On 6/7/2018 at 2:37 PM, Foiling Optimist said:

Ah. Another way to say this is that the fucked-up-ness is Scale Free. It's fucked at all characteristic scales such as length, eg. from the whole boat at 10,000mm to the chain plate bolt holes at 10mm. In fact if you plot Log(length) vs Log(how is it fucked?). This should be a straight line. 

It's in Ganges yes? I'll be on Saltspring for some family thing in July and will go visit. That dock is indeed a dense repository of broken dreams. 

@Sloop John B

I guess I must be a glutton for punishment I called him back after he called me three times, each time from a different random number, where I would call back and get a neighbor etc.

He was very clear to tell me right off the bat that he wasn't in a hurry to sell and the boat was a great value, because the owner before him paid 42k 10 years ago and it used to be owned by doctors in Vancouver...  Also that in his highly educated opinion the teak was fine and just needed to be re-caulked in place because at the bow the teak was thick enough to pull fasteners and re-countersink.  When I suggested that the high traffic areas were in a different state with the teak worn down below deck drains, rot spreading around stanchions etc he announced that he had called me 8 minutes before he had to go to a dinner and now had to go.  After 5 requests(2 in the call and 3 emails) I still don't have an answer as to whether or not the boat has any sails. any additional rigging or parts available...  He suggested I put my questions in an email(that will be the third time I've done so) and he'll call me back again after that.  :lol::rolleyes:

• Like 2

Sounds like it's reached the end of the line.

Damned shame - it was one of the most beautiful boats I've ever seen BITD.

Sounds like someone is getting the runaround from a real player. I hope the guy has to pay more storage.

He's on a gulf island right? Obviously running on 'island time'. Try finding labour on places like Saltspring, Pender, Tofino, etc.  You can offer some unwashed skid $35/hr cash and he'll show up on site at 10:30 with maple syrup on his breath, want to be paid that day and you'll never see him again.  I'm not speaking about everyone in those places but it's often cheaper to bring in crews from the mainland and put them up, feed them, per diems and all that if a big part of your reputation is making deadlines.  I could be wrong about this guy but have been following this one from the beginning and he seems the type. 

On 6/16/2018 at 5:26 AM, paps49 said:

always loved those arpeges. friend of mine has one the exact same color.

On 5/28/2018 at 8:11 AM, SloopJonB said:

Locals will know this boat - Distant Drummer. Looks like a deal for the right person. The boat is looking surprisingly sad - I saw it in my boatyard about 5 years ago and it looked brand new so I doubt it has been touched since.

This is what she looked like then. The subsequent owners should be ashamed of themselves.

image.png.6a3c6834680c0c5a3ce0feec8639e686.png

image.png.eae4a3b15a3cb4eb6b08718f87b95afc.png

image.png.12666b6b58ce299d4bfedbb172595415.png

https://victoria.craigslist.ca/boa/d/36-foot-cold-molded-peterson/6599616875.html

Wholly Phuquolly - that's Drummer now??? I do hope they save it; somehow. I raced against the boat for many, many years as I was on several Peterson/Martin 35's. We were just chatting about my experiences for the 1978 3/4 ton worlds on Wastebook and Drummer's name popped up but it was a one tonner. actually - it was more than that for it's IOR number. 

7 hours ago, Maxx Baqustae said:

Wholly Phuquolly - that's Drummer now??? I do hope they save it; somehow. I raced against the boat for many, many years as I was on several Peterson/Martin 35's. We were just chatting about my experiences for the 1978 3/4 ton worlds on Wastebook and Drummer's name popped up but it was a one tonner. actually - it was more than that for it's IOR number. 

You must have hit a nerve, it's been deleted :)

9 hours ago, Trovão said:

always loved those arpeges. friend of mine has one the exact same color.

Down to $1500, it would be a bloody shame to see her go in a dumpster.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, paps49 said:

You must have hit a nerve, it's been deleted :)

Yup. Gone on my FB page too and craigslist. A little sad really. Greg passed away, maybe 20 years ago? And I guess Judy had to move on. Just sad to see it in that condition. Maybe someone bought it too. Somebody might have realized what it is. It was like a grand piano when new and kept up.

• Like 2

On 6/13/2018 at 7:42 AM, MauiPunter said:

That gives me wood.

Yup. Raced on that one too. But it was just "Wisp" when we had it for a couple of years. We used to call it the Cedar Speeder or the Surrey Slider. Dubbed: "Pretty boat; ugly crew". We had a few epic Whitby Race Weeks with Wisp. Ya, they rebuilt it with an obscene amount of money. Carbon rig etc, etc, but still an old two tonner; a hard sell at those numbers. I hope it doesn't get date raped like some that don't know what they have. Build a pilothouse on it or something. Stranger things have happened! Not pretty sometimes.

It was at the Bayshore marina and coming back from Wed. Nite racing a full on party was on. I left for the North Shore before I got stupid. But on the next day a wandered down the dock to see if any carnage had ensued. I could hear music 20 slips away thinking some of the crew or owner was onboard. Nope, hatches locked up. Apparently the rewind auto tape was running when they left so The Grateful Dead was running over & over & over again. Ther was a liveaboard boat 3 slips away. The poor bastard was washing his boat with full volume. Shaking his head and muttering about those "racers'! Too funny really.   

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Crash said:

Speaking of Wisp's, it look like this one is still in nice shape overall....

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/bod/d/41-jespersen-peterson-andrews/6615052173.html

I haven't seen any pics of the interior but I assume it's very similar to what is pictured here. The inside of the boat was "bright" cold moulded so they were trying to resurrect it from the original owners family. They spent stupid/obscene money on it including a carbon rig, t-keel, etc, etc, etc. But I got the impression that they stopped burning money at it. I believe they originally had up for 179 or 175K or something like that. Now at 98K Canadian (approx. 74K U.S. from Friday's currency close). Eh.....still a 1980 2 tonner with a limited market for boats like that. Was involved the selling of the boat 15 years ago(?) and can't quite remember the numbers but not 98K. Likely more half that. Pretty sweet boat though. Sort of remaking your '57 Chevy. 

I know the boat well from older days but the boat itself is strong houses; maybe even overbuilt for a full on race boat on the day. 

7 hours ago, Maxx Baqustae said:

I haven't seen any pics of the interior but I assume it's very similar to what is pictured here. The inside of the boat was "bright" cold moulded so they were trying to resurrect it from the original owners family. They spent stupid/obscene money on it including a carbon rig, t-keel, etc, etc, etc. But I got the impression that they stopped burning money at it. I believe they originally had up for 179 or 175K or something like that. Now at 98K Canadian (approx. 74K U.S. from Friday's currency close). Eh.....still a 1980 2 tonner with a limited market for boats like that. Was involved the selling of the boat 15 years ago(?) and can't quite remember the numbers but not 98K. Likely more half that. Pretty sweet boat though. Sort of remaking your '57 Chevy. 

I know the boat well from older days but the boat itself is strong houses; maybe even overbuilt for a full on race boat on the day. 

Seems like a fun boat.  Wish I had the dosh to buy/maintain it and use it in my local weekly races.  So beautiful.

I wonder how often sheets get fouled on the handle of the Navtec hydraulic pump located under the traveller...

On 6/24/2018 at 5:15 AM, Jim in Halifax said:

I wonder how often sheets get fouled on the handle of the Navtec hydraulic pump located under the traveller...

Never remember it to be a big issue. The handle is completely removable and quickly. I can't remember if it was stored in a tail bag or under the traveller somehow.   

On 6/24/2018 at 9:55 AM, SemiSalt said:

Interesting boat - the current owners haul her in the same yard that I do each winter, and I've seen her up close.

The fog horns on the mizzen are pointed nearly exactly at the skipper's brain. But I dig the fully-battened mizzen - not the poor in-mast-furling roachless main.

Very solid-looking boat.

That’s a great boat at a good price point

IIRC Bob said that was the boat that most exceeded his performance expectations.

If that one has no fundamental problems it's a steal - they seem to always bring top dollar.

Very cool interior for a couple as well - I like those pullman berth layouts. Not much use for more than two though.

On 3/1/2018 at 12:26 AM, paps49 said:

Seems to have been sold, all sales links have disappeared.

Some lucky bugger got a hell of a boat for $20k! This one really grabbed me so I did some digging. Designed by an engineer with 25 years sailing experience for family cruising and built by Luders in '56. Very early cold molded Mahogany with SS ring frames. Possibly the first tandem keel built.  Some links below to the Sports Illustrated article.

https://www.si.com/vault/1957/01/21/599191/sailors-dream

https://www.si.com/vault/issue/42493/33/1

caprice-pdf.pdf

luders 39.jpg

Guess who's back....

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/boa/d/turnkey-mates-just-load-your/6632166676.html

Wonder if it's got some hull issues?  Sure seems to change hands/go up for sale often.  Ad reads like a different writer but could be wrong.

This page somehow forced its way into my browser last night.

https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/boa/d/classic-1956-feather-craft/6634525014.html

00V0V_413UcrtuVou_600x450.jpg

So tempting. So cute. So useless. And two years older and waaay nicer than mine. And with the period-correct Johnson, which belongs in a museum where it can't strand anyone. I was so happy when our 1961 10 hp threw a spark plug into the canal in 1978. I never saw it again, which is probably just as well considering our relationship.

On 7/5/2018 at 3:25 AM, Uncooperative Tom said:

. I was so happy when our 1961 10 hp threw a spark plug into the canal in 1978. I never saw it again, which is probably just as well considering our relationship.

Ha!  Well done...  That is a great way to describe some outboards.   Bravo.

So we had a little trip to Saltspring and and in case anyone was wondering, Distant Drummer is still at the government dock in Fulford and is indeed a remarkably sad sight. I think the picture of the foredeck here is particularly poignant with the fancy adjustable stays and moss on the teak.  It has some sort of rod type fore stay and furling set up which looks like it was a big deal at the time. There is a lot of sadness in that harbour in general though; the power boat below is what you see when you first start along the boardwalk. 

IMG_1200.JPG

IMG_1201.JPG

IMG_1203.JPG

IMG_1205.JPG

IMG_1206.JPG

1 hour ago, Foiling Optimist said:

So we had a little trip to Saltspring and and in case anyone was wondering, Distant Drummer is still at the government dock in Fulford and is indeed a remarkably sad sight. I think the picture of the foredeck here is particularly poignant with the fancy adjustable stays and moss on the teak.  It has some sort of rod type fore stay and furling set up which looks like it was a big deal at the time. There is a lot of sadness in that harbour in general though; the power boat below is what you see when you first start along the boardwalk. 

IMG_1200.JPG

IMG_1201.JPG

IMG_1203.JPG

IMG_1205.JPG

IMG_1206.JPG

Did you also get told how eager the owner is to hang on to it until someone who can truly appreciate the masterful way he has maintained it comes along to pay the full asking price?:rolleyes:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Foiling Optimist said:

IMG_1205.JPG

What are those?

On 7/5/2018 at 12:52 PM, jgbrown said:

Guess who's back....

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/boa/d/turnkey-mates-just-load-your/6632166676.html

Wonder if it's got some hull issues?  Sure seems to change hands/go up for sale often.  Ad reads like a different writer but could be wrong.

Wow, I only cleared out the old links about this a month ago.

Sounds like same Canadian owners with a polish up by the broker maybe. Lots more interior pics and no underwater stuff. Bloody interesting boat.

12 minutes ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

What are those?

Running forestays, obviously "  ;-)

41 minutes ago, paps49 said:

Running forestays, obviously "  ;-)

That was going to be my guess but...

This Tartan 3000 is also listed on CL, but this listing is more informative.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1984/Tartan-3000-3161320/#.W0YDbdIzqUk

This would be a good boat for me, much better than the boat I own. I have a channel that's 4' at low tide to deal with. Some boats that are cb versions of keel boats, e.g. the O'Day 30, have a reputation as being tender, but I have no info in that regard about this Tartan.  (OTOH, tender is not the issue in WLIS that it is many other places.) Not too expensive, but I'd probably put $15K into it in the first couple years (sails, winches, etc) and the engine is a wild card. Have not seen the boat in the flesh.

2018-07-11_0921.png

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

That was going to be my guess but...

But you could think of no way they would be useful?

Me too.

On 7/11/2018 at 6:27 AM, SemiSalt said:

This Tartan 3000 is also listed on CL, but this listing is more informative.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1984/Tartan-3000-3161320/#.W0YDbdIzqUk

This would be a good boat for me, much better than the boat I own. I have a channel that's 4' at low tide to deal with. Some boats that are cb versions of keel boats, e.g. the O'Day 30, have a reputation as being tender, but I have no info in that regard about this Tartan.  (OTOH, tender is not the issue in WLIS that it is many other places.) Not too expensive, but I'd probably put $15K into it in the first couple years (sails, winches, etc) and the engine is a wild card. Have not seen the boat in the flesh.

Hard to go wrong with an S and S Tartan, traveler on the bridgedeck is good for short handing, the wheel is a plus minus issue on a 30 footer.  The status of the centerboard and motor is important, and it looks a little under-powered. Those old universals can go forever if not abused.

2 hours ago, Alan Crawford said:

Calling Kim Bottles.

5 hours ago, Bull City said:

Calling Kim Bottles.

Holy cow - owned for 12 years by Buckminster Fuller!

What a stunner. I’d love for my dock neighbor to own it. 

3 hours ago, socalrider said:

Holy cow - owned for 12 years by Buckminster Fuller!

What a stunner. I’d love for my dock neighbor to own it. 

Holy Molly: the geodesic dome founder had this angular beauty?  He liked shapes!

6 hours ago, Hawaiidart said:

Holy Molly: the geodesic dome founder had this angular beauty?  He liked shapes!

Yes all sorts of shapes

420px-Dynamixion_car_by_Buckminster_Full

If I didn't have to buy a new car, I'd be very tempted by this Vindo 40 in Wiarton, Ontario. Not common in North America but my bit of research shows that they are very well-built vessels with good sailing characteristics. If you don't mind a bit of varnishing now and then. And it is 31', not 40. That refers the sail area somehow. Swedish thing, I guess. Price is in Canuckistanian currency:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/city-of-toronto/sailboat-vindo-40/1334392389

21 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Full keel and a motorsailer sized rig.

Not what I'd want for lake sailing.

Pretty though.

http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=3055

Point taken, though the 4'-ish draft seems to be OK among Georgian Bay sailors. Sailed a Mirage 27 with a 4.33" draft up through those islands once, I was on the bow with a lead line and we only bumped once...

Really, I'm just a sucker for the woodwork.

On 7/15/2018 at 8:12 AM, KC375 said:

Yes all sorts of shapes

420px-Dynamixion_car_by_Buckminster_Full

Starling Burgess worked with Bucky Fuller on that car. 

Not the zenith of either career.

Well the car was ahead of its time, and certainly showed the versatility of both men.  Starling Burgess did all kinds of cool shit. 

And we're STILL waiting for the flying car.  It's too bad Fuller and Burgess never got around to adding wings to that thing, as they originally had in mind.  Now that would have been something!

I don't know about the design, but it was produced for the 1933/34 Chicago World's Fair.  They thought it was the ground/taxi/car portion of what would become a flying car.  But it never took off (sorry).  Apparently it was very hard to steer- by the third wheel in the rear- and only specially trained employees were allowed to test drive it.

That rear steer was proof that Bucky (and Starling) didn't have a clue about the dynamics of cars.

40 minutes ago, Hawaiidart said:

I don't know about the design, but it was produced for the 1933/34 Chicago World's Fair.  They thought it was the ground/taxi/car portion of what would become a flying car.  But it never took off (sorry).  Apparently it was very hard to steer- by the third wheel in the rear- and only specially trained employees were allowed to test drive it.

Like traditional gear (tail dragger) aircraft the Dymaxion had a tendency to “ground loop” only the Dymaxion didn’t have any aerodynamic control surfaces like a rudder to aid in control...start the video at 1:10 to see the joy of traditional gear aircraft...when do you stop flying a tail dragger? When it’s in the hangar.

49 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

From what can be seen from the ad it looks like someone is going to get a hell of a deal on that.

Hell of a deal ... if IOR winch-farms are your idea of fun

Please note the AS IS WHERE IS condition of the sale. There may be something horribly wrong there, - corrosion? 

21 hours ago, Mr. Ed said:

Please note the AS IS WHERE IS condition of the sale. There may be something horribly wrong there, - corrosion? 

Maybe the sacks of 150%-plus genoas have started breeding with each other

We should all call “John” and start a bidding war!

58F6F291-3F34-431D-958E-F2B0F49C9726.jpeg

https://nh.craigslist.org/boa/d/45ft-trimaran/6628033907.html

Via the multihull appreciation society group on Facebook. Free boat but they estimate it will take $25K to get it where you can work on it. Another long time builder who passed away before it could be finished. Curious of people think would be worth the effort. (Not that I'm looking!)

If anyone doesn't understand the term "wetted surface"........

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

If anyone doesn't understand the term "wetted surface"........

That looks like it hasn't been wetted for a long time. The Yanmar looks good, probably isn't.

On 8/18/2018 at 12:54 PM, SloopJonB said:

This looks like it might be a good deal for someone wanting a big, good looking old cruiser.

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rch/boa/d/estate-sale-48-hughes/6658583896.html

Allegedly a Sparkman & Stephens design, but with the Hughes brothers you never really knew! They certainly used a lot of solid glass, but the alloy fittings were always somewhat suspect.

14 hours ago, Schnappi said:

$10 Contessa 26

Pretty rough, but at least everything is stripped off for you. 

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Lots of those Contessa's around in Canada. Built in Toronto by J.J. Taylor & Sons. Solidly constructed. Basically a glass Folkboat.

10 hours ago, Ishmael said:

The Yanmar looks good, probably isn't.

Based on the OB bracket on the transom, I think you're right. 

2 minutes ago, Starkindler said:

Lots of those Contessa's around in Canada. Built in Toronto by J.J. Taylor & Sons. Solidly constructed. Basically a glass Folkboat.

Not far from home. Another temptress. I wonder what it would take to do a nice restoration, including a new inboard? $75K?

52 minutes ago, Starkindler said:

Allegedly a Sparkman & Stephens design, but with the Hughes brothers you never really knew! They certainly used a lot of solid glass, but the alloy fittings were always somewhat suspect.

They were S&S designs. Rod Stephens used to visit them periodically to ensure their work was up to snuff.

There's a history of Hughes on the Interweb somewhere that details it.

Also references to Hughes on the S&S website.

Ok, this wasnt on Craigslist, but on Facebook's "Sailing vessels for sale by owner".

Melonseed sailboat
$7,500

2014 Brush Creek Melonseed sailboat. Hull #9 with tan bark sail.
Rowing version with oars. Load right trailer with folding tongue. *
Excellent condition

39914631_288733331929162_923253557291909120_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=5507bc1f2c8451d16e44fb21ec1d07ae&oe=5BFC03E4

39936578_288733418595820_5704149471726665728_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=76ad5339d943fdede49b8e7d9330a5b3&oe=5BF697D4

39813763_288733731929122_9761747699236864_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=67d4c2f996664b17a25c722cc9913a5c&oe=5C097424

39869013_288733515262477_261228809255963

On 8/22/2018 at 5:32 PM, MauiPunter said:

Ok, this wasnt on Craigslist, but on Facebook's "Sailing vessels for sale by owner".

Melonseed sailboat
$7,500

2014 Brush Creek Melonseed sailboat. Hull #9 with tan bark sail.
Rowing version with oars. Load right trailer with folding tongue. *
Excellent condition

39914631_288733331929162_923253557291909120_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=5507bc1f2c8451d16e44fb21ec1d07ae&oe=5BFC03E4

39936578_288733418595820_5704149471726665728_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=76ad5339d943fdede49b8e7d9330a5b3&oe=5BF697D4

39813763_288733731929122_9761747699236864_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=67d4c2f996664b17a25c722cc9913a5c&oe=5C097424

39869013_288733515262477_261228809255963

Paging Mr. Beer. Mr. Beer, please come to the white phone.

My wife actually told me I can’t buy another boat until she buys some sails for the wooden Sloop going in this week. As much as I want a Melonseed ...my old mentor John Brady built a few around these parts and I want one of his builds-maybe one of his Delaware River Tuckups so I can really get soaked 

11 minutes ago, Marcjsmith said:

978FC518-D468-4692-A031-6957AD84389A.jpeg

Cool...... a Surprise! However candy is a nicer surprise. I was in a sailing club that had done of these, utter and total piece of crap. Heavy yet fragile, tippy yet underpowered.... almost as piss-poor a boat as a Sidewinder or Pintail.

Coincidently I saw one of these out sailing today.... guy had a girl with him, so maybe the ad is correct.

FB- Doug

11 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Cool...... a Surprise! However candy is a nicer surprise. I was in a sailing club that had done of these, utter and total piece of crap. Heavy yet fragile, tippy yet underpowered.... almost as piss-poor a boat as a Sidewinder or Pintail.

Coincidently I saw one of these out sailing today.... guy had a girl with him, so maybe the ad is correct.

FB- Doug

If you don't have the right boat for the mission, choose a mission that's right for the boat!

• Like 1

Somebody must have gotten laid on a Snark, so your logic works for me!

9CCF94EB-9B7F-408E-A479-BF237A13268E.jpeg

On 8/26/2018 at 5:59 PM, Sail4beer said:

Somebody must have gotten laid on a Snark, so your logic works for me!

9CCF94EB-9B7F-408E-A479-BF237A13268E.jpeg

That looks like a new world Albert Einstein, without Marilyn Monroe. 

https://goo.gl/images/9UBaMs

5 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Is that the exasperation of temptation? 

Temptation.

Bull,

We had a 2004 Crawford Melonseed.  Great little boat.  Painted a pretty picture underway.  Faster than expected on a reach.  Tows very easily.  Rigs quickly.  Be a great boat to bring north with you when you and Mrs. Bull escape the North Carolina heat...

Not that I'm trying to tempt you...:rolleyes:

Crash