• Announcements

    • Zapata

      Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

      Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Recommended Posts

I think Ken was on the verge of calling SBTJ a poodle and then remembered who is writing his paycheck 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kiwi says, "Oracle will, 'lose' to Japan" a few minutes ago. I won't count SBTJ out, not by a long shot. They have the same warrior spirit that LE does. This'll be a Hikari v. Musashi match-up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ezyb said:

I think Ken was on the verge of calling SBTJ a poodle and then remembered who is writing his paycheck 

^^^Agreed

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quite frustrating for those of us who can't watch live, who rely on the NZ Herald live feed, only to have it fed by sailing "expert" Rattue!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Indio said:

I hope ETNZ were racing well within themselves - most of the upwind legs, they were consistently 3-4 knots slower than OR-JPN.

I'm guessing you're looking at straight line speed, not VMG. Have faith!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NZL5 said:

Quite frustrating for those of us who can't watch live, who rely on the NZ Herald live feed, only to have it fed by sailing "expert" Rattue!!!

This is working well:
live.robinwidget.org/streamvideo8/sailing-vs-35th-americas-cup-2017-live-stream-1845137.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NZL5 said:

Quite frustrating for those of us who can't watch live, who rely on the NZ Herald live feed, only to have it fed by sailing "expert" Rattue!!!

Aw, be nice. He's doing a lot better than anyone on the @americascup feed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

This is working well:
live.robinwidget.org/streamvideo8/sailing-vs-35th-americas-cup-2017-live-stream-1845137.html

Thankyou.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NZL5 said:

Thank you! I presume the registratin does not ask for credit cards?

No - I signed up yesterday and had no issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What the hell happened to STJ? Camera cut off them for a couple minutes and they lost like 700 more meters. What the fuck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MalahideGreener said:

No - I signed up yesterday and had no issues.

I was never asked to provide any details. May be Adbloch preventing the questionnaire?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Rennmaus said:

I was never asked to provide any details. May be Adbloch preventing the questionnaire?

Well played sir! Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, NZL5 said:

Quite frustrating for those of us who can't watch live, who rely on the NZ Herald live feed, only to have it fed by sailing "expert" Rattue!!!

Can't you watch in on live streaming through vipbox or cricfree?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, chocoa said:

like ken read said ETNZ had the speed burning on that second leg-biggest story so far

yep

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MalahideGreener said:

No - I signed up yesterday and had no issues.

don't sign up for anything-works without

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jawjaw said:

What the hell happened to STJ? Camera cut off them for a couple minutes and they lost like 700 more meters. What the fuck.

Barker-san got the smoke signal from Larry-san

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SloopJohnB said:

Dickson crash out of the indy 500:angry:

Bummer!! A "love tap" from another driver??:o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At the end of the second day, it looks like the previous favorites, OR, ETNZ, and Artemis are the class of the fleet. BAR seems like they need some change in attitude or approach to life before they can be in the top tier. TJ is great, for a poodle. Groupama is lucky to be on the course with the rest, and have some flashes of brilliance, due to the brilliance of their sailors, but to be consistent, you need to prepare and practice much more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pistol Pete's redemption right here....

Nothing wrong with ETNZ's boat speed today. Major fuck-up at the start though. Must do better.

Screen Shot 2017-05-29 at 7.25.52 AM.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, nroose said:

At the end of the second day, it looks like the previous favorites, OR, ETNZ, and Artemis are the class of the fleet. BAR seems like they need some change in attitude or approach to life before they can be in the top tier. TJ is great, for a poodle. Groupama is lucky to be on the course with the rest, and have some flashes of brilliance, due to the brilliance of their sailors, but to be consistent, you need to prepare and practice much more.

Agree. Mostly. I'm into the saké now....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sailbydate said:

Pistol Pete's redemption right here....

Nothing wrong with ETNZ's boat speed today. Major fuck-up at the start though. Must do better.

Screen Shot 2017-05-29 at 7.25.52 AM.png

I'm wondering whether they wanted to reveal that speed at this early stage, but I'm guessing the penalty forced their hand. OR-Xerox would have duly noted it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Pistol Pete's redemption right here....

Nothing wrong with ETNZ's boat speed today. Major fuck-up at the start though. Must do better.

Screen Shot 2017-05-29 at 7.25.52 AM.png

 

I keep thinking they were early because they were faster than they thought they were...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

This is working well:
live.robinwidget.org/streamvideo8/sailing-vs-35th-americas-cup-2017-live-stream-1845137.html

Brilliant....Ta.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was a brief shot of Burling looking at the wheel and perhaps checking on the buttons just as they went over the line - that might have been the distraction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dead air said:

So according to the results table, SBTJ are currently in the elimination spot......

...and will need to beat FR tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watching at AC villiage. Racing is tight. Winds are shifty and have lulls. Foil selection very impprtant today. IMG_3930.JPG.d9c7130db9b2c64cbfab9587974440f4.JPGIMG_3912.JPG.c06bb98b5c3d217346ae882bf5d681bc.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dead air said:

Fr get to face BAR in the first race as well, wonder if Benny's boat will hold together

This is my thinking, too, especially since les Français ont jeté le chat aux pigeons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe that's the way to sail vs Ben? Give him a penalty so he stays away and just burn him with speed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The winner of the Round Robins is in the balance now. OR-Xerox have 5 races left. while ETNZ and ART have 6 each. If ETNZ wins all of their races and OR-Xerox wins 4 of their 5, they'll both end up on 9 points each. WHich I think brings in the ACWS finishing order as the tie-breaker, rather than a sail-off. Which is BS, considering OR-Xerox will win and take the bonus point into the Match.

Come on ART -do the decent thing and beat OR-Xerox again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Indio

But the bonus point is little use it is not a race win like here?

That is Stingers version anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't believe how much trouble Japan had staying on the foils.

They look to have had on their high wind foils. Wrong foil selection maybe???? But that should be somewhere in/near their crossover which suggests something uglier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The bonus point counts as a point just like any race win. If two teams end up tied on points, then ACWS standings also act as a tiebreaker. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Barnyb said:

Good day for me

TNZ 2 from 2

Ferrari 1 2 at Monaco

and its not even 8am

+1000

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jawjaw said:

The bonus point counts as a point just like any race win. If two teams end up tied on points, then ACWS standings also act as a tiebreaker. 

So Oracle if Oracle win this they get a race win in the America's Cup !!??

Stingers said the winner has to win 9 races and the bonus only sorts out a tie ??

Which is true Please?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Kiwing said:

So Oracle if Oracle win this they get a race win in the America's Cup !!??

Stingers said the winner has to win 9 races and the bonus only sorts out a tie ??

Which is true Please?

The AC match is first to 7. If the team that wins the round robins makes it to the AC, then the other AC team starts on -1. So if Oracle win the round robin, they still need to win 7 AC races to win it, while the other team would need 8.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jawjaw said:

The AC match is first to 7. If the team that wins the round robins makes it to the AC, then the other AC team starts on -1. So if Oracle win the round robin, they still need to win 7 AC races to win it, while the other team would need 8.

Go Oracle Team USA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Kiwing said:

@Indio

But the bonus point is little use it is not a race win like here?

That is Stingers version anyway.

I may have been wrong about those points being 'only used as tiebreakers'; or may have been only partially correct.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So there is some Zip in the Qualifier series after all and Jimmy's bullshit call at mark 6 may cost NZ a race WOW!!!???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am sure wussel has been taking lessons from trump on this point system. WTF!

The defender being able to enter is scandleous    obscene.

Heads I win tails you lose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, jawjaw said:

The AC match is first to 7. If the team that wins the round robins makes it to the AC, then the other AC team starts on -1. So if Oracle win the round robin, they still need to win 7 AC races to win it, while the other team would need 8.

My understanding too but the RR results don't show in-coming ACWS points that way, or make that nuance obvious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have to think Oracle are pretty big favourites to get that extra point now, too.

If they win 5/5 they get it.

If they win 4/5 they get it unless BAR wins 6/6.

If they win 3/5 they get it unless BAR wins 5/6 or NZ wins 6/6.

An upset and some NZ dominance could do it, but they've gotta think they have a great chance still.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jawjaw said:

Have to think Oracle are pretty big favourites to get that extra point now, too.

If they win 5/5 they get it.

If they win 4/5 they get it unless BAR wins 6/6.

If they win 3/5 they get it unless BAR wins 5/6 or NZ wins 6/6.

An upset and some NZ dominance could do it, but they've gotta think they have a great chance still.

Can the Swedes beat NZ? They beat Oracle today and it will be more breezy tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BAR have been shown today to have no boat speed. they may take a few more races but are not in the same league as OR and TNZ. Still undecided about ART

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Alinghi4ever said:

BTW, so much for TJ been OTUSA's silbling. They're clearly not. The Americans are miles faster than the Japanese.

And OR set out to prove their superiority, emphatically. Despite the precarious position TJ is in, OR went out and killed 'em.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ~Stingray~ said:

And OR set out to prove their superiority, emphatically. Despite the precarious position TJ is in, OR killed 'em.

The next two Days (Monday & Tuesday) could be quite breezy compared to Saturday & today. Wonder if we see any Breakdowns. I think ART is a Team to watch when it gets more windy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ~Stingray~ said:

And OR set out to prove their superiority, emphatically. Despite the precarious position TJ is in, OR went out and killed 'em.

That's only partially true. They are more like regular siblings or even fraternal twins rather than identical twins.

They forked from each other quite some time ago, so Oracle will have used superior background and greater resources to advance further but I can't help but feel a lot (perhaps 50%) of what we saw today was piss poor boat handling on Japan's part.

Struggling to foil in those winds was just shocking. They went from close to being a speck on the horizon in absolutely no time at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, true to my prediction ABSOLUTELY EVERYONE in my office is talking about the America's Cup. EVERYONE.

And my work has Sky TV with a 12 foot projection screen so I think I will be coming to work a couple of hours early for the next few weeks :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Kiwing said:

@Indio

But the bonus point is little use it is not a race win like here?

That is Stingers version anyway.

 

27 minutes ago, Kiwing said:

So Oracle if Oracle win this they get a race win in the America's Cup !!??

Stingers said the winner has to win 9 races and the bonus only sorts out a tie ??

Which is true Please?

If OR-Xerox wins the Round Robins, their bonus point effectively means they start the Match 1-up on the Challenger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Indio said:

 

If OR-Xerox wins the Round Robins, their bonus point effectively means they start the Match 1-up on the Challenger.

But they still have to win 7 races not 6.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ~Stingray~ said:

But they still have to win 7 races not 6.

It's the first to 7 points...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Alinghi4ever said:

BTW, so much for TJ been OTUSA's silbling. They're clearly not. The Americans are miles faster than the Japanese.

Agreed. But try telling that to @Indio

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Barnyb said:

BAR have been shown today to have no boat speed. they may take a few more races but are not in the same league as OR and TNZ. Still undecided about ART

Ainslie said that it was Crew-handling errors/mistakes that cost them not boatspeed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Alinghi4ever said:

Can the Swedes beat NZ? They beat Oracle today and it will be more breezy tomorrow.

The best they can do is 8 points, if they win all 6 of their remaining races. They'd need Oracle to win at most 2 out of 5 races so that they end on 7 or less. They'd also need NZ and GBR to win at most 4 races each. The combination seems unlikely to me, but not implausible.

Edit: sorry, I thought you asked if the Swedes could finish top. Yes, I think the Swedes could beat NZ, especially given their result against OR.

28 minutes ago, Barnyb said:

BAR have been shown today to have no boat speed. they may take a few more races but are not in the same league as OR and TNZ. Still undecided about ART

Yeah, I think BAR are probably just about out of the hunt for that top spot. If they beat GTF tomorrow, they'd only need to win 1 more than Oracle over the final RR, but they just don't seem capable of that. I really think their win over Artemis is best understood as Artemis underperforming than BAR having improved that much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Indio said:

It's the first to 7 points...

Yes but the RR winner doesn't start with 1 point, their opponent starts with -1. So to win they'd still have to win 7 races. The advantage is that their opponent would have to win 8.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 33jesus said:

Agreed. But try telling that to @Indio

Oracle looking really good I think. Ya can't win them all and Jimmy would be the first one to say that. ART sailed a really good Race so you take your hat off and say: Well done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Indio said:

It's the first to 7 points...

Yes, but I think you start at zero even if your opponent starts at (effectively) -1. The Match could therefore conceivably go to 14 races, 7(+1) + 6.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For ETNZ to win the Round Robins, they'd have to win all their remaining races including beating OR-Xerox in Race 12, and then rely on ART doing the deed on OR-Xerox again in Race 9. Every other permutation must be considered long shots.

Can ART go 2-Zip against OR-Xerox? I'm hoping so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Indio said:

For ETNZ to win the Round Robins, they'd have to win all their remaining races including beating OR-Xerox in Race 12, and then rely on ART doing the deed on OR-Xerox again in Race 9. Every other permutation must be considered long shots.

Can ART go 2-Zip against OR-Xerox? I'm hoping so.

How about ART beating ETNZ tomorrow?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ~Stingray~ said:

Yes, but I think you start at zero even if your opponent starts at (effectively) -1. The Match could therefore conceivably go to 14 races, 7(+1) + 6.

I suppose theoretically OR-Xerox could get to 6 points (+ their bonus point) = 7, and the Challenger can get to 7 points as well. Possible though improbable..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Indio said:

I suppose theoretically OR-Xerox could get to 6 points (+ their bonus point) = 7, and the Challenger can get to 7 points as well. Possible though improbable..

That couldn't happen. As soon as one of them got to 7, why would they race again? It's first to 7 points.

Again, OR can't start the AC with a bonus point. If they win the RRs, their opponent would start with -1 bonus point. So if it ends 7-6, and one of them started on -1, that means they would've raced 14 times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We went through all this shite about bonus points last time, please let it go or it will just become tedious (like last time) and some of you will just prove you left school to early.

I know that Oracle claim the bonus points are all about trying to make the crap like ACWS and this qualifying regatta mean something and teams have to take them seriously. At the same time the whole idea of starting points down was only created as a punishment for Oracle either knowingly or having such bad management in place that cheating took place. If I wanted to get the world to look away from this past event, then making the start from behind the norm would be a perfect way to do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, enigmatically said:

I think damage or a collision could still mix this up somewhat. Which is why anyone suggesting any team is still sandbagging is mistaken IMO.

 

 

Good point

 

ETNZ looking like the strongest challenger IMO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, jawjaw said:

That couldn't happen. As soon as one of them got to 7, why would they race again? It's first to 7 points.

Again, OR can't start the AC with a bonus point. If they win the RRs, their opponent would start with -1 bonus point. So if it ends 7-6, and one of them started on -1, that means they would've raced 14 times.

OR (or whoever wins the qualifiers) take a one point start into the AC....if they win another 6 races they win the AC...the challenger would need to win 7 races.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No body is starting on minus one race for fuck sake....it is a bonus point to the winner not a negative point to whoever has to race...the shot about winning 7 races doesn't consider the bonus point...that's why some of you muppets are getting confused...but in reality is pretty fucking simple...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, **ONTOIT** said:

OR (or whoever wins the qualifiers) take a one point start into the AC....if they win another 6 races they win the AC...the challenger would need to win 7 races.

 

2 minutes ago, **ONTOIT** said:

No body is starting on minus one race for fuck sake....it is a bonus point to the winner not a negative point to whoever has to race...the shot about winning 7 races doesn't consider the bonus point...that's why some of you muppets are getting confused...but in reality is pretty fucking simple...

You're right about exactly one thing. It is pretty fucking simple.

From the protocol:

Quote

29.1. Overview: The Match shall include the following agreed principles:

(a) the winner of each race scores one (1) point, the loser scores no

points;

(b) if the winner of the America’s Cup Qualifiers is a Competitor in the

Match, the Competitor that did not win the America’s Cup Qualifiers

shall start the Match with a score of minus one (-1) point;

(c) the winner of the Match will be the first Competitor to score at

least seven (7) points after applying any penalties;

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, enigmatically said:

I think damage or a collision could still mix this up somewhat. Which is why anyone suggesting any team is still sandbagging is mistaken IMO.

 

 

Race-ending collision damage is for sure a possibility but even stronger a possibility (based on the practice racing record) is reliability issues ending a boat's day. Surprisingly, neither has happened through all the  real races so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Gissie said:

We went through all this shite about bonus points last time, please let it go or it will just become tedious (like last time) and some of you will just prove you left school to early.

I know that Oracle claim the bonus points are all about trying to make the crap like ACWS and this qualifying regatta mean something and teams have to take them seriously. At the same time the whole idea of starting points down was only created as a punishment for Oracle either knowingly or having such bad management in place that cheating took place. If I wanted to get the world to look away from this past event, then making the start from behind the norm would be a perfect way to do it.

Let it go? Are you new here or suffered amnesia? Tedious is what we do. That and yellow lines.

We've still got peeps on here bleating about "The Love Bug" :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jaysper said:

Let it go? Are you new here or suffered amnesia? Tedious is what we do. That and yellow lines.

We've still got peeps on here bleating about "The Love Bug" :D

So jaysper: Are you still convinced about an ETNZ v SBTJ Challenger Final? Today despite ART losing to France I'm pretty convinced about ETNZ vs ART Final. Each of the two boats will have their own strength and weaknesses. I think ART will be stronger in the breeze and weaker in the light wind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(b) if the winner of the America’s Cup Qualifiers is a Competitor in the

Match, the Competitor that did not win the America’s Cup Qualifiers

shall start the Match with a score of minus one (-1) point;

This doesn't make any fucking sense!! Why would the competitor who did not win the LV-AC Qualifiers get into the Match?? The Challenger has to have won the Qualifiers to...QUALIFY to be the Challenger!!

EDIT: Amendment 6.61 corrects the language...

6.1 Article 29.1(b) of the Protocol shall be amended as follows:
“(b) if the winner of the America’s Cup Qualifiers is a Competitor in the Match, it the Competitor that did not win the America’s Cup Qualifiers shall start the Match with a score of minus one (-1) point;”

BUT, here's a potential, theoretically possible situation:

OR-Xerox wins the first 6 races = 6 points

The Challenger starting at -1 point wins 7 races, minus their handicap = 6 points.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Indio said:

BUT, here's a potential, theoretically possible situation:

OR-Xrox wins the first 6 races = 6 points

The Challenger starting at -1 point wins 7 races, minus their handicap = 6 points.

Yes, that's exactly the situation Stingray was talking about (and that I mentioned a few days ago) in which they'd need to go to a 14th race, which is currently unscheduled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Indio said:

This doesn't make any fucking sense!! Why would the competitor who did not win the LV-AC Qualifiers get into the Match?? The Challenger has to have won the Qualifiers to...QUALIFY to be the Challenger!!

The "America's Cup Qualifiers" refers to the double round robin they're racing now.

The challenger is the team that wins the "America's Cup Challenger Playoffs", which is different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Alinghi4ever said:

So jaysper: Are you still convinced about an ETNZ v SBTJ Challenger Final? Today despite ART losing to France I'm pretty convinced about ETNZ vs ART Final. Each of the two boats will have their own strength and weaknesses. I think ART will be stronger in the breeze and weaker in the light wind.

I'm as close to 100% as I can be that ETNZ will be the actual challenger.

A little less convinced that they will face Japan after today's woeful attempt against Orifice, but I'm not one to chop and change and so if I'm wrong about Japan its all good - I can take the heat :P.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quote:OR-Xerox wins the first 6 races = 6 points

The Challenger starting at -1 point wins 7 races, minus their handicap = 6 points.

 

Completely ridiculous. A team would win 7 races, the defender 6, and he will not win the cup? Not even a 4 year old child would make sucha a thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jaysper said:

I'm as close to 100% as I can be that ETNZ will be the actual challenger.

A little less convinced that they will face Japan after today's woeful attempt against Orifice, but I'm not one to chop and change and so if I'm wrong about Japan its all good - I can take the heat :P.

I don't know. I think they look the best, but all it takes is for Artemis to beat them tomorrow and they'd be all tied up, with ETNZ looking more consistent, but Artemis better when they're good (beating Oracle and NZ) and worse when they're bad (losing to France). BAR and STJ starting to look a step behind so far, but there's still a lot to come, I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jawjaw said:

The "America's Cup Qualifiers" refers to the double round robin they're racing now.

The challenger is the team that wins the "America's Cup Challenger Playoffs", which is different.

Got ya' :P. These 4-am Irish coffees  tend to add up very quickly with top-ups after every race. More manageable with only 3 races in the next few days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, webdeveloper said:

The American guy just said the boats have more of a nose-down attitude than in the past, something I noticed. Why is that? Is it faster? Or a quirk of the rules? Surely a nose-down attitude has more parasite drag having the ass way up in the air?

 

2 hours ago, Captain Gal said:

I think it's how they're playing the wind, but The Prof may have the answer: “The boats are all sailing bow down in their orientation. [T]his is because it is better aerodynamically. Quite strange for traditional sailors to see, but think of race cars and their aerodynamic configuration. It might look strange on a yacht, but it is fast.” —Prof. Mark Orams, 6m ago

They tend to sail flatter upwind and more bow down downwind. Increased downwind speed generates more lift from rudder elevators 

2 hours ago, Indio said:

Barker-san got the smoke signal from Larry-san

Classic :)

1 hour ago, Alinghi4ever said:

BTW, so much for TJ been OTUSA's silbling. They're clearly not. The Americans are miles faster than the Japanese.

The Japs spent extended time off the foils.. Cost the 100's of meters

18 minutes ago, Indio said:

(b) if the winner of the America’s Cup Qualifiers is a Competitor in the

Match, the Competitor that did not win the America’s Cup Qualifiers

shall start the Match with a score of minus one (-1) point;

This doesn't make any fucking sense!! Why would the competitor who did not win the LV-AC Qualifiers get into the Match?? The Challenger has to have won the Qualifiers to...QUALIFY to be the Challenger!!

EDIT: Amendment 6.61 corrects the language...

6.1 Article 29.1(b) of the Protocol shall be amended as follows:
“(b) if the winner of the America’s Cup Qualifiers is a Competitor in the Match, it the Competitor that did not win the America’s Cup Qualifiers shall start the Match with a score of minus one (-1) point;”

BUT, here's a potential, theoretically possible situation:

OR-Xrox wins the first 6 races = 6 points

The Challenger starting at -1 point wins 7 races, minus their handicap = 6 points.

That's because "Qualifiers" are only RR Races, not LV

The top "Qualifier" Challenger, will not necessarily be in America's Cup. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ETNZ's burst of speed in Leg-1 to haul in BAR and discharge their penalty was a significant revelation which I suspect they had not intended to reveal at this early stage but were forced to because of Burling's distraction which caused the early entry penalty. I think all the other teams now realise that ETNZ has serious speed which they've managed to hide since their arrival in BDA. I thought we saw a bit of it in the loss to OR-Xerox when they accelerated to over42-knts in the sprint to the finish line, before they suddenly backed off the throttle..

I feel quietly confident that ETNZ will use their speed as their get-out-of-jail card next time Burling fucks up, and win all their remaining 6 races.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, jawjaw said:

I don't know. I think they look the best, but all it takes is for Artemis to beat them tomorrow and they'd be all tied up, with ETNZ looking more consistent, but Artemis better when they're good (beating Oracle and NZ) and worse when they're bad (losing to Fr