21 minutes ago, slap said:

The J/35 came out 37 years ago and rates 72.  And the J/109 came out 16 years ago and rates 69.   And there are a number of other boats around 35 feet long with similar performance from the 1980's and 1990's.

The Schock 35 and of course the Beneteau 36.7 are two that easily come to mind.   Both are competitive with the J-35.  

Do they get those ratings primarily because of downwind speed?

2 hours ago, slap said:

The J/35 came out 37 years ago and rates 72.  And the J/109 came out 16 years ago and rates 69.   And there are a number of other boats around 35 feet long with similar performance from the 1980's and 1990's.

Wouldn't you consider those race boats?  The Bene is a cruiser/racer type.  A 35' furniture boat with a PHRF of 70 or better is pretty good.  No?

3 minutes ago, MauiPunter said:

Wouldn't you consider those race boats?  The Bene is a cruiser/racer type.  A 35' furniture boat with a PHRF of 70 or better is pretty good.  No?

J/109:

J109_interior07-862-913-470-100-c.jpg

The J/35 isn't as "nice" belowdecks, but it came out 37 years ago:

J35_interior_main-554-913-470-100-c.jpg

• Like 1

Interesting...   That 109 looks beautiful.  I'm not very familiar with the Js, but, they look nicer than I expected.  I had assumed they were all like shells down below.

It seems the Js havent embraced the fat arsed designs (yet?).  They are fairly slim.

3 hours ago, Santana20AE said:

The Schock 35 and of course the Beneteau 36.7 are two that easily come to mind.   Both are competitive with the J-35.  

My Sydney 36 rated in the low 60's at least in Hawaii, where we have big breeze and waves.  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Hawaiidart said:

My Sydney 36 rated in the low 60's at least in Hawaii, where we have big breeze and waves.  

Does it plane when off the wind?

3 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

Does it plane when off the wind?

It lumbers mostly; it will surf a bit on a wave but at 11,000 pounds, no, it doesn't plane.  However, it's steady and well behaved.  But in breeze, it goes upwind with the eagerness of a Golden Retriever chasing a ball in a rainstorm.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Hawaiidart said:

It lumbers mostly; it will surf a bit on a wave but at 11,000 pounds, no, it doesn't plane.  However, it's steady and well behaved.  But in breeze, it goes upwind with the eagerness of a Golden Retriever chasing a ball in a rainstorm.

lol.  Nice analogy.

Marina repo Wauquiez 43 ketch asking $45k.  First of the wave?  I bet you could get it for next to nothing; could be a good buy if the teak decks aren't shot.  Doesn't look bad from the few pics.  I'd take a look if it had another cabin.  

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/boa/d/national-city-wauquiez-sailboat/7106340826.html

image.png.ead09d303ea3b056eb0eaf0c976412cf.png

Those are very cool cruising boats but a teak deck that has been cooking unattended in Dago for presumably years and a 7K hours diesel?

On 4/9/2020 at 10:46 AM, MauiPunter said:

Interesting...   That 109 looks beautiful.  I'm not very familiar with the Js, but, they look nicer than I expected.  I had assumed they were all like shells down below.

It seems the Js havent embraced the fat arsed designs (yet?).  They are fairly slim.

The new J/99 is the fatest arsed one yet, and still not fat by current standards....

J99 Interior | Sailboat, Floor plans, Interior

Interior is a little more shell like, a little less "furniturey"

J/99 - Yachting Monthly

I was thinking all Js look like that or less.  Interesting to see the full furniture versions.

11 hours ago, socalrider said:

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/boa/d/san-diego-ranger-33-sailboat/7106730115.html

This looks pretty fantastic - tiller, new engine, new main... not sure on the price but could be a great boat.  

My major concerns with a '76:  wet core in the deck and the age of the engine.  Assuming the standing rigging is in good shape, that could be a heck of a deal.  Instead of "new", I wish they had given the engine hours or at least when it was installed, but it is certainly worth a call to ask when the deck hardware was last rebedded and if there are any soft spots.

If those pictures are remotely accurate, that is a steal.

I suspect we're going to be seeing more of that sort of thing before long.

Yeah, but half of them will be scattered around the world at the locations where they were abandoned in the middle of the night.  Present condition doubtful.  

6 minutes ago, dolphinmaster said:

$75K wow!

$

Welcome to the SF Bay Area.  

Give it a few months.  If the economy nosedives as badly as is being predicted, the boat will either come off the market or the price will drop substantially.  

Either she needs more than a little TLC, or that's a "I really want to sell this boat" price.

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

Looks like Covid pricing has started.

That's $21,500 USD - Asking. Certainly worth a look.

image.png.d4cb1a40cef13c2751b4af55911f3637.png

https://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/1976-Gulfstar-Ketch-50-ft_35667797

Wow.  

So far I haven't seen evidence of COVID pricing.  On the contrary, no less than three boats I've been looking at seriously have sold, reportedly near their asking prices.  

I think there might be a counter-trend going on with people stuck at home browsing Yachtworld, and maybe contemplating a downturn that would make this a good time to go cruising if you're not strapped.  I know I fall into that category.  

10 hours ago, paps49 said:

Speaking of Covid  boat shopping anyone know what this is.
US production boat but not specified.
Funky mixture of styles.

https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats-for-sale/used/sailing-boats/custom/233490

Funk.jpg

That looks like a Yorktown.

AFAIK they were all hull & deck kits and home brew finishing.

All ugly as sin and I've never seen one with quality fit-out.

• Like 1

Ever heard the term "Flipper"?

Given the economics of boats, especially sailboats, I am constantly surprised that there are people out there who try and flip boats.

6 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Same guy selling. I guess his real name could be flipper.

9 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

I thought that was reserved for Anacortes powerboats?

dKU4AL4vQnKHiGTw5muS_northern-marine-85-

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Ishmael said:

I thought that was reserved for Anacortes powerboats?

dKU4AL4vQnKHiGTw5muS_northern-marine-85-

Reminds of this

and these

I don't know what that life boat self rightening test is doing in the video though.

On 4/23/2020 at 8:40 AM, bmiller said:

Relisted on Ebay. Got to wonder what happened.

probably the owner doing a shill bid on the first auction trying to get the price up before the auction ended so he didn't have to give it away, and then claim to ebay that the buyer flaked out.  so he gets to relist it...

• Like 1

This may, or may not, be a bargain.

91951463_934.jpg

Good 1970s boat with full head of sails and lots of extras.
It's getting pretty run down, needs TLC and I can't maintain it.

Reliable Faryman diesel with two parts engines will keep it running forever.

New electronic tiller pilot.

Free open water moorage available.

$2900 CAD. https://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/2839-Crown-sail-boat_35763381

• Like 1

full head of sails

The quarter berth was full?

Good knockoff of the Cal 2-29. Probably worth saving.

The Seafarer 31-1:  I think one of the most beautiful Bill Tripp designs.

As much as I appreciate the practicality of the rig for long-range cruising, and as much as I dig the look, it's just not for the short-hop, coastal cruising me.  Too much hardware and maintenance  for too little benefit.  But, oh that sheer line, bow and transom.  That's what a sailboat is supposed to look like.There is a sloop version of this model docked at the yacht club I pass every trip out into the Sound.  Meticulously maintained and cared for; just a sheer joy to see sail or even sitting at the dock.  Not the fastest sailer, but boy does she turn heads when she goes by (or you go by her, more likely).

This yawl looks to be in good shape, but it's hard to tell for sure from the photos.  In any case, she's been painted and repowered.

I really don't get why sellers don't take an extra ten minutes to set up good photos....

https://newhaven.craigslist.org/boa/d/guilford-seafarer-31-yawl/7101203592.html

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ishmael said:

This may, or may not, be a bargain.

91951463_934.jpg

Good 1970s boat with full head of sails and lots of extras.
It's getting pretty run down, needs TLC and I can't maintain it.

Reliable Faryman diesel with two parts engines will keep it running forever.

New electronic tiller pilot.

Free open water moorage available.

$2900 CAD. https://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/2839-Crown-sail-boat_35763381

I don't know about anyone else's situation, but my garage is cluttered enough without two parts engines.

Are there no garden sheds?

Are there no storage lockers?

10 hours ago, SemiSalt said:

I don't know about anyone else's situation, but my garage is cluttered enough without two parts engines.

Pallet racking - you can use all that vertical space too...

FKT

https://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/boa/d/harrison-township-1976-chaser-33/7121399980.html

1976 Chaser 33 Sailboat

LOA: 33ft
Beam: 10.5ft
Draft: 6ft

This Chaser 33 has been on Lake St. Clair for the past 25yrs, used mostly for racing. In 2019 the boat finished mid-pack in the Bayview Mackinac Race, so very capable of racing or local cruising. The time has come for the current owners to upgrade to a larger boat due to growing family.

The structural condition of the boat is good, with the bottom stripped to gel-coat in Spring-2019 and epoxy barrier coat applied to protrect the hull. The interior is in fair but dated condition.

Overall, the boat serves as an excellent platform for the budget minded person looking to spend time on the great lakes, including overnight "camping", or alternatively, great for someone looking to get into racing.

Interior (from front to rear)
V-birth: Double Bunk (currently, no cushions)
Head/Toilet (on Port)
Hanging/Wet Locker (on Starboard)
Bench seats: Single Bunks (on both sides of main cabin)
Pilot Births: Single Bunks (on both sides, above bench seats)
Nav Station (on Starboard)
Galley (2-burner Alcohol stove, Ice Box, Sink basin - on port)
Quarter Birth: Single Bunk (on Starboard)

Total sleeping: 7-people

Mechanical
Mast & Rigging (new in 1999 - solid SS rod rigging)
Atomic 4 inboard engine
Folding Prop
qty-4 Cabin Top Winches
qty-2 Primary Winches

Sails
Main Sail (carbon laminate, Quantum in 2012, very good condition)
Main Sail (Dacron older, but fair condition)
#1 Genoa 155% (laminate, fair/poor condition)
#2 Genoa ~130% (Dacron)
0.5oz Spinnaker
0.75oz Spinnaker
1.5oz Spinnaker

Electronics
VHF Radio
AM/FM/CD/Bluetooth Stereo

00E0E_53w6QfYvkqa_600x450.jpg

Maybe he saw that the "free" one got stuck in the mocking thread.

2 hours ago, SpongeDeckSquareFoil said:

At $3000 I have to give credit to the Chaser 33 seller. He seems to be realistic regarding the market for a not well known 40 yr old boat.

46 minutes ago, toddster said:

Maybe he saw that the "free" one got stuck in the mocking thread.

A Chaser owner would know the difference between the 33 3/4 Tonner and the Binliner splash of the Chaser 29 1/2 Tonner

On 4/9/2020 at 1:18 PM, slap said:

J/109:

J109_interior07-862-913-470-100-c.jpg

The J/35 isn't as "nice" belowdecks, but it came out 37 years ago:

J35_interior_main-554-913-470-100-c.jpg

That j/109 photo is definitely using a wide angle lens. And as for the J/35, I don’t think I’ve ever seen one that nice. Where are all the wet sails? Wine glasses !?!

Nothing wrong with an A4, killer deal. My bet the interior is just as nice.

16 hours ago, Sea warrior said:

I’ll throw this out there.

I know it has an atomic 4 but otherwise it seems like a good deal for a starter boat.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/boa/d/chicago-classic-sabre-28-price-cut-50/7121858810.html

If those pictures are current and representative of what the boat actually looks like and the interior's not a mess, that's a hell of a deal, A4 or not.

Here's a guy with good sense... not mocking!

https://columbia.craigslist.org/boa/d/lexington-seeking-disposal-of-26-ft/7127003897.html

Seeking disposal of 26 ft sailboat

image.png.9db3d5933e19e66d1925d18789b8338a.png

Finally, a person who has the good sense to realize he's going to have to pay somebody to haul off his old needs-a-lot-more-than-TLC boat (a Pearson 26 btw)

FB- Doug

On 5/10/2020 at 5:20 PM, SloopJonB said:

A Chaser owner would know the difference between the 33 3/4 Tonner and the Binliner splash of the Chaser 29 1/2 Tonner

They would. But there is a difference between the Binliner and the full-on 1/2 ton Chaser.  I know as we won VARC boat of the year twice on the 1/2 ton Chaser called "Hortense" DO you know how to make a Hortense? Don't pay her! That said I raced a 33 Binlner too and the Korean version too. Very, very heavy helmed boat in any breeze downwind. Lost the rig one in Swiftsure 1980 right at Race Passage. We were winning too.

IIRC the production version of the one toner Eclipse....had a rotating keel for a while......

6 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Looks worth a look at that price. That's $11K USD.

By the way, it's a Rogers built Contessa 39.

image.png.f34107a2e0ee370a14e97f8c9c6bcda0.png

https://www.usedvancouver.com/classified-ad/Petersom-1985-39-foot--sloop-Kevlar_35874624

There's lots of places to stand, but nowhere to sit except for the helmsman. Full race mode old warhorse. That said, a good price for a quality boat.

92634930_934.jpg

On 6/7/2020 at 1:24 AM, Ishmael said:

There's lots of places to stand, but nowhere to sit except for the helmsman. Full race mode old warhorse. That said, a good price for a quality boat.

92634930_934.jpg

I used to sail a half pound in a similar style. The fenders were those big inflatable things, on a delivery we left them inflated against the inside of the rail and leant back on them. It was actually remarkably comfortable. We were all in our early 20s, so perhaps it wasn't as comfortable as I'm remembering.

4 hours ago, Vaeredil said:

https://m.sailboatlistings.com/view/86155

20k CAD Newick Val II, never launched, wing mast, needs the last 20%

main.jpg

22-travaux-sur-le-ma770t-avant-recouvrem

5-sortie_face_SBL.jpg

Beautiful boat, I like the Maori deck pattern.

But I thought it was a rule, all home builds had to be "85% finished" in order to be sold?

FB- Doug

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Beautiful boat, I like the Maori deck pattern.

But I thought it was a rule, all home builds had to be "85% finished" in order to be sold?

FB- Doug

typo, i'm sure it is indeed 85% complete

• Like 1

So the seller is 5% more honest?  

Cool boat though....

• Like 3

On 6/6/2020 at 5:24 PM, Ishmael said:

92634930_934.jpg

It was RVYC boat. Did okay in those days. The owner was quite the gentleman and well respected. It a tiller when it was full race. I think it had some core or delam issues if memory serves. I saw it at Nanaimo YC and just about shit myself. It a huge arch at one point for a lot of solar panels, wind generator etc and a sort of swim grid off the transom. It was a mess and I have shot of it in my files somewhere as I didn't believe it! It's the typical type see "cheap 39' boat". And no idea what there are looking at. 

• Like 1

On 6/8/2020 at 3:41 AM, Vaeredil said:

https://m.sailboatlistings.com/view/86155

20k CAD Newick Val II, never launched, wing mast, needs the last 20%

main.jpg

22-travaux-sur-le-ma770t-avant-recouvrem

5-sortie_face_SBL.jpg

We completely repainted her last summer, inside and outside, with a polyurethane paint 

I find it odd that an admitted non-sailor would decide to paint this project prior to selling. Sounds like a technique a used car salesmen would use.....

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

CC5B328F-22F7-42A1-8F2B-96548C4E4DA3.jpeg

Need a link so we can see the rest of the photos.....

On 6/6/2020 at 5:16 PM, SloopJonB said:

Looks worth a look at that price. That's $11K USD.

By the way, it's a Rogers built Contessa 39.

image.png.f34107a2e0ee370a14e97f8c9c6bcda0.png

https://www.usedvancouver.com/classified-ad/Petersom-1985-39-foot--sloop-Kevlar_35874624

Very cool boats in their day, hard to get my head around it selling for $19,000 and that's cheese bucks isn't it???

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zenmasterfred said:

Very cool boats in their day, hard to get my head around it selling for $19,000 and that's cheese bucks isn't it???

Down to 15,000 monopoly money now. There has GOT to be some big fucking issue there, for sure. In the pictures condition something like that would get listed at 50k+ CAD easy

8 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

CC5B328F-22F7-42A1-8F2B-96548C4E4DA3.jpeg

That's a beauty.

Already had the discussion with Mrs Steam. Even with the Volvo which I've already owned one of and don't want a repeat.

FB- Doug

‘Some’ water damage.  Extensive ‘cleaning’. Water damage due to having had water ‘inside’ during storage...  Yup, well, don’t buy it cuz it’s cheap.... it’s not gonna be cheap when you’re done with it.  The 38 may be related but it’s a far cry from the 36.  As it’s the ‘only’ 36 in the US, that’s not gonna be an advantage when it comes to selling sometime in the future.  But, if ya just gotta have it and sweat equity is a fair trade to you,.....

Well, if I had a few less boats named Sweat Equity I’d be on it like a cop on a donut. 

I’d want the tiller version myself...

12 hours ago, zenmasterfred said:

Emailed the seller, here's the response:

Hello the boat had some fresh water that entered a broken cockpit hose and compromised the batteries and a few switches, batteries have been replace and the boat has been cleaned and is dry.
It is running great and needs a good cleaning and a few things repaired but all in all it is in good condition and could be ran no problem at all.

9 hours ago, Vaeredil said:

Down to 15,000 monopoly money now. There has GOT to be some big fucking issue there, for sure. In the pictures condition something like that would get listed at 50k+ CAD easy

Nah....there's not much call/market for IOR boats of that ilk. Barely cruisable with no private head compartment either. That would be a deal-breaker for any SO'. That said - I think it was a liveaboard when it was at Surrey by the sea. I can see the swim ladder now that was fashionably executed by Home Hardware. A little unphuqued from what it was there. I still remember there was some delam/core issues from near new. At 15K the seller should sell it and run! 50K CAD is in more line with older C&C's etc in that size and a hell of a lot cruisable.    

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Orion Jim said:

Thanks for the hyperlink. The listing is chock full of caveats....I would be very careful dealing with this organization.

I bought my H-Boat in 2014 from Martime Funding (https://www.blockislandmaritime.com/) in Rhode Island. It's a non-profit that handles boats donated to other non-profits. This does not appear to be one of theirs.

5 hours ago, Veeger said:

‘Some’ water damage.  Extensive ‘cleaning’. Water damage due to having had water ‘inside’ during storage...  Yup, well, don’t buy it cuz it’s cheap.... it’s not gonna be cheap when you’re done with it.  The 38 may be related but it’s a far cry from the 36.  As it’s the ‘only’ 36 in the US, that’s not gonna be an advantage when it comes to selling sometime in the future.  But, if ya just gotta have it and sweat equity is a fair trade to you,.....

All true. Not looking for a project.

38 minutes ago, Bull City said:

I bought my H-Boat in 2014 from Martime Funding (https://www.blockislandmaritime.com/) in Rhode Island. It's a non-profit that handles boats donated to other non-profits. This does not appear to be one of theirs.

All true. Not looking for a project.

does you H-Boat know you have an active dating profile on yacht world BC?

3 hours ago, Maxx Baqustae said:

I still remember there was some delam/core issues from near new.

You're right about that Maxx but I can't remember what the exact problem was - delam I think. I remember it was quite serious and stuck in my mind because it was a Contessa so very unusual for a problem like that. Likely had to do with the Kevlar lamination.

I heard about it via one of those "Friend of a friend of my father's knew some guy who was involved" connections.

Anyway, that was 35 years ago and it's still floating after being rode hard for most of those years so...

1 hour ago, chester said:

does you H-Boat know you have an active dating profile on yacht world BC?

I try to keep it a secret, but I think she suspects something.

• Like 1

On 6/6/2020 at 8:24 PM, Ishmael said:

There's lots of places to stand, but nowhere to sit

92634930_934.jpg

Plenty of space on the rail....

• Like 1