• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
parclan

Exhaust leak

I have an exhaust leak somewhere and I cannot find the bloody thing! The leak began after my mechanic removed and then reinstalled the freshly rebuilt injectors. There was not a leak before that. I have since replaced the hose from the engine (Volvo Penta 2003b) to the muffler thing because it had an obvious bulge in the bottom and it was at least 25 years old. The rest of the hose from there to the transom is semi-buried behind the diesel tank and impossible to get at.

It only fills the aft cabin with toxic deadly fumes when I run the engine....

any ideas?

A good idea would be to stay out of the aft cabin when the engine is running.  Is there a crank case evac hose the mechanic might have forgotten to hook up?

We recently got a leak at the gasket between the exhaust manifold and the water injection elbow.  No obvious reason. Just a tired gasket.  Look at all the joints.

Blitz, nope to the crankcase hose. I mean, the amount of exhaust is bad. We motored around the marina tonight to back her in stern first and the stink was really bad - even with the ports open and fans on. Bad! 

I know this is not a sexy topic, but help a sailor  brother out. We are (literally, if it ain't fixed) dead in the water...

Start from the cylinder head and work your way back.  Where the access is hard to get to use mirrors or a bore scope, just got to be creative. Theres really no tricks.   As bad as it is leaking you should be able to hear or feel the leak.  Probably should change the inaccesible hose if the other one was soft.

Wet exhaust, I presume?  Is there a bleed hose /siphon break in the line possibly plugged?  Is it a plastic or metal waterlift muffler. a s,all crack will "breathe" out a bit of exhaust, more if you are reversing and putting more "back pressure" into the muffler to through hull line. 

If it's coming from the wet side, you should see evidence using the mirror, borescope option. 

if all else fails, soapy water in a spray bottle... douse all the hoses with the motor running. Wear a respirator or have a spotter watch from topsides to make sure you stay awake.