Recommended Posts

Scepter 36's are pretty nice boats and well built. I don't know how fast they are because the one I know couldn't keep up with our C&C 29-2 and I think it may have been more the skipper than the boat...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was the skipper. Sceptre 36's are not particularly fast - PHRF in the 130's - but they owe a C&C 29 30 or 40 seconds a mile.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes I saw the ad for the Sceptre but did not have time to go see it. Will look next time I am out and I am surprised it hasn't sold already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On Saturday, June 17, 2017 at 1:06 PM, Norse Horse said:

Did you see this one? A real looker. https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/bod/6154946745.html

 

00j0j_8dfwwg9nSb3_1200x900.jpg

Great boats and the designer/builder was long time friend and club mate. I raced on his own Crown 34 in '70's. A lot of history with me there and the particular one was in the club. The only thing with the Sceptre 36 that they had blister problems from build. The only thing for some is if you are over 6' tall or so headroom in the galley might be an issue. But a pretty commodious boats all around.  

Beware that our club looked at that C&C 34 for a program and turns out it was heavily grounded at one point to the point of heavy damage. It was a pretty amateur repair so we took a pass. It's an estate sale so the estate might have not known. 

Buchan 37 are great boats as long as it was taken care of as they are long tooth age wise.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

It was the skipper. Sceptre 36's are not particularly fast - PHRF in the 130's - but they owe a C&C 29 30 or 40 seconds a mile.

You are quite right SJB. Not a racer but good cruiser with crank of speed. Basically, Hien - the designer, took the very successful Crown 34 and a station or two to increase the beam. Add a Ron Holland type of transom. It seems to stick in the light. Still a handsome design. And the owner of that specific boat was 5'6" or less so headroom wasn't a big factor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there much difference between North West boats vs North East boats?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, MauiPunter said:

Is there much difference between North West boats vs North East boats?

North West boats spend their lives in the water, I think a lot of North East boats get hauled for the winter. So the NE boats don't have floating stresses on them, their rigs come down more often for inspection, and any water hiding in cracks in the hull or appendages freezes and expands. I hear of a lot more E boats needing new rudders than W boats.

Edit: Also, NW boats get a lot more fresh water rinsing so their rigs last longer. (A theory expounded by a couple of surveyors I know).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If North East includes the Great Lakes, the boat spends six or seven months a year in fresh water.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It does not.

The Great lake region is what we call the "Mid-West" and is not considered "East Coast"

As the US grew from its population centers in the NE (where much of the populace lived in or near the Boston-Baltimore corridor) the "West" was initially Harrisburg(PA) ,  then Pittsburgh & Buffalo,  then Ohio,  and eventually Chicago.

The airline that Howard Hughes owned - TWA - that he 're-named' Trans-World-Airlines,   was originally Trans-WESTERN-Airlines and the "WEST" they were referring to was West of the Appalachian mountians  ( their early routes were largely Philly-Pittsburgh type stuff)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Great Red Shark said:

It does not.

The Great lake region is what we call the "Mid-West" and is not considered "East Coast"

As the US grew from its population centers in the NE (where much of the populace lived in or near the Boston-Baltimore corridor) the "West" was initially Harrisburg(PA) ,  then Pittsburgh & Buffalo,  then Ohio,  and eventually Chicago.

The airline that Howard Hughes owned - TWA - that he 're-named' Trans-World-Airlines,   was originally Trans-WESTERN-Airlines and the "WEST" they were referring to was West of the Appalachian mountians  ( their early routes were largely Philly-Pittsburgh type stuff)

 

 

b510423d3f86b92884dc21fe1eb29cee.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/21/2017 at 10:30 AM, toddster said:

Dunno... the moss and lichen in the rigging might be kinda corrosive :unsure:

That's only on the north facing side of a boat (unless you spin the boat around at least once a month).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/8/2017 at 9:14 AM, Schnappi said:

6K seems like a nice price for this Aphrodite 101 that needs a bit of work. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sailboat-1979-Aphrodite-101-/263068748951?hash=item3d401e8c97:g:eTYAAOSwyltZRxtQ&vxp=mtr

s-l1600.jpg

Yes, apparently it was. Much as I like my current boat, I miss the ease and sheer pleasure of single handing the Aphrodite. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still looking online and will be back on the left coast in late Sept.  Will have my wife with me this time so able to make a decision on the  spot.  We appreciate the feedback.  There is a C & C 38 landfall ( I have heard them called landfill) up in Comox that looks interesting at 55K and seems well equipped, would appreciate any comments.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, usedtobeoldestsailor said:

Still looking online and will be back on the left coast in late Sept.  Will have my wife with me this time so able to make a decision on the  spot.  We appreciate the feedback.  There is a C & C 38 landfall ( I have heard them called landfill) up in Comox that looks interesting at 55K and seems well equipped, would appreciate any comments.

 

Join the "C&C List" by signing up for the email discussion group at http://cnc-list.com/mailman/listinfo/cnc-list_cnc-list.com

Also accessible by going through here: http://www.cncphotoalbum.com/

Many LF 38 owners on the list, much good advice.

#1. Check the mast step.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wet core? Otherwise a steal of a deal for a boat that gets undeservedly trashed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/28/2017 at 9:41 PM, Ishmael said:

Join the "C&C List" by signing up for the email discussion group at http://cnc-list.com/mailman/listinfo/cnc-list_cnc-list.com

Also accessible by going through here: http://www.cncphotoalbum.com/

Many LF 38 owners on the list, much good advice.

#1. Check the mast step.

Thanks Ish.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just posted that in Coolboats.

Garden talks about it in one of his books. Someone gave him an old Thunderbird keel so he designed Toadstool around it then built it himself on Toad Island for himself.

About as special as boats get.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, mcmurdo said:

The owner/seller (Lloyd) is the former owner of the schooner Suva and therefore well versed in wooden craft.

Not a close friend, but I did sell him a piece of property a year or two ago.

He is a good guy.  

Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mcmurdo said:

Thanks for the info. I kinda remember the story now.

Any idea what happened to the rest of the Tbird? 

It's outside the environment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know free boats never are, but as far as project boats go, this might be good for someone.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/bridgewater/project-boat/1297333812?utm_source=alerts&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=email_alerts

And then there is this one - initial ask was $3K, now it sounds like the Owner just needs to get it gone.  A boat with a good reputation for performance if not so much for build, who knows what this one has had done. 

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/cape-breton/make-an-offer/1297323805?utm_source=alerts&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=email_alerts

This time of year in the snow belt there are lots of intriguing deals....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RedRyder said:

Just happened upon this. The Admiral is unlikely to allow this one to follow me home, but....

 

Craigslist ad

 

00g0g_5RKirOZMVx6_1200x900.jpg

She's looking a little flat at the ends. Quick restoration probably take the best part of $300K. Fixing a hogged hull, double that. WAG all around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like a steal when you compare it to the 6 figures they want for things like Nordic Tugs - way less than the sales tax on one of them.

That trailer would recoup a big bunch of your capital cost too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/31/2017 at 1:38 PM, mcmurdo said:

Still for sale.

This ad has more pictures.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/boa/d/pocket-schooner-toadstool/6308278645.html

It's pretty obvious why no one has bought this death trap.

00606_gQNvfbIrFhq_1200x900.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

Anybody  up for a road trip? I dunno what this boat is but it looks like a real classic

https://onslow.craigslist.org/boa/d/daysailer-vintage-sailboat/6344495058.html

00000_N8B7cqPzfp_600x450.jpg

I bet how it ended up in Iowa is a story, too

FB- Doug

No, I don't want to go for a road trip. If I did that it would be far too likely to follow me home. And I need that boat like I need a hole in the head.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like a worthwhile project for a crazy person who wants to be owned by a boat - doesn't appear hogged and looks to be pretty solidly built.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice looking hull shape. 28' is too small to be a 22sq meter or 5.5/6 meter. I'm wondering if it's an old Dragon that someone removed the cuddy from. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HFC Hunter said:

This is the venn nexus of necromancy and necrophilia. It's where money will burn the hottest.

Ha...

I had to look up one of those words...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Anybody  up for a road trip? I dunno what this boat is but it looks like a real classic

https://onslow.craigslist.org/boa/d/daysailer-vintage-sailboat/6344495058.html

00000_N8B7cqPzfp_600x450.jpg

I bet how it ended up in Iowa is a story, too

FB- Doug

Damn, I like that.   If only I had money to burn to complete the restoration and maintain it.
 

Any ideas, make, model, and vintage?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is kinda cool, even though it is a mobo.

60691513_934.jpg

" She began as a private motor vessel commissioned for a Royal
Victoria Yacht Club member. She was designed and constructed by Herbert "Daddy" Gann and the fine trim yacht was launched at his yard now known as the home to Capital Iron in Victoria on July 8th, 1933.

She was sold to the BC Forest Service, where "NESIKA": (ne si'-ka)
Chinook jargon meaning "us" or "our" serviced the coast for over
50 years. She is 50 feet in length and is powered by a 4-71 detroit diesel. "

http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/29350678?trending/4

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, HFC Hunter said:

This is the venn nexus of necromancy and necrophilia. It's where money will burn the hottest.

Holy shit.

I love those two sentences, put together. It's a bit awkward to name a boat, but if I have a child in the future, that's what they will be named. We'll call him Nex for short.

 

2 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

Damn, I like that.   If only I had money to burn to complete the restoration and maintain it.
 

Any ideas, make, model, and vintage?

 

Nope. Looks like it could be an R-boat, or a 6-Meter. It might be a little small for one of them.

FB- Doug

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

She's a zombie, but no one has been cruel enough to inform the lady. If she's held her lines then use her as a plug - carbon would be fun, or monster-garage her in glass - then resell the corpse to the next vintage fetishist with masochistic wood tendances. 

(Looks like her rig's on the wall.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Get someone like Jesperson's to cold mould a layer of veneer over it - they've done at least one old 1/2 dead 6 that way and it worked very well.

Could even finish it bright afterwards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/25/2017 at 10:01 AM, Steam Flyer said:

Anybody  up for a road trip? I dunno what this boat is but it looks like a real classic

https://onslow.craigslist.org/boa/d/daysailer-vintage-sailboat/6344495058.html

00000_N8B7cqPzfp_600x450.jpg

I bet how it ended up in Iowa is a story, too

FB- Doug

WTF is a boat like that doing in Dorchester, Iowa?   Good find - good eye, Steamers - she may be a bit deep draft for your waters, though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:
On 10/25/2017 at 10:01 AM, Steam Flyer said:

Anybody  up for a road trip? I dunno what this boat is but it looks like a real classic

https://onslow.craigslist.org/boa/d/daysailer-vintage-sailboat/6344495058.html

00000_N8B7cqPzfp_600x450.jpg

I bet how it ended up in Iowa is a story, too

FB- Doug

WTF is a boat like that doing in Dorchester, Iowa?   Good find - good eye, Steamers - she may be a bit deep draft for your waters, though. 

 

Yep, not a good fit for our muddy waters. I think RK nailed it (pardon the pun), a Dragon. I'm not as familiar with the Dragon, only seen them a few times

-DSK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the lines on that Ben Seaborn. Old school, but I'm comfortable with old school. I'll bet it sails pretty sweet. Trailer is worth more than the $1000 asking price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/25/2017 at 9:34 AM, HFC Hunter said:

This is the venn nexus of necromancy and necrophilia. It's where money will burn the hottest.

Well said. I will use that someday ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

An old Seaborne fin keel design worthy of the thread. https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/boa/d/1955-sierra-26-wooden/6359321636.html

Designer bio here. Biography

00h0h_cBSW1PoA9EE_1200x900.jpg

 

I wish there were more pictures

Definitely worth saving, local classic. I vote "cool" on that one too

FB- Doug

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I seem to recall that boat being the origin of the glass Rawson 26'.

Can anyone yea or nay that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/26/2017 at 10:44 AM, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

WTF is a boat like that doing in Dorchester, Iowa?   Good find - good eye, Steamers - she may be a bit deep draft for your waters, though. 

More of a stability problem than a draft problem - looks like she's had all the lead removed from her keel!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, froggie said:
On 10/26/2017 at 10:44 AM, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

WTF is a boat like that doing in Dorchester, Iowa?   Good find - good eye, Steamers - she may be a bit deep draft for your waters, though. 

More of a stability problem than a draft problem - looks like she's had all the lead removed from her keel!

Maybe the guy who brought her to this condition took all the lead off because he needed it in his pencil?

FB- Doug

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/14/2017 at 10:10 AM, usedtobeoldestsailor said:

Thanks Ish.

 

Finally ended up buying a 1982 CS36T, boat is in good shape but has been neglected for the last few years, needs more TLC than we really wanted to do, but the price reflected that and her survey was OK.  Back in Ontario now, regretfully, but plan to get back to her soon.  Thanks for all of the helpful suggestions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not on Craigslist, Ebay instead..... but a very interesting boat

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1981-Rodgers-33-Sailboat-Maryland/352195177833?hash=item520077ed69:g:BGMAAOSw~RVZ81SG&vxp=mtr

I have it in mind to get another keelboat but it needs to be capable of shallow water ops, something like this would be great. A lot of people are convinced that there is no such thing as a good-sailing shoal-draft boat.

FB- Doug

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

A lot of people are convinced that there is no such thing as a good-sailing shoal-draft boat.

I think it's more that they're convinced that a deep and fixed keel generally works better and they're convinced they won't hit anything. It's easy to lose interest in shoal boats if you think you won't hit anything.

We're both in areas where we're likely to hit stuff.

That boat looks pretty nice and the "donor stated" that it ran last month. I'm surprised the Boat Angels won't even investigate a simple question like "does it start" when the answer can change the price they get by a lot.

Saw a little black mildew growth on the cabin top fuzz. That fuzz must be the perfect growth medium for the stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

Not on Craigslist, Ebay instead..... but a very interesting boat

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1981-Rodgers-33-Sailboat-Maryland/352195177833?hash=item520077ed69:g:BGMAAOSw~RVZ81SG&vxp=mtr

I have it in mind to get another keelboat but it needs to be capable of shallow water ops, something like this would be great. A lot of people are convinced that there is no such thing as a good-sailing shoal-draft boat.

FB- Doug

I know a bit about them. It was a R/C version of the Rodgers 3/4 ton that I sailed for a season. Not particularly fast, nor particularly 'cruisey'. Acceptable at both if you don't set your expectations too high. It would be a fine club racer or weekend/coastal cruiser. Build quality is medium...it's no Hinkley, but it's much better than a BeneHun. It's a bargain at current bid of $2200+ 300 'title fee'. Motor recently rebuilt. Motor alone worth the price.  Probably not hard to find used sails that fit. They were masthead rigged, I'd guess PHRF rating around 144. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jon:

You are correct. That Seaborn model is a very fast light air boat. It was the prototype for the Sierra 26. There was one in Seattle called SkINNY DIPPER that did very well racing for many years here. My secretary years ago bought it. She and her husband were non sailors. HUbby went overboard on their first sail!! She had quite a story for me that following Monday morning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, swangtang said:

Ever since reading about Chris Bray and Jess Taunton's trip through the NW Passage on Teleport I've thought these North Atlantic 29's were a cool design. This one might be a bit overpriced for what it is though. 

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/d/1980-bounty-north-atlantic/6369887388.html 

00g0g_6UlCWNpW1fC_600x450.jpg

That thing should be in the Uglyboat thread. Their abilities are admirable but boy do they bark loudly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Junk rigs have some merit  in sail handling, at least they did. Modern reefing and furling systems have largely eliminated that gap. Gap not eliminated is pretty low performance of junk rigs. They do have a cult following, but the same can be said for origami steel designs and ferro boats. Some people just like oddball stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RKoch said:

Junk rigs have some merit  in sail handling, at least they did. Modern reefing and furling systems have largely eliminated that gap. Gap not eliminated is pretty low performance of junk rigs. They do have a cult following, but the same can be said for origami steel designs and ferro boats. Some people just like oddball stuff.

I do believe that junk rigs have evolved too and modern ones can sail perfectly well. That’s what they say anyway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Mr. Ed said:
3 hours ago, RKoch said:

Junk rigs have some merit  in sail handling, at least they did. Modern reefing and furling systems have largely eliminated that gap. Gap not eliminated is pretty low performance of junk rigs. They do have a cult following, but the same can be said for origami steel designs and ferro boats. Some people just like oddball stuff.

I do believe that junk rigs have evolved too and modern ones can sail perfectly well. That’s what they say anyway. 

Maybe it's that I haven't seen a "modern junk" but I have seen a number of them come out for classic boat races. They can't keep up even with the classic (translation heavy displacement full keel) gaffers. A couple of Tom Colvin's junk-rigged schooners (IMHO the best of the lot) have come out for the Chesapeake Schooner Race and the results are a matter of public record. I don't think any of them have even finished, much less placed near the front.

I would put being able to make distance good under a wide variety of conditions as more important all around than raw speed, but you can comfortably sail a fast boat slow a lot easier than you can sail a slow boat under difficulties. A full-batten marconi with lazyjacks and a rigid vang is a very easy sail to handle.

-DSK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/6/2017 at 7:43 AM, Uncooperative Tom said:

That boat looks pretty nice and the "donor stated" that it ran last month. I'm surprised the Boat Angels won't even investigate a simple question like "does it start" when the answer can change the price they get by a lot.

 

Boat Angel is purely a broker: they never see nor inspect nor arrange delivery of a vessel, and they cannot and will not vouch for any description or listing. "As-Is, Where-Is" is their motto. :) The people answering the phones don't even know the first thing about boats; and the whole purpose of the auction price (which usually begins at zero, with no reserve) is to move the donated goods as quickly as possible.  They really don't even care what a boat ultimately sells for, because they have zero outlay to recoup. Donors are given a very basic questionnaire  about ownership status & condition, & they are asked if the boat has any outstanding debts or liens against it.  

The auction money goes toward paying the head of the charity and his family members a comfortable salary, and toward making animated films set in the Christian neighborhood of Uncanny Valley. Chief got himself into a bit of IRS trouble ... until he succeeded in retroactively becoming a church.

I'm not slagging the business model: we bought our Albin Ballad thru a BA auction on eBay, and we're perfectly happy with the process and the result. Bidders need high risk tolerance and comfort with unknowns; we had that. Once you've won the auction, BA puts you in touch with the donors, and you can ask more pointed questions, like "How much oil is in the bilge, approximately?" That contact allowed us to trade a SS fluke anchor (which the owners  regretted) for all the legal documentation they still held.  It was fine.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, RedRyder said:

In my opinion, this one falls squarely between "mocking" and "not mocking".

The text is definitely in the "mocking" column. It's got one of those "danforf" anchors.

The boat, however... has possibilities.

https://hartford.craigslist.org/boa/d/1935-fellows-and-stewart/6376007568.html

00J0J_2Iwf4r0yeqR_1200x900.jpg

Perfect for a three hour tour.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/25/2017 at 10:01 AM, Steam Flyer said:

Anybody  up for a road trip? I dunno what this boat is but it looks like a real classic

https://onslow.craigslist.org/boa/d/daysailer-vintage-sailboat/6344495058.html

00000_N8B7cqPzfp_600x450.jpg

I bet how it ended up in Iowa is a story, too

FB- Doug

I bought my venture 21 in Charleston SC, it had hull registration numbers from California, the trailer has a Montana tag.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, RedRyder said:

In my opinion, this one falls squarely between "mocking" and "not mocking".

The text is definitely in the "mocking" column. It's got one of those "danforf" anchors.

The boat, however... has possibilities.

https://hartford.craigslist.org/boa/d/1935-fellows-and-stewart/6376007568.html

00J0J_2Iwf4r0yeqR_1200x900.jpg

Of course.  The lure of the cheap wooden boat.  We all know there lies the road to ruination and insanity.  What fools we are.  I am sitting here in Poland shaking, thank god I can't get anywhere near that boat and hear the siren's song. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, soak_ed said:

Of course.  The lure of the cheap wooden boat.  We all know there lies the road to ruination and insanity.  What fools we are.  I am sitting here in Poland shaking, thank god I can't get anywhere near that boat and hear the siren's song. 

It's a weird form of PM. Tad Roberts described this one's arrangement as convoluted.

24131012_1960648300925104_47090237926828

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites