Uhhhh... guys - if you look close, I believe that's $600 for a three hour tour.

11 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Uhhhh... guys - if you look close, I believe that's $600 for a three hour tour.

Well that's not nearly as amusing.

Do you think he'd take $1000 for the boat?

• Like 3

On 6/17/2020 at 1:25 AM, paps49 said:

Kevlar is a biatch to bond, hense it's fall from grace. It pretty much repels everything.  If you stress test any laminate that includes kevlar that's where it will de-laminate every time. I  know of one that delaminated  in a female mold just due to a very clumsy rolling over process.

The very worst thing about Kevlar: it absorbs water aggressively. So paint damage can lead to the entire structure absorbing water, breaking the bonds at the molecular level, resulting in no structure whatsoever. 

https://www.proboat.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/cindarellarepairs126low.pdf

• Like 1

On 6/22/2020 at 10:39 AM, Maxx Baqustae said:

Found this from my files now. This was when it was in Surrey by the Sea (Nanaimo) being used as a liveaboard I think.  A whole a lot crap on it but has been a little"unphuqued" now. I didn't believe it when I saw it. Nice treatment for the dodger! 

Kelea 2.jpg

Kelea.jpg

You nailed it with those photos.  I don't know if the photos in the ad were taken when the current owner bought her or if they are current.

But I saw her in Nanaimo in the winter of 2018 and she looked pretty much exactly like the photos you posted.  Didn't know whether to laugh, cry, or throw up.  If you look look closely, you can see Home Depot 2x4 "bulwarks" nailed, screwed, or glued (I can't remember which) to the deck inside the toe rails IIRC.

But to illustrate how little old IOR boats can be bought for - Mad Max sold last year and was advertised at CAD 10k.  And she was pretty immaculate and had a new engine/saildrive installed a year before.  Would be a handful to sail for anyone with cruising or even beer can racing aspirations.  I thought about making an offer for her - for about 5 seconds.  Way too much hassle owning a boat like that.

But for someone with some hotshot dinghy sailor friends she could have been a great buy.  Race her for a year or two with little or no maintenance expenditures.  Then part her out or send her to the landfill once things start falling apart.  Or find someone like the guy who bought Kelea and turn her into a roomy and inexpensive "blank canvas" liveaboard.MKPhoto-0589.jpg

On 7/8/2020 at 12:37 PM, Hukilau said:

Well that's not nearly as amusing.

how much did ginger and mary anne pay for a three hour tour,  ended up being a 15 year vacation...  might be fun  depends on who you get stuck with...

The ad says it:  "well-loved and maintained".  Very clearly so.

2 hours ago, Prairie Boater said:

She's a beauty.  But the boat hasn't been in the water for 10 years.  For a wooden boat, that can be a killer.  

On 7/29/2020 at 4:35 AM, Hukilau said:

She's a beauty.  But the boat hasn't been in the water for 10 years.  For a wooden boat, that can be a killer.  

Looks like wood epoxy but yeah if it's trad lapstrake you might have to pickle it for a bit.

1 hour ago, mcsailor0303 said:

This looks like a lot of boat for the money... https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/87395

For all the features they list in the ad, and as nice as that boat looks otherwise, they're awfully terse about the engine. It's a Westerbeke 21 HP... okay, what's the model, hour count, and condition? Why no pictures?

My automatic guess in these situations is that it's a rustball original to the boat with 5000+ hours and terrible access to filters and dipsticks. I always hope to be proven otherwise!

2 hours ago, mcsailor0303 said:

This looks like a lot of boat for the money... https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/87395

I looked into these a bit when I was boat searching a while back. Some of these had extensive wet core issues and were priced accordingly. The ad doesn't say anything, but I wonder if that is why the price seems so low. Otherwise, the boat looks great in the pictures.  

1 hour ago, feist said:

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2005/koopmans-center-board-cutter-rigged-3700720/

Impressively outfitted boat for the money. Things get a bit mock worthy with the weight... If it was 12,000lbs lighter I'd be selling up and sailing away. 

"built in the Netherlands and the hull was shipped to New Zealand to be finished"

that doesn't sound like great project mgmt but what do I know.

16 tons? on a 39'?

That must be some thick aluminium.

14 hours ago, steele said:

Posted because I recall a fellow anarchist looking for a decent midsize boat on a trailer, S2s shoud be  better than average.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/d/bainbridge-island-1980-s2-80b-sailboat/7174259481.html

I contacted the seller about headroom, just a bit cramped. It does look like a very nice boat but I think 20K is pricey for a 40 year old 26 foot boat. Regardless of the investment.

Saw this pop up yesterday

https://pensacola.craigslist.org/boa/d/pensacola-2-92a/7188043103.html

$3,950

S2 (Made in Wisconsin, USA) 9.2A (29'11'') Cruiser... purchased in 2013 from 3rd owner who sailed her to the Bahamas annually for years, Thought we'd sold it, potential owner left this realm. Boat is currently in Shalimar.
Engine is inop. Sounds like the flywheel has come loose and starter engages it but it is the only thing that turns... and bangs around inside. Yanmar 2GM maybe rebuidable.
The sails and rigging are decent, the hull is good. I have pulled and cleaned the cushions. Decent Raymarine Chartplotter and Auto Pilot. Depth Finder / Fish Finder work. ICOM VHF. needs new Mic. Needs bottom job and more clean up. Available to first reasonable offer as is, where is. Which is in a full service Marina.

On 8/28/2020 at 6:54 PM, steele said:

Posted because I recall a fellow anarchist looking for a decent midsize boat on a trailer, S2s shoud be  better than average.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/d/bainbridge-island-1980-s2-80b-sailboat/7174259481.html

I looked at one of those a decade ago, and I liked it a lot. About the only reason I didn't buy it was it had an OB which was heavy and awkward to raise and lower, plus I was tired of the issues of having the OB on the transom, i.e. not good in waves. I never expected to cruise, so I didn't put much weight on issues like headroom. 

1b4e91ddb00b66a63a93150978ec0d9b306a915f

6d276328d10111e2701efa18dcf8f481a687cc6d

Alan Pape, 1981. In Saint Malo, France for a mere 110K EUR.

If I was in the market for a liveaboard / dieaboard, I would be very tempted.

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure that I did a ton of the interior structure on that Perry way back when with my buddy Doug. I recognize the back yard even.

This could be an expensive free boat, but the price is right. https://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/FREE-Ranger-26-Sailboat_36499067

95538057_934.jpg

Hull and deck complete
Rig complete

New high-end foam mattresses, little used
New setee cushions, little used

Complete sail inventory, in workable condition
- 1 older conventional mainsail
- 1 newer fully battened mainsail
- 1 jib
- 2 genoas
- 1 spinaker

This boat is not as nice and clean as shown in pictures. It will need a haulout and thorough cleaning, inside and out.
Ground tackle: 2 anchors, 1 with chain

Needs an outboard motor

On 9/5/2020 at 3:35 AM, Matagi said:

1b4e91ddb00b66a63a93150978ec0d9b306a915f

6d276328d10111e2701efa18dcf8f481a687cc6d

Alan Pape, 1981. In Saint Malo, France for a mere 110K EUR.

If I was in the market for a liveaboard / dieaboard, I would be very tempted.

Wasn't sure where to put this...  or even if I should.   But too good to pass up.   What a gem!

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2753391541647627

Seller's description

Only one owner. Fred Possibly needs a few upgrades. In original condition and it runs.

Image may contain: shoes

When I was a kid our mechanic neighbour made one of those for parades. Used dead hot water tanks for the rollers

The Thornton Yachts link only hooks up to an add for the 83-foot version, though they are asking considerably more than $1

Looks to be the same boat to me, but without the models...

"Thornton Yachts Inc. based in Newport Beach with various yard in southern California has a long history dating back to Lancer Yacht Corporation, based in Irvine California. The company abandoned smaller cruising yachts and now makes only luxury cruising, super, and mega yachts."

40 minutes ago, toddster said:

The Thornton Yachts link only hooks up to an add for the 83-foot version, though they are asking considerably more than $1

Looks to be the same boat to me, but without the models...

"Thornton Yachts Inc. based in Newport Beach with various yard in southern California has a long history dating back to Lancer Yacht Corporation, based in Irvine California. The company abandoned smaller cruising yachts and now makes only luxury cruising, super, and mega yachts."

Nice find. I guess it will sell somewhere in between...

24 minutes ago, Future MOB said:

Nice find. I guess it will sell somewhere in between...

At $1 it belongs here.  At $3.8M, certainly in the mocking thread. 

Interior shots seem a bit spartan for $3.8M.  But they want $7.5M for their motorsailor, which seems to have no mast.  And their mega-catamaran seems to have that "50% completed" look. But hey, I'll bet they could finish it up for $11.3M!

2 hours ago, luminary said:

I count 21 winches in one photo.

Seven roller furlers, no booms... Ought to be 7 halyards, 7 furling lines, 14 sheets, no?  

5 hours ago, Future MOB said:

Not sure if this should be here, or in "mocking". Any idea what this is?

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/boa/d/torrance-large-sailboat/7205691657.html

00X0X_iwZAPDm2Bjl_0gw0co_600x450.jpg

With that Jungle Gym behind the cockpit it's probably intended for people with small kids.

6 hours ago, luminary said:

I count 21 winches in one photo.

Hey, it's California.

4 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

It's a long way from home, though. I bet there's a story.....

FB- Doug

Prodigal gaff...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Matagi said:

For sale in Sweden, 120,000.

SEK, that is.

Very intriguing.

sweden.jpg

https://www.blocket.se/annons/jonkoping/cr_7a_wonitopa/90438226

The listing pics show two things I’ve never seen before.  A boom gallows frame suspended between the two running back stays.  An innovative dodger extension.  Of course, I’m not too keen on running back stays in principle.  Nor would I be particularly pleased with using the center of my jib sheet winches to support that dodger extension, but creative nonetheless.

That sheer line leaves something to be desired.

9 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

That sheer line leaves something to be desired.

My thoughts EXACTLY, when I first saw that pic

7 hours ago, alphafb552 said:

Probably still the most successful and effective pointless and useless vehicle ever built

FTFY

• Like 2

This beauty showed up today on CL Staten Island. 

12709604-C9B6-4EF0-A586-08BAA3667C75.jpeg

6036555A-7512-4046-A1CB-9431BFF3F62D.jpeg

14 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

This beauty showed up today on CL Staten Island. 

12709604-C9B6-4EF0-A586-08BAA3667C75.jpeg

6036555A-7512-4046-A1CB-9431BFF3F62D.jpeg

link? $?

37 minutes ago, Hukilau said:

That's a lotta boat for 65K

There's an old thread on SA about that boat. Guy did some cool work on it, including that traveler bridge.

I wish it had been for sale when I was looking. 

39 minutes ago, Hukilau said:

That's a lotta boat for 65K

Certainly the longest 39 footer you're likely to find.

• Like 3

Love the Swede 55. Oh, my.  Anything that long and sleek and low....

The weird-ass boat upthread with the facetted masts and all those roller furling sails was a long-time fixture in the Ala Wai harbor out here in Honolulu.  Trust me, it’s even odder in person.

I love a 53’ boat with a 23hp diesel!  Funky but gorgeous to my eye. Seems like a great price too. 

That is my old boat, and I really miss her! Lots of information in the Swede 55 thread about the boats. Fast as hell in the right conditions, and perfectly mannered in all conditions.

• Like 2

This ad seems poised on the cusp between mocking and not mocking. Some intrepid spirit took it to the limits of the frigid North...trailing a line. The boat is listed with all the gear for long passages, and someone has made the effort to modify it with electric propulsion for getting in and out of port. On the other hand, the head looks like a johnny-house and the sink has no water.  But I believe there is some underlying charm to this boat. Some rugged soul could love it. A bit of bilgekote in places inside would certainly brighten it up too.

https://eastnc.craigslist.org/boa/d/new-bern-rawson-30/7209447474.html

Rawson 30 - $10,000 (New Bern)

<image 1 of 17>

I can imagine few worse boats to convert to electric. Those things are motorsailers - they owe time to Cal 20's according to PHRF

12 minutes ago, See Level said:

Ron Rawson may have built the only "ice class" fiberglass sailboat

Apparently it does move at iceberg speeds, although Rimas never even got it that quick.