• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Editor

mondo bondage

sc334

As the mighty Anarchy sails off to Ohio, I have apparently fallen and hit my head. There is now a new Anarchy and it is the old Mondo, Santa Cruz 33 hull number 2. I have sailed quite a bit on them, notably Freight Train, and I have always really liked them. Looking for a budget boat that has the ability to race, camp, cruise, daysail and just hang out on, the SC 33 is a very unique - some would say odd - way to do the above, but, it is done with with an homage to the past. Amazingly, the SC 33 is 40 years old. I like owning a little part of history.

We are doing a makeover on the boat to get it as nice as we can without spending a ton of money, and we will chronicle this adventure with a series of articles highlighting what we are doing to the boat as we go along.

We are keeping the boat stock so as not to give a couple of sadistic phrf trolls reason to fuck with us. We are also getting an ORR rating for the boat so that we can have some actual performance data and realistic comparisons with other boats as opposed to ratings that are often a result of the usual personal biases, petty grudges and  self-interested board members who are there only to attack other people's ratings while protecting their own.

We have some tremendous partners working with us on this project including OneSailsAus, Marlow Ropes, SeldenVelocitek, Pettit Marine Paint and Shelter Island Boat Yard to get the Anarchy III looking good, sailing good and making the boat a really fun place to be. Stay tuned... - ed.

Title inspiration thanks to the Tubes.

A reunion sail with the Freight Train team? Let me sit back and take a big puff and reflect. Maybe you should have stepped all the way back to a Cal 29 or a Dolphin 24, Wait I think I have lost my mind as well.  Seriously though good luck with the project!. Someday we have some serious shit to talk about hopefully it will not be when were back in diapers. Cheers to old boats!!!

I think this is an excellent choice of boats and an even better reason.  There are a lot of readers out there trying to decide what to buy and why buy it.  Perhaps your project will give them some insight into their decision making.  Good luck with your project.

I can't believe that boat is 40 years old. It doesn't look it.

I hope it works out well for you.

interesting trade, from a melges 32 to this.

you have to be the only person on the planet to have done this.  good luck!

So, so, so yesterday of a boat.  But have fun with it anyway, I suppose.

Sounds like you're trying to do a Dennis Connor kind of move... take an old boat and spiff 'er up... interesting (and maybe even good for sailing)

7 hours ago, Billy Bob said:

A reunion sail with the Freight Train team? Let me sit back and take a big puff and reflect. Maybe you should have stepped all the way back to a Cal 29 or a Dolphin 24, Wait I think I have lost my mind as well.  Seriously though good luck with the project!. Someday we have some serious shit to talk about hopefully it will not be when were back in diapers. Cheers to old boats!!!

it takes an old fucker like you to remember that shit! hahaha!

1 hour ago, akeeley4834 said:

I think this is an excellent choice of boats and an even better reason.  There are a lot of readers out there trying to decide what to buy and why buy it.  Perhaps your project will give them some insight into their decision making.  Good luck with your project.

i appreciate that!

22 minutes ago, Rude Dog said:

So, so, so yesterday of a boat.  But have fun with it anyway, I suppose.

okay douchebag, we will. i suppose.

39 minutes ago, yikes said:

interesting trade, from a melges 32 to this.

you have to be the only person on the planet to have done this.  good luck!

that is absolutely for sure!

I traded in a Corvette on a Prius, salesman said he'd never had anyone do that before.  Best decision I ever made on a car, much more reliable and my gas bill went from $720/mo to $145/mo.  Also saved on speeding tickets!

Sometimes a less expensive options plays out much better in the long run.

16 minutes ago, sailronin said:

I traded in a Corvette on a Prius, salesman said he'd never had anyone do that before.  Best decision I ever made on a car, much more reliable and my gas bill went from $720/mo to $145/mo.  Also saved on speeding tickets!

A little OT but I went from a Cayenne to a Prius when I asked my team to take a pay cut. Then 4 years later bought a Panamera and reinstated pay options 

24 minutes ago, sailronin said:

Traded in a 2004 Porsche 911 cabriolet on a new 2012 Lincoln MkZ.  Walked away with cash in my pocket.  No more $300 oil changes or $1700 for a set of tires that last 12,000 miles.  Lincoln dealer 4 miles from the house.  Porsche dealer 35 miles.  I still get a bit wistful when I see a 911 or even a Boxster.  But then I look at my bank balance and the feeling goes away.

totally stoked for you scot! i'm sure your gonna dig the boat and have a great time cleaning it up and using it for racing, camping, hanging out on, etc.

looking forward to seeing all of the work updates as you go along.

Those boats are super cool!  The red headed step child of SC!

Are you planning any HI trips on her?

Greyhound's video is my parents old boat. Was originally AJAX and claim to fame was it beat IMP boat for boat in 1978 downwind ocean race. My father purchased her in 1979 and we competed in the 1982 Vic Maui Race. Afterwards while sipping Mai Tai's at Lahaina YC my Pa ordered the first Klegecell SC-40 also named AJAX. It was a payphone by the men's room back then. AJAX now Muffin has been completely redone and does well in nearly every race she competes in. Too many memories to recount but super fantastic boat, would you expect anything less from the Wizard? SC-40 AJAX now Void Star

Edited by nwrig
added words

i think he meant going from a melges 32 to an sc 33!

"Girl, you though he was a man, but he was a muffin." - Frank Zappa.

Congrats Scot, Old times, good times. 
Still love this picture of Freight Train. Santa Barbara - King Harbor Race, us in the background on Kindred Spirit.

freight_train.thumb.jpg.dd65f640264135aab2c65f2aa0513577.jpg

Just now, Mach 5 said:

No, you are the SECOND person to do this.....  

0_1 (1).jpg

Word.

Good luck Making your boat as nice as Mach 5 has. Come up here and get schooled...

3 hours ago, Greyhound37 said:

Hey!! That's MY boat!!!

... And then we broke the gooseneck and went home! 

Just now, Editor said:

i think he meant going from a melges 32 to an sc 33!

Oh, That makes sense! Yes, That is an original play, but in all honesty, I think there is something to taking these old boats, updating them, and then owning a very cost effective platform for fun, at a fraction of the price of a new, 'modern' boat. 

Cost effective?  Think again.  New hardware, new rigging, new sails for starters and everything else that goes with updating old boats.  The most expensive boat is the one you get for free (don't know who said that).  Not sayin it ain't worth it but it ain't always "cost effective".

2 minutes ago, rabidskink said:

Cost effective?  Think again.  New hardware, new rigging, new sails for starters and everything else that goes with updating old boats.  The most expensive boat is the one you get for free (don't know who said that).  Not sayin it ain't worth it but it ain't always "cost effective".

One of the first races on Muffin one of the guys was talking to a buddy on a brand new J-122 across the dock.  Dude on J-122 says "yeah, we did 13 knots today" Dude on Muffin says "yeah, we did 12" pats the cabin top and says "10 thousand bucks!".  HAHA!  You do the math, pretty sure thats some cost effective $/knot comparison there!  

Oh scot, you are going to hate PHRF even more... Limited production semi custom? SD-PHRF are going to beat you to death with that thing.

Have you had your first rating read yet?

26 minutes ago, rabidskink said:

And the cost of an equivalent new 33' racer/cruiser is?

I think its a grand idea. I did the same thing sorta: bought a 32 year old Ben First 375 and have spent a year of weekends fixing/replacing/learning. My new VW cost more than the boat did, and that just takes a major stress out of boat ownership. The old gal sails like a dream, is holding its own in local races, and the whole thing has just been... pleasant. Much much more so than the same sized boat we went from which cost +4x what this one did and was much newer. I think there is a bunch to be said for making these kinds of boat choices, and I suspect there are lots of folks walking the docks thinking the same thing. Its about being on the water and having fun. Bravo to you and good luck!

I've been kicking my ole 40 yr old TTen around the course for decades now,  best bang for your buck on the great lakes!

33' is a great length for almost anything,  easy to solo, comfortably race 7 up,  big enough below to weekend cruise. 

Have fun w her Ed...

9 minutes ago, parclan said:

I think its a grand idea. I did the same thing sorta: bought a 32 year old Ben First 375 and have spent a year of weekends fixing/replacing/learning. My new VW cost more than the boat did, and that just takes a major stress out of boat ownership. The old gal sails like a dream, is holding its own in local races, and the whole thing has just been... pleasant. Much much more so than the same sized boat we went from which cost +4x what this one did and was much newer. I think there is a bunch to be said for making these kinds of boat choices, and I suspect there are lots of folks walking the docks thinking the same thing. Its about being on the water and having fun. Bravo to you and good luck!

Oh I do too. My Schock 35 was a total SB that has taken me months to get sorted (still not fully) but we do love having such a nice boat for so little spend.

1 hour ago, rabidskink said:

Did you read his list of "Partners"  ? I'd say some good old fashioned bartering with some front page add space and he'll have this boat tricked out in no time at very little to zero cost.   

3 hours ago, nwrig said:

Greyhound's video is my parents old boat. Was originally AJAX and claim to fame was it beat IMP boat for boat in 1978 downwind ocean race. My father purchased her in 1979 and we competed in the 1982 Vic Maui Race. Afterwards while sipping Mai Tai's at Lahaina YC my Pa ordered the first Klegecell SC-40 also named AJAX. It was a payphone by the men's room back then. AJAX now Muffin has been completely redone and does well in nearly every race she competes in. Too many memories to recount but super fantastic boat, would you expect anything less from the Wizard? SC-40 AJAX now Void Star

Ah....the legendary "Wally's Tours"!  I guess I wasn't paying attention at that time Ajax was a 33. I was too busy doing IOR in those days. When I went forward for my own boat I found the SC27 was too small. And for whatever the 33 wasn't in cards. Settled happily enough for a 30' Burns design. Still have had a long history 50's and 52's and Bill the Wizard himself. More by accident then careful planning. All SC's have traveled in time well. Good choice Scot.  

1 hour ago, kevswack said:

One of the first races on Muffin one of the guys was talking to a buddy on a brand new J-122 across the dock.  Dude on J-122 says "yeah, we did 13 knots today" Dude on Muffin says "yeah, we did 12" pats the cabin top and says "10 thousand bucks!".  HAHA!  You do the math, pretty sure thats some cost effective $/knot comparison there!  

$10,000 bucks?  That was the cost of admission before spending the bucks on the restoration and sails.  Saying the boat cost $10,000 is a bit misleading and one - of many -  of the yard bills probably exceeded $10,000.

We all know that There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch    (Econ 101,  the rule of:  TANSTAAFL)

But starting with something Fast n Fun from Santa Cruz in a great niche-size for economic FUN sailing with the Fam ?  Fuckin' Hard to beat,  that.

I like the look of the 33,  and it's a damn-sight better than the Chutspah-generation 36-footers, too - but having a boat that you know will take care of you when you've got the kids aboard is ( I think ) the point here - not to chase pickle dishes,  but to do a bit of coastal cruising with the Fam-damily.

You,  know: 

" I know you ordered the Sport Wagon Mr. Griswald,  but if you're taking the tribe Cross-country,  you really want the Family Truckster."  - Family Vacation   - all you have to do now is secure a doable Beverly D'Angelo-type, or chase after Christy in the 308. 

5 minutes ago, Team Subterfuge said:

$10,000 bucks?  That was the cost of admission before spending the bucks on the restoration and sails.  Saying the boat cost $10,000 is a bit misleading and one - of many -  of the yard bills probably exceeded $10,000.

Yes, Mach 5 knows how to save a cool old boat properly with a higher cost limit than others.  He does it right!  At the time of the story above tho it was a 10k investment.  So misleading story, no! 

I've haven't been around since the early days of Muffin so I don't know what exactly has been done to her.  That being said, what's the startup cost of brand new J-122?  

Mach 5 is still ahead!

I have to say it is kind of Ironic.

I think 6 knt shit box sailor deserves a break after this.

You are doing the same thing they are.   Sailing what you want and doing what meets your budget.

Enjoy it.

42 minutes ago, usa7776 said:

I have to say it is kind of Ironic.

I think 6 knt shit box sailor deserves a break after this.

You are doing the same thing they are.   Sailing what you want and doing what meets your budget.

Enjoy it.

This is really the important part!

It doesn't matter how much you shell out.  It's being out there and the size of the smile on your face!

I do know one thing tho,

When I die, if I'm reincarnated as a cool old boat left rotting in a field (or Vashon island like Muffin) I hope Mach 5 finds me and brings me back to life.

Here's one of his other projects:

I don't have a before pic but it was pretty sad.......

Got awesome pics of him with a huge smile from both these boats!  It's the smile that counts!

winch 116.JPG

I am enjoying the process of restoring a 1983 Olson 40 at Steve Brown's shop, Finco Fabrication.

It is not a cheap process, but as someone said, much cheaper than a 2017 boat. $10K for new winches alone. New everything. New wiring. New plumbing. New sprit, keel, keel floors, rudder, prop, shaft, strut, rebuilt diesel. All new paint. Minor interior wood work.

And its taking longer than planned, but I'd rather have it done well than done yesterday.

1 hour ago, By the lee said:

Cool. Will the new Anarchy have a carbon stick too?

One piece or two?

12 hours ago, Movable Ballast said:

Oh scot, you are going to hate PHRF even more... Limited production semi custom? SD-PHRF are going to beat you to death with that thing.

Have you had your first rating read yet?

santa cruz 33's have had the same rating forever. there are a few of them racing at 96 in long beach at there is no outcry for a change. it is not anything like semi-custom, it is bone stock. rating read? i just got the fucking thing. they had better rubber stamp it at 96, but of course it will be "provisional" so the whiners like brad alberts, and a sadistic little troll from swyc can start bitching right away. i won't tolerate a minute of fuckery from anybody.

1 hour ago, Rejected said:

Wanna cry............that should be the new name for it.

and what you should do is shut the fuck up. take another swing here and be ready to get bounced. 

2 hours ago, By the lee said:

Cool. Will the new Anarchy have a carbon stick too?

hell no. it has a tree trunk aluminum rig that appears to be the opposite of a carbon rig!

7 hours ago, Editor said:

santa cruz 33's have had the same rating forever. there are a few of them racing at 96 in long beach at there is no outcry for a change. it is not anything like semi-custom, it is bone stock. rating read? i just got the fucking thing. they had better rubber stamp it at 96, but of course it will be "provisional" so the whiners like brad alberts,and a sadistic little troll from swyc can start bitching right away. i won't tolerate a minute of fuckery from anybody.

With that info, I'd bet they will ding you the "light air weapon" status of -3. Same as they do with the Schock 35, Capri 30 and Soveral 33 among others.

2 hours ago, Great Red Shark said:

We all know that There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch    (Econ 101,  the rule of:  TANSTAAFL)

But starting with something Fast n Fun from Santa Cruz in a great niche-size for economic FUN sailing with the Fam ?  Fuckin' Hard to beat,  that.

I like the look of the 33,  and it's a damn-sight better than the Chutspah-generation 36-footers, too - but having a boat that you know will take care of you when you've got the kids aboard is ( I think ) the point here - not to chase pickle dishes,  but to do a bit of coastal cruising with the Fam-damily.

You,  know: 

" I know you ordered the Sport Wagon Mr. Griswald,  but if you're taking the tribe Cross-country,  you really want the Family Truckster."  - Family Vacation   - all you have to do now is secure a doable Beverly D'Angelo-type, or chase after Christy in the 308. 

yes sir! my fiance is as stoked as i am about this thing! we got a great slip at sdyc that looks out over la playa, and we plan to do a lot of lounging in the cockpit, overnighting and racing with a bunch of kooks (including mary!) 

7 hours ago, Editor said:

santa cruz 33's have had the same rating forever. there are a few of them racing at 96 in long beach at there is no outcry for a change. it is not anything like semi-custom, it is bone stock. rating read? i just got the fucking thing. they had better rubber stamp it at 96, but of course it will be "provisional" so the whiners like brad alberts, and a sadistic little troll from swyc can start bitching right away. i won't tolerate a minute of fuckery from anybody.

96 is gonna put you in with two of the three little bears you just mentioned...

It doesn't matter how much you shell out.  It's being out there and the size of the smile on your face!

I do know one thing tho,

When I die, if I'm reincarnated as a cool old boat left rotting in a field (or Vashon island like Muffin) I hope Mach 5 finds me and brings me back to life.

Got awesome pics of him with a huge smile from both these boats!  It's the smile that counts!

winch 116.JPG

Aw shucks.... 

Bet that is the first time a Donzi ever make the S.A. Forums!!! 

I do know one thing tho,

winch 116.JPG

Exactly right. It costs to fix up old boats and you get little of it back when you sell. You have to love the boat and enjoy the process. If you're going to count the dollars and fret about it you shouldn't do it. 

When at school at U of WI, we had a 33 that had been donated to the Hoofer Sailing Club on campus.  Long time ago, but maybe Boness(?) family from somewhere on west coast donated it.  "Mariah." 

As late teens and early 20 something's, we raced her hard in the Mendota Yacht Club series, and as a party boat in the evenings, docking at Edgewater hotel for sunset cocktails or post-race drinks, and a couple of fraternity docks for even later evenings.   Lotsa fun.  A few times the engine would be on the fritz, but could sail and park her at the dock like a dinghy.  Long after I left, I think the story was she got hit by powerboat while on the mooring and suffered an untimely demise.

38 minutes ago, Editor said:

and what you should do is shut the fuck up. take another swing here and be ready to get bounced. 

Should be on the front page!

NAME THAT BOAT

Win something from Teaky's desk

Wanna Cry is a good start

I am going first with "The Pram" as in Ed can throw his toys out if it!

We sail for fun, right Scott?

Then it is up to you to decide what is fun.

A race boat is JUST that, a race boat but with a fiancé AND a family a boat that can multi task is so much more suitable and versatile. Race, cruise, chill in the cockpit watching the 'dock walkers' stroll by from YOUR boat, pop down below for a cold one out of the cool box, a sunset cruise with just you and Mary.

The naysayers? Don't bounce them or get upset by them just observe their, what is probably, jealousy. Half of them probably haven't even got ANY boat of their own.

And if the boat is fun on so many levels if you win the trophy - Happy Days, if you don't win the trophy, guess what - Happy Days!!

SS

9 hours ago, sailronin said:

I traded a BMW z4 on a Mazda Miata - it was kinda nice to walk out of the dealership with a "free" new car and a cheque for $10k.

And my wife is still talking to me. Well, you can't win 'em all...

1 hour ago, Editor said:

yes sir! my fiance is as stoked as i am about this thing! we got a great slip at sdyc that looks out over la playa, and we plan to do a lot of lounging in the cockpit, overnighting and racing with a bunch of kooks (including mary!) 

Time to order up a fine awning.

"We are also getting an ORR rating for the boat so that we can have some actual performance data and realistic comparisons with other boats as opposed to ratings that are often a result of the usual personal biases, petty grudges and  self-interested board members who are there only to attack other people’s ratings while protecting their own."

Like what you did after dumping the FT-10?

That aside, good luck. Document it well, post often. Lots of people are in similar shoes; that is pimping out an old design that worked. 

591c819a6d90a_0_1(1).jpg.e8471713a326450852e7d0876898a03b.jpg.4273efe26a7f9ebd7030ba76e615d852.jpg

The devil made me do this...

7 hours ago, Mach 5 said:

Back in the day there was a 'Photo Anarchy' - At the top there was a disclaimer that said something to the effect of 'No weekend bullshit'.

And now the weekend bullshit is on the front page.

7 minutes ago, BigWaveDave said:

Back in the day there was a 'Photo Anarchy' - At the top there was a disclaimer that said something to the effect of 'No weekend bullshit'.

Its his own front page. Just letting you know.

2 hours ago, Editor said:

Too bad they stopped running the MDR to PV race

Was that 1981?

2 minutes ago, poopie pants said:

Too bad they stopped running the MDR to PV race. 

What was it 1981?

No much later than that.  Last one I did was 2003.  

19 hours ago, Billy Bob said:

12 hours ago, sailronin said:

Great boats...perfect PHRF

My guess is Scot will try to pull a DC and hope for an old ringer.
Better follow the Santa Cruz 33 thread about how they used Carbon fiber to stiffen the boat. Those 33 are oil cans unless you do the work.
SD PHRF will not like that.

It's an off the wind boat anyway.

56 minutes ago, poopie pants said:

Too bad they stopped running the MDR to PV race

Was that 1981?

i believe it was! not many can say they were stupid enough to have been on a santa cruz 33 for that...

9 minutes ago, Meat Wad said:

My guess is Scot will try to pull a DC and hope for an old ringer.
Better follow the Santa Cruz 33 thread about how they used Carbon fiber to stiffen the boat. Those 33 are oil cans unless you do the work.
SD PHRF will not like that.

It's an off the wind boat anyway.

there will be no carbon added to this boat.

1 hour ago, BigWaveDave said:

waaa. anything else you want to cry about?

1 hour ago, bodega87 said:

"We are also getting an ORR rating for the boat so that we can have some actual performance data and realistic comparisons with other boats as opposed to ratings that are often a result of the usual personal biases, petty grudges and  self-interested board members who are there only to attack other people’s ratings while protecting their own."

Like what you did after dumping the FT-10?

That aside, good luck. Document it well, post often. Lots of people are in similar shoes; that is pimping out an old design that worked. 

it would be great if you had the facts straight. i owned and raced the ft10 anarchy for 5 or 6 years. i didn't do anything for a year after i sold it, then i sailed a shaw 650 for a almost a year. and then i didn't do anything for a year. then i sailed a gp 26 for a few months. then i didn't do anything for nearly a year. then i bought the melges 32. and when phrf whiners started bitching about the rating, i had jim teeters do an orr/phrf comparison between a number of boats. the one boat that was "an outlier" according to teeters was, the ft 10. orr showed it to be significantly faster than the gift numbers phrf has given it. i simply used actual data instead of bitching and complaining that is the usual M O by people around here to point out that it is actually the ft 10's that needed a rating hit. and they still do. but of course because there was an ft 10 hack/whiner owner on the board, the rating wasn't touched. and then in SoCal, FT 10 owners showed up and cried like the twats almost every single one of them are.

ANYONE who has raced on or against an ft 10 in so cal knows that they have one of the most incredible gift ratings. there is simply no other way to look at it. so as i pointed out, you have no idea what you are talking about. and anytime you want to contact me directly to discuss, you are free to do so.

As to your other point, yes we plan to do all of that. i agree that i think plenty of people would be interested in what we are doing and do a version of it as well. we are stoked to have a dual boat that we can truly enjoy.

I like what you're doing there Ed. It makes sense in so many ways to pick up an older boat for less money, pimp it up to whatever standard you require for not too much freight and go out and enjoy sailing again. You get more boat for the bucks that way rather than sinking enough cash to float a small European nation on an elitist hot new design that may be just a tad faster but really does little more for you. Enjoy the fuck out of what you are doing and if you happen to win a race or two along the way then so be it. There's plenty of life in most older boats and plenty of fun to be had sailing them. Go to it!

5 hours ago, lydia said:

Should be on the front page!

NAME THAT BOAT

Win something from Teaky's desk

Wanna Cry is a good start

I am going first with "The Pram" as in Ed can throw his toys out if it!

You can't just win stuff willy nilly.

14 hours ago, Editor said:

A thousand pardons........I am not suggesting that you 'wanna cry'  over your decision(s)  as I too love old boats  and I did not perceive that you are so sensitive to misunderstood slights  that were not intended to be slights.......my suggested name was chosen out of deference to  woodworms that infested the British Navy  as i  thought your boat was wooden like Dennis Connor's  old boat to whom you were compared.........at no time was I suggesting a definition  of  Wanna Cry which is an illegal hacking worm.    Note that the "cry" in my post is not capitalized.    I wish you well as you move forward to unlimited success in your success model.     Dawg  sends his love.

56 minutes ago, Rejected said:

A thousand pardons........I am not suggesting that you 'wanna cry'  over your decision(s)  as I too love old boats  and I did not perceive that you are so sensitive to misunderstood slights  that were not intended to be slights.......my suggested name was chosen out of deference to  woodworms that infested the British Navy  as i  thought your boat was wooden like Dennis Connor's  old boat to whom you were compared.........at no time was I suggesting a definition  of  Wanna Cry which is an illegal hacking worm.    Note that the "cry" in my post is not capitalized.    I wish you well as you move forward to unlimited success in your success model.     Dawg  sends his love.

you are amazing dave. you sell your boat yet?

I will take a hot meal out of the oven, a real (electric) head and a cold beer out of the icebox on my classic Cal 40 over a soggy sandwich, a bucket, and no beer on some wet sportboat . this boat is still racing after 50 years, cruising, teaching new people how to race, hanging in the slip watching paddleboard talent stroke by,  this is very satisfying! Kind of hard to fuck with the rating too. The whole idea is being on the water having fun... the fastest boat is back at the dock first, actually spending less time sailing on the water than you are! Good choice Ed!  Enjoy! Screw the haters Defdave.

19 hours ago, carcrash said:

I am enjoying the process of restoring a 1983 Olson 40 at Steve Brown's shop, Finco Fabrication.

It is not a cheap process, but as someone said, much cheaper than a 2017 boat. $10K for new winches alone. New everything. New wiring. New plumbing. New sprit, keel, keel floors, rudder, prop, shaft, strut, rebuilt diesel. All new paint. Minor interior wood work.

And its taking longer than planned, but I'd rather have it done well than done yesterday.

Pix?  Start a thread.  Love the O's and a good rebuild thread.

So let’s say Hypothetical speaking I own a Ranger 33 that I’ve owned for years. And my job takes me to SD. I want to race in the local PHRF races but knowing my boat is old and can’t be competitive with the Dacron sails I have. So I beg Borrow and Steal and order new carbon sails. Well the new sails when sheeting in hard going to weather pull my deck up 3 inches every time I hit a wave. I still have the Rating of 163 that I’ve had for 30 years but my decks have got soft. So to eliminate the softness I put some carbon stringers at 100 lbs. extra weight to help. I could have cut out that part of the deck and replaced it with Glass at a cost $2000.00 and not had any or very little Weight gain. But money is very tight. My 6th wife is pregnant with my 12th Child and my 16 year old daughter is in a rehab again and rehabs are expensive. So the local PHRF racing is the only escape I have from my Very sad and Complicated life. But Wendy Wiener is already bitching about my Carbon fiber and the Fact the Gary Mull designed my boat and He had some very competitive boats in the 70s Way before Wendy was born. Sounds to me like I should have stayed In Iowa Racing on the lake against the farmers that didn’t care if I used a Carbon Fiber Pitch fork as long as I had a good time.   I think Wendy needs to spend more time on the boat and learn to sail better than worrying about what other people buy or do. My hat is off to you for the Santa Cruz 33. Kick Wendy Wieners Ass. I think Wendy would be intimidated By a Venture 25 with a carbon tiller.

Good choice, nice boat, and thanks to the Wizard's (presumed) nod to the old ton rule, you have some headroom below.  Enjoy, I'm looking forward to the upgrade articles.

Always liked those boats.  Never heard an owner say he/she regretted the purchase, and one in particular regretted selling their 33 for a newer boat.  
As a kid growing up in SB, I remember Freight Train coming up to town for King Harbor in the mid 70's (Dark blue hull, no?).  There were a couple of others too, as I recall. 

A few years ago I was shopping for a 33, but only butchered examples were available.   Yours looks awesomely stock.  

Vaya con dios.  

21 hours ago, Editor said:

yes it is and i can't wait to put frowns on their sad little pusses.

Neither can I. I'm now feeling sad that I left that fleet. Would have been fun racing with/against you again. Go get em...

But what about your kid's college fund? You said you needed funds for the future when selling the M32.

2 hours ago, SSN said:

But what about your kid's college fund? You said you needed funds for the future when selling the M32.

Community college has some nice programs.

Better add scholarships possibilities

Edited by See Level