41 minutes ago, MauiPunter said:

I sometimes wish we had more options than UP and DOWN, kinda like the facebook emojis.  I vote we add the middle finger as an option.  PA would probably find it useful.  :D  

It would be totally unreadable, a field of digits.

8 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

I sometimes wish we had more options than UP and DOWN, kinda like the facebook emojis.  I vote we add the middle finger as an option.  PA would probably find it useful.  :D  

Yes.  It would be most helpful to have an STFU option.  

That thing has been for sale for as long as I can remember - started at $195,000 IIRC.

Beautiful boat.  I wonder why it hasn't sold.

Maybe the huge head sail/coffee grinder setup made them nervous? Beautiful boat though, doesn't say what it's made of.....

4 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

My guess would be because it's sacred to the owner, who doesn't really wish to sell it.

If he really wanted to sell it, he'd do things like, you know, put a phone number in the ad since some customers don't like email. Or maybe even hire a pro to sell it, since professionals know that putting a phone number in an ad is a pretty good idea. Not to mention advertising something like this on yachtworld.

1 hour ago, dogballs Tom said:

My guess would be because it's sacred to the owner, who doesn't really wish to sell it.

Whenever I have seen such things, it's usually what I call a "family-driven sale".  Someone else in the family wants the item sold, so the it is placed on the market at a silly price with plenty of obstacles to making contact with the seller or agent.

I saw this several times when buying land, and in each local intelligence confirmed that the sale was being forced by a spouse (or ex-spouse, as part of a divorce settlement) so the vendor was doing their best to obstruct the sale.  It is theoretically possible to circumvent the obstruction by contacting the person who actually wants to sell, but with rural land in the west of Ireland that's a very bad idea — it puts you in the middle of a family feud, and you can get labelled as a land-grabber for several generations, which is not at all a good place to be.  With a movable item such as a boat or a car, you can avoid the grief by taking it out of area ... but with land, you can end up with an aggrieved family as neighbours and their neighbours dotted around for miles.   I know of several cases where the resentment has been stoked for three or four generations.

But maybe Americans have shorter memories than the notoriously-long Irish collective memory 

That’s called Irish Alzheimer’s. 

We forget everything but the grudges!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

At $50k I'd expect to get some enquiries and possibly offers.

Those photos might be old, the thing may look (and be) awful by now.

FB- Doug

8 hours ago, paps49 said:

Maybe the huge head sail/coffee grinder setup made them nervous? Beautiful boat though, doesn't say what it's made of.....

Probably was not advertised properly:

"Keep your kids out of your hair and off of the phones with this boat.   Put them on the coffee grinder and have them sheet home the 170 after initiating a tacking duel.   They will be out like a light at the end of the day."

Parents would be jumping to get that boat!

- Stumbling

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

you can get labelled as a land-grabber for several generations, which is not at all a good place to be.  With a movable item such as a boat or a car, you can avoid the grief by taking it out of area ... but with land, you can end up with an aggrieved family as neighbours and their neighbours dotted around for miles.   I know of several cases where the resentment has been stoked for three or four generations.

Tells you all you need to know about Irish society. :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

That’s called Irish Alzheimer’s. 

We forget everything but the grudges!

I'll remember that, you bas***d.

;) :D 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Tells you all you need to know about Irish society. :rolleyes:

Yes, but our multi-generationally-curated land-grudges are nursed over pints, rather than expressed with guns as your southern neighbours do.

Just now, TwoLegged said:

Yes, but our multi-generationally-curated land-grudges are nursed over pints, rather than expressed with guns as your southern neighbours do.

I seem to recall a few thousand bomb and gun murders in Ireland over the past few decades.

I'm sure they weren't all based on religion and politics.

21 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

I seem to recall a few thousand bomb and gun murders in Ireland over the past few decades.

I'm sure they weren't all based on religion and politics.

That's in Norniron. They were slow to learn how the keeps grudges simmering rather than boiling.

But here's something.  I crunched the numbers on it a month or two back.

The Troubles in Norniroin lasted from 1969 to 1998.  Basically 30 years.  And only in five of those years (1972—76) did the per-capita Troubles-killings rate in Norniron exceed the average homicide rate across the whole of the USA.   At no point in the whole 30-year period did the  per-capita Troubles-killings rate rate in Norniron exceed the homicide rate for New York City.

Of course, The Troubles was a terrible, horrible time.  Many lives ended, many more permanently scarred.

But the comparative stats are shocking.  Our darkest hour was less violent than the USA's normal.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TwoLegged said:

But the comparative stats are shocking.  Our darkest hour was less violent than the USA's normal.

2Leg, you are not comparing Europe to US, are you?  //J

• Like 1

I AM NOT IN DIRECT POSSESSION OF THIS ITEM. AS PER THESE TERMS, I WILL NOT BE ABLE TO MEET WITH YOU TO COMPLETE YOUR PURCHASE. YOUR ITEM MUST BE PAID FOR IN FULL FIRST, I WILL THEN TRANSFER OWNERSHIP DOCUMENTATION, GIVE YOU THE ITEM LOCATION AND HELP COORDINATE ITEM PICK-UP.

Trust me.

• Like 1

How can you trust them they haven't even taken the boat out for a trail ride:

"THESE VEHICLES ARE NOT ALWAYS TRAIL TESTED"

12k for a contessa 26 that looks to be in very good condition, somewhere in Quebec. I'm only posting this because I can't afford it right now, this would be the absolute dream boat for myself. 

$_59.JPG

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-voilier/ouest-de-lile-qc/voilier-contessa-26-1984/1371595411?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

2 minutes ago, olaf hart said:

Go ahead, you can afford it...

Just gotta break out the ol' credit card cash advance........

wait, never mind, that's the very thing I'm spending time away from sailing to get rid of and never get again :P

On 11/9/2018 at 3:18 PM, Ishmael said:

This looks like a reasonable deal, obviously needs some interior love, but it's worth it just for the diesel. $3500 CAD

78803211_934.jpg

https://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/SOS-Sun-27-3500-FIRM-price_32568585

Several thousand dollars worth of assorted fenders included.

https://sunshine.craigslist.ca/boa/d/1976-van-der-stadt-sailboat/6729099351.html

A neat design from the 60's that was supposed to be very weatherly. I love the interior design and the fact that's it's plywood. Another boat I would just immediately jump on if I was about a year less broke. 

there's an add on another website that seems to be older and asks for 1k$ more. I assume this one has been sitting for a year or so. Here's the old ad (with better pics): https://www.ladyben.com/sail-classic-wooden-boat/67388-van-de-stadt/view-details

Maybe I should start a Patreon.....

00D0D_ibiDf345eaH_1200x900.jpg

It's a Van Der Stadt Buccaneer 23, and here's a fantastic video of one working downwind in some pretty awesome conditions. 

I wish I could win the lottery. 15k and I'd be debt free, own the boat I posted, and have enough money for multiple years worth of food. 

That Contessa is just south west of Montreal. A mere 10 miles from Ontario but a 2,400 mile round trip from Dryden.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Vaeredil said:

It's a Van Der Stadt Buccaneer 23, and here's a fantastic video of one working downwind in some pretty awesome conditions. 

I wish I could win the lottery. 15k and I'd be debt free, own the boat I posted, and have enough money for multiple years worth of food. 

You need a Shark.

Just now, KC375 said:

That Contessa is just south west of Montreal. A mere 10 miles from Ontario but a 2,400 mile round trip from Dryden.

There's literally nothing in Dryden to be had. I'm resigned to travelling for my next boat

Just now, Ishmael said:

You need a Shark.

I really like the look of those too

Have one laying around? :P

2 hours ago, Vaeredil said:

I really like the look of those too

Have one laying around? :P

I wish. I'd be tempted to do the R2AK in a Shark.

• Like 2

@Vaeredil

There's a San Juan 28 in Gibson's.  Looks like a very fun boat.   According to friends it's been for sale for a while.  I'm sure the price is negotiable.  

Pics are from a month ago.  

20181020_105310.jpg

20181019_164715.jpg

• Like 1

Oh yeah?  I don't really know anything about them.  Had heard the 26 has a good rep and right now as I type this I think I confused the name with the Aloha 26.  Whoopsies.

Still looks like a fun other person's boat.

• Like 1

The SJ28s always did well at our yacht club in the wednesday night races when I was a kid.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Cough cough {build quality} cough.

You should take something for that.

I don't know much about the SJ28 but yeah, the ones I do know about were not well-built boats. This one in the ad seems wildly overpriced, unless that dinghy and outboard are brand new. And the sails, come to think of it.

Lots of fun to be had with an old cheap boat.

FB- Doug

• Like 1

Edit- Nevermind, I see it's been covered.

• Like 1

There are a hell of a lot of 40 & 45 year old San Juan boats sailing around here considering how bad their build quality is supposed to be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

There are a hell of a lot of 40 & 45 year old San Juan boats sailing around here considering how bad their build quality is supposed to be.

Same for Hunters. And MacGregor/Ventures. Shitty, but apparently good enough

Dunno what the percentage of Lancers built that are still sailing but IMHO they are the worst-built boats I have ever seen. I could carve a better boat out of a banana

FB- Doug

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Same for Hunters. And MacGregor/Ventures. Shitty, but apparently good enough

Dunno what the percentage of Lancers built that are still sailing but IMHO they are the worst-built boats I have ever seen. I could carve a better boat out of a banana

FB- Doug

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Yeah, I think that for just PNW cruising you could probably take out a bathtub, and with enough skill get it pretty much anywhere you wanted to go. Offshore there's more concern about weak points but I mean, look at R2AK: almost anything goes. 

On 11/14/2018 at 9:42 PM, Ishmael said:

Posted about a month ago and still there. Hmmmm.

It’s not too common around the Chesapeake and mid coast perhaps.

It looks beautiful and of course, a survey would be in order as with any potential purchase.