• Announcements

    • Zapata

      Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

      Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Recommended Posts

Just now, generative.design said:

Looks like OR got in over their heads on the catch-up maneuvers.. interesting they ended up basically not being able to walk and chew gum

They are in over their heads in this regatta.

TNZ boat fast by a big margin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, generative.design said:

Looks like OR got in over their heads on the catch-up maneuvers.. interesting they ended up basically not being able to walk and chew gum

Did Oracle have something to do with OS/2 Warp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, hbsurfer said:

OR was through the jibe when they died, so no way to get the foil down??  Just seemed so odd

They ran out of hydro before the gybe, then couldn't get the foil down when they needed to

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any guesses what Jimmy thought he was protesting at mark 5?

ETNZ were clear ahead & first into the zone, went round as tight as reasonable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Barnyb said:

They are in over their heads in this regatta.

TNZ boat fast by a big margin

Well let's just wait and see ok. That was as flukey as fuck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, madrat said:

Did Oracle have something to do with OS/2 Warp

Best OS ever. Don't diss it. Still have a copy here somewhere...  8-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Indio said:

Now we know why Jimminy was so subdued at the presser yesterday...

I agree 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think they just protested in hope, Now what we gonna be like in higher winds is the next test

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, hoom said:

Any guesses what Jimmy thought he was protesting at mark 5?

ETNZ were clear ahead & first into the zone, went round as tight as reasonable.

Protesting being behind? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jaysper said:

Well let's just wait and see ok. That was as flukey as fuck!

Flukey doesn't account for a lot of that. ETNZ were faster both up and down wind in these conditions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Burling playing with him now.! Jimmy will do a head gasket soon. Kiwis are faster, they sail better and Burling looks like he's in his element. If this gets out like the AC34 there's no coming back this time. If it wasn't for NZ getting out of phase and turning on the Pie Warmer that would have been embarrassing. Jimmy has used up his nine lives and Slingsby struggled. The presser will show Jimmy his usual self but today was an old fashioned spanking. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jaysper said:

Well let's just wait and see ok. That was as flukey as fuck!

Definitely, it could be completely different in 15 tks. But OTUSA has no shot in this light air. Unless they fitted the wrong foils today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Qman said:

Sooooo.  Is the weather similar tomorrow. ;-)

Oh no!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Qman said:

Sooooo.  Is the weather similar tomorrow. ;-)

Hopefully ^_^

Though I think PB will be hoping for one of those port roundings to the finish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, terrafirma said:

Burling playing with him now.! Jimmy will do a head gasket soon. Kiwis are faster, they sail better and Burling looks like he's in his element. If this gets out like the AC34 there's no coming back this time. If it wasn't for NZ getting out of phase and turning on the Pie Warmer that would have been embarrassing. Jimmy has used up his nine lives and Slingsby struggled. The presser will show Jimmy his usual self but today was an old fashioned spanking. 

A spanking for sure.  It was a rich get richer day.  But they made it happen 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ENZO THE MAL said:

wind forecast please

About 3 knots more which is <Donald Trump > Sad </Donald Trump >

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, generative.design said:

Actually, that OR gybe of death just seemed badly executed - they pulled up the other foil before the turn, ending up with both hulls in the water

They lost hydro, I think this is where the benefit of cyclors comes into it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ENZO THE MAL said:

wind forecast please

Same as today, maybe slightly higher by a knot or two

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Blaming your bad start on a software issue is not a good career move if you are on Oracle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could not be a better day for the kiwis: win both starts, faster upwind and down, massive win margins despite mistakes. Wow. OR shitting themselves right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Burling playing with him now.! Jimmy will do a head gasket soon. Kiwis are faster, they sail better and Burling looks like he's in his element. If this gets out like the AC34 there's no coming back this time. If it wasn't for NZ getting out of phase and turning on the Pie Warmer that would have been embarrassing. Jimmy has used up his nine lives and Slingsby struggled. The presser will show Jimmy his usual self but today was an old fashioned spanking. 

old fashioned spanking!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, terrafirma said:

Burling playing with him now.! Jimmy will do a head gasket soon. Kiwis are faster, they sail better and Burling looks like he's in his element. If this gets out like the AC34 there's no coming back this time. If it wasn't for NZ getting out of phase and turning on the Pie Warmer that would have been embarrassing. Jimmy has used up his nine lives and Slingsby struggled. The presser will show Jimmy his usual self but today was an old fashioned spanking. 

I can't wait to see Jimmy in the presser - he (and Slingsby) got schooled the whole way around today, in both races. Where was that best-in-the-world starter, by the way? it's 2-0 in starts so far to Burling & company.

If ETNZ had made no mistakes today, the winning margins would have been monumental (though, in these boats, that second 1:26 margin was huge).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, desprit said:

Blaming your bad start on a software issue is not a good career move if you are on Oracle. 

Pretty realistic for anyone who has ever tried to use their software.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, desprit said:

Blaming your bad start on a software issue is not a good career move if you are on Oracle. 

Was thinking the same lol

 

Quote

Pretty realistic for anyone who has ever tried to use their software.

Oooooh didn't see that one coming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, jaysper said:

Well let's just wait and see ok. That was as flukey as fuck!

Agree its a long road, and Oracle aren't out by any stretch yet.

If it was flukey, then if anything the luck fell to Oracle not to ETNZ... and it still didn't change the outcome

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, zillafreak said:

Could not be a better day for the kiwis: win both starts, faster upwind and down, massive win margins despite mistakes. Wow. OR shitting themselves right now.

leading at every mark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@generative.design +1, the drone shots were great. In fact the overall visual presentation you'd have to say was pretty impressive, aside from the odd glitch and their aversion to a VMG display.

the onboard channels (Sky NZ) are cool. Lots more talk from Ashby audible today.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DevsNzL said:

They lost hydro, I think this is where the benefit of cyclors comes into it. 

And there are really friends here that want to substitute the grinders/cyclors by electric motors/engines? They seem to make or heavily contribute to the difference. Boat building content AC, like it's supposed to be 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, laser 173312 said:

(Has to get the traditional SA greeting for that.)

 

Fuck off Newbie and show us your tits.

I've been 16 years old as well and knows how confusing it can be. Pile up with tissues and lock your door. You gona love it...

IMG_0394.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, eurochild said:

@generative.design +1, the drone shots were great. In fact the overall visual presentation you'd have to say was pretty impressive, aside from the odd glitch and their aversion to a VMG display.

the onboard channels (Sky NZ) are cool. Lots more talk from Ashby audible today.

 

Yeah, what's up with that? AC without VMG displays? That's ludicrous :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i loved hearing Spithill complaining to race management about the helicopter - it was LE's helicopter, trying to give ORUSA more breeze. ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TN_Kiwi said:

If ETNZ had made no mistakes today, the winning margins would have been monumental (though, in these boats, that second 1:26 margin was huge).  

Yeah without the big shift in the second upwind the margin in the second race would have been a number of minutes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TN_Kiwi said:

i loved hearing Spithill complaining to race management about the helicopter - it was LE's helicopter, trying to give ORUSA more breeze. ;-)

The helicopter

the software

the cards they were dealt

 

The excuses are flowing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, sparkiwi said:

My heart beats much too much At a certain tender touch, It goes boom boody-boom boody-boom boody-boom Boody-boom boody-boom boody-boom-boom-boom, Him: I like it! Her: Boom boody-boom boody-boom boody-boom Him: Well, goodness gracious me.

(Her) Ohhh Larry I'm in trouble

(Him) Well goodness gracious me

Every timer the kiwi's tack they're doubling the lead

Their boat goes much too fast its like I'm sailing in a fart

(repeat quote chorus)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ashby is one cool customer. He coached Pete and the team round the course today. Listened to ETNZ onboard both races without commentary. The fluffed finish gybe and the top mark when OR closed up, even the starts, he just politely told the team what to do. We would be fucked without an old head like him reining in the young hotheads. Think it was Andy Maloney calling wind shifts/angles?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, jaysper said:

Pretty realistic for anyone who has ever tried to use their software.

Careful Jayspur, Larry might send someone over to your house to discuss, plus have your bank accounts frozen:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, PabloAU said:

(Her) Ohhh Larry I'm in trouble

(Him) Well goodness gracious me

Every timer the kiwi's tack they're doubling the lead

Their boat goes much too fast its like I'm sailing in a fart

(repeat quote chorus)

Love it - Sophia Loren was so cool

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 zip for the day, could not be better.

Hats off to PB in the 2nd, bastard of a shift :angry: and he still won. If I'd won after that shift I'd be cock a fucking hoop.

3 more of those please guys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

Use an adblocker, and if you see little "x"s, hit them directly. Target shooting.
Or try these, if they are live, they usually have no ads or x if you have an adblocker:

http://live.robinwidget.org/streamvideo8/sailing-vs-35th-americas-cup-2017-live-stream-1845137.html
http://live.robinwidget.org/streamvideo8/sailing-vs-35th-americas-cup-2017-live-stream-2477928.html

Those links worked great for me. Thanks for posting! Will live streaming be available via the same links tomorrow (Sunday)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sam75 said:

Those links worked great for me. Thanks for posting! Will live streaming be available via the same links tomorrow (Sunday)?

They should. If not, just refresh/reload and you should be fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sparkiwi - showing my age with that bur yes, some of the lady's in Peter Seller's films were bloody gorgeous!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we can safely say now, the cyclors are a huge advantage for ETNZ. We saw it against Artemis, and we saw it again today with Oracle. The ability to drive the hydraulics and get up on foils quicker than their opponents is obvious. The bottom mark in the first race in both the Artemis race and the fluffed gybe this morning is evidence. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ETNZ sailed higher faster and found the shifts more effectively except for one shift. Several mistakes in both races by ETNZ shortened the winning margins in both races. Very disappointing. 

Let's hope ETNZ regroup and iron out these errors. 

OTUSA have a package optimized for higher winds and they'll make that pay when the time comes. 

One point up. Happy enough for now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't believe jimmy didn't win either start.  He would have wanted to come out and assert himself on the start.  #failed 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, PabloAU said:

6 more please.......

Sorry, my bad. I meant 3 more 2 zips. So in a first to 7 competition we win 8 - zip. WTF I ask you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Barnacle Bill said:

ETNZ sailed higher faster and found the shifts more effectively except for one shift. Several mistakes in both races by ETNZ shortened the winning margins in both races. Very disappointing. 

Let's hope ETNZ regroup and iron out these errors. 

OTUSA have a package optimized for higher winds and they'll make that pay when the time comes. 

One point up. Happy enough for now. 

They certainly got out of phase in race 2.  You don't always have options there.  They they protected it.  Not massive error that.  But.  That bottom mark in race 1 will be looked as closely.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

EXCELLENT !!!!!

Party like it's 1995 (but not till after 6 more wins)

GOD SAVE THE CUP - KIWI GOD that is !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO TEAM NEW ZEALAND !!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Qman said:

They certainly got out of phase in race 2.  You don't always have options there.  They they protected it.  Not massive error that.  But.  That bottom mark in race 1 will be looked as closely.  

It's like they just stop thinking and/or pedaling once they're laying (or think they're laying) that last rounding mark before the finish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, sam75 said:

Those links worked great for me. Thanks for posting! Will live streaming be available via the same links tomorrow (Sunday)?

Great, they did not work for me at all today. But happy they did for you.
They should be the same every day, at least that's the way it was until now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jimmy looking pretty haggard in the presser, big baggy eyes, unshaven, low energy.

Seems quite different to his attitude last time.

 

PB had a recent haircut & shave, looks so much younger & acting much more bouncy.

Edit: holy shit he's actually answering questions on point :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, minimumfuss said:

Ashby is one cool customer. He coached Pete and the team round the course today. Listened to ETNZ onboard both races without commentary. The fluffed finish gybe and the top mark when OR closed up, even the starts, he just politely told the team what to do. We would be fucked without an old head like him reining in the young hotheads. Think it was Andy Maloney calling wind shifts/angles?

That's interesting, Ashby was probably crucial in that upwind leg but still, ETNZ doesn't really have a answer to Slingsby. Slingsby really took advantage of those massive shifts, while ETNZ was taking it on the chin. I mostly agree with what NO said in the preview package this morning in that ETNZ is missing that second or third opinion that Slingsby is so amply providing on OR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent day, now back to the 24 hours and then a couple of hours kip before tomorrows races. Similar wind I believe. So see you then guys.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Todays factoid: The loosing team in the Americas Cup has failed to win a point 24 times out of 35, the largest winning margin has been 5-0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, hoom said:

Super close top mark.

ETNZ off phase let Oracle get to nearly overlapped on the mark.

ETNZ just clear.

Then Oracle flubbed their gybe, ETNZ nailed it & sailed away at 20+ vs under 10 :ph34r:

Fuckme that was too close.

 

Loved the tack in OR's face.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, minimumfuss said:

Ashby is one cool customer. He coached Pete and the team round the course today. Listened to ETNZ onboard both races without commentary. The fluffed finish gybe and the top mark when OR closed up, even the starts, he just politely told the team what to do. We would be fucked without an old head like him reining in the young hotheads. Think it was Andy Maloney calling wind shifts/angles?

Can attest from personal experience that Maloney was as fast and as smart as they come when racing lasers. He knew where to go and had the speed and fitness to execute.

In my opinion, the big loss on leg 5 was a result of course geometry (hitting the port boundary just before a big righty) plus less pressure relative to OR (pressure and lift). You'd be hard pressed to find a sailor who can think their way around that problem. Though I do think once it happened (NZ on port on big header, OR on starboard in lift and pressure) they could have gotten back onto starboard sooner to limit the loss and avoid sailing 2 big headers, but they may have been limited with hydro at that point...

Definitely interesting to see how reaching a boundary at the wrong/right time can create opportunities for big losses/gains.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, laser 173312 said:

Sorry, my bad. I meant 3 more 2 zips. So in a first to 7 competition we win 8 - zip. WTF I ask you.

Yeah.... not having a crack - The Larry & R.C. factors confuse the crap out of me as well..... :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PB really good at pressier

His best so far

One point he looked over to JS and I was thinking he was staring him down. JS had no answer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CraigGlunies said:

Can attest from personal experience that Maloney was as fast and as smart as they come when racing lasers. He knew where to go and had the speed and fitness to execute.

In my opinion, the big loss on leg 5 was a result of course geometry (hitting the port boundary just before a big righty) plus less pressure relative to OR (pressure and lift). You'd be hard pressed to find a sailor who can think their way around that problem. Though I do think once it happened (NZ on port on big header, OR on starboard in lift and pressure) they could have gotten back onto starboard sooner to limit the loss and avoid sailing 2 big headers, but they may have been limited with hydro at that point...

Definitely interesting to see how reaching a boundary at the wrong/right time can create opportunities for big losses/gains.

 

 

Agree on both points - narrow course geometry severely limiting options and ETNZ prooooobably still could have tacked sooner to avoid two big headers and lose their lead completely. In terms of hydro, they never seemed to sweat it too much, cyclors ftw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, chippin' away said:

Anyone have another link for watching today's races?  The above links aren't working for me. 

TIA

Race Replay thread

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, generative.design said:

That's interesting, Ashby was probably crucial in that upwind leg but still, ETNZ doesn't really have a answer to Slingsby. Slingsby really took advantage of those massive shifts, while ETNZ was taking it on the chin. I mostly agree with what NO said in the preview package this morning in that ETNZ is missing that second or third opinion that Slingsby is so amply providing on OR.

To put it another way, Slingsby is calling the moves on ORA while JS twiddles foil knobs. On TNZ Tuke worries about the foils while PB calls the moves. Ultimately 1 person calls the shots, they've just set it up differently. And like you say, there was a lot input from Ashby audible today. I suspect that's more a change of mics than a change of style.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

One point he looked over to JS and I was thinking he was staring him down. JS had no answer

Jimmy looked more glum than Basher on that last SF day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, eurochild said:

To put it another way, Slingsby is calling the moves on ORA while JS twiddles foil knobs. On TNZ Tuke worries about the foils while PB calls the moves. Ultimately 1 person calls the shots, they've just set it up differently. And like you say, there was a lot input from Ashby audible today. I suspect that's more a change of mics than a change of style.

Absolutely agree, I'm sure Ashby didn't do anything different today. However on that crucial upwind leg, Slingers was at the front of the boat with his toys, calling all the shifts correctly. I hope Ashby can do the same for ETNZ next time round..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites