Polish Sailor

SY Sassy, Palmer Johnson Maxi 78 ft by Ron Holland for Dutch Schmidt

6 minutes ago, stayoutofthemiddle said:

I think it's easy to play arm chair coach but when someone spends the time and money to refit a classic like Sassy you have to respect the project.

We are in awe of the project - just not this proposed use of the boat.

Let's play guess the $pend...

Orig PPrice: ______________

New Sails:  _____________

Hull/rigging refurb: __________

I'm guessing

$425k

$190k

$250k

3 minutes ago, Raked Aft\\ said:

Let's play guess the $pend...

Orig PPrice: ______________

New Sails:  _____________

Hull/rigging refurb: __________

I'm guessing

$425k

$190k

$250k

You think the boat went for $425K? I would think much less...

3 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

I talked to a guy not long ago who had just gotten a new main for a TP52 and it cost him $47K USD. so $60K for a Maxi main seems in the ballpark.

Singlehanding an IOR Maxi around the world? :blink:

Didn't they race with around 2 dozen crew? How the hell would one person even get a sail on deck? They must weigh several hundred pounds each.

A world of difference between a TP52 mainsail and a mainsail for an old IOR maxi boat, nothing is linear in either the loads, material or pricing. 

51 minutes ago, stayoutofthemiddle said:

Don't rain on his parade. I admire the ambition.

This isn't ambition, this is borderline madness. 

An old imoca 60 or one of the old BT/global challenge boats as used by Mike Golding or Dee Caffari would be a far better boat for this trip. 

1 hour ago, stayoutofthemiddle said:

Don't rain on his parade. I admire the ambition.

Rimas and Reid Stowe also had/have "ambition". Do you admire them as well?  I also think the plan to solo transit the globe on the boat is crazy, unless he has millions to spend waste on this dream.  

9 hours ago, Polish Sailor said:

few updates about our plans.

So, firstly the yacht is preparing for NON-STOP SOLO Round The World and no assistance, my business associate (Ireneusz "Chief" Chwołka) want start in November from Gran Canaries in his race around the world non stop solo. (before he start in this challenge probably I will make new topic about that event).

Do you know how big (length) was the biggest single handed mono-hull sloop which was sailing in non-stop solo round the world and no assistance. (maybe it will be the biggest on the world?)

While not around-the-world - Jean Yves Terlain did the OSTAR (SH Trans At) on Vendredi 13, a 126' monohull. Not to be outdone, Alain Colas did it the next time around on Club Med - 236' monohull, with (rather primitive, comped to today's technology) automated systems to help him sail it. 

I tend to agree with others that this isn't the right horse for the course - while people are solo circumnavigating on 60' monohulls now, you have to realize these are light displacement bats that are not loading up anywhere near what Sassy would in the same conditions. Developing sail handling systems for solo use in these conditions (Southern Ocean) will be a challenge (and expense!) - not to mention keeping them functioning reliably.

9 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

Shit, i'd have a better chance on Quick Willy!

You and me both :-).   Though doing runners while SH was still a trick...

Pretty sure Sassy will be detuned FAR from its fighting strength in the IOR days.

2 hours ago, stayoutofthemiddle said:

What are the main concerns about solo on this boat if it is rigged for it? Everything can be led aft and furled up. What's the issue?

Starting with a simple scenario, let's say something fails with one of the furlers. Now what?  

Even if he manages to get the sail down by himself, how does he move it?  Can't use a halyard to lift it because he'd have to be in two places at once. Sure, he could slowly inchworm the damn thing to stuff it down the bow hatch, but that sail's now done for the trip. 

None of that takes nasty weather into account. 

I love the restoration, but the solo plan is foolish. 

3 hours ago, stayoutofthemiddle said:

What are the main concerns about solo on this boat if it is rigged for it? Everything can be led aft and furled up. What's the issue?

Everything on a monster like that is too big / heavy / powerful for one man to handle.

How is he supposed to manhandle a several hundred pound sail on deck, rig it and hoist it while in Southern Ocean conditions? It would be nearly impossible for one person to do at the dock. Relying totally on hydraulics and electrics for such fundamental issues is questionable at best, virtually suicidal at worst.

We had a 56' S&S (old Charisma) locally for years. Probably 1/2 the size of a Maxi, maybe less and the only way to get a sail on deck was to use the coffee grinder to hoist it out the hatch. Do you think it realistic to contemplate something like that while in 50' seas and 40 knots or more of wind?

Don't forget that all the loads are so great that anything going wrong can kill you - a foot block blowing up can decapitate you or take a leg off. A flap of a jib can flick you 30' off the boat. How are you going to get yourself over 100' up the mast to fix a jammed halyard?

We had a Maxi based here back in the early 70's - Greybeard - and the owner would take it in the RNSA singlehanded race. 40 miles across Georgia Straight and back the next day in light wind. That was quite something but to contemplate around the world is just crazy.

IMO.

3 hours ago, JoeO said:

While not around-the-world - Jean Yves Terlain did the OSTAR (SH Trans At) on Vendredi 13, a 126' monohull. Not to be outdone, Alain Colas did it the next time around on Club Med - 236' monohull, with (rather primitive, comped to today's technology) automated systems to help him sail it. 

I tend to agree with others that this isn't the right horse for the course - while people are solo circumnavigating on 60' monohulls now, you have to realize these are light displacement bats that are not loading up anywhere near what Sassy would in the same conditions. Developing sail handling systems for solo use in these conditions (Southern Ocean) will be a challenge (and expense!) - not to mention keeping them functioning reliably.

V-13 and Club Med were both designed from scratch to be single handed. V13 had 3 "small" self tending jibs for a rig and Colas had to drop out with Club Med because he really couldn't handle it - things broke because of his limitations - and he was one of the greatest sailors ever..

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

V-13 and Club Med were both designed from scratch to be single handed. V13 had 3 "small" self tending jibs for a rig and Colas had to drop out with Club Med because he really couldn't handle it - things broke because of his limitations - and he was one of the greatest sailors ever..

Agree wholeheartedly (kind of my implicit point when mentioning the "automated systems"). While in principle one could engineer systems to make it doable, with requisite redundancy, efficiency, etc, it really would cost ~0.5-1M$ to do it to the level where I would risk my life doing it. Think multiple hydraulic furling systems for jib top, staysail, yankee etc. (don't even start thinking Code 0 shit on this boat), in mast furling or similar for main reefing, full-on hydraulic winch systems and rig controls, hydraulic steering systems (ugh!), autopilot(s), then the multiple generators, control systems, PLCs, etc to automate/control it, all with backups... rivals a moonshot.  And this is in addition to the usual shit like nav gear/instrumentation, watermaker(s). Just buy someone's used Open 60...

Hell, Rimas is going around the marble in a POS Rawson with only buttery mashed potatoes and a cracked Delorm.  I say go for it.

5 hours ago, JoeO said:

Agree wholeheartedly (kind of my implicit point when mentioning the "automated systems"). While in principle one could engineer systems to make it doable, with requisite redundancy, efficiency, etc, it really would cost ~0.5-1M$ to do it to the level where I would risk my life doing it. Think multiple hydraulic furling systems for jib top, staysail, yankee etc. (don't even start thinking Code 0 shit on this boat), in mast furling or similar for main reefing, full-on hydraulic winch systems and rig controls, hydraulic steering systems (ugh!), autopilot(s), then the multiple generators, control systems, PLCs, etc to automate/control it, all with backups... rivals a moonshot.  And this is in addition to the usual shit like nav gear/instrumentation, watermaker(s). Just buy someone's used Open 60...

I agree. Assuming the old girl is still structurally sound, it can be re-fitted to solo sail around the world. I'd say your $1 million cost estimate is in the ballpark...new sails (plus spares), several electric furlers, several electric winches, generator to run them, new standing rigging, new running rigging (plus spares), electronics package, autopilot plus backup, safety gear, on and on. Maybe over a million. And of course one person can't push the boat anywhere near like a crew of 25 back in the day, so looking at 8 knot speeds instead of 12.  I say go for it...marine industry needs a shot in the arm selling, installing, and repairing all this gear.

On 26/07/2017 at 3:19 AM, Blitz said:

Hell, Rimas is going around the marble in a POS Rawson with only buttery mashed potatoes and a cracked Delorm.  I say go for it.

Not anymore!

16 minutes ago, carcrash said:

But why sail it single handed? You won't have a problem picking up people who want to sail that machine. I met a guy in Tuvalu who had a 50 footer something-like-a-Swan who was single. He used CrewFinder.com to find hot young girls who "liked to fuck under coconut trees" (in her own words). They would usually sign on for a month or three. There were always more when one would fly back to the "real world."

Damn.  You are making me miss my single days.  LOL.

I think it's very ambitious sailing an old IOR MAXI solo around the world.  Sassy is a lovely yacht!  An outstanding job on cleaning corrosion and old LP off the interior!  Are you going to keep that beastly bulkhead and quick acting submarine hatch??  PJ would never have had it!

i am a big fan of Frers and Palmer Johnson.  Owned a Frers 46' (Merrythought).  Sweet sailing boat.

If the budget supports, might look into a carbon fibre mast and carbon Park Avenue boom!  I think you will do fine with her.  

I was in the North Atlantic some years back aboard the USS Eisenhower.  96 thousand tons of aircraft carrier! 1,092 LOA, 300' Beam, 40' draught. 60' from waterline to flight deck!  Suspended Flight Ops, got all planes aboard, and sailed into a hurricane!  70 knots, and waves literally breaking over the Prow!!! The boat lurched and rolled in heavy seas!  I have never seen such conditions!  Thought about my little Frers 46' and how it would be out there???  

One thing i have learned - you have to

RESPECT Mother Nature and the SEA!  It can dish out things we cannot imagine!  I drive a Boeing 777 these days and can manage to keep a step ahead of the weather, and a lot of nasty things. Still I look very carefully at what the weather can dish out!!!  

The best redundancy can fail.  (Usually at night, in bad weather, or both!!!). Anyway - I wish Sassy all the best!  I'm on the planes WiFi on my rest break - amazing technology!  We are over Southern Greenland.  Anyway - please post as many pics as you are able of the restoration and progress!

Kindest Wishes!!!

PL767

On 5/18/2017 at 6:38 AM, Polish Sailor said:

Hello all of Sailors who knows and like Sassy

I'm new member here, and I'm the new owner of Sassy.
I'm writing this post due to make Sassy again great boat.

I had taken Sassy from Sardegna in Italy and now I have it in Poland, and it has been on dry dock since yesterday.

I started making big renovation, the plan is: clean whole hull and deck and put all layers from the beginning, put a new sails, new pipes, lines, and electrical cables, whole electronic. Generally almost everything will be new or renovated.

I'm writing to you because I'm looking for any information about boat, and I'm looking for people which was sailing on it from the beginning in regatta to write down the history of Sassy and find some tips. I read all on this forum but last topic is archived.

I want make it again as good as I can imagine. For sailing all around world and much more. I want start in regatta Sydney-Hobart and others. 

so could you help me? will be with me on this project? 
my mail: wojciechmadej.wm@gmail.com

for all of you I will put lot of new photos during our working. and after that. And everybody whose like/know/love old Sassy could enjoy it again.
For sure we can meet somewhere on the world in future on boat.

btw, I'm so interesting to talk (during our meeting in future) about yours party in 1987 after race. :) it's sound like a legend.

best regards Wojciech Madej from Poland.

18485736_374070109653765_5033003316434524302_n.jpg

18486114_373909626336480_8724678327496341559_n.jpg

On 6/20/2017 at 8:58 PM, Raked Aft\\ said:

Polish,

again w all due respect, this is starting to sound concerning.

Do you know what your getting into?  The questions you are asking should be coming from people three levels down from the owner of a 60 footer.

Please pull off the gas and step back for a macro view of your project.  Spend your money wisely on people who know what they're doing on boats like the one you just bought.

Your concerns should be which champagne to buy and how many checks are left in your wallet.

Get some help!

Dear Polish Sailor (Ireneusz Chwolka & Wojciech Chwolka),

i am extremely impressed with your ambitious project!  I passionately love the thought of restoring older IOR, Maxi's.  indeed these are extremely powerful, thoroughbred yachts.  Everything on them is ultra expensive, and HUGE!  Foot blocks, snatch blocks, leads, all fittings. However, I believe that if a person or persons has the insight, tenacity, vision, imagination and resourcefulness this, like any other achievement/accomplishment in life, can be done.  

Safety is of primary concern.  Any grand project ending with the loss of limb or life certainly places a damper on all the enthusiasm and best of dreams, vision and goals. That being said, we must look at the other side of the coin. Look at Richard Branson and Space X.  He does have a "monster" budget though.  

In the recent past, I looked at Cheeky, Sassy, SY, Wild, etc.  She was A LOT of boat, for a minimum INITIAL acquisition cost. 

I spoke with Jim and Juideth Lidgus when they had her for sale in Bremerton 

Please add me to your e-mail list, or buddy list if you would be so inclined.  I am a 777 Airline Captain who flies to Europe 4 to 5 times a month.  Currently I own an International 14', Banshee, and 16'single handed trapeze racing dinghy Contender.  I keep a Schock-35' in San Diego.  Looking forward to chatting or e-mailing

Kindest Regards

cheers!

PL767

Hi, again after small break.

and on the beginning I would like send best regards to PL767, MauiPunter, Steyoutofthemiddle, Carcrash and to all of you how are following us. Also I'm so sorry that I was out of forum (as you think is it lot of to do). For sure in next week I will put more pics and information.

We are working, it is not to much to show you but we made a demo of sprayhood which could be simple adding or removing. We need it for this singlehanded project and maybe we will removed it in next year.

how wants to be in touch send me mail on wojciechmadej.wm@gmail.com with your nick which you are using on SA. 

IMG_7162.jpg

20994327_417125195348256_2254307167666147332_n.jpg

it is, next level done, the hull is ready in 95%. We have to make last sanding and we will be painting 1f642.png

what do you think, which types of color will be better to put on the side (above waterline): gloss or semi matte?
color will be RAL 5014 (something between grey and blue)

burta.jpg

RAL-5014.png

Too grey, IMHO, more bluer would look better!  Wish I could remember the name of the blue we had on the 65' Boomerang in 82-84; not Flag Blue as that is deep navy, this was brighter...

On ‎25‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 0:37 PM, Polish Sailor said:

Do you know how big (length) was the biggest single handed mono-hull sloop which was sailing in non-stop solo round the world and no assistance. (maybe it will be the biggest on the world?)

I think the biggest monohull might have been "Adrien" (85') with which Jean-Luc van den Heede set the westabout singlehanded (and outright) non-stop record in 2004. 122days 14hrs 03m 49s.

4 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

More blue and as glossy as you can get it.

Definitely,

Any kind of matte will just look like it badly needs a wax job.

Good God...  I have seen her sail by in numerous mac races, I have been tied up close, Heck, I have even slid off her stern (on purpose) after a few too many in the Pony, but I have never seen her out of the H20.  (It might be the angle), but I had no idea the frigging rudder was basically the same size as the keel....  Is that original or in response to the roly poly's down wind??

1 hour ago, shaggy said:

Good God...  I have seen her sail by in numerous mac races, I have been tied up close, Heck, I have even slid off her stern (on purpose) after a few too many in the Pony, but I have never seen her out of the H20.  (It might be the angle), but I had no idea the frigging rudder was basically the same size as the keel....  Is that original or in response to the roly poly's down wind??

Keel and rudder were new in the late 90'. Didn't make much difference.

2 hours ago, shaggy said:

To be fair, that rudder looks to be dropped a good two feet out of the boat, and blocked at least that much off the ground. 

Edit:  after looking at some other random objects, I'd guess it's about a foot and a half in each direction, so a touch under 3 feet shorter than the keel. 

13 hours ago, Polish Sailor said:

it is, next level done, the hull is ready in 95%. We have to make last sanding and we will be painting 1f642.png

what do you think, which types of color will be better to put on the side (above waterline): gloss or semi matte?
color will be RAL 5014 (something between grey and blue)

There was nothing wrong with her original color IMHO.

3 hours ago, Monkey said:

To be fair, that rudder looks to be dropped a good two feet out of the boat, and blocked at least that much off the ground. 

Edit:  after looking at some other random objects, I'd guess it's about a foot and a half in each direction, so a touch under 3 feet shorter than the keel. 

Except the rudder starts at the waterline and the keel starts at the deepest part of the hull.

19 hours ago, Matt DI said:

Definitely,

Any kind of matte will just look like it badly needs a wax job.

Exactlly.  Matte will make it look industrial.  See Genuine Risk if you need an example.  I like others, saw nothing wrong with the original color.  The pigeon blue was an old C&C color (think Surfrider) and is great, but the deeper blue worked well on that great old girl.

10 hours ago, Jedrek said:

http://www.chiefone.eu/pl/News

Soon; nonstop /100 days/ sailing around the world :)

There is a service which will translate your website into something like 46 different languages and it's very cheap. I use it myself. it's worth it.

21 hours ago, Parma said:

There is a service which will translate your website into something like 46 different languages and it's very cheap. I use it myself. it's worth it.

I opened the link in Chrome and a dropdown menu offered to translate.  Translation looked excellent quality, until I found this under safety gear:

"pyrotechnic safety belts personal gynecological"

Nowadays your Sassy looks much different, but With New name, new a bit different shape, new sails, SHE Is One more time GREAT AGAIN. 

Irek would like to start to Non-Stop Solo Round The World in second half of December.

* about website, It will be in English version, but I've got problem with my IT specialist, he's strike out all of deadlines.
* you can check news on fb profile, I'm trying to add there English version of post

And last question to you (on the pics which you can see below, there is single handed gennaker which've got 290 sqm). How much sgm have got SPINNAKER and SUPERFLANKER? Knows that somebody?

.woj

Chief One under Gennaker.jpg

• Like 7

^ This. :D Nothing short of amazing for 6 months work.

Good luck with your plans. (Leaving Poland in December?)

Outstanding job!  Have a most excellent adventure and journey!  All the best!  And way to bring the old girl back to life.  Be safe...

4 hours ago, Polish Sailor said:

no, Irek wants start from Canary Islands. but I will be delivering yacht from Poland to Gran Canaries. 

Still means winter crossings of the Baltic :o, North Sea :o and Biscay. :o

On 13.11.2017 at 2:27 AM, SloopJonB said:

Still means winter crossings of the Baltic :o, North Sea :o and Biscay. :o

Yes, this is my job, how to successfully cross Baltic, North Sea and Biscay, and go to Canary Island before 18.12

so, keep your finger crossed :) please.

54 minutes ago, Polish Sailor said:

Yes, this is my job, how to successfully cross Baltic, North Sea and Biscay, and go to Canary Island before 18.12

so, keep your finger crossed :) please.

the naysayers will continue to suggest problems - listen & understand but don"t hesitate to ignore them

On 11/12/2017 at 4:53 AM, charisma94 said:

i like it, a lot.

if i were 20 years younger and didnt know what I know now, I'd be all over that.

Moi Aussi!!  Best of luck Polish Sailor!  Many will think it a fools errand to singlehand any boat, especially a maxi, across such bodies of water in the winter months.  We hope that the Gods smile upon you!!!

On 11/18/2017 at 10:47 AM, Parma said:

the naysayers will continue to suggest problems - listen & understand but don"t hesitate to ignore them

Pointing out the potential pitfalls of a rather extreme proposition is not being a "naysayer".

I think everyone here is in awe of the project and the remarkable results to date and wish PS only the best - BUT - the proposed uses of the boat - winter crossings of some of the most violent and dangerous waters on earth, RTW singlehanded on that monster etc. give one pause - or should.

Woj,

I wish I saw this thread (much) earlier.

I rebuilt some of the Navtec hydraulics for Isadore when he was passing through New York area - might have been 14-15 years ago?
If you need any information about the system let me know - I'm sure I have information in my records (Navtec System VI valves, if I remember correctly).

legend-rigging@sbcglobal.net would be best way to contact me.

Good luck in your travels.

Hey Polish sailor et all,

It has passed a month from last update with photos... Pls show us more photos covering details in and out. I just stumbled on this thread and really enjoyed reading about your project. I almost went to Gibraltar to look at her a couple of years back but my better half stopped me from entering a new restoration project of this magnitude.

//FOP

hi

it was very busy weeks

check facebook profile:

facebook.com/chiefoneexpeditions

and

https://eur-share.inreach.garmin.com/IreneuszChwoka

also on marine traffic and vessel finder (Chief One) - but with some delays

we are on the way to the Canary Islands

probably more news comes in two-tree weeks ftom Wojtek 

all the best, Merry Christmas and a happy new year

K

1 hour ago, kszyh.km said:

hi

it was very busy weeks

check facebook profile:

facebook.com/chiefoneexpeditions

and

https://eur-share.inreach.garmin.com/IreneuszChwoka

also on marine traffic and vessel finder (Chief One) - but with some delays

we are on the way to the Canary Islands

probably more news comes in two-tree weeks ftom Wojtek 

all the best, Merry Christmas and a happy new year

K

show some tits or it didnt happen .

I know many of us doubted this project but what you've done to bring the old girl back is nothing short of remarkable.  I know I will be checking progress each day and cheering you along.  Great job!

• Like 1

He’s really doing it!!!

16954B85-00AE-418E-B47B-3843B44A909A.jpeg

Edited by Sail4beer
Wrong size image
  • Like 1

Congratulations!  Happiest of New Years to you and yours!  Enjoy your journey!  Thank you for all your updates.

• Like 1

Hi, everyone, :) 

Yesterday I came back to Poland, so I've got some information for you.

First about sailing from Poland to Canary Islands.
It was hard sailing against stormy wind. We had had to wait 7 days in Cuxhaven cos strong wind stopped us and after that the wind changed direction and we was sailing downwind. and the wind was blowing 52,5 knots.

We jumped quickly throw the La Manche and Biscay Bay.

So at the 02.01.18r Irek started from Santa Cruz de Tenerife as you saw above.

I will make new topic, of sailing around the world. cos I think, that the topic of this renovation is done. It will be updated after this voyage cos we will be making one more time small renovation :)

ok! thank you all for being with us, thank you for the all of tips, notification and you knowledge. It was really helpful for us.

I add some more pics for you, cos few of you want it. so here you are, just below.

chief one 01.jpg

chief one 02.jpg

chief one 03.jpg

chief one 04.jpg

chief one 05.jpg

chief one 06.jpg

chief one 07.jpg

chief one 08.jpg

chief one 09.jpg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, slug zitski said:

Your staysail looks very small ?

i dont see a spinnaker pole ?

Hi, On this picture The J1 is 100m2. He took also J1 which is 60m2. and J2 42 m2 and J2 22,8m.

also before J1 we've got rolled Code Zero 190m2 and rolled Gennaker 300m2. Irek will be sailing usually with strong 30-55 knots of wind during his voyage.
Only on Atlantic Ocean the wind will more weak so there he will be using C0 up to wind and Gen downwind. He didn't took Spinnaker pole cos it's no possible to use spinnaker by himself. 

I sail a similar 25 year old  Ron holland.

the spi pole is absolutey needed.  

I very Seldom use the assymetric  spi at sea..it is reserved for light wind, beam reaching 

genoa to leeward, staysail to windward on the pole.  125 awa is comfy 

i have sailed many, many thousands of miles under this rig

the boat makes speed , the sails are stable and  the boat tracks well..so the autopilot is not stressed 

IMG_7747.png

• Like 2

12 hours ago, slug zitski said:

I sail a similar 25 year old  Ron holland.

the spi pole is absolutey needed.  

I very Seldom use the assymetric  spi at sea..it is reserved for light wind, beam reaching 

genoa to leeward, staysail to windward on the pole.  125 awa is comfy 

i have sailed many, many thousands of miles under this rig

the boat makes speed , the sails are stable and  the boat tracks well..so the autopilot is not stressed 

IMG_7747.png

Now I see yacht with the yellow headed bird on the transom. Nice yacht, Slug!!