• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

1 minute ago, Hitchhiker said:

I don't know about you lot but I enjoyed Ken and Alastair.  These two are dull on NBCSN

Oh my GAWD....the non sailor talking head is PAINFUL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 minutes ago, Hitchhiker said:

I don't know about you lot but I enjoyed Ken and Alastair.  These two are dull on NBCSN

They're on my BT1 stream right now.

This would be funny if not for what happened the last time ETNZ were on match point and had a race timed out.

Isn't manually holding a sail (not using a sheet) in position an RRS violation? (Looking at you, ETNZ)

Just now, jawjaw said:

loooool PB "I didn't know there was a time limit".

He doesn't seem to know any of the rules! I would have thought they would know it all pretty well but seems they just told him to steer it quick and forget about everything else.

12 minutes ago, DevsNzL said:

they talking time limit running out.  Saying it will be cancelled, Christ I was off the belief that once the race started that was it.

Is it a strategy by ETNZ that when the other boat gets a penalty, they go slow or backwards so the other team gets an additional penalty for taking to long to pay off the original debt?

2 minutes ago, jawjaw said:

I'm honestly surprised the rules allow them to shorten the race on (what becomes) the last leg.

Yeah pretty starnge to make the current leg the last one, you would think there was a requirement for at least one more rounding when you shorten.

I'm glad it was abandoned - those conditions become a lottery - not a test of sailing skill, or even of technology - could have gone either way.

ETNZ can't move their wing! Ask them about it! Fucken useless clueless commentators!

1 minute ago, bwwooster said:

Isn't manually holding a sail (not using a sheet) in position an RRS violation? (Looking at you, ETNZ)

dunno, hang on though while I ask a windsurfer BRB

1 minute ago, SemiSalt said:

Is it a strategy by ETNZ that when the other boat gets a penalty, they go slow or backwards so the other team gets an additional penalty for taking to long to pay off the original debt?

They were in such light wind the wing wouldn't move, they were trying to work out how to trim it and spent as long as they needed because they knew Art had a penalty.

2 minutes ago, bwwooster said:

in commentary they said it's illegal to hold a sheet outboard, but it's not illegal to hold the sail outboard directly (without a sheet attached)

1 minute ago, SemiSalt said:

Not sure about that but it did look like they were taking the chance to go sideways for tactical purposes.

3 minutes ago, bwwooster said:

So which Rule would that be?

They can't get 3 races today, impossible for Artemis to win?  Or do they use tomorrow if needed?

Just now, Foyle said:

They can't get 3 races today, impossible for Artemis to win?  Or do they use tomorrow if needed?

They have until Thursday to complete the Series according to Sailing Instructions.

1 minute ago, shanghaisailor said:

So which Rule would that be?

I don't know-- one of our fleet was yelling that at us once, so...

Just now, ~HHN92~ said:

They are in the wrong spot...

Bermuda 06.12.17 1.40 pm.jpg

By about 5000 miles-- Forecast for SF Bay today:

A mix of clouds and sun with gusty winds developing this afternoon. High around 65F. W winds at 10 to 15 mph, increasing to 20 to 30 mph.

2 minutes ago, Enzedel92 said:

Not allowed per the rules.

link??

Well, look at the race, links for feeds above.
Reason was the time limit of 25 mins per race.

There is none in RRS, but there is one in Laser class rules that prohibits holding the mainsheet below aft boom blocks

3 minutes ago, bwwooster said:

Perhaps if you were sailing downwind with your torso outside the lifelines while holding a sheet. Nothing in the rules that says you can't and nothing I can find in the RRSAC V209 either

2 minutes ago, bwwooster said:

By about 5000 miles-- Forecast for SF Bay today:

A mix of clouds and sun with gusty winds developing this afternoon. High around 65F. W winds at 10 to 15 mph, increasing to 20 to 30 mph.

Absolutely correct, WTF are they doing in Bermuda.

The BT crew aren't listening or watching propery. The Tuke took the sheet off to give some rope to GA so he could tie it to the boom to try and shift the wing...

Someone needs to give Ian Percy and Nathan O rubber chickens to beat each other with for those penalties....

1 minute ago, shanghaisailor said:

Perhaps if you were sailing downwind with your torso outside the lifelines while holding a sheet. Nothing in the rules that says you can't and nothing I can find in the RRSAC V209 either

That's pretty much it exactly-- after we broke a whisker pole.

6 minutes ago, ~HHN92~ said:

They are in the wrong spot...

Bermuda 06.12.17 1.40 pm.jpg

that's just where the rain is now - they will have no wind there as soon as the rain is gone...

2017-06-12-1725_ParishRadar.png

Does anyone have access to the onboard video stream of ETNZ? Skygo is broken as per usual. 

That's pretty much it exactly-- after we broke a whisker pole.

the rule you are looking for is 49.2 but that only applies if you are on a boat with lifelines

3 minutes ago, tech said:

Someone needs to give Ian Percy and Nathan O rubber chickens to beat each other with for those penalties....

a feather is kinky, using the whole chicken on the other hand..................

How sad that young kids being interviewed have fallen for the OR-XEROX koolaid, courtesy of their parents presumably!!

1 minute ago, rh2600 said:

Where in there does it say what you're referring to?

"Q: Is there a time limit for finishing a race?
E.g. Lack of wind / or if the wind drops? If the first boat is not to the second mark in 10 minutes the race will be called off. If the first boat does not complete the race in 25 minutes the race will be called off. If the second boat does not finish within 5 minutes of the first it is regarded as a non finisher."

1 minute ago, Passinwind said:

"Q: Is there a time limit for finishing a race?
E.g. Lack of wind / or if the wind drops? If the first boat is not to the second mark in 10 minutes the race will be called off. If the first boat does not complete the race in 25 minutes the race will be called off. If the second boat does not finish within 5 minutes of the first it is regarded as a non finisher."

Sorry! I thought you were talking about Tuke holding the sheet

Guys, was I seeing things?

I'm pretty sure ETNZ lost all control of their wing after the rounded the mark and GA had to resort to pulling on a sheet.

It seems to have totally missed the post-race commentary and current coverage.

It was a get out of jail free card if thats the case, but obviously it needs to get fixed!

Hmm... ETNZ ahead but race out of time before crossing the line...  DON'T AGREE TO A LAYDAY!!!

So why didn't Ashby pump their wing as most experts were claiming they could do??

Just now, Indio said:

So why didn't Ashby pump their wing as most experts were claiming they could do??

It was broken right!?

Just now, Indio said:

There was nothing to pump it against.

after that they may ...horror of horrors  put a spare length of line onboard ???

guess it gonna be cancelled for the day

16 minutes ago, rh2600 said:

Guys, was I seeing things?

I'm pretty sure ETNZ lost all control of their wing after the rounded the mark and GA had to resort to pulling on a sheet.

It seems to have totally missed the post-race commentary and current coverage.

It was a get out of jail free card if thats the case, but obviously it needs to get fixed!

No.

Lack of wind pressure sufficient to keep the wing "popped" in correct position  He was pulling the leeward sheet to keep max camber.  Nothing to worry about for TNZL fans.

Just now, easyrider said:

No.

Lack of wind pressure sufficient to keep the wing "popped" in correct position  He was pulling the leeward sheet to keep max camber.  Nothing to worry about for TNZL fans.

But they can do whatever they want with the wing, it's hydraulically operated.

A while ago someone posted a clip of ETNZ sitting at the dock in AKL and GA was changing its position multiple times just by pressing his magic buttons. It instantly snapped to a range of configs - I'll see if I can track it down.

1 minute ago, onedesignracing said:

Having Andrew Campbell is great. Where is KR?

shagging the fat lady.....

55 minutes ago, ~HHN92~ said:

They can't, I was told...

They can't call it because of wind, but running out of time........

WetHog  :ph34r:

2kts now, 1 hour until they call it for the day

Just now, onedesignracing said:

Kristy is not fat.

the one we want to hear sing is though

6 minutes ago, rh2600 said:

But they can do whatever they want with the wing, it's hydraulically operated.

A while ago someone posted a clip of ETNZ sitting at the dock in AKL and GA was changing its position multiple times just by pressing his magic buttons. It instantly snapped to a range of configs - I'll see if I can track it down.

hmm, maybe so.

But i still think in the ultra light, he is trying to give it a little extra camber.  Perhaps beyond the settings as they have not anticipated 1-3 knots.  One reason being no one can finish a race in that light a breeze so why engineer

1 minute ago, Alinghi4ever said:

Just seeing Grant Dalton there makes me go bonkers. Horrible Person.

yep, you are right there, you are a nut job

5 minutes ago, Alinghi4ever said:

go away.................shoooo !!!

1 minute ago, kenergy said:

If it's called for the day is that it? ETNZ goes to the match?

No, per Sailing Instructions they can race until Thursday. The Challenger Playoffs have to be completed June 15th.

5 minutes ago, Alinghi4ever said:

I keep thinking you kidding because your using a Orange 45(US president) quote.