• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Serge A. Storms

Noise Cancelling Headphone Anarchy

Hello All-   I'm looking to upgrade from my trusty 3M WorkTunes headphones as I seem to spending more and more time around loud engines and yard equipment lately.

Are active noise cancelling headphones worth the extra price?  And do they offer that much more protection for the ears?  I already have a bit of hearing loss and don't want to make it worse....

Of course I want to be able to listen to music while I work so BlueTooth is a necessity-

As always any suggestions / advice will be greatly appreciated!

Serge

Check out Bose and David Clark websites.

They both make excellent aviation noise canceling headsets,

I'm know the make them in non aviation form also.

Rob

I've been a Bose wired over ear guy for years. Wanted a wireless set. Just compared and bought the Sony wireless MDX 1000. Thrilled. Especially with the guesture sensitive rewind/fast forward, volume and mute on the right earpiece. That and a number of other things made me jump from my trusty Bose. Very happy. 

What's the noise? For constant noise, like an airplane engine or noisy tires, anr is amazing. But not good for say...  a jack hammer. At least that's my understanding and mostly my experience. 

3 hours ago, Point Break said:

I've been a Bose wired over ear guy for years. Wanted a wireless set. Just compared and bought the Sony wireless MDX 1000. Thrilled. Especially with the guesture sensitive rewind/fast forward, volume and mute on the right earpiece. That and a number of other things made me jump from my trusty Bose. Very happy. 

This is awesome stuff- I've got to fly to the med and back 5 times this summer to race and I want wireless n/c headphones- I want headphones that say don't talk to me, I'm busy not giving any fucks... I looked at the Sony headphones and was hesitant...now I know. Good info. Thks

I flew from sfo to atl and back for two years, out on monday and back on friday. I tried a couple noise canceling options but the system that I could use from sitting down to standing up to leave was very good hifi earbuds that I could replace the foam whenever it got ugly. I used 150 usd studio in ear monitor quality and with good foam you squeezed down and inserted I got over 30db attenuation of outside noise and could listen to my ipod and movie content for 5 hours with no headache or discomfort of any kind. This was 5 years ago now and maybe the tech is better but even though I could not tell you exactly why the noise canceling eventually bothered me it defintely did. Within two hours I had to take it off and then without it was misery.

Most ear buds do not come with the foam so you buy it in packs of 10 or 20 and keep it with the buds. You really have to roll it down thin with your fingers and wet it with spit to get it inserted properly and then it expands and the affect is amazing when you add in hifi sound. You easily forget you are in a noisy environment. Just dont pull them out quickly or it hurts.

^^^ This. Get some Etymotics and be done with it. They're the real deal, having made exclusively research-grade in-ear transducers in the 80's and spotting an opportunity to take their tech broader when the first iPods came out. 

https://www.etymotic.com/

Just this afternoon, I received a pair of Bose Soundlink II  over ear headphones in the mail.  I chose them because they were bluetooth, wireless and noise cancellation equipped.

So far pretty good.  Only complaint is that so far it appears that the noise cancellation is 'always on'.  Now the downside of that is that you cannot compare ON to OFF to assess how good they are.  I had a series of Sennheiser's and they had a noise cancellation switch and it was awesome to play with.  With the Bose you don't know if it is even working, further, when noise cancellation was not needed, you could switch it off to save battery.

Oh yeah the other feature I wanted was the cable connection if and when the 15 hour battery ran out.  I can always get a longer one but the one that came with it is too short to be useful for any thing but sitting at the computer.

Previous earphones I paid big bucks for always failed at the cable connections, so I'm hoping that no cables might be the go.

10 hours ago, USA190520 said:

This is awesome stuff- I've got to fly to the med and back 5 times this summer to race and I want wireless n/c headphones- I want headphones that say don't talk to me, I'm busy not giving any fucks... I looked at the Sony headphones and was hesitant...now I know. Good info. Thks

what do you use to cut out the babbling from the owner and/or tactician? 

2 hours ago, mustang__1 said:

what do you use to cut out the babbling from the owner and/or tactician? 

I try to keep them subdued with a little song I sing... goes like this:

"up two hold that, good, hold that, nice angle there, press a lil, hold that good there good there hold that up two hold that good there press a lil hold that nice angle there...."

18 hours ago, IStream said:

^^^ This. Get some Etymotics and be done with it. They're the real deal, having made exclusively research-grade in-ear transducers in the 80's and spotting an opportunity to take their tech broader when the first iPods came out. 

https://www.etymotic.com/

Cool site. Thanks.

Just picked up some Bang and Olufson H8 noise cancelling blue tooth headphones.....in a word:  Stunning.  Might be the best sound quality phones I have ever had, plus super convenient wireless and noise cancelling.  I have become that irritating guy wandering around the airport with his headphones on....

They are a bit spendy......

22 hours ago, USA190520 said:

I try to keep them subdued with a little song I sing... goes like this:

"up two hold that, good, hold that, nice angle there, press a lil, hold that good there good there hold that up two hold that good there press a lil hold that nice angle there...."

reminds me of the chant i used to recite to my youth sailors... . (btw my ride isn't racing till BIRW if anyone needs crew for leukemia cup or annual....)

12 hours ago, mustang__1 said:

reminds me of the chant i used to recite to my youth sailors... . (btw my ride isn't racing till BIRW if anyone needs crew for leukemia cup or annual....)

This'll be the first time in forever that I'll miss both the annual and birw...but...I'll be in France and Italy racing so it's not so bad... but I still suffer from FOMO. When I get home I'll have a week and a half before I go west to do the transpac then right back to Spain.  I'm going to hate planes more than I already do.... there may be a need to invent a new word for my acute narcissistic rage....