zillafreak

Live Racing Thread

2 minutes ago, Alpinefolk said:

Etnz is faster upwind than bar downwind at times.

I noticed that too foe speed across water at least.

Wonder about vmg :D

Thats actually pretty good of BAR to retire though, it gives enough time for the other races.

BAR had broken button?

Just now, Barnyb said:

Retiring from race?

or regatta?

It's over. Mercifully.png

That was poor form on Bar trying to get a penalty on ETNZ when they are on a different leg behind.

Easy call for Ben to make. Nothing to gain carrying on when he's comfortably into the semis, with another race to come.

1 minute ago, webdeveloper said:

Success has a thousand fathers...

Maersk has been the ETNZ logistics partner for ages

Just now, chocoa said:

That was poor form on Bar trying to get a penalty on ETNZ when they are on a different leg behind.

Desperation tactics, m'boy. Desperation.

Proper sportsman in that act. Cheers to BAR. Tough break.

Do Oracle throw this to put SBTJ in the safety zone or do they want the bonus point more?

In the UK one of BAR sponsors adverts has just been on.

Tag line 'The ability to make the right call at the right time',

clearly not the right time to show that advert.

Bye, bye, Ben.

4 minutes ago, **ONTOIT** said:

Another new sponsor for ETNZ (Mearsk)????

Maersk has been a sponsor for ETNZ for a long time. They were onboard in SF as well.

Did you guys not hear Ainslie say 'lets go get that button fixed'?

Toying time, USA. Toying time.

4 minutes ago, chocoa said:

Why? Part of the game 

2 minutes ago, lurker54 said:

Maersk has been a sponsor for ETNZ for a long time. They were onboard in SF as well.

Thought so, just never seen their logo on the boat..

2 minutes ago, ezyb said:

Do Oracle throw this to put SBTJ in the safety zone or do they want the bonus point more?

Oracle losing leaves them tied with ETNZ and at risk of losing that AC point. Zero chance they throw it.

Just now, jaysper said:

Why? Part of the game 

He could of hit ETNZ 

Just now, chocoa said:

He could of hit ETNZ 

There's a difference between going for a penalty and hitting.

Just now, jawjaw said:

Oracle losing leaves them tied with ETNZ and at risk of losing that AC point. Zero chance they throw it.

Q. by scross: "Can someone with eyes there tell us how the Oracle foils look compared to TNZ today?"

A. par moi: "Sharp. Very sharp."

The v of TNZ foil allows them to have more lifting surface within the rule than a straight one and more stability, perfect for light conditions.

1 minute ago, Tornado-Cat said:

The v of TNZ foil allows them to have more lifting surface within the rule than a straight one and more stability, perfect for light conditions.

Thx for the FYI.

1 minute ago, jaysper said:

I agree completely.  BAR were quite within their rights.  It was a bit of an unforced error from Burling there allowing himself being on the same part of the racecourse.

4 minutes ago, jaysper said:

especially when you have difficulty controlling your boat like bar  have proven

Bar go for a port starboard penalty when they are a leg behind ETNZ and they retire when they are two legs behind...

8 minutes ago, dent said:

kinda feel bad for BA.  that was such an ass whipping, it's embarrassing

I've been there before, in much bigger fleets. 

6 minutes ago, Foyle said:

Did you guys not hear Ainslie say 'lets go get that button fixed'?

Yip. I also heard him say "UUURRRRGGHH!! WHAT HAPPENED! WHAT HAPPENED!"

Didn't realise that it was art 4 sb 5 and tf 6 in the acws.  The three currently at the bottom.   

Seems they're showing highlights, rather than interviewing Sir Ben, shame. :D:D:D 

Just now, Guitar said:

I've been there before, in much bigger fleets. 

+1 & NO DOUBT IT WILL HAPPEN AGAIN IN MY FUTURE..... lol

2 minutes ago, Captain Gal said:

Thx for the FYI.

A. to scross by morams, minutes ago: I will do my best on looking at the Oracle foils. To date in this regatta they have used non-matching foils. Their port foil is longer and straighter in profile (I cannot see the plan shape or cross sectional shape) and their starboard foil is shorter and more curved. To me, the port foil is stronger in higher wind speeds and downwind. The key issue here is what else they have in the shed. They may have their two additional foils totally different in shape but are not breaking them out during this qualifying series. It will be interesting to see what Oracle are using today.

Just now, Captain Gal said:

A. to scross by morams, minutes ago: I will do my best on looking at the Oracle foils. To date in this regatta they have used non-matching foils. Their port foil is longer and straighter in profile (I cannot see the plan shape or cross sectional shape) and their starboard foil is shorter and more curved. To me, the port foil is stronger in higher wind speeds and downwind. The key issue here is what else they have in the shed. They may have their two additional foils totally different in shape but are not breaking them out during this qualifying series. It will be interesting to see what Oracle are using today.

scross replies to morams, minute ago: I wonder if having a high wind foil on one side, and low wind foil on the other covers a variable wind day, just change tack?

I guess Ainsley had to ram them to get a penalty.

ETNZ tack onto port at the wrong place and time and expose themselves to a starboard tack BAR.

Burling got another gift: dead to rights on port.  BAR was on a collision course and clearly altered course to avoid well after a collision was imminent. What did he have to do? 

I don't know why the judges waved it off except that there is no respect for BAR. Or they decided that this infraction was meaningless because ETNZ was so far ahead. But that isn't a condition in the rule book.

Burling is getting away with so much, it's hard to listen to the Kiwi fans whining about how they always get screwed.

SHC

3 minutes ago, laser 173312 said:

Seems they're showing highlights, rather than interviewing Sir Ben, shame. :D:D:D 

He has to stop crying first!

3 minutes ago, Captain Gal said:

OR also has a small uptip on their light wind foils, but much smaller

1 minute ago, Steve Clark said:

ETNZ tack onto port at the wrong place and time and expose themselves to a starboard tack BAR.

Burling got another gift: dead to rights on port.  BAR was on a collision course and clearly altered course to avoid well after a collision was imminent. What did he have to do? 

I don't know why the judges waved it off except that there is no respect for BAR. Or they decided that this infraction was meaningless because ETNZ was so far ahead. But that isn't a condition in the rule book.

Burling is getting away with so much, it's hard to listen to the Kiwi fans whining about how they always get screwed.

SHC

Ben went down a few degrees after ETNZ started bearing off. That enough to be hunting and throwing away the penalty. Ben should have kept the wheel steady

1 minute ago, Steve Clark said:

SHC

I actually agree Steve, that should have been a penalty....the only thing I can think is they were so far behind it would have been meaningless, but that's still not the point and hopefully someone asks that question at the presser!

2 minutes ago, Happie Jack said:

Yes the AP lite is a great foil, very different to the also fast ETNZ AP guston set, of one set of foils (4 as per the rule) Now how can we id the AP bolt on less than 10% bits?

I think it's just 4 foils (ie 2 sets) (?)

They seem to be getting more options by changing 'tips' not the whole foil? Not sure what constitutes a 'tip' and how they can change it though.

4 minutes ago, Steve Clark said:

SHC

I think cause he did everything possible to keep clear in the end.  

The suggestion that burling is being favoured is redicuous.  Lucky maybe atm.  But as they say your make your luck.   

Just now, jaysper said:

He has to stop crying first!

Just now, **ONTOIT** said:

I actually agree Steve, that should have been a penalty....the only thing I can think is they were so far behind it would have been meaningless, but that's still not the point and hopefully someone asks that question at the presser!

not sure if that penalty would be two boat length behind or? 

Just now, chocoa said:

Kills me, Thanks, you're the third asking this. :D

1 minute ago, chocoa said:

No, you only have to fall back two boat lengths....compared to the other team.

6 minutes ago, Steve Clark said:

SHC

appreciate your perspective.  It looked like BAR had a piece of them

I reckon after JS attitude and disrespect shown to DB in the pressers this will be game on.

Just now, Qman said:

A Prestart dial down 

It's on. It's not.png

Nice one dean.   Why are or even in this race.  They never entered so it should be a DNS 

Just now, Happie Jack said:

Sayonara Jimmy!

It will still be a handling race.  I pick or to pass

4 minutes ago, Qman said:

I think cause he did everything possible to keep clear in the end.  

I wonder if they were close enough to the boundary to have water room (obstruction) and then did all they could to get out of the way.

Just now, Indio said:

There's the OR-Xerox fix 

Seems pretty dodgy

looks as if france is going home, maybe ETNZ can get that point for the finals?

Just now, chocoa said:

Or AR

You can't let jimmy get the split.  Every time that has happened in this qualifiers it has gone badly. 

I think it is a two boatlength  behind penalty, which would have meant that the race would have restarted with BAR two boat lengths ahead.

If it two lengths penalty, and would not have effected the results, it should have been called anyway. 

SHC

1 minute ago, chocoa said:

The TF v BaR race will be key!

Just now, Steve Clark said:

I think it is a two boatlength  behind penalty, which would have meant that the race would have restarted with BAR two boat lengths ahead.

If it two lengths penalty, and would not have effected the results, it should have been called anyway. 

SHC

Thanks steve