Just now, KC375 said:

It’s a winsome boat. Looks cozy with the heater going. If it were in my area I’d look at it,...but would conclude for that money I could get something more useful.

That's my problem with it too.  If it were a 27, I'm not sure the build would have taken that much longer, but there the designer added a head and a galley, and I'd be all over it.  Is there a name for the thought process that leads to this?  I've noticed several boats that have the same kind of problem.  Absolutely beautiful construction(or refit) sparing no expense or effort, but at a relatively small cost savings over a slightly larger boat, only (I'm guessing) to ultimately realize that they would like a bit more elbow room or have a partner who says they need more space, which is when they end up for sale cheap, where the rewards of putting so much money in would be higher on the slightly larger boat.  

If the goal and the enjoyment was in the building then the owner spent his money well, the same is unlikely to be true of the small boat refits.

14 hours ago, KC375 said:

$30,000 in materials;

6000 hr built time;

Best Small Cruiser - Sail 2011; yields:

Asking $9,500

That pretty much sums up the joy of boat building

I have been coming down with the boatbuilding disease mostly because no one wants to create what I want.

Guess what? If I create it and want to sell it, no one will want it.

The thing that has kept me out of this madness so far hasn't been the likelihood of reducing the value of the raw materials. It's those build hours. They could be spent using existing boats!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

I have been coming down with the boatbuilding disease mostly because no one wants to create what I want.

Guess what? If I create it and want to sell it, no one will want it.

The thing that has kept me out of this madness so far hasn't been the likelihood of reducing the value of the raw materials. It's those build hours. They could be spent using existing boats!

Exactly, I enjoy working on boats, but I enjoy being out on boats more.

Pearson liked that forward wheel in the 70's.

Ericson did it as well.

Good when it's wet & cold.

6 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Ericson did it as well.

Pearson did that? I figured some ambitious owner did it. I have wished for the wheel to be in the protection of the dodger before. I figured someone got tired of wishing and didn't care that it looks funny and blocks the companionway. Never figured that someone was the manufacturer.

Sparkman and Stephens did a few woodies with the helm forward as well

16 minutes ago, Mr. Ed said:

And Amels as well, no?

I can’t be bothered to do pix (am on a device) but this lovely girl, credited to Aage Nielsen is pretty far forward in the helm department 

http://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/1964/Aage-Nielsen-Yawl-1964-2969425/United-States#.Wqp60SKnyEc

To the extent it has a cockpit, the helmsman seems to be right in the middle of it.

5818963_20160525080438779_1_XLARGE.jpg&w

I hadn’t appreciated how stumpy the cockpit is, but it’s still forward of the mainsheet

Helm forward when short handed cruising can be a big advantage. Ericson 46s originally had the wheel bolted to the aft bulkhead of the cabin but most also had a coffee grinder on the cabin roof. Mine had a second companionway from the aft stateroom with a pedestal about two and a half feet aft of that, just enough to comfortably slip out to the cockpit. With primaries flanking the companionway, the helmsman could still tack a #2 easily and control the mainsheet and traveler just forward of the companionway hatch. Meanwhile, all the guests are sitting aft, out of the way and no one has to get up for a tack or gybe. Not best for racing but definitely an advantage for cruising and casual daysailing. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Ericson did it as well.

The Pearson 35 has "Alberg" styling which includes quite a lot of stern overhang. There is scarcely any room under the cockpit sole for the steering gear any further aft.

2018-03-15_1707.png

32 minutes ago, SemiSalt said:

The Pearson 35 has "Alberg" styling which includes quite a lot of stern overhang. There is scarcely any room under the cockpit sole for the steering gear any further aft.

2018-03-15_1707.png

You can get a pretty looking boat when you squeeze a 25 foot interior into a 35 foot boat.

https://providence.craigslist.org/boa/d/tartan-30-custom-sailboat/6481381579.html

I've been eyeing this one for awhile. I hope to see it after I get back home in May. Looks well maintained if old and a bit "cosmetically challenged." Repowered with a diesel, new upholstery, recently cruised with all the trimmings. No idea what the guy did with the lifelines but apparently he likes to live on the edge?

Tartan 30's are plain but I really like them. They seem like solid old boats with a good design. Here's hoping it's still there when I get to see it.

7 hours ago, steele said:

I have no idea if the price is fair, but lots of info on this boat in old posts.

00v0v_lzD9kkUWS34_600x450.jpg

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/d/25-left-coast-dart/6529624372.html

The hull number before this one sold for $10,000 more than the asking price for this one.  We assume that someone might want to transport it to the mainland (it would be great in S.D. or the PNW) and took the discount off the top.  PM me if anyone wants more information.  Yes, we did buy an ad: that's where this pic came from.

3 hours ago, Commercial Boater said:

https://providence.craigslist.org/boa/d/tartan-30-custom-sailboat/6481381579.html

I've been eyeing this one for awhile. I hope to see it after I get back home in May. Looks well maintained if old and a bit "cosmetically challenged." Repowered with a diesel, new upholstery, recently cruised with all the trimmings. No idea what the guy did with the lifelines but apparently he likes to live on the edge?

Tartan 30's are plain but I really like them. They seem like solid old boats with a good design. Here's hoping it's still there when I get to see it.

Didn't someone post a Craig's list of a young family looking for a $5000 boat? This would be close

26 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

What a horrible thing to do to a Rozinante.

The mini condo or the Coleman 9.9? Either way I agree.

Meanwhile in the cheap, old Morgan market, there's this entry:

https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/boa/d/morgan-27-feet-1971-on-sale/6537377032.html

Not mocking because it appears to be an honest presentation and a decent deal if you're into that sort of thing, but this part:

a lot of compartments and junk.
ropes and tackle a lot
bimini top
a decent genoa candle
two batteries of deep shekel
two anchors with their chains and more than 50 feet of lines

OK, the bimini top isn't confusing and I can see why such a boat might want to be prepared to anchor in up to 7 feet of water, but the rest is just odd.

Genoa candle?

Deep shekel?

I'm guessing a German maybe? What was he trying to say?

1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

01313_6QWoZP45X1z_1200x900.jpg

You are right. 

However, for the price, you have a basic Rozinante project to bring back from the depths of hell with a sawzall and the original set of plans.

It would be in my shop at that price. There are none on the East Coast in any similar condition or price point:( 

1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

01313_6QWoZP45X1z_1200x900.jpg

At lt looks much less awkward from the front.

First I'd chainsaw the pustule off the top, then go back to the original drawings. The problem with a boat like that is that they have probably also fucked up everything else in their path.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ishmael said:

First I'd chainsaw the pustule off the top, then go back to the original drawings. The problem with a boat like that is that they have probably also fucked up everything else in their path.

Does the jib set Rimas-style, hanging ten feet over the deck and sheeted to the upwind side, give you that impression?

No engine. Is this the usual answer for those?

6551912_20171206125343050_1_XLARGE.jpg&w

6 hours ago, Zonker said:

https://victoria.craigslist.ca/boa/d/santa-cruz-27-sailboat/6536413716.html

$2500 CAN for a Santa Cruz 27 with a rockin paint job and a trailer? That's a steal unless it has real issues. Or he dropped a zero...

01414_kLVXu9DJp80_600x450.jpg

You're buying the trailer and the paint job. You can get SC-27s for free many places, there are two at my sailing club.

FB- Doug

Free diesel engine...http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/Volkswagen-Pathfinder-Diesel-Engine_31437720

There's a catch...

70711947_934.jpg

My sailboat in on the hard up by the ferry dock. I have a working, pickled engine for you for free but you have to disassemble and remove it.

The engine dates from the 1980s with a full rebuild (by the previous owner) in 1999. It started up and ran lack a champ in December 2017. I plan on going electric and I need this engine to of the way.

In exchange for your labor you get the engine, the control linkage, the heat exchanger and anything else directly attached. I keep the fuel tank and the prop/shaft.

You must promise not to hurt yourself or my barky during the process.

Questions are welcome. Now, the last two folks interested in the project backed out. Realize that you will have to lift 200kg (or so) out of the boat and lower it down 3 meters from the deck. Please give me a shout if you have experience at removing an engine. I got a number of inquiries from folks thinking they could just drive by and pick up the engine. No, this is not the case.

$2500 CAN for a Santa Cruz 27 with a rockin paint job and a trailer? That's a steal unless it has real issues. Or he dropped a zero...

If that paint job doesn't win races, nothing will.

Free diesel engine...http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/Volkswagen-Pathfinder-Diesel-Engine_31437720

There's a catch...

Questions are welcome. Now, the last two folks interested in the project backed out. Realize that you will have to lift 200kg (or so) out of the boat and lower it down 3 meters from the deck. Please give me a shout if you have experience at removing an engine. I got a number of inquiries from folks thinking they could just drive by and pick up the engine. No, this is not the case.

He's looking for a redneck with some equipment and may find one in a reasonable period of time. But probably not.

The path forward would be to pay to have that engine removed and then hope you can sell it for enough to cover that expense. It would sell sitting on a pallet.

He's looking for a redneck with some equipment and may find one in a reasonable period of time. But probably not.

The path forward would be to pay to have that engine removed and then hope you can sell it for enough to cover that expense. It would sell sitting on a pallet.

That's a C&C 33 it's in. It's a super tight installation, he'd have to deflate the engine to get it out.

So I bought her. No real issues, other than a easily repairable crack from sitting on the trailer for so long, and it all needs re-assembling or bits replacing - she's not been in the water for a long, long time. Needs a couple of new tyres for the trailer, and probably the bearings done before I can haul her out of their garden :)

Even dug out a reaching strut for it. There's also a ton of very vintage sails, I'm hoping the blooper is usable for a bit of a laugh too.

Hopefully we'll be racing on her before the end of the summer.

• Like 8

So I bought her. No real issues, other than a easily repairable crack from sitting on the trailer for so long, and it all needs re-assembling or bits replacing - she's not been in the water for a long, long time. Needs a couple of new tyres for the trailer, and probably the bearings done before I can haul her out of their garden :)

Even dug out a reaching strut for it. There's also a ton of very vintage sails, I'm hoping the blooper is usable for a bit of a laugh too.

Well done. You’re going to have a blast. 

Cool. What are you going to do with the C&C?

Looks like a lot of cheap fun.

Ishmael - I'm keeping my C&C, the SC will be the replacement for our increasingly shit J24, strictly for racing shenanigans.

Not craigslist, but...

Also a nice paint job. Plus, if it was really stored in a hanger, then there is a chance it's actually in good shape structurally...

http://sailingtexas.com/201801/sregan23101.html

Regan 23, 1984 sailboat

it has been on CL for some time...

https://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/boa/d/1984-regan-23-race-cruise/6537235554.html

Then again boats tend to stay on DFW CL for a long time anyway.

On 3/23/2018 at 4:06 PM, PaulinVictoria said:

So I bought her.

Who said these threads serve no purpose!

PV, make sure to replace the lifting eye if you plan to launch on a hoist

the threads get old and can strip

PL.

3 hours ago, RedRyder said:

The price may be mockable, but the vessel is not in my opinion:

00k0k_87wO72iLNXF_1200x900.jpg

https://newlondon.craigslist.org/bod/d/ft-herreshoff-custom-torpedo/6545159670.html

For the right price, I could see this in Nick's fleet...

I have no idea what one pays for such a thing. But this is one of the coolest bow shots I've seen.

00H0H_8irIEoa14xt_1200x900.jpg

6'9" beam on a 45 footer? OK.

It's probably pretty useful but isn't this some kind of dodger? I'm afraid it qualifies for that other thread...

00w0w_ieypFOyVOCO_1200x900.jpg

Which thread might that be?

6A09C424-123A-498F-B5AA-5F49D703CACC.jpeg

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

Which thread might that be?

6A09C424-123A-498F-B5AA-5F49D703CACC.jpeg

That boat looks like it just squeezed out a turd. What a wretched colour.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Uncooperative Tom said:
4 hours ago, RedRyder said:

For the right price, I could see this in Nick's fleet...

I have no idea what one pays for such a thing. But this is one of the coolest bow shots I've seen.

00H0H_8irIEoa14xt_1200x900.jpg

6'9" beam on a 45 footer? OK.

Umm, Tom that's not the bow.

• Downvote 1

44 minutes ago, Hawaiidart said:

It certainly the bow; that's why there's a flag... oh wait...

What's that flappy thing at the bottom of the pic?

• Like 1

noticed this concordia yawl the other day. for those not into wood boats these concordia yawls are fairly iconic. $25k for one is a damn good deal and this particular one looks to be in good shape as well. 

https://maine.craigslist.org/boa/d/concordia-yawl-39-wood-1950/6544122151.html

01313_h1Sw795NDFj_600x450.jpg

8 hours ago, S/V Eva said:

Umm, Tom that's not the bow.

Hah! It's the pointy end! Sorry, I'm only used to one of those.

Still cool and I suppose an actual bow shot would look about the same. Pointier than my pointiest kayak. That's a cool look.

8 hours ago, frozenhawaiian said:

noticed this concordia yawl the other day. for those not into wood boats these concordia yawls are fairly iconic. $25k for one is a damn good deal and this particular one looks to be in good shape as well. 

https://maine.craigslist.org/boa/d/concordia-yawl-39-wood-1950/6544122151.html

01313_h1Sw795NDFj_600x450.jpg

$25k for a Concordia is emphatically not a good deal.  It is a wooden disaster waiting to swallow your wallet..

No it isn’t. My ‘46 cutter rig has taken that prize.

That Concordia has very good Maine bones and will likely be around when my bones get laid down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, monsoon said:

$25k for a Concordia is emphatically not a good deal.  It is a wooden disaster waiting to swallow your wallet..

It's the price of entry into the wooden boat ownership game.  Probably a good deal just for the spars, ballast and bronze fittings to be used on a new build 39.  (and mine would be cold molded as well.  Well, it would be, IF I were to ever succumb to such an outrageous idea)

5 minutes ago, Veeger said:

It's the price of entry into the wooden boat ownership game.  Probably a good deal just for the spars, ballast and bronze fittings to be used on a new build 39.  (and mine would be cold molded as well.  Well, it would be, IF I were to ever succumb to such an outrageous idea)

In my totally uneducated opinion, $25k for a Concordia yawl is probably going to be super expensive, but $200k might be a good deal.

• Like 1

and here again, keywords being: if you're into wood boats. 

7 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

No it isn’t. My ‘46 cutter rig has taken that prize.

That Concordia has very good Maine bones and will likely be around when my bones get laid down.

Maine???  They were built in Germany.

I've spent a bit of time talking with the Concordia folks in Padanarum.  They'd tell you that $100k is sort of the minimum for a Concordia yawl with good bones.  And then plan on spending $25-30 k per year to keep her that way.

17 hours ago, Hawaiidart said:

It certainly the bow; that's why there's a flag... oh wait...

That's the bow propeller.

• Downvote 1

I've spent a bit of time talking with the Concordia folks in Padanarum.  They'd tell you that $100k is sort of the minimum for a Concordia yawl with good bones.  And then plan on spending $25-30 k per year to keep her that way.

Yup, there was/is a nicely re-done Concordia out here in Pt Townsend.  Asking right around $200k and worth every penny.   When I was considering such things a few years ago, their records for hours and dollars spent each year to remove and store masts and revarnish, etc, etc, each year ran pretty much what you're saying---$25-30k/yr.  Before any other things like extra gadgets, sails, moorage, etc, etc.  My annual boat budget didn't cover that and my own wood maintenance skills are such that I didn't want to spend a couple hundred of my own hours doing the rest of it each year.  I like sailing, not boat maintenance...

You’re right. I forget I restore and maintain my boats at a better rate. 

2 hours ago, monsoon said:

Meant time in the water in Maine:rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

You’re right. I forget I restore and maintain my boats at a better rate. 

Meant time in the water in Maine:rolleyes:

No worries.  They do build good boats in Maine (like mine). I'm sure you can keep a Concordia for less than $25-30K a year if you do the great majority of the work yourself.  I'd bet Kris Kringle's boat (now I can't remember the designer, Tripp?) is on par with upkeep with the Concordias, but I suspect he keeps cost contained by being very handy. 

No worries.  They do build good boats in Maine (like mine). I'm sure you can keep a Concordia for less than $25-30K a year if you do the great majority of the work yourself.  I'd bet Kris Kringle's boat (now I can't remember the designer, Tripp?) is on par with upkeep with the Concordias, but I suspect he keeps cost contained by being very handy. 

Kris Kringle has an Alden Challenger, designed by John Alden.  Fiberglass hull with wood decks and cabin trunk.

9 hours ago, slap said:

Kris Kringle has an Alden Challenger, designed by John Alden.  Fiberglass hull with wood decks and cabin trunk.

Yes, Alden, Christmas, thanks.  So only 84.3% the upkeep

• Like 1

12 hours ago, monsoon said:

$25-$30K a year is awfully high, unless you're hiring someone to do every last bit of the work for you. my experience owning a wood boat has been that the upkeep really isn't a whole lot more expensive that an equivalent sized glass boat. it's when you let them go and need to refit a wood boat, then the costs skyrocket. 

• Like 1

with a concordia the key spec is does it have the bespoke concordia boarding ladder ..... if not a replacement will cost you $5k  to replace ......

• Downvote 1

Concordias are a cult object more than a boat.

I think I may have done a day delivery on that Pearson years ago, there can't be many in this area. I've sailed several boats with wheel at forward end of cockpit...I love it. 

23 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Concordias are a cult object more than a boat.

you're not wrong. serious cult following. in all fairness though they do sail really nicely. 

It does have that homebuilt attitude to the ports, but apart from that it looks very well done. 

00808_aeRsi6E846R_1200x900.jpg

That looks like a steal.

That's Gary Storch's old boat. Lot of his mods to it - sugar scoop, bulb keel etc. I've talked to the owner but it's kept in Pirates Cove so not exactly easy for me to check out.

I'm still trying for the Nelson/Marek but the owner isn't exactly rushing to get the engine running properly. I'm in no rush either so we'll see.

21 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

That's Gary Storch's old boat. Lot of his mods to it - sugar scoop, bulb keel etc. I've talked to the owner but it's kept in Pirates Cove so not exactly easy for me to check out.

I'm still trying for the Nelson/Marek but the owner isn't exactly rushing to get the engine running properly. I'm in no rush either so we'll see.

Strange place to keep it if you're trying to sell it.

He lives on De Courcy.

$37,900 obo for one on the East Coast in CT ready to go

17 hours ago, Ishmael said:

How's your boat search going, Jon? Interested in this one? http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/Kirby-30_31596806

Looks like a good deal at $6,000 asking.

71850065_934.jpg

At first glance, this looked pretty good.

After scrolling through the pictures in the advertisement, this belongs in the 'Mocking Ads on Craigslist'

Whatever racy-ness this had, has been done in by that 'inboard-outboard' and the tiller setup.   I hate to see what else has had an 'improvement' applied to the boat.

- Stumbling

Gary, the original sailmaker/owner was notorious for his quick & dirty gitterdun mods to his boats.

He ruined a pretty awesome boat.