• Announcements

    • UnderDawg

      A Few Simple Rules   05/22/2017

      Sailing Anarchy is a very lightly moderated site. This is by design, to afford a more free atmosphere for discussion. There are plenty of sailing forums you can go to where swearing isn't allowed, confrontation is squelched and, and you can have a moderator finger-wag at you for your attitude. SA tries to avoid that and allow for more adult behavior without moderators editing your posts and whacking knuckles with rulers. We don't have a long list of published "thou shalt nots" either, and this is by design. Too many absolute rules paints us into too many corners. So check the Terms of Service - there IS language there about certain types of behavior that is not permitted. We interpret that lightly and permit a lot of latitude, but we DO reserve the right to take action when something is too extreme to tolerate (too racist, graphic, violent, misogynistic, etc.). Yes, that is subjective, but it allows us discretion. Avoiding a laundry list of rules allows for freedom; don't abuse it. However there ARE a few basic rules that will earn you a suspension, and apparently a brief refresher is in order. 1) Allegations of pedophilia - there is no tolerance for this. So if you make allegations, jokes, innuendo or suggestions about child molestation, child pornography, abuse or inappropriate behavior with minors etc. about someone on this board you will get a time out. This is pretty much automatic; this behavior can have real world effect and is not acceptable. Obviously the subject is not banned when discussion of it is apropos, e.g. talking about an item in the news for instance. But allegations or references directed at or about another poster is verboten. 2) Outing people - providing real world identifiable information about users on the forums who prefer to remain anonymous. Yes, some of us post with our real names - not a problem to use them. However many do NOT, and if you find out someone's name keep it to yourself, first or last. This also goes for other identifying information too - employer information etc. You don't need too many pieces of data to figure out who someone really is these days. Depending on severity you might get anything from a scolding to a suspension - so don't do it. I know it can be confusing sometimes for newcomers, as SA has been around almost twenty years and there are some people that throw their real names around and their current Display Name may not match the name they have out in the public. But if in doubt, you don't want to accidentally out some one so use caution, even if it's a personal friend of yours in real life. 3) Posting While Suspended - If you've earned a timeout (these are fairly rare and hard to get), please observe the suspension. If you create a new account (a "Sock Puppet") and return to the forums to post with it before your suspension is up you WILL get more time added to your original suspension and lose your Socks. This behavior may result a permanent ban, since it shows you have zero respect for the few rules we have and the moderating team that is tasked with supporting them. Check the Terms of Service you agreed to; they apply to the individual agreeing, not the account you created, so don't try to Sea Lawyer us if you get caught. Just don't do it. Those are the three that will almost certainly get you into some trouble. IF YOU SEE SOMEONE DO ONE OF THESE THINGS, please do the following: Refrain from quoting the offending text, it makes the thread cleanup a pain in the rear Press the Report button; it is by far the best way to notify Admins as we will get e-mails. Calling out for Admins in the middle of threads, sending us PM's, etc. - there is no guarantee we will get those in a timely fashion. There are multiple Moderators in multiple time zones around the world, and anyone one of us can handle the Report and all of us will be notified about it. But if you PM one Mod directly and he's off line, the problem will get dealt with much more slowly. Other behaviors that you might want to think twice before doing include: Intentionally disrupting threads and discussions repeatedly. Off topic/content free trolling in threads to disrupt dialog Stalking users around the forums with the intent to disrupt content and discussion Repeated posting of overly graphic or scatological porn content. There are plenty web sites for you to get your freak on, don't do it here. And a brief note to Newbies... No, we will not ban people or censor them for dropping F-bombs on you, using foul language, etc. so please don't report it when one of our members gives you a greeting you may find shocking. We do our best not to censor content here and playing swearword police is not in our job descriptions. Sailing Anarchy is more like a bar than a classroom, so handle it like you would meeting someone a little coarse - don't look for the teacher. Thanks.
zillafreak

Live Racing Thread

9,039 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, zillafreak said:

Could not be a better day for the kiwis: win both starts, faster upwind and down, massive win margins despite mistakes. Wow. OR shitting themselves right now.

leading at every mark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DevsNzL said:

They lost hydro, I think this is where the benefit of cyclors comes into it. 

Completely agree - they ran out and the foil came crashing down

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Burling playing with him now.! Jimmy will do a head gasket soon. Kiwis are faster, they sail better and Burling looks like he's in his element. If this gets out like the AC34 there's no coming back this time. If it wasn't for NZ getting out of phase and turning on the Pie Warmer that would have been embarrassing. Jimmy has used up his nine lives and Slingsby struggled. The presser will show Jimmy his usual self but today was an old fashioned spanking. 

Lucky if the Kiwis win it everyone will have a chance, racing back in monos again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jaysper said:

Pretty realistic for anyone who has ever tried to use their software.

Ooooooo. Good burn. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@generative.design +1, the drone shots were great. In fact the overall visual presentation you'd have to say was pretty impressive, aside from the odd glitch and their aversion to a VMG display.

the onboard channels (Sky NZ) are cool. Lots more talk from Ashby audible today.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is a crap shoot but we are playing with loaded dice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DevsNzL said:

They lost hydro, I think this is where the benefit of cyclors comes into it. 

And there are really friends here that want to substitute the grinders/cyclors by electric motors/engines? They seem to make or heavily contribute to the difference. Boat building content AC, like it's supposed to be 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, laser 173312 said:

(Has to get the traditional SA greeting for that.)

 

Fuck off Newbie and show us your tits.

I've been 16 years old as well and knows how confusing it can be. Pile up with tissues and lock your door. You gona love it...

IMG_0394.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, eurochild said:

@generative.design +1, the drone shots were great. In fact the overall visual presentation you'd have to say was pretty impressive, aside from the odd glitch and their aversion to a VMG display.

the onboard channels (Sky NZ) are cool. Lots more talk from Ashby audible today.

 

Yeah, what's up with that? AC without VMG displays? That's ludicrous :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i loved hearing Spithill complaining to race management about the helicopter - it was LE's helicopter, trying to give ORUSA more breeze. ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TN_Kiwi said:

If ETNZ had made no mistakes today, the winning margins would have been monumental (though, in these boats, that second 1:26 margin was huge).  

Yeah without the big shift in the second upwind the margin in the second race would have been a number of minutes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TN_Kiwi said:

i loved hearing Spithill complaining to race management about the helicopter - it was LE's helicopter, trying to give ORUSA more breeze. ;-)

The helicopter

the software

the cards they were dealt

 

The excuses are flowing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, sparkiwi said:

My heart beats much too much At a certain tender touch, It goes boom boody-boom boody-boom boody-boom Boody-boom boody-boom boody-boom-boom-boom, Him: I like it! Her: Boom boody-boom boody-boom boody-boom Him: Well, goodness gracious me.

(Her) Ohhh Larry I'm in trouble

(Him) Well goodness gracious me

Every timer the kiwi's tack they're doubling the lead

Their boat goes much too fast its like I'm sailing in a fart

(repeat quote chorus)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ashby is one cool customer. He coached Pete and the team round the course today. Listened to ETNZ onboard both races without commentary. The fluffed finish gybe and the top mark when OR closed up, even the starts, he just politely told the team what to do. We would be fucked without an old head like him reining in the young hotheads. Think it was Andy Maloney calling wind shifts/angles?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, jaysper said:

Pretty realistic for anyone who has ever tried to use their software.

Careful Jayspur, Larry might send someone over to your house to discuss, plus have your bank accounts frozen:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the BT Sport chanel isstillbroadcasting live with some interviews

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, PabloAU said:

(Her) Ohhh Larry I'm in trouble

(Him) Well goodness gracious me

Every timer the kiwi's tack they're doubling the lead

Their boat goes much too fast its like I'm sailing in a fart

(repeat quote chorus)

Love it - Sophia Loren was so cool

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 zip for the day, could not be better.

Hats off to PB in the 2nd, bastard of a shift :angry: and he still won. If I'd won after that shift I'd be cock a fucking hoop.

3 more of those please guys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

Use an adblocker, and if you see little "x"s, hit them directly. Target shooting.
Or try these, if they are live, they usually have no ads or x if you have an adblocker:

http://live.robinwidget.org/streamvideo8/sailing-vs-35th-americas-cup-2017-live-stream-1845137.html
http://live.robinwidget.org/streamvideo8/sailing-vs-35th-americas-cup-2017-live-stream-2477928.html

Those links worked great for me. Thanks for posting! Will live streaming be available via the same links tomorrow (Sunday)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sam75 said:

Those links worked great for me. Thanks for posting! Will live streaming be available via the same links tomorrow (Sunday)?

They should. If not, just refresh/reload and you should be fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sparkiwi - showing my age with that bur yes, some of the lady's in Peter Seller's films were bloody gorgeous!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we can safely say now, the cyclors are a huge advantage for ETNZ. We saw it against Artemis, and we saw it again today with Oracle. The ability to drive the hydraulics and get up on foils quicker than their opponents is obvious. The bottom mark in the first race in both the Artemis race and the fluffed gybe this morning is evidence. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, laser 173312 said:

3 more of those please guys.

6 more please.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We squared the ledger today. Two wins each. Hope we have light winds tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ETNZ sailed higher faster and found the shifts more effectively except for one shift. Several mistakes in both races by ETNZ shortened the winning margins in both races. Very disappointing. 

Let's hope ETNZ regroup and iron out these errors. 

OTUSA have a package optimized for higher winds and they'll make that pay when the time comes. 

One point up. Happy enough for now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't believe jimmy didn't win either start.  He would have wanted to come out and assert himself on the start.  #failed 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, PabloAU said:

6 more please.......

Sorry, my bad. I meant 3 more 2 zips. So in a first to 7 competition we win 8 - zip. WTF I ask you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Barnacle Bill said:

ETNZ sailed higher faster and found the shifts more effectively except for one shift. Several mistakes in both races by ETNZ shortened the winning margins in both races. Very disappointing. 

Let's hope ETNZ regroup and iron out these errors. 

OTUSA have a package optimized for higher winds and they'll make that pay when the time comes. 

One point up. Happy enough for now. 

They certainly got out of phase in race 2.  You don't always have options there.  They they protected it.  Not massive error that.  But.  That bottom mark in race 1 will be looked as closely.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

EXCELLENT !!!!!

Party like it's 1995 (but not till after 6 more wins)

GOD SAVE THE CUP - KIWI GOD that is !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO TEAM NEW ZEALAND !!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Qman said:

They certainly got out of phase in race 2.  You don't always have options there.  They they protected it.  Not massive error that.  But.  That bottom mark in race 1 will be looked as closely.  

It's like they just stop thinking and/or pedaling once they're laying (or think they're laying) that last rounding mark before the finish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, sam75 said:

Those links worked great for me. Thanks for posting! Will live streaming be available via the same links tomorrow (Sunday)?

Great, they did not work for me at all today. But happy they did for you.
They should be the same every day, at least that's the way it was until now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jimmy looking pretty haggard in the presser, big baggy eyes, unshaven, low energy.

Seems quite different to his attitude last time.

 

PB had a recent haircut & shave, looks so much younger & acting much more bouncy.

Edit: holy shit he's actually answering questions on point :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, minimumfuss said:

Ashby is one cool customer. He coached Pete and the team round the course today. Listened to ETNZ onboard both races without commentary. The fluffed finish gybe and the top mark when OR closed up, even the starts, he just politely told the team what to do. We would be fucked without an old head like him reining in the young hotheads. Think it was Andy Maloney calling wind shifts/angles?

That's interesting, Ashby was probably crucial in that upwind leg but still, ETNZ doesn't really have a answer to Slingsby. Slingsby really took advantage of those massive shifts, while ETNZ was taking it on the chin. I mostly agree with what NO said in the preview package this morning in that ETNZ is missing that second or third opinion that Slingsby is so amply providing on OR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent day, now back to the 24 hours and then a couple of hours kip before tomorrows races. Similar wind I believe. So see you then guys.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Todays factoid: The loosing team in the Americas Cup has failed to win a point 24 times out of 35, the largest winning margin has been 5-0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone have another link for watching today's races?  The above links aren't working for me. 

TIA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, hoom said:

Super close top mark.

ETNZ off phase let Oracle get to nearly overlapped on the mark.

ETNZ just clear.

Then Oracle flubbed their gybe, ETNZ nailed it & sailed away at 20+ vs under 10 :ph34r:

Fuckme that was too close.

 

Loved the tack in OR's face.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, minimumfuss said:

Ashby is one cool customer. He coached Pete and the team round the course today. Listened to ETNZ onboard both races without commentary. The fluffed finish gybe and the top mark when OR closed up, even the starts, he just politely told the team what to do. We would be fucked without an old head like him reining in the young hotheads. Think it was Andy Maloney calling wind shifts/angles?

Can attest from personal experience that Maloney was as fast and as smart as they come when racing lasers. He knew where to go and had the speed and fitness to execute.

In my opinion, the big loss on leg 5 was a result of course geometry (hitting the port boundary just before a big righty) plus less pressure relative to OR (pressure and lift). You'd be hard pressed to find a sailor who can think their way around that problem. Though I do think once it happened (NZ on port on big header, OR on starboard in lift and pressure) they could have gotten back onto starboard sooner to limit the loss and avoid sailing 2 big headers, but they may have been limited with hydro at that point...

Definitely interesting to see how reaching a boundary at the wrong/right time can create opportunities for big losses/gains.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, laser 173312 said:

Sorry, my bad. I meant 3 more 2 zips. So in a first to 7 competition we win 8 - zip. WTF I ask you.

Yeah.... not having a crack - The Larry & R.C. factors confuse the crap out of me as well..... :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting Spithill not conceding boatspeed in the presser.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PB really good at pressier

His best so far

One point he looked over to JS and I was thinking he was staring him down. JS had no answer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CraigGlunies said:

Can attest from personal experience that Maloney was as fast and as smart as they come when racing lasers. He knew where to go and had the speed and fitness to execute.

In my opinion, the big loss on leg 5 was a result of course geometry (hitting the port boundary just before a big righty) plus less pressure relative to OR (pressure and lift). You'd be hard pressed to find a sailor who can think their way around that problem. Though I do think once it happened (NZ on port on big header, OR on starboard in lift and pressure) they could have gotten back onto starboard sooner to limit the loss and avoid sailing 2 big headers, but they may have been limited with hydro at that point...

Definitely interesting to see how reaching a boundary at the wrong/right time can create opportunities for big losses/gains.

 

 

Agree on both points - narrow course geometry severely limiting options and ETNZ prooooobably still could have tacked sooner to avoid two big headers and lose their lead completely. In terms of hydro, they never seemed to sweat it too much, cyclors ftw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, chippin' away said:

Anyone have another link for watching today's races?  The above links aren't working for me. 

TIA

Race Replay thread

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, generative.design said:

That's interesting, Ashby was probably crucial in that upwind leg but still, ETNZ doesn't really have a answer to Slingsby. Slingsby really took advantage of those massive shifts, while ETNZ was taking it on the chin. I mostly agree with what NO said in the preview package this morning in that ETNZ is missing that second or third opinion that Slingsby is so amply providing on OR.

To put it another way, Slingsby is calling the moves on ORA while JS twiddles foil knobs. On TNZ Tuke worries about the foils while PB calls the moves. Ultimately 1 person calls the shots, they've just set it up differently. And like you say, there was a lot input from Ashby audible today. I suspect that's more a change of mics than a change of style.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

One point he looked over to JS and I was thinking he was staring him down. JS had no answer

Jimmy looked more glum than Basher on that last SF day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, eurochild said:

To put it another way, Slingsby is calling the moves on ORA while JS twiddles foil knobs. On TNZ Tuke worries about the foils while PB calls the moves. Ultimately 1 person calls the shots, they've just set it up differently. And like you say, there was a lot input from Ashby audible today. I suspect that's more a change of mics than a change of style.

Absolutely agree, I'm sure Ashby didn't do anything different today. However on that crucial upwind leg, Slingers was at the front of the boat with his toys, calling all the shifts correctly. I hope Ashby can do the same for ETNZ next time round..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Barnyb said:

PB really good at pressier

His best so far

One point he looked over to JS and I was thinking he was staring him down. JS had no answer

My favourite point was when Jimmy was talking all tough, the camera pans to PB and he is literally laughing! Realises the camera is on him and shuts it down to a wry grin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

Interesting Spithill not conceding boatspeed in the presser.

While Burling rubs it in at every opportunity "we were happy the boat was really fast" is basically his go to phrase now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AC NZL said:

PB sailed better today

... sums it up ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

Interesting Spithill not conceding boatspeed in the presser.

maybe he didn't notice the speed diff.  At times, it would have been hard for him to judge, being that far back, so we can cut him a little slack on that one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've almost never heard someone blame their boat when they can blame themselves, mostly because champions tend to always believe they can win every race, and admitting they have a slow boat destroys that necessary mindset.  It's subconscious but pretty universal across sport.

 

Blaming the Oracle software of the Oracle boat was pretty precious though.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rh2600 said:

Agree its a long road, and Oracle aren't out by any stretch yet.

If it was flukey, then if anything the luck fell to Oracle not to ETNZ... and it still didn't change the outcome

Oh I'm as happy as a dog with 2 dicks over today's racing, we looked great at times. But just need to be realistic too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting day.  I hope that they get over needing to have the finish line at the partially filled stands.  That must be making the RC nuts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Barnacle Bill said:

Ooooooo. Good burn. 

 

Also deadly accurate. I've never used an orifice product that didn't feel like a vasectomy with a food processor. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Am I paranoid or are all the BT commentary team for an Oracle win?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, DayTripper said:

Am I paranoid or are all the BT commentary team for an Oracle win?

They must be getting briefing notes from Ken Read. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the first race today, I guess we'll never know what happened to ETNZ on the last mark rounding gybe, it looked like PB thought he was finished. He started walking forward like he was going to congratulate others? I heard someone aboard say 'better go grab the wheel mate' just before PB scampered across to resume the finishing leg.

And from the second race today, after the stunning upwind comeback at the end of the last beat, after the rounding what on earth happened on OR's gybe? JS said it wasn't lack of oil, but why one of their worst gybes ever at a crucial moment? At first it looked like a breakdown as they all looked confused for a moment. When they got their act back together of course ETNZ was 400-500 meters ahead again.

The pressers are pretty useless. PB says the same thing every day, every question - like a politician. And JS talks down to the media, though they usually deserve it with some of the dumb questions...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, ETNZ was quick today.

A few mistakes too, but the best possible start to the Match.

Looking forward to Sunday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, MidPack said:

And from the second race today, after the stunning upwind comeback at the end of the last beat, after the rounding what on earth happened on OR's gybe? JS said it wasn't lack of oil, but why one of their worst gybes ever at a crucial moment? At first it looked like a breakdown as they all looked confused for a moment. When they got their act back together of course ETNZ was 400-500 meters ahead again.

He claimed they lost a rudder but to me it looked like they just didn't have any oil left - to admit that at this stage would be a massive admission though hence his cage reply in the presser IMO.  If you look at the final couple of minutes of that leg, it should have been ETNZ with less oil given they did a low speed tack with a furious speed build to get back on the foils followed by a pretty quick gybe after the gate.  The fact that OR didn't have enough left after tacking a lot earlier will be a massive concern for them as it will make it very difficult to cover if ETNZ opts to break in similar conditions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, DayTripper said:

Am I paranoid or are all the BT commentary team for an Oracle win?

 

29 minutes ago, Ex-yachtie said:

They must be getting briefing notes from Ken Read. 

BT are using the same Ken Read reed as everyone else, right? Unless we're talking about the studio team, rather than the commentary team?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think OTUSA better get fracking.

They need to top up their oil reserves real fast. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That tack on top of Oracle still makes me very happy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My observation of the first two races is that ETNZ has a slight boatspeed advantage, better height upwind at similar boatspeeds and being able to soak downwind at the same speeds.  The 1st race starting penalty was not important, and ETNZ's belly flop at the end of race 2 wasn't enough to allow ORUSA to overtake (barely).  For those with cognitive dissonance, please observe ETNZ  was ahead by 400-600 meters at times in both races.

ORUSA better work harder on optimizing boatspeed in 6-9kn winds or they will lose the Cup. Extended forecasts for next weekend are @ 12kn both days, but I've learned Bermuda forecasts are iffy.  Since the Cup races are only four days, two days a weekend apart, it could be the Cup is won in light air conditions by the light air optimized boat.  That would sadden me; it's most exciting when they are powered up (15-18kn) and it's a raging cage match in 18-24kn.

Some magic innovations could improve OTUSA in the light stuff, but I doubt it.  Let us pray for bigger winds next weekend or ORUSA is toast.  Funny thing is the LV races were predicted to be varying winds, with the late June AC races suffering in light air.  Personally, light but sailable air rises the cream to the top; anybody can power up in wind and with superior hardware win.  Light air is a different game.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, jawjaw said:

 

BT are using the same Ken Read reed as everyone else, right? Unless we're talking about the studio team, rather than the commentary team?

The BT studio team are basically 2 Artemis guys and the horse lady. The Artemis guys are super bias against ETNZ. It was nowhere near as bad today, as it was for the other matches against BAR and Artemis. Don't mind a bit of bias to a home team but at times it OTT, and to assume the UK sailing community favor oracle seems a bit of a reach to me. Shirley out on the course is well ingrained in Artemis as well though she seems a lot more level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

So, ETNZ was quick today.

A few mistakes too, but the best possible start to the Match.

Looking forward to Sunday.

Sunday is Father's Day in the US - 2 more ETNZ wins would help me celebrate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Jimmy thinks he doesn't have the necessary boat speed, he'll be working hard for penalties at every opportunity on Sunday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, MidPack said:

From the first race today, I guess we'll never know what happened to ETNZ on the last mark rounding gybe, it looked like PB thought he was finished. He started walking forward like he was going to congratulate others? I heard someone aboard say 'better go grab the wheel mate' just before PB scampered across to resume the finishing leg.

And from the second race today, after the stunning upwind comeback at the end of the last beat, after the rounding what on earth happened on OR's gybe? JS said it wasn't lack of oil, but why one of their worst gybes ever at a crucial moment? At first it looked like a breakdown as they all looked confused for a moment. When they got their act back together of course ETNZ was 400-500 meters ahead again.

The pressers are pretty useless. PB says the same thing every day, every question - like a politician. And JS talks down to the media, though they usually deserve it with some of the dumb questions...

Have you SEEN my worldwide exclusive interview with Peter????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, TN_Kiwi said:

If Jimmy thinks he doesn't have the necessary boat speed, he'll be working hard for penalties at every opportunity on Sunday.

Pistol Pete is cleaning his Glock G21, as we exchange digits.

I'm pretty sure he'll be ready for Jimmy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This guy...One minute he's calling the Kiwi's out. Next minute he's heaping the praise on. Its like someone has gone to both Coutts and Spithill and told them enough is enough of the media antics. Lets just all get along...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, sclarke said:

This guy...One minute he's calling the Kiwi's out. Next minute he's heaping the praise on. Its like someone has gone to both Coutts and Spithill and told them enough is enough of the media antics. Lets just all get along...

 

He's a Swedish American now.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Lartitude36S said:

He's a Swedish American now.......

I guess he may be coming home soon?

No, Queen Street Parade this time though eh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still don't understand just what happened during that gybe. Right after the turn it looked like they were out of phase, with people running back and forth..

vlcsnap-2017-06-17-22h53m42s885.thumb.jpg.a1676c41fcbd8f7990f2bb443401aa28.jpg

.. it looks like they simply didn't have hydro to execute the turn but 5 seconds later, instead of grinding away to rectify the situation, they were just sitting there with their hands folded, more or less..

vlcsnap-2017-06-17-22h53m55s007.thumb.jpg.ff1a0623f4b90cc4622ff14654cb6667.jpg

 

I assume the distance lost was bad but not quite this bad  B)

vlcsnap-2017-06-17-22h55m06s332.thumb.jpg.653f304b501aded5fa6aa7cdf36b17b8.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MidPack said:

From the first race today, I guess we'll never know what happened to ETNZ on the last mark rounding gybe, it looked like PB thought he was finished. He started walking forward like he was going to congratulate others? 

Yes PB thought it was finished, dumped it and wandered off! Good video clip on the TNZ thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@generative.design Agree, at the time I thought they'd muffed the gybe and fallen into a wind hole, but the body language was confusing. Wanted to watch the on board on the replay but they don't have it running for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, ezyb said:

He claimed they lost a rudder but to me it looked like they just didn't have any oil left - to admit that at this stage would be a massive admission though hence his cage reply in the presser IMO.  If you look at the final couple of minutes of that leg, it should have been ETNZ with less oil given they did a low speed tack with a furious speed build to get back on the foils followed by a pretty quick gybe after the gate.  The fact that OR didn't have enough left after tacking a lot earlier will be a massive concern for them as it will make it very difficult to cover if ETNZ opts to break in similar conditions.

Only thing I have enjoyed watching more than the TDF is the AC. And now we get both. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, desprit said:

Blaming your bad start on a software issue is not a good career move if you are on Oracle. 

30 sec to the start, 28, 27... java update... fuck! OCS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DevsNzL said:

They lost hydro, I think this is where the benefit of cyclors comes into it. 

It was actually worse than that, if you look at the gybe they don't let their jib through either. So post-gybe their jib being on the wrong side probably reducing wing power by 50% at such a low speed. Whether they ran out of hydro or not they had bungled it anyway with the jib - that's worth a stack of distance even if you spot it within a second or two as it's completely buggered the flow around the wing.

Panicked mistake or other issue?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Nutta said:

30 sec to the start, 28, 27... java update... fuck! OCS.

Fucking gold! :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MidPack said:

From the first race today, I guess we'll never know what happened to ETNZ on the last mark rounding gybe, it looked like PB thought he was finished. He started walking forward like he was going to congratulate others? I heard someone aboard say 'better go grab the wheel mate' just before PB scampered across to resume the finishing leg.

And from the second race today, after the stunning upwind comeback at the end of the last beat, after the rounding what on earth happened on OR's gybe? JS said it wasn't lack of oil, but why one of their worst gybes ever at a crucial moment? At first it looked like a breakdown as they all looked confused for a moment. When they got their act back together of course ETNZ was 400-500 meters ahead again.

The pressers are pretty useless. PB says the same thing every day, every question - like a politician. And JS talks down to the media, though they usually deserve it with some of the dumb questions...

I definitely thought PB believed the race finished the way he casually walked across the tramp. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Barnyb said:

Sailor Girl

 

Photobomb at 2:58

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Barnyb said:

Photobomb at 2:58

Cheeky :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Nutta said:

30 sec to the start, 28, 27... java update... fuck! OCS.

Oh how frikkin true......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DayTripper said:

Am I paranoid or are all the BT commentary team for an Oracle win?

Nothing exists outside of America for Americans.

It's brainwashed into them from an early age.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Barnyb said:

Sailor Girl

 

 

 

26 minutes ago, Barnyb said:

Photobomb at 2:58

Wow. Photobomb of the century right there. Who said, Pete was boring?

Screen Shot 2017-06-18 at 10.20.39 AM.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Lartitude36S said:

Nothing exists outside of America for Americans.

It's brainwashed into them from an early age.

And it's not like Trump will change that anytime soon, either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Paddywackery said:

I definitely thought PB believed the race finished the way he casually walked across the tramp. 

Jeeezus. Imagine how far in front he would have been, had he was concentrating! ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Barnyb said:

Photobomb at 2:58

Would pay $100 to see Pete flashing rabbit ears behind Jimmy's head. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Jeeezus. Imagine how far in front he would have been, had he was concentrating! ;)

LOL .... my goodness but he is calm as can be while the rest of us clutched our hearts and looked for a bucket. Tremendous result, roll on tomorrow!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

 

 

Wow. Photobomb of the century right there. Who said, Pete was boring?

Screen Shot 2017-06-18 at 10.20.39 AM.png

V for factory, 2 for two!

Best sledge ever!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, rh2600 said:

V for factory, 2 for two!

Best sledge ever!

 

Yes that truly is gold.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was clear that something was going on with ETNZ half way up that leg, the dropped to 12 knots at one stage but do the commentators notice? No, they're too busy waffling about oracle. Then as ETNZ are fighting that bad shift it would have been a perfect time for the graphics to show the lead distance lines, but the producers didn't manage that either. It was a joke. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great interview with the Cyclors on WoW. The boys were talking about how they manage the effort and pain barrier, talking about the usual symptoms of loss of hearing, loss of sight, and even losing mental capacity like knowing you have to get over the other side of the boat. 

Respect.

What awesome athletes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, shaggybaxter said:

Great interview with the Cyclors on WoW. The boys were talking about how they manage the effort and pain barrier, talking about the usual symptoms of loss of hearing, loss of sight, and even losing mental capacity like knowing you have to get over the other side of the boat. 

Respect.

What awesome athletes. 

Woulda like to see that interview. What is WoW?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interviews, yeh, that's the ticket, just show the interviews. And stills from the race footage, yeh, lots of stills of the race footage. And more interviews and background pieces, yeh, that's the ticket. Because who wants to watch replays of the actual races? Losers, that's who, winners want to play the video re-enactment as true particiapnts always do, yeh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, eurochild said:

Yes PB thought it was finished, dumped it and wandered off! Good video clip on the TNZ thread.

That would be seriously dumb if true. It was a little comical watching Burling walking towards the cyclors before turning and sprinting back to the wheel...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Indio said:

That would be seriously dumb if true. It was a little comical watching Burling walking towards the cyclors before turning and sprinting back to the wheel...

Haha yea, a bit of shit in the bed there...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For ourselves, we were amazing out there today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now