PrairieSailor

Any S2 owners out there?!

Not much out there about S2's.  I picked one up last year and hoping to find people to ask questions as they come up.  I'm sailing on a goofy little boat, a 6.8.  Thanks and happy sailing!

I sail on a 9.1, owner's previous boat was a 6.8.  What are you looking for?

34 minutes ago, TBone said:

"Goofy" with the companionway to port?

My family has a 6.7. Indeed with a hatch to port.

My companionway is centered, my goofy reference is the non traditional lines.  Sailman-did you have the exciter version 6.8 or the standard shoal? Mine is the shoal draft (no swing keel).  How'd you like yours? Features you enjoyed/didn't like?

Thanks for replies 

There is an S2 Facebook group and, I believe, another S2 group somewhere on the web.

They are strong, well built boats. Some racing circles are still dominated by S2's which are getting a bit elderly now. I am curious why they are raced since they are quite on the heavier end.

1) You will encounter jealousy from owners of lesser boats. Just the way it has always been. I recently had a delusional poster instruct me to chop mine up with a chainsaw. He was apparently lost on the custom keel construction.

2) They hold their value better than most. Throwing money at them is a little less painful for that reason.

Mine sat unused in a slip for eight years. I am going to refinish the hull which has a couple dozen nickel sized blisters. Have to replace a lot of rigging of course. Other than that, it can be sailed right now which I consider a bit remarkable. I have still found no leaks.

Others beg to differ but I find the interior a bit spartan compared to photographs that are proudly shared. Mine needs cleaning of course.

I think the 7.9 was their biggest seller, that is what I have.

The only material that hasn't aged as well as hoped are the stainless "poles" to keep passengers on the boat. Mine have some surface rust. It may also be a thin layer of chrome for all I know.

Are you new to this? Web sailors are, by far, the saltiest group that I have ever encountered by multitudes. Salty is far too kind of a word. Of course there are many gentlemen sprinkled amongst the salty salts. Power boat owners have been reminiscent of Sir Walter Raleigh by comparison....I have three old, small power boats. Be careful about posting. Many newcomer posts are followed up with public blood lettings. I have no idea why, we were all new at some time.

Old boats will rarely return investments. Keep that in mind. Nice thing about older boats is that there exists a solid track record of the various pros and cons of each boat. The smaller manufacturers generally made the better boats.

• Like 1

We've had several 7.9s in our weeknight fleet for years.  They sail well and rarely suffer breakdowns.  I don't own one, but as a competitor, I think they're good boats.

I own a 9.1 

New to sailing a "bigger" boat. Longtime reader of SA, obviously new poster.  Thanks for your take on S2's and chiming in.  I'm not worried about the keyboard pirates, I've read enough on the forums to know what to expect.  

Hoping to hear from another 6.8 shoal draft owner and hear more about the performance of this flat sailing cruiser. 

Have a good one!

While we are on the topic of S2s, anyone have experience with the 5.5?

Wondering how the sail in spite of having the "companion way" to port.

I own a 9.1. Quite a nice boat to sail.

Good boats, and the 7.9 is a hoot to race and cruise. A word of caution on the offset companionways: They work great, but you must have the boards in for anything over five knots. A round up or broach with the offset companionway opening on the low side  can quickly sink the boat.

I have a 7.9. Have had it for 19 years.

Mostly day sail now and a beer can ever now and then.

Maybe shouldn't admit this, but we own an S2 8.0B. Yeah. Probably the slowest boat on the lake. But it does make a great raft-up platform and dock condo. So, yeah.

Anyhoo, got a lot of help with the restoration project here:

S2 Owners Forum

Hey softdown,

You mentioned in another thread that you're above average height. As someone of similar size, who's looking to buy a 7.9, I was hoping you might comment on how well you fit in the bunk(s) - or not?

Thanks

I'm 6'1" tall, slept like a baby in the V berth... both quarter berths were Ok as well tighter but doable.... The mind-numbing part of the boat is the 5'8" max height below Just high enough that you feel it could have spared 4 inches.  Just low enough to remind you that its still a small boat (despite its weight).

I owned my S2 7.9 for 2 years... I'm sailing a Schock Wavelength 24 now, prior boats were S2 7.9, Capri 22, and Capri 25.

12 hours ago, SHNOOL said:

I'm 6'1" tall, slept like a baby in the V berth... both quarter berths were Ok as well tighter but doable.... The mind-numbing part of the boat is the 5'8" max height below Just high enough that you feel it could have spared 4 inches.  Just low enough to remind you that its still a small boat (despite its weight).

I owned my S2 7.9 for 2 years... I'm sailing a Schock Wavelength 24 now, prior boats were S2 7.9, Capri 22, and Capri 25.

V-Berth or if the mirror is in place "the forward sexual observation room" 

7.9 Class Championship Regatta will be at MBYC this fall in Holland Michigan. Wed. nights we have 10 - 12 boats on the line. They were made in Holland Mi at S2 (Tiara, Slikker Yachts)

On 5/21/2017 at 10:31 AM, softdown said:

You will encounter jealousy from owners of lesser boats... I recently had a delusional poster instruct me to chop mine up with a chainsaw.

Actually softhead, I said to use a Sawzall (before you deleted your thread), but a chainsaw would get the job done much quicker.

And, if you think for a moment that your 26' trailer-sailor makes me jealous of my Bob Perry designed CT37, it is you my friend who is delusional....

Oh yeah, those little "stainless poles" that keep you from falling overboard are called stanchions, by the way.

I gots me some of them crew-keepin' poles too !   They need an occasional wiping off ?  Who knew this ?

How about them there funny big triangle bed-sheet thingies,  you put them up on the big pole yet ?

Time to check your rutters !

2 hours ago, Great Red Shark said:

I gots me some of them crew-keepin' poles too !   They need an occasional wiping off ?  Who knew this ?

How about them there funny big triangle bed-sheet thingies,  you put them up on the big pole yet ?

Time to check your rutters !

Are they "chrome" crew keepin' poles, or just plain 'ol stainless?

I have a 9.1. Nothing but praise for it. Solid, good looking, decent speed, low maintenance.

I'm a relatively new 7.9 owner. Well...had the boat for a while but stuff got in the way of sailing a lot until this year.

I'm 6' 2", 300lbs and I snore a lot and sleep just great in the quarter berths. The forepeak is crammed with sails.  I think the potti is a waste of space but what else are you going to do with that little area once you have a daggerboard case in there?

So far most sailing has been solo or two-up, love the boat for that except for the tendency of the rudder to hard-over the second you let go of the tiller to do something else.  A large reason for why I bought it was that when I went looking for online information, I saw a couple of threads here on SA where owners and competitors sang the boats praises to no end.  Also, S2 made 500+ of them. If the boat was a POS it's hard to keep a production run going into the 500's.  WHen I saw the cockpit I nodded..."this is good". When I saw that there was enough room down below to exist for several days without being miserable, I was happy.  When I looked at the prevailing PHRF rating I was happy. When I found out that one had done the Pac Cup doublehanded, I wrote the check.

Call me crazy but I have a wild idea that will take me to Guam in either 2020 or 2022.  I know that an S2 7.9 is probably not everybody's idea of the best boat to go island hopping in.

In 1946, my dad at the age of 23 was made CO of an LCI. LCI were overgrown landing craft, made for putting troops and light vehicles like small trucks and jeeps up on the beach. Anyway he started in Guam.... took aboard about a dozen doctors, social scientists, agricultural experts, experts in micronesian culture and so on. They did a West to East tour of about half of the larger islands in Micronesia with a little foray about 600 miles south to an Atoll called Kapingamirangi.   They finished up in Honholulu and offloaded some huge quanitity of artifacts to the Bishop Museum.   All that research was written up in a huge report about the socioeconomic status of Micronesia after WWII and submitted to the United Nations.  That documentation was used to design the UN Charter that created the "Trust Territories of Micronesia" which was supervised by the USA.  The Trust Territories ended about 20 years ago and Micronesia is now an independent nation.   I have a copy of this report.

Now, my dad wasn't someone who took a lot of pictures or collected momentos during his career, but on this trip he took a mess of photographs. I have that album.  In about 2000 I wrote to the National Archives and got a copy of the deck log for that LCI during the time Dad was CO.  So now I know exactly what islands they went to, exactly where they anchored, exactly what they did....like detonate an unexploded bomb on Rarir, for example.

I have this whacked-out idea of doing the SHTP, and taking a break in Hanalei. Then, back to Honolulu. Fix stuff, buy stuff, whatever... then take a spin through the Kewalo Basin if I can con my way into the Port letting me do it and head for Micronesia. I'd like to do my dad's 1946 voyage in reverse, ending up in Guam.  Then I get some locals to build a trailer of some sort and load the boat on a Matson ship, and meet up with it in Oakland.

In an S2 7.9. I know it's crazy.

======

I'm glad to hear that Ankle Biter is still providing good times!  Hi to Pete, he's a good dude!

Do you have any of the photos online? I'd be interested in checking them out!

I think your head is on right to take a 7.9. I cruised a Sabre 38 for years, and what a ginormous pita a big boat is. Got sick of the upkeep and cost and sold it. Much much happier with the 7.9, and would take it anywhere. It's bullet proof, manageable, and you'll never waste time fixing or paying to fix crap. And 13" of draft with the board up changes the world. Also, if shit goes seriously sideways, you haven't lost your life savings. I sleep like a baby now, and would never get another big boat, personally.

On 5/22/2017 at 6:52 PM, JohnnyG said:

Hey softdown,

You mentioned in another thread that you're above average height. As someone of similar size, who's looking to buy a 7.9, I was hoping you might comment on how well you fit in the bunk(s) - or not?

Thanks

I just barely, barely fit in the vberth. The boat was made in the 70's and few people exceeded 6'3" in height. That must be what the S2 designers thought. I figure 6'3" would be fairly comfortable. More than that and your pillow may fall off the edge since it will be hanging off a bit.

The foam cushion for the quarter berth is about 7' long. Makes a great bed for a regular boat. I love sleeping under the stars....until it rains.

I've only done about 6 miles. The boat feels rock solid to me. Even while in the washing machine action of one river entering another river. The previous owner stiffened up the keel while making it a 4' draft using a keel that is about 12' long. thereefgeeks reaction, since he did not understand the configuration, was to chop it up. Lots of arses know how to sail. Lots. Plenty of gentlemen sprinkled about of course.

I have no idea about your experience level. If doing it over again, I would learn on a slightly smaller, much lighter boat. On the other hand, I would have no qualms with blue water cruising a deep keeled 7.9.

2 hours ago, Glide10 said:

Just bought the 9.1 SE Hound Dog. Are there any other SE owners out there? 

IMG_20181023_114751937_HDR.jpg

congrats. pretty boat.

What's going on with the rub strip on the rear quarter? is it like that on the other side too?

23 hours ago, Glide10 said:

Just bought the 9.1 SE Hound Dog. Are there any other SE owners out there? 

IMG_20181023_114751937_HDR.jpg

Some fantastic memories, including my first rum drink, on that old warhorse. 

I'm JEALOUS !! Presently own a S2 7.9 which is a great boat. Would like something larger but the 9.1 is a bit much for us to handle due to physical limitations. Aging is not for sissies.

On 11/8/2018 at 3:29 PM, jackolantern said:

On 11/7/2018 at 5:34 PM, rhpaw said:

congrats. pretty boat.

What's going on with the rub strip on the rear quarter? is it like that on the other side too?

It's on the list

On 11/7/2018 at 5:34 PM, rhpaw said:

congrats. pretty boat.

No 

It's on the list

On 11/8/2018 at 3:29 PM, jackolantern said:

I'll be racing in Casco Bay. Come on up anytime.

I sailed an 1980 8.0B in the Apostle Islands for the last 3 years.  I wouldn't call her a fast boat, but for a 4600 lb 26 footer that can be legally trailered without an oversized load permit , 5'8" of headroom, and an enclosed head, she sure was an easy and comfortable cruiser.  Enough so that I was able to convince my wife cruising was a great way to spend our free time, and she approved the idea of a bigger boat :P .   

I think S2's build quality is above average for boats in this price range.  

Calling all S2 Boats- 
especially 9.1s, 9.2s , 7.9s. 6.7s. 

An S2 One Last Time International Regatta is confirmed for August 14-16th at South Shore Yacht Club in Milwaukee Wisconsin. 

We have several S2 9.1s interested. 

Several S2 9.2 boats have expressed interest (JAM race) If we have at least 5 boats. 

S2 7.9s would you be interested? We would need at least 5 boats to have a race. 

S2 6.7s are you interested? 

Other S2 boats are welcome to attend even if not racing. Join us for the fun and comradery. 

It will be held in conjunction with a Catalina 30 regatta and SSYC annual corn roast on Saturday night which is a great time and a band for live music. 

NOR will be coming out around first week of February. 

If you would like to attend please email Cyndi McKesson Maehl at s2regatta2020@gmail.com with  your name, e-mail address, name of boat , type of S2 and contact phone number.

4 hours ago, mckesscl said:

Calling all S2 Boats- 

An S2 One Last Time International Regatta is confirmed for August 14-16th at South Shore Yacht Club in Milwaukee Wisconsin. 

Several S2 9.2 boats have expressed interest (JAM race) If we have at least 5 boats. 

Other S2 boats are welcome to attend even if not racing. Join us for the fun and comradery. 

It will be held in conjunction with a Catalina 30 regatta and SSYC annual corn roast on Saturday night which is a great time and a band for live music. 

If you would like to attend please email Cyndi McKesson Maehl at s2regatta2020@gmail.com with  your name, e-mail address, name of boat , type of S2 and contact phone number.

FYI, in case you didn’t know, the S2 7.9 class championships are across the lake at Macatawa Bay YC August 27-30.  Could have an impact, positive or negative, on 7.9 turnout at your event.

17 hours ago, mckesscl said:

Calling all S2 Boats- 

13 hours ago, jerseyguy said:

FYI, in case you didn’t know, the S2 7.9 class championships are across the lake at Macatawa Bay YC August 27-30.  Could have an impact, positive or negative, on 7.9 turnout at your event.

Being in Chicago I had considered going up to S2-fest with my 7.9, but with Nationals following shortly after, i'm going to pass.

We have four 7.9’s (that I know of) in the Choctawhatchee.  Heres two at our club. Nearest is ours. 

754FE1F1-28D4-494A-B1AC-823550A3724D.jpeg