• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Polish Sailor

SY Sassy, Palmer Johnson Maxi 78 ft by Ron Holland for Dutch Schmidt

Hello all of Sailors who knows and like Sassy

I'm new member here, and I'm the new owner of Sassy.
I'm writing this post due to make Sassy again great boat.

I had taken Sassy from Sardegna in Italy and now I have it in Poland, and it has been on dry dock since yesterday.

I started making big renovation, the plan is: clean whole hull and deck and put all layers from the beginning, put a new sails, new pipes, lines, and electrical cables, whole electronic. Generally almost everything will be new or renovated.

I'm writing to you because I'm looking for any information about boat, and I'm looking for people which was sailing on it from the beginning in regatta to write down the history of Sassy and find some tips. I read all on this forum but last topic is archived.

I want make it again as good as I can imagine. For sailing all around world and much more. I want start in regatta Sydney-Hobart and others. 

so could you help me? will be with me on this project? 
my mail: wojciechmadej.wm@gmail.com

for all of you I will put lot of new photos during our working. and after that. And everybody whose like/know/love old Sassy could enjoy it again.
For sure we can meet somewhere on the world in future on boat.

btw, I'm so interesting to talk (during our meeting in future) about yours party in 1987 after race. :) it's sound like a legend.

best regards Wojciech Madej from Poland.

18485736_374070109653765_5033003316434524302_n.jpg

18486114_373909626336480_8724678327496341559_n.jpg

Best luck to you. I I hope you will have enough recourses and determination keeping this beauty in racing conditions.

I wish you to get a lot of help and support  with this project, because refit on such big and older boat might be very costly and time consuming.

We will see you at the starting line sometime and somewhere in the Baltic

I'm sure there was a thread about the boat here a while ago, maybe somebody who can figure how the mythical search function works can find it?

Beautiful boat. Good luck to you. Hope you have deep pockets, maintaining and campaigning a Maxi isn't cheap...and gear failures sometimes resulted in injuries.

PM  this  to  Soak_Ed  ......... he knows all about Poland and boats ..... no other opinions will be needed.

Hi, everyone.
So. Has anyone got any diagrammatic drawing of all hydraulic on boat?
and how knows about the major accomplishments of this boat. I would like make also the chronological history of this boat and people who was sailing on it. I want make memorial.

If somebody has got the private photos which is difficult to find in internet please send it. I show lot of photos but maybe somebody has got any more from deck. (all of photos which was in old thread I saw)

Thank you for all of good wishes and keeping your finger crossed on this project.

* Slick470, thank you, of course I read whole ole thread.
* Happie Jack, Yes, it's good idea to chose the more important post from old thread and put it here.
* ThijsK, Thank you, I will check it.
* RKoch, what mean gear failures? The gearing of winches?
* Geff, Burtas, Ropetrick, Mad, Rejected, Thank you, it will be good time :)

no one knows everything but together we know a lot. so I would like to collect our knowledge about this boat.

best for us. Wojciech

IMG_20170519_092104.jpg

EASY and VERY IMPORTANT!!!

Who of you saw the hull identification number (HIN) and where exactly is it?
Where (on the boat/hull) I can find HIN, I've got problem with customs search of a ship because they don't believe me that this is this yacht :) and they have to see this number on the hull.

WM

It should be on the upper right-hand corner of the transom, just below the deck line. Or, look for it as a number panel/label glassed in near the keel bolts.

Sassy may not have an HIN as she was built before the requirement

If she was ever documented in the US. there may be an official number and a second number xx Net Tons engraved or routed in a visible structural member.  

Good luck

On some of the IOR boats of that era, the number was engraved near, or in the fore hatch opening in the foredeck.  When we put a new, larger forehatch, in the 65 foot Derecktor-Kaufman, Boomerang, the number had not yet been replaced, when the Coast Guard boarded us for a safety check, on the delivery back from Block Island Race Week in '82, and I got written up for not having the required number, replaced there yet.

Found this on USCG PSIX

Results for Vessel: SASSY 

ATTENTION: These results are from the PSIX Archive Database. Results from this database are for data before 12/15/2001.

Vessel Information: Vessel Particulars:

Vessel Name: SASSY 
VIN: D672609 
Hull Number: 
Vessel Flag: USA
Vessel Call Sign: 
Build Year: 1984
Service: RECREATIONAL 
Length: 78.100 
Breadth: 18.10 
Depth: 17.90 
Alternate VINs: 
IMO Number: D672609

Service Information: Tonnage Information:

Service: N/A
Out Of Service Date: N/A
Last Removed From Service By: N/A
Deadweight: 
Gross Tonnage[GRT]: 126 
Net Tonnage[NRT]: 113 
Gross Tonnage[GT ITC]: 
Cargo Authority:

Vessel Documents and Certifications
Document Agency Date Issued Expiration Date
DOCUMENTATION CERTIFICATE USCG April 1,1998 April 30,2002

And this on the NOAA fisheries site:

http://www.st.nmfs.noaa.gov/st1/CoastGuard/index.html

Coast Guard Vessel Documentation

Data found in historical database no longer in Documentation.
Vessel Name: CHEEKY   USCG Doc. No.: 672609
Vessel Service: RECREATIONAL IMO Number: *
Trade Indicator: Recreational Call Sign: WDE3730
Hull Material: ALUMINUM Hull Number: PAJ189
Ship Builder: PALMER JOHNSON INC. Year Built: 1984
    Length (ft.): 78.1
Hailing Port: BREMERTON WA Hull Depth (ft.): 17.9
Owner:   Hull Breadth (ft.): 18.1
Gross Tonnage: 126
Net Tonnage: 113
Documentation Issuance Date: March 15, 2010 Documentation Expiration Date: April 30, 2011
Previous Vessel Names: JULLIANNA    Previous Vessel Owners:
JAMES A LIDGUS 
JAMES A LIDGUS 
SASSY MARINA, LLC

Sassy spent a few years at Bremerton Wa. I saw the mast shortly after it arrived, it was the tallest mast in the marina and easy to spot. I never saw it leave the dock until it was sold. Most of the time at Bremerton, it was listed for sale. Sounded like the owners were a little over their heads with the costs involved.

Here is a newspaper article about Sassy (Cheeky):

http://archive.kitsapsun.com/news/local/by-boat-couple-takes-the-long-way-to-bremerton-ep-421555218-358401601.html

7 hours ago, Pinching said:

Sassy may not have an HIN as she was built before the requirement

If she was ever documented in the US. there may be an official number and a second number xx Net Tons engraved or routed in a visible structural member.  

Good luck

She was built in 1984 according to the USCG document.  Didn't the requirement for an HIN go into effect around 1972 or so.  If so, then she should have the standard 12 digit HIN.  Or, am I missing something?

As I wrote above, it was 1982 when USCG wrote me up for not having HIN on 65' Boomerang.  Perhaps Sassy was not documented, but state registered?

55 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

As I wrote above, it was 1982 when USCG wrote me up for not having HIN on 65' Boomerang.  Perhaps Sassy was not documented, but state registered?

Even so, an HIN was required by the time Sassy was built.

Maybe the HIN was on the upper rear corner on the starboard side of the hull.  I've seen it there in a few instances, mostly on Euro imported boats.

14 minutes ago, jerseyguy said:

Even so, an HIN was required by the time Sassy was built.

Maybe the HIN was on the upper rear corner on the starboard side of the hull.  I've seen it there in a few instances, mostly on Euro imported boats.

Most production boats have the number there, as it's required like the VIN on your car, but Custom builds not necessarily, if I recall correctly.

30 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

Most production boats have the number there, as it's required like the VIN on your car, but Custom builds not necessarily, if I recall correctly.

Hmmm.  Never heard that.

On 5/18/2017 at 4:38 AM, Polish Sailor said:

Hello all of Sailors who knows and like Sassy

I'm new member here, and I'm the new owner of Sassy.
I'm writing this post due to make Sassy again great boat.

I had taken Sassy from Sardegna in Italy and now I have it in Poland, and it has been on dry dock since yesterday.

My intuition tells me this is not your first boat: what was your previous vessel?

Peter Blakes Lion yesterday entered Yachting Developments shed for a NZ$1m makeover 

1 hour ago, jerseyguy said:

Hmmm.  Never heard that.

Look at any production boat built since 1980 or thereabouts, power or sail.  They all have the HIN in the same place, top right corner of transom.  Custom boats, I have never seen one there.

What a project, everything on a 78 foot racer will be outrageously expensive to rebuild/replace to a modern standard! I expect the new owner has a 2 or 3 hundred k plus to get her tidied up but it will be interesting to see how it unfolds.

32 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

Look at any production boat built since 1980 or thereabouts, power or sail.  They all have the HIN in the same place, top right corner of transom.  Custom boats, I have never seen one there.

disagree.  Seen them on the starboard side of the hull, aft, upper corner.

also, USCG guide to boat manufacturers says that a boat builder should provide an MSO (manufacturer's statement of origin) for a boat it has built.  Te MSO is supposed to include the HIN.  I do not find any exception for custom built boats. 

7 hours ago, Great White said:

Sassy spent a few years at Bremerton Wa. I saw the mast shortly after it arrived, it was the tallest mast in the marina and easy to spot. I never saw it leave the dock until it was sold. Most of the time at Bremerton, it was listed for sale. Sounded like the owners were a little over their heads with the costs involved.

Here is a newspaper article about Sassy (Cheeky):

http://archive.kitsapsun.com/news/local/by-boat-couple-takes-the-long-way-to-bremerton-ep-421555218-358401601.html

Not unlike EMERAUDE - one of the last Maxis built ( right before Matador2 ) - that is here in Honolulu.  Owners previously had a NM56 named Learjet that was within their capabilities,  but the massive replacement just sits - haven't seen it out in a very long time and it only used a # 4 jib alone back when they DID sail it - just totally and utterly so overkill for taking folks for a ride that it's not funny,  and now is in a sad general state of disrepair.

Maxi boats aren't for the faint of heart - they are a HUGE investment in time, effort, organization, labor and funds,  and getting it wrong can be very bad. 

Custom boats require a HIN; The USCG even issues a special series of "homebuilt" numbers since they do not have normal manufacturers initials embedded.

I know because I had to obtain one and carve it into the fiberglass hull.

Karl

I was amongst the throng on the lawn at CYC staring at this blue Goddess named Sassy in 1984.  The boat was perfect and seemed to be the ultimate in IOR maxis.  It went on to win some races that year but faded pretty quickly.  The boat always looked good while Dutch owned her. 

Fast forward around 25yrs and she's sitting on a mooring in Chicago looking like shit.  Sailing with ancient sails and not even pretending to be a race boat.  

Restoration?  I don't know.  But I did do a Cove Island Mac on an aluminum hull where I had to go on deck periodically to warm up when I was supposed to be off watch and sleeping. 

10 hours ago, Gutterblack said:

What a project, everything on a 78 foot racer will be outrageously expensive to rebuild/replace to a modern standard! I expect the new owner has a 2 or 3 hundred k plus to get her tidied up but it will be interesting to see how it unfolds.

Polish Sailor's first post says " the plan is: clean whole hull and deck and put all layers from the beginning, put a new sails, new pipes, lines, and electrical cables, whole electronic. Generally almost everything will be new or renovated."

How much of that 200K-300K will will be eaten by the new sails?

36 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

Polish Sailor's first post says " the plan is: clean whole hull and deck and put all layers from the beginning, put a new sails, new pipes, lines, and electrical cables, whole electronic. Generally almost everything will be new or renovated."

How much of that 200K-300K will will be eaten by the new sails?

More than all of it.

20 hours ago, Gutterblack said:

You're kidding right ? Try 2-3 million. To do it right that is.

49 minutes ago, Al Paca said:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS! 

On 5/18/2017 at 11:11 AM, Happie Jack said:

post-33230-020441300%201337180297.jpg

I enjoyed that view on a couple of Chicago-Mackinac races as they "powered" past us.....

And best wishes for the refit....

4 hours ago, billy backstay said:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS! 

for all you guys know he is the  guy from North Sails Poland who own a boatyard.

give it a rest

6 hours ago, Al Paca said:

I was trying to be positive, a paintjob, a few sails.... ok I was hopelessly unrealistic.

7 hours ago, Al Paca said:

2-3  million gets a tricked up modern 72 IRC maxi, this guy only wants a painted and cleaned IOR boat with a couple sails.    Take it easy the guy has a dream let him have fun.  The boat was legend here on the great lakes for many years-- hope he gets his chance too.   

Anyone got a good pic of Dutch driving the thing naked during a Mac race ?  I recall seeing that at some point in my youth.   Wait-- no I really don't wanna see that again...

2 hours ago, Parma said:

for all you guys know he is the  guy from North Sails Poland who own a boatyard.

give it a rest

That is a good start.  But looking at a couple of hundred grand to start with

Here is another Ron Holland maxi money pit getting a makeover; the once and future fine looking Nirvana. Queen of the fleet in Marblehead until her owner died recently. Now (hopefully) headed back to glory with a new owner.

Nirvana.jpg

1 hour ago, surfguitar58 said:

Here is another Ron Holland maxi money pit getting a makeover; the once and future fine looking Nirvana. Queen of the fleet in Marblehead until her owner died recently. Now (hopefully) headed back to glory with a new owner.

Nirvana.jpg

Thanks for posting the pic, she was/is a pretty boat.  I believe she is a Pedrick design (not Holland) also built by PJ though (from memory).  Looks like getting ready for paint, wonder which yard would not

take rig down and paint boat inside properly (away from wind, dust, rain, etc).

Captain Izydor Ryzak from Chicago bought it from the original owner and put the new mast in, generator, watermaker and number of upgrades, I have worked on the boat to get it ready for the race with Fazisi from New York to Poland. Fazisi did not showed up and we sailed it. The name of the boat at that time was Julianna. New York-Calais-Amsterdam-Swinoujscie-Gdansk. North Atlantic on a nice day,,,

bosysailor@hotmail.com

Julianna.jpg

1 hour ago, @last said:

Thanks for posting the pic, she was/is a pretty boat.  I believe she is a Pedrick design (not Holland) also built by PJ though (from memory).  Looks like getting ready for paint, wonder which yard would not

Yes it was Pedrick who designed Nirvana.  Had a beautiful interior when new.  Easy to see how it could be mistaken for Holland with that transom.

3 minutes ago, Bosy said:

Captain Izydor Ryzak from Chicago bought it from the original owner and put the new mast in, generator, watermaker and number of upgrades, I have worked on the boat to get it ready for the race with Fazisi from New York to Poland. Fazisi did not showed up and we sailed it. The name of the boat at that time was Julianna. New York-Calais-Amsterdam-Swinoujscie-Gdansk. North Atlantic on a nice day,,,

bosysailor@hotmail.com

Julianna.jpg

Is that Kiwi John, Pirovano at the helm?  Guy in red kinda looks like Chaz from Taz?

The first trip from Sassy Marina to Toronto in 2003. Czas leci,,,

Julianna 3 Falgs.jpg

HI,

Congrats on new yacht. I have not read all posts,  but I think a young man named Will D. 

looked after said yacht for years.  Great  guy, haven't seen in years.

email:            aurorasailscanvas@gmail.com

Cheers  as they say,  Dave

As an owner of an older IOR boat (much smaller) I certainly love these boats, and you see them sitting in boat yards around the world, usually pretty cheap too, and every time I do I want to buy them. But I know how much work it will be, and how much expense, and I wish Mr. Madej the best of luck, I really do.This boat pictured here, only 73', took four men including one expert shipwright over two years to restore it from an appearance point of view (inside included), not including any of the sailing gear or equipment. I was involved with that part and it took another few months. The hydraulic winch systems alone were a huge project, but maybe Sassy doesn't have that type of system. Or maybe it does. But there is wiring, electronics, electrics, plumbing, etc. All of it complex, and most of it needing maintenance. So, take a deep breath, and plunge in if you're ready.

Most boat owners I know figure it costs, after restoration is complete, between 10% and 15% of what the boat cost new just to maintain it, (sails, moorage, repairs, parts, annual haul out, bottom cleaning, Gees, the list goes on forever). So, for Sassy, what is that? Original price of, say $1 million? That'd be $100,000 to $150,000 per year.

On the other hand there is pretty much nothing mankind has created that actually adds to the planet more than a sailboat, and considering the amount of human endeavor it takes to build one of these boat, it is shame to ever throw it away, so I say, Go for it, but don't quit your day job.

Fred Roswold

I7013-Rennaissance.jpg101626-Barient+Power.jpg

11 hours ago, @last said:

She is at the hinckley yard in ri just saw her today. she is now in primer 

Will be interesting to see what conversations there will be when the current Supermaxis come to the end of their racing life ?,I can't see WOXI or Comanche being turned into cruising boats

On 5/19/2017 at 3:15 PM, Alcatraz5768 said:

She looks a lot like Lion. 

Semi close sisters.  Same designer, size/vintage.  Different builders/materials (Composite vs aluminum for Sassy) and obviously intended use (Whitebread vs distance racing on Lake Michigan/Huron).  Both good looking boats in my eye although both probably did not quite hit the performance mark that was hoped for.

11 hours ago, Bosy said:

bosysailor@hotmail.com

Julianna.jpg

Cool pic, looks like a great day to be driving the boat or even going along for the ride, thanks for the post.

it's our second day of grinding. but it will be long way. (photos in next post, 15' after this, I have to take new photos for you) we are planning our working time until someday in august.  we wil see. :) 

thank all of you for your engagement, for me it's amazing that so many people try to help me with this project.

and now. thank you (chronological):

* ChiTownRigger, Pinching, bill backstay, BFD, jerseyguy, klkirkman@aol.com; in this case everything is much difficult, as you saw on this two website https://cgmix.uscg.mil/PSIX/PSIXSearch.aspx http://www.st.nmfs.noaa.gov/pls/webpls/cgv_pkg.vessel_id_list the numbers are showing in different dates. I've got on fore hatch one of those number which meaning two different things depend in which database you check. even now, this number is disappear from last documents. but I have also this second number (under the engine). It will be ok, but someone made mistake in past. btw. I've got nothing on the transom even from inside and outside but I know that it should be there.

* chuso 007 and hmsmweasel, Alcatraz5768, madohe, I hope that this thread will be good to following. (today's photos for you)
* Great White, thank you for this article, it was few very important notice for us. 
* Peter Askew, don't worry, it's not your money :) but thank you for your opinion.
* Parma, my previous yacht was small Swedish boat (first post), and I'm not from North Sails, but thank you for finishing talking about money (your second post Sir) 
* Soundreamer, designer of both of this boat was Ron Holland and both of them are IOR maxi. thank you.
* johnhhs, this marine was the owner of Sassy before 2010 and the boat was calling Jullianna (source: http://www.st.nmfs.noaa.gov/pls/webpls/cgv_pkg.vessel_id_list of course I will write to them. Thank you, Sir.
* Great Red Shark, we do as much as possible. and I think that I'm strong :) 
* Gutterblack, Twolegged, sunseeker, Al Paca, Bill E Goat,  so it will be nice project and the sails are in order, btw. it's hard to talk about money on forum but if you want you can be a founder or sponsor :) think about it. our working deadline is someday in August. 
* dyslexic dog, if you can find some photos it will be great :) thank you.
* Cal20sailor, thank you for a part of history. all of information are good for me.
* 1sailor, of course I didn't order so much sails that was in 1984. We will see in future, maybe someone want or try to find any sponsors!
* surfguitar57, Of course I'm happy of this photo and I hope to catch contact with that guys. Probably they have lot's of very important information about IOR maxi.
* @last, we are grinding all of layers, not only painting.
* bosy, than you for this part of history, of course I'll write mail to you.
* davesect, thank you Dave, and I will write 
* Fred Roswold (nick wingssail), thank you for keeping finger crossed, I hope that you will see this yacht after renovation. Thank you for pics, I will try to find important solution for me. About hydraulic system, here is also hydraulic system connected with grinder (winches), 

So, I didn't make quote to everybody due to I afraid about mess. I will put new photos in next 15 minutes (I have to take it)
woj.

decide to polish/grind whole hull not only pieces, now we are doing hull above waterline. 

this is our method of working:
1 st man is removing a coat of varnish
2 nd man is removing a palette knife
3 rd man is polishing last layer before aluminium

[woj]

polishing.jpg

Hi Polish Sailor, My name is Rob Doyle and I was Ron Holland's Head Designer for about 20 years here in Kinsale and Sassy was a bit before my time but I'll ask Pat Lynch and Rob Jacob who were in the office at that time about her and I’ll let you know any history they have on her. I've just looked through the old RHD files and we have very little data on the boat, it’s a very thin calculation file that's it, her design number was #174 for your reference. Ron had a flood in the old studio and lost a lot of data and drawings on the old stuff. You should also reach out to Ron, he would love to hear that you’re doing such a refit, PM me and I'll put you in touch with him, he should be back in Canada now, he was only last week here in my office catching up.  Butch Dalrymple-Smith who was Ron's head designer at the time would also be a good person to touch base with, he has a company in the South of France called Classic works. Best of luck with the project and please keep the photos and logs coming as it’s great to keep the old records up to date.

Regards

Rob

8 hours ago, Bill E Goat said:

Will be interesting to see what conversations there will be when the current Supermaxis come to the end of their racing life ?,I can't see WOXI or Comanche being turned into cruising boats

Big bucks Jimmy.  They are not built to last. Not like this generation or even the classic K class Cambria. 

10 hours ago, Bill E Goat said:

Mari Cha converted pretty well to the cruising life as Sayonara.

Cool project..!  Sending encouragement from Annapolis, Md. ..!!  

I remember seeing the boat in the Chicago Mac. I believe it was 2002 when the big storm came through and she lost her rig under the bridge along with a couple of other SC70s who had various degrees of damage. I was sailing on Tripp 47 Success that year but we were south of Gray's Reef when the front went through and didn't see that kind of breeze.

I was impressed by the size of the rig and was amazed no one was killed when it came down. Maybe other Chicago crew a can add to this story...

I did several Mackinaw races on this boat and some deliveries in the early 90's. "The Big Blue Canoe". We ate well, slept well and stayed dry! Here is a photo from the start of a Port Huron to Mac race, she did okay when the breeze was on her nose, but dinosaurs don't surf. This was about the time the GL70's were showing up which weighed less than the keel alone on Sassy. Fun times, the guy in the red hat is Dougie Thompson, bass player for Super Tramp. We sailed with 23 guys and a chef, the only race boat I've sailed on with a dispenser for cold beers...

Sassy 2.JPG

A bit of drift won't hurt..........does anyone know what happened to Sassy the C&C61 that later became Brassy I believe but then disappeared off my radar.    Would love to know.

11 hours ago, Polish Sailor said:

decide to polish/grind whole hull not only pieces, now we are doing hull above waterline. 

[woj]

polishing.jpg

Pushing it,,,.jpg

Amsterdam, Captain  Izydor Ryzak at the mast.jpg

Kaziu Maucy.jpg

11 hours ago, Polish Sailor said:

[woj]

polishing.jpg

It is worth to make it nice again,,,

I don't remember port of call, but I am pretty sure I saw Brassy in Leland, MI harbor a couple years ago when we were cruising N. Lake Michigan.  As I recall, current owners had added basically a full enclosure around the cockpit.

Here is a link That I started in 2008 When it arrived in Bremerton. A couple pictures too:

2 hours ago, BayRacer said:

I don't remember port of call, but I am pretty sure I saw Brassy in Leland, MI harbor a couple years ago when we were cruising N. Lake Michigan.  As I recall, current owners had added basically a full enclosure around the cockpit.

I think brassy is still in Ludington 

If you want I can put you in touch with the owner of Condor, it is well maintained and he could probably give you some good advice

16 hours ago, BayRacer said:

Brassy still spends summers in Ludington and winters in Muskegon (Torresson Marine) for quite a few years now.   Yes there is vinyl condo development surrounding the cockpit, which suits the owners purposes well, they sail her in the north channel a bunch.    Owner (buzz) is a fabulous wood worker, and has fully fitted out the interior; it's been a lot of years now but she was  beautiful below decks last I saw.

I did the Bermuda race on her in'85. The owner was not aboard and it was like a boys' trip. I can't remember who skippered but we had some lake sailors from Chicago, By Baldridge navigated and it was mostly light. Never a particularly fast boat, she did have the pretty lines of those late Holland maxis.

Hi, 
ON THE BEGINNING, please Don't make off topics, it's getting mess.
this thread is about SY Sassy, Palmer Johnson Maxi 78 ft from 1984 by Ron Holland for Dutch Schmidt. Sassy and other names Julianna, Cheeky, Wild etc.

Ok and now, thank you:

* RobDoyle, I wrote a PM to you, it will be great.
* shoot, monkey, thank you
* wyd, Thank you for keeping finger crossed :)
* stayoutofthemiddle, maybe you have got any pics from that days?
* Trauty, it's nice story and great pics. Today on of my guys saw "wilington" during he has been polishing. But unfortunately he doesn't  expect that is important for me and he didn't take a photo of it.
* Rejected, BayRacer, quezal, 1sailor I hope that you find that other brassy/sassy. Maybe try to make your own thread it should be easier for you.
* Bosy, it's good to catch a contact with you and talk easier in polish language. I hope you can visit us, or we can meet in Poland.
* Great White, thak you again, I fund there few important notice.
* Bill E goat, I think it will be nice to talk with them.
* Richard 4073 Than you for this drawing, i download it. ;)
* DavidBuoy and also you colored version is very nice.
* Galley Skullker, if you have got any pics it will be great to see it.

Best regards for all of you, and one question in next post.