• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

44 minutes ago, WetHog said:

We don't watch the same feed.  Us in the US have the stick and ball douche from AC34 with unpolished NO and Draper and the International crowd get the rugby guy and KR.  

Lord knows why us in the US lost KR after the LVC but, no offense to NO and Draper, the commentary sucks.  Sucks bad. 

WetHog  :ph34r:

God I would love to have NO and Draper cf Read. 

you may think I'm full of shit, but if they put me and freddy carr in the booth and steph roble or genny tulloch on the water, we'd rock the fucking world.

The Cup's a media failure. I'm ok with paying to view TV and the app. What I'm not ok with is the commentary we get in NZ through sky TV. I'm forced to turn the volume down and instead constantly refresh SAAC and glance over to the app as attention allows. I DON'T want to hear an English and American with OTUSA bias tell me what's going on, nor do I need a lesson on hydraulic fluid pumping differences during every race. 

I believe the future of coverage in this event lies in a central online streaming solution where you can choose a variety of commentators, camera angles and positions, listen to what ever boat you want or go for the full VR experience. 

I believe we should have the power to overlay data on the screen as we see fit and be able to analyze data post race with full access to all recorded data that the teams get as part of the deal. 

This way the experience can  be as simple or complex as the user wants. None of this requires technology advances, just the courage to do it. 

I'll be letting the winning team know this view and will let a know what reply I get, if any. 

10 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

you may think I'm full of shit, but if they put me and freddy carr in the booth and steph roble or genny tulloch on the water, we'd rock the fucking world.

What kind of shit? A Jimmy? 

44 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

In your dreams, Buddy. ;)

5 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

18 minutes after posting my 'banned' story i got a friendly email.  Funny how that works.

great news , you won the protest

51 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

you're full of shit!

9 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Just confirmed that TWO RACES TOMORROW ONLY.

Nice reports mister.

10 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Just confirmed that TWO RACES TOMORROW ONLY.

So I guess the desire to have the Cup on the front page of Monday's NY Times is only relevant if it's Oracle winning.  So much for marketing the event.  I know that NBC wants this over as soon as possible, so I wonder who decided against giving IM the discretion to run a third race if the Kiwis get to match point?

No idea, but it's one in a litany of misteps on the organizer side.  On the other hand, the race village is really well done and the crowds were excellent today, albeit it in a fairly small area that accentuates the size of the throng.  My swag estimate (based on other events that actually released numbers) with a little support from a local event staffer is somewhere between 6 and 8k on the day.  I do know there were something like 2000 spec boat flags issued, and am trying to get the event media folks to get a high helicopter shot of the spectator fleet. Remember the 2009 VOR when they shot the fleet off Stockholm, eventually counting like 5000 boats or something?  That would be good for them to do.

1 hour ago, MR.CLEAN said:

I actually like your live commentary as much as any in all of sailing and have for a number of years. The volvo start you did and especially the M32.  And your facebook dock out thing this morning was great.

Just to balance it all out thought....your a punk.

Just re-watched the races and on the post SR put up on speeds, vmg, etc. there we a number of times the Kiwi boat was consistently faster than OR. Also the Kiwis hit a top speed of 38.5 and that was noted on the NBC commentary. At times the Kiwis just angled the boat downwind especially the first run in race 1 while maintaining most of the top speed but eliminating a gybe.

OR may be faster than before but I am not convinced that they are equal or better than the Kiwis. They are probably like AR, if they get a lead they have enough to fend them off tactically by covering. There were quite a few places where you could see the wind speed helping or hurting.

I think the Kiwis still have the edge but may have to work a little harder on it.

35 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

No idea, but it's one in a litany of misteps on the organizer side.  On the other hand, the race village is really well done and the crowds were excellent today, albeit it in a fairly small area that accentuates the size of the throng.  My swag estimate (based on other events that actually released numbers) with a little support from a local event staffer is somewhere between 6 and 8k on the day.  I do know there were something like 2000 spec boat flags issued, and am trying to get the event media folks to get a high helicopter shot of the spectator fleet. Remember the 2009 VOR when they shot the fleet off Stockholm, eventually counting like 5000 boats or something?  That would be good for them to do.

If they had held the cup somewhere other than a tiny island in the middle of nowhere with overpriced hotels, food and beer then perhaps more people would have shown up. Stadium racing with 8k people turning up is hardly a measure of success. In NZ, 8k people show up to watch a provincial rugby game with no grandstand. Just people standing around the rugby paddock yelling at the blind referee. All I see in BDA is rich white folk waving event-purchased flags and sipping champers from a bottle with a shewee poking out the top. 

I'd love to see the ACEA balance sheet at the end of this. I bet my left nutbag that there's no money in this. 

The only reason we're watching, talking and paying any attention to this event is the prestigious TROPHY that awaits the billionaire rat claws to fondle it at the end. Without the mug, this is just a medium level yacht regatta akin to second tier events, such as the international curling championships being held in Japan right now. 

Spectacular spectator boats. I counted 109 last weekend from a high helicopter shot. 

In 2000, 120,000 people and over 2000 spectator boats surrounded the lads on the final day of the AC. 

BDA is wanting IMO. 

2 hours ago, jaysper said:

With more experience NO and Draper would be as good, or better, than KR, but the stick and ball douche has to go.  His claim to fame is doing play by play for that pinnacle of sport the Worlds Strongest Man competition on ESPN 15-20 years ago.  That says it all.  Magnús Ver Magnússon and his crew are the only people who love the stick and ball douche.

17 minutes ago, ~HHN92~ said:

Just re-watched the races and on the post SR put up on speeds, vmg, etc. there we a number of times the Kiwi boat was consistently faster than OR. Also the Kiwis hit a top speed of 38.5 and that was noted on the NBC commentary. At times the Kiwis just angled the boat downwind especially the first run in race 1 while maintaining most of the top speed but eliminating a gybe.

OR may be faster than before but I am not convinced that they are equal or better than the Kiwis. They are probably like AR, if they get a lead they have enough to fend them off tactically by covering. There were quite a few places where you could see the wind speed helping or hurting.

I think the Kiwis still have the edge but may have to work a little harder on it.

agreed,  i think it is more like the artemis battle.  Today in race 2 OR sailed as well as they can and just scraped through.   But we know how the LV final played out.  job done in the end.  its a percentage game.   if they win 50% they are sweet, in fact 35% they are sweet.  just gotta keep on the top half of the wins.   I think we win 2 tomorrow. ;-)

10 minutes ago, WetHog said:

With more experience NO and Draper would be as good, or better, than KR, but the stick and ball douche has to go.  His claim to fame is doing play by play for that pinnacle of sport the Worlds Strongest Man competition on ESPN 15-20 years ago.  That says it all.  Magnús Ver Magnússon and his crew are the only people who love the stick and ball douche.

Oh I wasn't talking about the other cock Sucker!  But Nath and Draper were much betterather than Ken.

12 minutes ago, Qman said:

Today in race 2 OR sailed as well as they can and just scraped through.

Translation from New Zealand Engish to American English: "NZ Needed a fake protest or two, plus a few big errors from OR to win, and they didn't get them."

4 hours ago, Priscilla said:

... Daltons Dandies need 3 wins and Oriface require 6 from the 7 remaining races correct?.......

Apologies if this was covered before; there was discussion, but not sure if it was ever cleared up.  Is this (a) first team to reach 7 points wins?  or (b) a 13-race maximum?  There's one case where those criteria do not mesh, ie,

Current score (points, not races)

NZ has 4 points

OR has 1 point

So far 6 races have occurred, leaving a maximum of 7 races (assuming the 13 max rule in (b) above applies).  If these 7 would end up with NZ winning 2 and OR winning 5, this would yield:

NZ would have 4 + 2 = 6 points

OR would have 1 + 5 = 6 points

For the case above, would a 14th race be added to allow someone to reach 7 points? Or does a 6-6 tie default to the Defender?  If a tie defaults to the Defender, then OR only needs to win 5 out of the remaining 7 races, not 6 out of 7.

4 hours ago, Barnacle Bill said:

I don't think they'll have a whole lot left in the shed. They've had five days to give it everything. Nothing will have been held back.  The gains to be made now for OTUSA are in moding the boat more effectively. They'll be doing that and taking a close look at today's coverage. 

Spot on but that works both ways now. There is not much that can be done overnight anymore by either team.

The speeds look fairly even to me. VMG matters still,  and I did not see VMG advantage consistently to OTUSA today.

ETNZ sailed poorly in the second race. Missing the wind shift lost them the race, amongst other errors. 

I find this recurring comment from ETNZ fans in particular, pretty weird and no doubt generated by the close finish delta having regard to ETNZ missing the shift. The reality is OR made a monumental fuck up which cost them up to 150m when they screwed up the layline at the bottom. Picking the shifts better helped get that most of that 150m loss back for OR.

This'll come down to sailing the boat. I maintain ETNZ has the better tasking for the sailors and therefore an advantage to sail the boat more effectively than OTUSA ultimately winning more races. 

Score so far supports that, but ignores OR improving.

Dialing on pt/stb is not effective unless at or near a mark rounding or at the start. We'll see changes on that should it option tomorrow. 

I'm picking 2-0 to ETNZ tomorrow unless there's three races. 

Confirmed there won't be three races so 2-0 a big call after what we saw today.

Also like you media analysis Bill, keep them coming.

20 minutes ago, LadyGoDiving said:

Apologies if this was covered before; there was discussion, but not sure if it was ever cleared up.  Is this (a) first team to reach 7 points wins?  or (b) a 13-race maximum?  There's one case where those criteria do not mesh, ie,

Current score (points, not races)

NZ has 4 points

OR has 1 point

So far 6 races have occurred, leaving a maximum of 7 races (assuming the 13 max rule in (b) above applies).  If these 7 would end up with NZ winning 2 and OR winning 5, this would yield:

NZ would have 4 + 2 = 6 points

OR would have 1 + 5 = 6 points

For the case above, would a 14th race be added to allow someone to reach 7 points? Or does a 6-6 tie default to the Defender?  If a tie defaults to the Defender, then OR only needs to win 5 out of the remaining 7 races, not 6 out of 7.

I didn't read the rules, but they have a 14th race on the schedule listed as if necessary.

7 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

18 minutes after posting my 'banned' story i got a friendly email.  Funny how that works.

Sweet, sometimes you need to yell a little louder lol.

Hey Barnicle Bill, was at village today and I can tell you was the most diverse crowd you could ever expect at a sailing event. I'm sure your typical Auckland Sailing sausage party has more numbers but your rich white guy comment is way off base mate. 

Lots of really good people both Oracle and ENTZ fans loving the racing. 

33 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Also like you media analysis Bill, keep them coming.

Thanks Jack, a complement from you has value considering how much shit I've given you in the past. 

it's rather amazing how for this series of races the claims of the judges being in OR's pocket have been much less than the past few months , none actually , if truth be told . 

The quiet is refreshing actually:) 

11 minutes ago, starrchallenge said:

Hey Barnicle Bill, was at village today and I can tell you was the most diverse crowd you could ever expect at a sailing event. I'm sure your typical Auckland Sailing sausage party has more numbers but your rich white guy comment is way off base mate. 

Lots of really good people both Oracle and ENTZ fans loving the racing. 

Not in the grandstand buddy. That's strictly for good looking rich white folk. ACEA are bringing in the homeless to bolster numbers to the yard. 

7 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

You should probably update that Front Page (whats that?) article...

IMO the "recall" or OCS penalty should be just that. A recall, not just a penalty. A boat who is OCS should have to turn back and cross the start line again. As it is an OCS penalty doesn't really matter that much.

37 minutes ago, maxmini said:

it's rather amazing how for this series of races the claims of the judges being in OR's pocket have been much less than the past few months , none actually , if truth be told . 

It's only because it's looking like ETNZ are competitive. All those hand-wringing old men will be looking for work in a few years. They can almost taste the crab on Queens Wharf. 

Wait a minute. It didn't seem that quiet on the water or on the presser today? As an American Max, I guess you're still struggling with Jimmy's accent. 

2 hours ago, ~HHN92~ said:

agree

4 minutes ago, Barnyb said:

agree

The VMGs on race 1's coverage were anomlous due to being an average over legs where Oracle had to soak up penalties.

8 hours ago, snaerk said:

Enzed cood still hav wun last rayss, dyoo think, if thay had tact on fayss of Orickel below last top mark and led into serckle?

\Insted ov dipping

Welcome back Anserk to ASSC!! You are right of course, just like previous race they did it in. Unlike a Brazilian, its not pretty, but hairy and ugly still gets the job done.

35 minutes ago, Barnacle Bill said:

It's only because it's looking like ETNZ are competitive. All those hand-wringing old men will be looking for work in a few years. They can almost taste the crab on Queens Wharf. 

Wait a minute. It didn't seem that quiet on the water or on the presser today? As an American Max, I guess you're still struggling with Jimmy's accent. 

I didn't catch the presser but your probley correct and a translator would have been helpful .

Truth be told I have no problem if the sailors on either side comment on the officiating I mean they actually have skin in the game.

It's the keyboard warriors and their whining that really comes across in less than a favorable light . 

8 hours ago, ~Stingray~ said:

Instead of spreading sleazy rumors about opinions from whoever: Please, please try to focus instead on the (c'mon, man) excellent technology and performances being delivered out there. THAT is where the dynamite is this time around. 

Oh for heavens sake. Times past, when it suited your agenda, any news related to any company EB had ever had anything to do with was considered fit to print on SAAC. Now we are just supposed to focus on "excellent technology and performances" like obedient little boys and girls. Well screw that.

21 minutes ago, maxmini said:

I didn't catch the presser but your probley correct and a translator would have been helpful .

Truth be told I have no problem if the sailors on either side comment on the officiating I mean they actually have skin in the game.

It's the keyboard warriors and their whining that really comes across in less than a favorable light . 

Nah fuck it max, let's whinge about it.

Like I said after Artemis-gate, it's swings and roundabouts. Sometimes the call goes your way and sometimes not. If you are happy to take the calls when they go your way you have to suckit up when they don't. 

That dial down looked a little dodgy using the computer generated lines as a guide but presumably the umpires have the telemetry to get the job done.

39 minutes ago, dogwatch said:

Oh for heavens sake. Times past, when it suited your agenda, any news related to any company EB had ever had anything to do with was considered fit to print on SAAC. Now we are just supposed to focus on "excellent technology and performances" like obedient little boys and girls. Well screw that.

Spinbot's herpes infection has completely destroyed what little objectivity he had...now he's just a robotic shill for anything OR-XEROX...

54 minutes ago, maxmini said:

Oh yeah, those horrible cunts. I hate them. Sometimes it's bloody difficult to tell the jokers from the passionate 'always right' nut jobs in here. 

When something squeaks or whines, I squirt it with WD40. If it don't STFU then, I shoot at it with some 45ACP. 

4 hours ago, rustylaru said:

I actually like your live commentary as much as any in all of sailing and have for a number of years. The volvo start you did and especially the M32.  And your facebook dock out thing this morning was great.

Just to balance it all out thought....your a punk.

Don't forget the Moth Worlds....and those missing Monday AC34 ETNZ videos!

3 hours ago, maxmini said:

Well, after winning so many races after questionble rulings in ETNZ's favor i guess it's quiet now. The second penalty against OR in first race yesterday was just as much bullshit as the one against Artemis. 

No blame on ETNZ, they are doing it rifht, but the umpries has done a terrible job this cycle..

4 hours ago, nroose said:

Translation from New Zealand Engish to American English: "NZ Needed a fake protest or two, plus a few big errors from OR to win, and they didn't get them."

if you say so, but oracle also won that start.  where was the fake protest, just remember the both protested that crossing. not just ETNZ.  I was fair.  And OR was at least 1/2 a boat length over at the start, it wasn't a couple of mm.    Race one OR make a couple of errors and lose by 2 minutes, race 2 etnz lose the start, make errors and lose by 11 seconds.   All things being equal i know who i would back. 

Cheers to the person who put the links up, saved my butt while in Aus today and the crappy sky app wouldn't play ball! 

12 hours ago, KoW said:

Personally I am very impressed with the improvements Oracle have made.

Jimmy blaming his software and the umpires is typically ungracious of the man.

Indeed. 

to yore 2nd point : I hope hiz teem do not lissen to the press conferents stuff

7 hours ago, Barnacle Bill said:

The Cup's a media failure. I'm ok with paying to view TV and the app. What I'm not ok with is the commentary we get in NZ through sky TV. I'm forced to turn the volume down and instead constantly refresh SAAC and glance over to the app as attention allows. I DON'T want to hear an English and American with OTUSA bias tell me what's going on, nor do I need a lesson on hydraulic fluid pumping differences during every race. 

I believe the future of coverage in this event lies in a central online streaming solution where you can choose a variety of commentators, camera angles and positions, listen to what ever boat you want or go for the full VR experience. 

I believe we should have the power to overlay data on the screen as we see fit and be able to analyze data post race with full access to all recorded data that the teams get as part of the deal. 

This way the experience can  be as simple or complex as the user wants. None of this requires technology advances, just the courage to do it. 

I'll be letting the winning team know this view and will let a know what reply I get, if any. 

If you are using SkyTV you can get rid of the commentary and just listen to the mics on the boats.  

Press the yellow button on your remote and select the Alt commentary. 

2 hours ago, jaysper said:

That dial down looked a little dodgy using the computer generated lines as a guide but presumably the umpires have the telemetry to get the job done.

Looked skweeky cleen on Virtual Eye

but yore ryt, umps shd hav better still, eg seperit TWA for eetsh bote, and hi rez diff GPS

25 minutes ago, Qman said:

if you say so, but oracle also won that start.  where was the fake protest, just remember the both protested that crossing. not just ETNZ.  I was fair.  And OR was at least 1/2 a boat length over at the start, it wasn't a couple of mm.    Race one OR make a couple of errors and lose by 2 minutes, race 2 etnz lose the start, make errors and lose by 11 seconds.   All things being equal i know who i would back. 

I don't agree on "fake protest" since a protest is a protest, but the ruling however is shit. The penalty OR got at the start looked fair by me.  It's playoff. Final, and just as in any other sport the umpries must have that in mind when ruling and the other penalty OR got where BS.

Umpries has hot it wrong to many times to be ok by me.

4 hours ago, maxmini said:

How about letting the TV director calling shots on having 2 vs 3 races tomorrow, rather than IM. I wonder who that may advantage. 

Anyone heard an explanation of WHY there will only be two races tomorrow, given that the rule specifically allows for three if there is a chance to finish the Match?

29 minutes ago, weta27 said:

Anyone heard an explanation of WHY there will only be two races tomorrow, given that the rule specifically allows for three if there is a chance to finish the Match?

Was on one todays Pete Lester/Martin Tasker dock in shows Toyota/ETNZ have on their FB page around 8 mins in. Feat Murray Jones. Am suspicious, like all the kiwis.

1 hour ago, weta27 said:

As soon as they made Monday not Sunday the last day that provision in effect probably flipped to Monday I suspect though nothing stopping them having 3 if they wanted it being a commercial call.

It is just on 8.30 am and breeze across the sound is identical to yesterday and has been sitting on a steady 7/8k and has been trending up in the the last hour or so. Expect the average to hit 10k shortly. Can't see foil selection at cut off time being any different to yesterday. 

17 hours ago, Qman said:

Exactly.  That was like Artemis.  They did that one day also.  Not stressed 

too right, PB knows he made mistakes, knows he can do better today

3 hours ago, minimumfuss said:

How about letting the TV director calling shots on having 2 vs 3 races tomorrow, rather than IM. I wonder who that may advantage. 

It's not IM's call, but rather the Commercial Commissioner in conjunction with the broadcaster but the decision had to be made last night.

3 hours ago, weta27 said:

My friends at NBC tell me they'd be happy for this to end tomorrow, so it's likely the Commercial Commissioner decided to keep it at 2.  Not sure who he consulted in making the decision though.

3 hours ago, weta27 said:

To give OR more time to work on their boat.  Come on!!!

16 minutes ago, Enzedel92 said:

To give OR more time to work on their boat.  Come on!!!

I hope so! ;-)

For the sake of the European teams I hope the Muricans win. It would make it so much easier for the French, Brits and Swedes to be back next time, to have an ACWS and a YAC Which I think could contribute greatly to the popularity of our sports among latent sailing enthousiasts. (If they take their broadcasting policy out of the dark ages..)

All this talk about USA having unfair advantages (not just by fans, but also by the ETNZ "leadership") just make me think that this is something precious that NZ would like to get their fingers on and milk to the last drop, instead of building on the positive things of this concept has given sailing.

14 minutes ago, Van Schakel said:

All this talk about USA having unfair advantages (not just by fans, but also by the ETNZ "leadership") just make me think that this is something precious that NZ would like to get their fingers on and milk to the last drop, instead of building on the positive things of this concept has given sailing.

Ok name me the positives really cause it ain't bringing in the crowds, or the ratings, so it's obviously not working, gee I think when it was raced in mono's they had better ratings this thing about RC and Elison being the savior of the AC is a load of croc.  The sooner the damn cup is out of Elisons hands then maybe we will see a better format. 

17 hours ago, LoopyGirdleSniffer said:

No sailing just isn't a TV friendly sport and all the attempts to make it so are ultimately in the long run going to fail.  It's a participation sport. 

To many weird confusing rules for normal people.  Not terribly exciting to watch either as a non-sailor.  With the wide angle shots despite the fact the boats are doing 30-40 knots they still look slow.  

That being said I'm glad it's being broadcast.  I just don't think it's a sustainable dream to bring sailing to TV

Well, Not among my friends. This is exactly the point I've been rambling on about! Last AC I got about 10 of my friends who don't consider themselves sailors to watch on Youtube and enjoy this stuff and understand it. They started looking for puffs, talked about VMG, tacks, gybes.. Just like they talk about Formula 1 or Football.

Not that they can do it, but they can understand some basic mechanics as they are presented to them.

When this can happen at scale, and I must believe it can, It could be a great thing for sailing as a sport. 

Breeze is now struggling to get above 10k average so with 3 hours to go don't expect to see the. pressure increase in the afternoon that occured yesterday. Min to Max might be in the 6 - 13k range so will be pretty tricky out there. 

43 minutes ago, DevsNzL said:

Ok name me the positives really cause it ain't bringing in the crowds, or the ratings, so it's obviously not working, gee I think when it was raced in mono's they had better ratings this thing about RC and Elison being the savior of the AC is a load of croc.  The sooner the damn cup is out of Oracles hands then maybe we will see a better format. 

Look right above this post mate.. This is why I keep believing.

On the ratings, Im totally with you. Selling the tv right the old fashioned way was the dumbest thing've done. should've teamed up with Youtube again.  If they want this concept to grow (I still believe in it's potential because of what I've seen happening at home) they should truly get it to the masses for free.

What I do love about it though are the graphic overlays they introduced in the last AC. It makes it easy to understand for non sailors. The racing not stretching out for hours and hours also helps. But then again, people also watch Formula 1 and cycling.. So that might just be a thing to figure out.

The speed of these boats helps. Speed often makes a sport more watchable. mostly because it tends to make stuff more dramatic (that overused word from the last AC, but not untrue).

If we want to see crowds, And I really do, The Cup could be one of the greatest events to promote sailing. Thats how I see the AC not an event I can ever race in myself, but as a source of entertainment for the masses, educating them on sailing.

Wouldn't it be awesome so have crowds for sailing events like they have in France (start of the vendee Globe) and NZ around the world?

14 hours ago, jaysper said:

For all of KR's achievements, his commentary has been rather uninsightful. He does not need to try and (poorly) explain VMG every race. A commentator is supposed to elaborate on what we can't see, not talk about what we can conclude ouselves. I was also unimpressed by his Monday morning flight home quip. None of us expected a clean sweep, damn, I'm not sure we'll win till after we win. Then he withdrew it like a 7 year old asking to take back his move in chess because it check-mated him.

Get NO and IP on there- both are articulate speakers who tell us what we don't know and can't see. I for one, would love to hear Peter Montgomery's voice if we win. It's etched into the fabric of NZ sport and culture.

Front page for the full Murray/Slater briefing, including analysis of the penalties yesterday.  Spithills OCS was a long way OCS - 1.2 seconds, according to IM.

1 minute ago, MR.CLEAN said:

PJM is on the radio i think.  he's here, doing something on a mic!

Mr Clean, would love to hear you thoughts about today.

13 minutes ago, NZL5 said:

For all of KR's achievements, his commentary has been rather uninsightful. He does not need to try and (poorly) explain VMG every race. A commentator is supposed to elaborate on what we can't see, not talk about what we can conclude ouselves. I was also unimpressed by his Monday morning flight home quip. None of us expected a clean sweep, damn, I'm not sure we'll win till after we win. Then he withdrew it like a 7 year old asking to take back his move in chess because it check-mated him.

Get NO and IP on there- both are articulate speakers who tell us what we don't know and can't see. I for one, would love to hear Peter Montgomery's voice if we win. It's etched into the fabric of NZ sport and culture.

I'm with you. I would also love to hear Percy's take on matters but as he's about to be a father he's focusing on the important stuff. 

1 hour ago, Van Schakel said:

For the sake of the European teams I hope the Muricans win. It would make it so much easier for the French, Brits and Swedes to be back next time, to have an ACWS and a YAC

Probably true. But now all the European teams are gone, I am hoping for an ETNZ win. Wussell-vision has just squeezed all the eccentric joy out of it.

PS would a moth beat an AC50 around the course?

They seem to have a tacking angle like a hobie 16

46 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Front page for the full Murray/Slater briefing, including analysis of the penalties yesterday.  Spithills OCS was a long way OCS - 1.2 seconds, according to IM.

So what's zappening now?

I just wanted to blow smoke and say thank you to everybody on here yesterday with the fresh live racing updates ! I know the racing is fast and you're typing fast, but all of the real time info that you throw up on here, is being duly received. I'm up here in washington state with my iPhone, well yesterday I was trying to watch live on a computer, but as you all know, I wasn't able to watch shit ! Because I'm a non-subscription paying lazy American. Today I'm chasing it with my iPhone, I think I saw it somewhere online yesterday about download a live racing app, is this true? If any of you could point me in that direction I'd appreciate it ! Now all that being said, go ETNZ

19 minutes ago, scottyMO said:

I just wanted to blow smoke and say thank you to everybody on here yesterday with the fresh live racing updates ! I know the racing is fast and you're typing fast, but all of the real time info that you throw up on here, is being duly received. I'm up here in washington state with my iPhone, well yesterday I was trying to watch live on a computer, but as you all know, I wasn't able to watch shit ! Because I'm a non-subscription paying lazy American. Today I'm chasing it with my iPhone, I think I saw it somewhere online yesterday about download a live racing app, is this true? If any of you could point me in that direction I'd appreciate it ! Now all that being said, go ETNZ

Why don't you try one of the pirate streams?

1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

Breeze is now struggling to get above 10k average so with 3 hours to go don't expect to see the. pressure increase in the afternoon that occured yesterday. Min to Max might be in the 6 - 13k range so will be pretty tricky out there. 

15 minutes ago, PabloAU said:

So latest & greatest on the weather there???? 30 odd min to go,.......

This above still the case...and your an hour out

Time required to recover TV remote from "She who should be obey'd but seldom is", recover chair from the household animals & get ready for another Cardio stress test.....

9 minutes ago, PabloAU said:

Time required to recover TV remote from "She who should be obey'd but seldom is", recover chair from the household animals & get ready for another Cardio stress test.....

LOL

10 hours ago, Indio said:

Spinbot's herpes infection has completely destroyed what little objectivity he had...now he's just a robotic shill for anything OR-XEROX...

He's nervous, he will have to start looking for a job, or perhaps doesn't like the taste of new boots

11 minutes ago, generative.design said:

The breeze has picked up ever so slightly all morning, it's now back to almost the same values as yesterday, perhaps about 1k less and a little less puffy:

http://www.weather.bm/tools/graphics.asp?name=PEARL ISLAND GRAPH

Thanks for this mate - hmmm less shifty...... going to be real interesting..... Who's got port entry ETNZ? for the 1st race.....

59 minutes ago, Sailabout said:

PS would a moth beat an AC50 around the course?

They seem to have a tacking angle like a hobie 16

Great question. 

11 minutes ago, PabloAU said:

Thanks for this mate - hmmm less shifty...... going to be real interesting..... Who's got port entry ETNZ? for the 1st race.....

Yes

1 hour ago, scottyMO said:

Dude,

go to your local sports bar as an early bird and ask them to put on NBC.

Yesterday was a roll of the dice

No boat is faster than one in right place at any Givin moment

GAWD haz a SICK Fucking sence of Humor & Bets too 

He will make Bank when TNZ wraps it up on Monday

Is robinwidget working today?

Well here we go again, ETNZ no mistakes and you got this