• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Point Break

18,000 Posts

14 years to get 18,000 posts. Not exactly an obsession but still a pretty big waste of time.....or so says Mrs PB. Hard to argue. So passes a dubious milestone.

How else is your time supposed to be spent? Always in pursuit of money? Always doing something to improve your house? Always doing something to serve your wife?

There are some aspects of online activity that are a waste of time, or otherwise really negative.

People do need to socialize, some do it in a bar, some do it elsewhere, some get beneficial socialization here.

I stay in the shadows mostly, but for me this place generally works in a couple of ways. I learn a lot about things I never knew about, or otherwise never considered. I try to avoid those who are negative and/or nasty.

I count your posts as being very responsible and beneficial. I really appreciate the contribution you make here. My world isn't so bright these days, and seeing you and others do and say the things do in this place helps get me through the day a little bit easier.

Please tell your wife that your contributions here matter more than she knows.

Kind words.

My world has shrunk to pretty small right now as well so I can empathize with your plight. My comment about Mrs PB's view is pretty much tongue-in-cheek......mostly. :lol:

Since leaving PA behind it is much better........

You should have held off on all that remodel work to your house while you were still working!

Though if you had we here would be lesser for it.

Just now, hobot said:

You should have held off on all that remodel work to your house while you were still working!

Though if you had we here would be lesser for it.

Thanks......I'd love to get back to some of that soon. Making sawdust is hugely therapeutic. I still have some cabinets and a wall in the sunroom and then a fireplace mantle in the dining room. Oh....and a couple cabinets to finish the master bath as well. 

Soon.....hopefully soon.......

A man with the gift of the gab! You are appreciated, especially for your kindnesses and your stories.

My gab is less than half my member views. Not sure what to think of that.

Funny, I have been here just over 9 years, and also just hit 18k; dunno if that's bad or not?  Wife does comment on it once in a while, but I just compare it to her watching Big Bang Theory. Hers is one sided entertainment, while this entails some give and take...

38 minutes ago, Innocent Bystander said:

Well, the could be worse like a few others, you may have slid into the abyss of PA. 

Long ago it was interesting. Now it isn't. It's completely dominated by a handful of people who simply go there to insult one another and anybody who offers an alternate view than their own. When I realized I wouldn't spend any real life time with folks who exhibit those behaviors, I thought why spend any on-line time with them either? Best thing I ever did was stop wandering in there.

Hey PB, you help me to help others when you write stuff like this:

"if you're scratching your head about your life and whether you're happy with it, you might try concentrating on helping others for a bit. When you're focused external to yourself and your goal is to simply be kind to and help someone who needs it, it's amazing how much that can elevate the quality and meaning of your own life. It's also amazing how that process and attitude positively impacts how others view you as a possible friend or significant person in their life.
Doesn't hurt to stop drinking and stop doing drugs for a while either. Hard to have clarity on those rather profound life questions when you don't have........clarity."
Anarchist "Point Break" 30 Mar 2015

I have that quote on a handout at a charity group I volunteer with - Tell Mrs PB that one ! - looking forward to your 20,000th post.

ML

Wfd PB

and well said sunseeker. You nailed it.

This place IS my corner bar where everybody knows my fake name.

I, and I'm sure many other here consider PB a good friend

even though we couldn't pick him out of a police line-up.

Carry on, Johnny Smoke B)

• 18,013 posts
  • get a life B)

Hmmmm. 11 years and 4452 posts for me. But I have only been retired for a year. I second the opinions here on your contributions (I would have said it sooner but I was in the boatyard!)

You have demonstrated a mostly consistent and moderate opinion here and its a much needed perspective. I attribute it to years of hard work by Mrs PB in making you "more refined"

;)

WL

Well this was quite unexpected. I don't know what to say except....thanks for the kind words. Upon reflection I guess it is sort of a corner bar full of characters..........

thanks

All well deserved.

I've thought this place the corner pub since the beginning. My first thread was to invite everyone to join me for a drink. I seem to remember BJ and Evo giving me an internet bash over the head.

2 hours ago, ease the sheet said:

You are missed in pa. And so is Mr bystander.

However, a kinder, gentler audience is much more deserving of your wisdom.

You're a tougher man than I am to stay in there Mr Sheet........be careful in there......;)

PA ?????

2 hours ago, Point Break said:

You're a tougher man than I am to stay in there Mr Sheet........be careful in there......;)

I prefer less mature. Tougher ain't accurate, you won't see me walking towards a fire.

Well, not unless I really have to....

On 23/05/2017 at 3:45 PM, Point Break said:

14 years to get 18,000 posts. Not exactly an obsession but still a pretty big waste of time.....or so says Mrs PB. Hard to argue. So passes a dubious milestone.

Almost 12 years and not far behind you PB

5 hours ago, Point Break said:

You can run but you cannot hide.  :ph34r:

50 minutes ago, Mike in Seattle said:

sheesh,  now I feel inadequate

Dec '03 and less than 3k

Lurker! :)

On 5/24/2017 at 0:18 AM, Point Break said:

Long ago it was interesting. Now it isn't. It's completely dominated by a handful of people who simply go there to insult one another and anybody who offers an alternate view than their own. When I realized I wouldn't spend any real life time with folks who exhibit those behaviors, I thought why spend any on-line time with them either? Best thing I ever did was stop wandering in there.

I've been pulling back slightly from PA as well.  It's all trump all the time.  Its a feeding frenzy over there and I'm happy to let the children scratch each other's eyes out over that abortion of a president.  Been tempted to quit cold turkey, but just can't do it yet.  Do they make a patch?

Anyway, happy 18K.  

5 minutes ago, Sportboat Jeff said:

I've been pulling back slightly from PA as well.  It's all trump all the time.  Its a feeding frenzy over there and I'm happy to let the children scratch each other's eyes out over that abortion of a president.  Been tempted to quit cold turkey, but just can't do it yet.  Do they make a patch?

Anyway, happy 18K.  

When I realized 3/4 of the exchanges were "you're a poop" "oh yeah, well your mom is a poop" "oh yeah well you're a homo poop"............I decided my time was more valuable than sitting at the Jr High lunch table. It was amazingly easy. Pretty interesting people in here.

2 minutes ago, Point Break said:
11 minutes ago, Sportboat Jeff said:

Anyway, happy 18K.  

When I realized 3/4 of the exchanges were "you're a poop" "oh yeah, well your mom is a poop" "oh yeah well you're a homo poop"............I decided my time was more valuable than sitting at the Jr High lunch table. It was amazingly easy. Pretty interesting people in here.

There are actually some pretty interesting people in PA as well.  The main difference is you have to get through a wall of shit to find the pony.  The S/N ratio is obviously much higher, but there are some gems if you can wade through the stink at times.  

1 hour ago, Sportboat Jeff said:

There are actually some pretty interesting people in PA as well.  The main difference is you have to get through a wall of shit to find the pony.  The S/N ratio is obviously much higher, but there are some gems if you can wade through the stink at times.  

Were some interesting and valuable folks and still a few but the S/N is much lower and those who used to be high value have either sunk into the abyss or no longer bother.

Unfortunately, I see some moving out or PA to try to be cute in other forums.  My posting across the entire board is way down due to that.  More things on my mind and other places, "self moderated" with a bit of mutual respect to debate health care, politics, etc.  plenty of interesting things still in GA, SA, CA and Fix it/Gear but I'm a lot pickerier about engaging.

20 minutes ago, Innocent Bystander said:

Were some interesting and valuable folks and still a few but the S/N is much lower and those who used to be high value have either sunk into the abyss or no longer bother.

Unfortunately, I see some moving out or PA to try to be cute in other forums.  My posting across the entire board is way down due to that.  More things on my mind and other places, "self moderated" with a bit of mutual respect to debate health care, politics, etc.  plenty of interesting things still in GA, SA, CA and Fix it/Gear but I'm a lot pickerier about engaging.

^This