• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

204 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, ordkhntr said:

We now have two months under our belt with our genoa and we are still really pleased. Last week we had some higher winds (for us on the lake) breaking 20kts. We went out and after arguing with our furler were able to get the sail at about 100% (its a 142%). Worked well, we blasted along for quite a while till the wife and I were ready for a break. The furled shape was still pretty good, would have probably been better with a better trimmer than me :)

Something to remember again is that we have made a TON of changes over the last season so its really hard to say exactly how amazing this sail is. We also have lot to still complete. 

Most of our sailing is lower winds, that's why we went 142%. We pride ourselves on being the fastest sailboat on the lake with a bbq. The 3di Nordac fits our M.O. pretty much perfectly. Next is the main, but because its so small and just kinda acts like a trim tab on the Ranger 26 we will most likely go with good old crosscut. 

Oh, and in the last photo, that's smoke not clouds or fog. Damn wild fires have been stinking things up here. 

20170826_195916.jpg

20170826_195909.jpg

20170905_192652.jpg

I know it's off topic but do you have no lifelines on your boat?? Does make for a nice set on the lower half of that jib.

5 hours ago, ordkhntr said:

We now have two months under our belt with our genoa and we are still really pleased. Last week we had some higher winds (for us on the lake) breaking 20kts. We went out and after arguing with our furler were able to get the sail at about 100% (its a 142%). Worked well, we blasted along for quite a while till the wife and I were ready for a break. The furled shape was still pretty good, would have probably been better with a better trimmer than me :)

Something to remember again is that we have made a TON of changes over the last season so its really hard to say exactly how amazing this sail is. We also have lot to still complete. 

Most of our sailing is lower winds, that's why we went 142%. We pride ourselves on being the fastest sailboat on the lake with a bbq. The 3di Nordac fits our M.O. pretty much perfectly. Next is the main, but because its so small and just kinda acts like a trim tab on the Ranger 26 we will most likely go with good old crosscut. 

Oh, and in the last photo, that's smoke not clouds or fog. Damn wild fires have been stinking things up here. 

20170826_195916.jpg

Looks good - we have the same sail numbers!  That is a lot of headstay sag and would keep the jib powered up (overpowered) in breeze.  I haven't sailed on a Ranger, but are you able to adjust backstay tension to remove the sag when the breeze is up as I can do on my J/109 and previously on my J/30?  

Below is a picture of another 3Di NorDac test jib on a friends J/109.  Notice there is just a little headstay sag.  This picture also shows the lack of "wrinkles on the leech" that was discussed in a previous post.

IMG_20161030_125536.jpg

Posted (edited)

Lifelines and an adjustable backstay are on the list for this off-season. Even after working on her for a year the list is still way too long :) .  We added a stern rail so the lifelines that were on it don't fit anymore, we are going to switch over to amsteel. Backstay was up there high on our list but we just didn't get it done. We just needed to get the boat in the water in July. Once all the stuff was done that required us to be on the hard we launched. Our lake is a flood control reservoir and they lower it October 1st to the point that we have to pull out from October to April.

Edited by ordkhntr
Added info

7 hours ago, WHK said:

Looks good - we have the same sail numbers!  That is a lot of headstay sag and would keep the jib powered up (overpowered) in breeze.  I haven't sailed on a Ranger, but are you able to adjust backstay tension to remove the sag when the breeze is up as I can do on my J/109 and previously on my J/30?  

Below is a picture of another 3Di NorDac test jib on a friends J/109.  Notice there is just a little headstay sag.  This picture also shows the lack of "wrinkles on the leech" that was discussed in a previous post.

IMG_20161030_125536.jpg

That's a pretty good looking sail. Our sail maker recommended nordac for a PHRF genoa on our 105. It was a very reasonable price, about 2/3's of what the new class jib cost.