• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mike98gp

Kiter Passes Away Friday on Alameda

10 posts in this topic

Wow. Anyone have details on how this occured?

I have dabbled in Kiting, definitely want to do a camp and really immerse myself in the sport, but this makes me rethink things a bit...

may the guy that passed away RIP.

No mention of it in a google search. do you have a link ? 

in spite of the big improvements in gear and instruction over the years, fatal kiting accidents are still happening with some regularity.

i think that if you consider the huge number of people participating now, the frequency is probably down compared with years ago.

still, it's pretty unsettling...

Sports become 'extreme" when the conditions exceed the skills, either of the participant or the observer...

Based on what the eyewitness wrote, it seems he was far overpowered for his skill level. Had he been hooked into a 5 meter or even a 7 he probably could have handled the gust even without knowing how to depower. 

I started on a 4 meter traction kite, now I have a 7 meter, and even with that kite I don't feel safe unless the conditions are steady, which is rare at this altitude. The 4 meter feels okay.

I assume that I'm not the only one to have nightmares of happened to that poor guy.

seems like a combination of factors..

1) lack of skill/experience - did he ever have a full course of lessons from a certified instructor? possibly not...

2) unstable, gusty conditions

3) sketchy launch

4) too big a kite

Is it really possible to unplug quick enough in a situation like that?  I would think that with both hands on the bar that by the time you know you need to bail, it's too late.  One of the forum threads mentions the possibility of developing gear that allows launching without hooking up first.  Seems like a safer approach.

you can launch unhooked with current gear - but i think most would say it's not generally a good idea.., as you give up too much control over the kite.

could new gear be developed for which that isn't the case? maybe.., but i think most would say it's not a good solution

for one thing.., the supposed advantage to launching unhooked is that you can quickly get rid of the kite, if something is wrong.

but that loose kite then becomes a problem for anyone downwind - people have been killed by loose kites. say you are a kiter downwind of someone that lets their kite go - the bar on the loose kite can get tangled in your lines.., and now you have two kites attached to you.., only one of which do you have any control over. 

the best solution is to not rig too big.., and to launch in a way that keeps the kite in control

the problem w launching unhooked is that the chicken loop is always at the bar, meaning full power.

In gusty conditions i always launch hooked in, full depower on my lines and one hand on or near my quick release.

lack of Proper QR training and practice was most likely the culprit here.