• Announcements

    • Zapata

      Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

      Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Cal20sailor

Favorite TV Comedy Moments

Recommended Posts

I have many and would like to hear yours.  Lucy show where they try to eat the candy they can't wrap quick enough, the driver's test on Taxi, Sammy Davis Jr kissing Archie, etc.  

 

My favorite is WKRP in Cincinnati where Les Nessman (with the band aid on) does a Turkey drop to celebrate Thanksgiving not realizing that Turkeys don't fly.  I lost it when it first aired.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

I have many and would like to hear yours.  Lucy show where they try to eat the candy they can't wrap quick enough, the driver's test on Taxi, Sammy Davis Jr kissing Archie, etc.  

 

My favorite is WKRP in Cincinnati where Les Nessman (with the band aid on) does a Turkey drop to celebrate Thanksgiving not realizing that Turkeys don't fly.  I lost it when it first aired.  

That was a classic. A more recent one is Season 2, Episode 4 of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia titled "Mac Bangs Dennis' Mom". I'm not a devoted fan of the show as it's a bit uneven but that episode was a masterpiece. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not really comedies but very funny scenes in dramas -

Hill Street Blues when Renko is trying to get the rustled cow out of the top of a tenement building by helicopter and the sling breaks and drops the cow from 500 feet onto the hood of a passing car. The cars driver being interviewed by the TV news crew was priceless.

Law & Order with Max and Logan on a stakeout talking about Logans' date the night before;

"So I wake up to barking"

"This one has a dog"?

"I wish - she said it was roaches"

"Roaches that bark"?

"That's what I said - she said the exterminator was a bust so she got a Gecko, some sort of Gila monster thing"

"And it eats roaches"?

"Down to the last drop......barks when it's hungry"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

For a show the carol burnett show. For a one time deal its got to be robin wiliams and jonathan winters on the johnny carson show.

Google George Goebell (sp?) and Dean Martin on the Tonight Show, off the hook gold. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jesus, you guys are old!  I don't feel so bad now.  :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

George was the kind. You know I heard when alice cooper was first getting big with his show that all those old vaudville guys in la would see his show. Burns, jack benny, groucho etc. They loved it. Modern vaudville. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, IStream said:

That was a classic. A more recent one is Season 2, Episode 4 of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia titled "Mac Bangs Dennis' Mom". I'm not a devoted fan of the show as it's a bit uneven but that episode was a masterpiece. 

I'm 14 minutes in and just dyin'!

:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Sportboat Jeff said:

Jesus, you guys are old!  I don't feel so bad now.  :P

But you grew up with Reagan, so there. ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

But you grew up with Reagan, so there. ;-)

Yeah, in HS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bud from Married with Children when caught by Al drilling a spy hole in Kelly's bedroom wall.

"I'm drilling a home entertainment system"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

I have many and would like to hear yours.  Lucy show where they try to eat the candy they can't wrap quick enough, the driver's test on Taxi, Sammy Davis Jr kissing Archie, etc.  

 

My favorite is WKRP in Cincinnati where Les Nessman (with the band aid on) does a Turkey drop to celebrate Thanksgiving not realizing that Turkeys don't fly.  I lost it when it first aired.  

 

 

Bridgette, is that you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Modern Family, the Godfather spoof episode had me gasping for air laughing. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

any number of scenes from sienfeld.  just this week i watched the episode where kramer aquires a chicken for a pet which is actually a rooster which he calls little jerry who ends up involved in a cock fighting ring.  when his next oponent is a ringer rooster (he's 68 and 0) flown in from equador, kramer recoils in horror and says "that looks like a dog with a glove on his head".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Already hit a bunch of faves - to add another old one Steve Martin "The Fly" on Tonight Show

new "Brockmire" Hank Azaria is fucking hilarious. It's on IFC and really need to watch from E1. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not just the words, but the delivery as well.

Like others, many from Seinfeld, and I agree with the "slow down" driver's test on Taxi (below, starting at 4:00) - classic.

And for younger folks, Penny's Christmas gift to Sheldon is my favorite moment from The Big Bang Theory (though you'd have to know the characters and the setup).

I'll add several from M*A*S*H, highlighting my favorite:

Hawkeye Pierce: "I will not carry a gun, Frank. When I got thrown into this war I had a clear understanding with the Pentagon: no guns. I'll carry your books, I'll carry a torch, I'll carry a tune, I'll carry on, carry over, carry forward, Cary Grant, cash and carry, carry me back to Old Virginia, I'll even 'hari kari' if you show me how, but I will not carry a gun!"

Henry Blake: "Frank, whatever it is, just write it down and put it on my desk where I can't find it."

Radar: "They aren't gonna like this."
Frank Burns: "I didn't come here to be liked."
Radar: "You certainly came to the right place."

Charles: "Know this. You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."
Potter: "You know, I think he's getting the hang of this place."

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TV quit being truly funny after the 70s for the most part. 

Carol Burnett, All in the Family, MASH, Bob Newhart, Mary Tyler Moore, the original Saturday Night Live...that stuff was funny by virtue of wit and subtlety, as opposed to today's offerings...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've heard a lot of people of different ages talk well of Big Bang Theory mentioned above. I have yet to see it but it's on the list. I bing watch series and mostly detective stuff but one of these days I'll get to Big Bang.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I confess to laughing out loud every time I heard, "this is my brother darryl and this is my other brother darryl."  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My better half loves Big Bang. Will watch reruns even. I enjoy it sometimes for the geek humor but am to the point where laff tracks are just so f'ning loud I find it very annoying.  I recently binge watched the first 7 of Brockmire and it is very raunchy, obscene and NSFW or anything else but I laughed my ass off.  Amanda Peet is hot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Max Rockatansky said:

TV quit being truly funny after the 70s for the most part. 

Carol Burnett, All in the Family, MASH, Bob Newhart, Mary Tyler Moore, the original Saturday Night Live...that stuff was funny by virtue of wit and subtlety, as opposed to today's offerings...

subtelltey, sarcasem, and lisseneng our oute of fassione.

C'ueste la vee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Barney Miller when Wojo's girlfriend baked hash brownies for the squad. Yemana dunking his in his coffee going "mooshie, mooshie, mosshie".

Lou Grant wearing his gift yellow & black striped sweater - "I look like a bumblebee" - and he DID.

Lou Grant telling Mary that she had spunk.

"Well, yes, I guess I do"

"I hate spunk"

Lenny Brisco on L&O typing an arrest report

"Date of birth"?

"July 22nd"

"What year"?

"Every year - don't you cops gotta take some sorta IQ test or sumthin"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Barney Miller when Wojo's girlfriend baked hash brownies for the squad. Yemana dunking his in his coffee going "mooshie, mooshie, mosshie".

Lou Grant wearing his gift yellow & black striped sweater - "I look like a bumblebee" - and he DID.

Lou Grant telling Mary that she had spunk.

"Well, yes, I guess I do"

"I hate spunk"

Lenny Brisco on L&O typing an arrest report

"Date of birth"?

"July 22nd"

"What year"?

"Every year - don't you cops gotta take some sorta IQ test or sumthin"?

My favorite MTM episode was when she had a dinner party.  Lou says something about being hungry and takes three servings of the entree.  Mr Grant, can I talk with you in the other room?  I made six servings, there are six people here.  He goes back to the table and puts two servings back saying that he wasn't as hungry as he thought. 

The clown funeral still makes me laugh.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Magnum is sleeping in after a night of bailing out Higgins and preventing Robin Masters embarrassing press. A buzzing wakes Magnum, one eye at a time. Magnum gets up, grabs a shot gun and steps out the door. As Higgins stands rapt, fingures sliding small levers on the radio, Magnum shoots the RC airplane out of the sky and goes back to bed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, warbird said:

Magnum is sleeping in after a night of bailing out Higgins and preventing Robin Masters embarrassing press. A buzzing wakes Magnum, one eye at a time. Magnum gets up, grabs a shot gun and steps out the door. As Higgins stands rapt, fingures sliding small levers on the radio, Magnum shoots the RC airplane out of the sky and goes back to bed.

I had a total crush on Tom Selleck in High School. I remember that episode. 

D'ranger I know what you mean about loud laugh tracks, so off putting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mark K said:

Black comedy....but still priceless comedy. Breaking bad bathtub scene. 

 

 

That was a great scene. It was a shame they dialed back the black comedy to basically zero in that show - the early episodes had some great stuff. The bullet holes in the door of the motorhome - coming from the INSIDE. :D

"Crazy Handful of Nothing" was my favourite episode - when Walt blows up Tucos' office with fulminated mercury that they think is meth. The windows, AC unit etc. falling on the bikers outside.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

That was a great scene. It was a shame they dialed back the black comedy to basically zero in that show - the early episodes had some great stuff. The bullet holes in the door of the motorhome - coming from the INSIDE. :D

"Crazy Handful of Nothing" was my favourite episode - when Walt blows up Tucos' office with fulminated mercury that they think is meth. The windows, AC unit etc. falling on the bikers outside.

Right at the end they had the scene at the owner of Grey Matter's house...so they know their game. Maybe just couldn't figure a way to wrap it up without it getting real real dark. I think the place to have ended it was with Hank on the pot myself. 

 

 Anywho...and old skool comedy gem many haven't seen.

 

 

  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Sportboat Jeff said:

Yeah, in HS.

Jesus you are old. Reagan wasn't elected until I was in college.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, sailingk8 said:

I've heard a lot of people of different ages talk well of Big Bang Theory mentioned above. I have yet to see it but it's on the list. I bing watch series and mostly detective stuff but one of these days I'll get to Big Bang.

I watched one episode. I found it...not very entertaining. I couldn't bring myself even to watch a second one, I thought the first one was so lame. Then again, I'm not really a fan of apartment comedy sitcoms.

I did watch a some snippets of it on youtube with the laugh tracks taken out. Very...enlightening.

Just my $.02, obviously a lot of people like the show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Max Rockatansky said:

TV quit being truly funny after the 70s for the most part. 

Carol Burnett, All in the Family, MASH, Bob Newhart, Mary Tyler Moore, the original Saturday Night Live...that stuff was funny by virtue of wit and subtlety, as opposed to today's offerings...

Some of those Carol Burnet shows, where they are trying so hard not to lose it, that becomes almost as funny as the skit. Tin Conway as the slow little shuffling old man serving an impatient Harvey Korman were some of the funniest.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some of the best TV comedy came from the UK - "Chef" with Lenny Henry as the cranky chef of a country hotel was great. The bumbling assistant Everton trying to explain how the lobsters for the dinner special "legged it" out of the kitchen. Or Chef in his wifes' E-Type with two rounds of bootleg unpasteurized Stilton being pulled over by the police, not for the cheese as he thought, but because the farmer was growing weed as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Some of the best TV comedy came from the UK - "Chef" with Lenny Henry as the cranky chef of a country hotel was great. The bumbling assistant Everton trying to explain how the lobsters for the dinner special "legged it" out of the kitchen. Or Chef in his wifes' E-Type with two rounds of bootleg unpasteurized Stilton being pulled over by the police, not for the cheese as he thought, but because the farmer was growing weed as well.

Fawlty Towers...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, B.J. Porter said:

Fawlty Towers...

Farty Towels...

Flowery Twats...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Some of the best TV comedy came from the UK - "Chef" with Lenny Henry as the cranky chef of a country hotel was great. The bumbling assistant Everton trying to explain how the lobsters for the dinner special "legged it" out of the kitchen. Or Chef in his wifes' E-Type with two rounds of bootleg unpasteurized Stilton being pulled over by the police, not for the cheese as he thought, but because the farmer was growing weed as well.

Chef was very funny.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/26/2017 at 8:17 PM, sailingk8 said:

I had a total crush on Tom Selleck in High School. I remember that episode. 

D'ranger I know what you mean about loud laugh tracks, so off putting.

That scene is edited out of reruns for time constraints. I hab enough of a likeness to Seleck that a resort operator (80 and mostly blind) always wrote our fishing trip bill out to "SeleckParty".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, warbird said:

That scene is edited out of reruns for time constraints. I hab enough of a likeness to Seleck that a resort operator (80 and mostly blind) always wrote our fishing trip bill out to "SeleckParty".

Do you look like him now? ;)

I always looked forward Magnum P.I.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, sailingk8 said:

Do you look like him now? ;)

I always looked forward Magnum P.I.

No, too grey, too heavy:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a dog eat dog world out there - and I'm wearing milk bone underwear

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When Donald Trump was inaugurated, and he turned back to look at his adoring wife and said "I Told you it was real, you scum sucking douche bag!" And then he turns back, and Melania's face just collapses in on it's self.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Re-watching Frasier from start to finish.   Smart and and laugh out loud funny . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, derelicte said:

jezza's review of the reliant robin. 

Hilarious - especially when he rolled it in the background of the TV announcers'  report. :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, chester said:

Watching faulty towers, the rat and the health inspector

Is not rat, is hamster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, derelicte said:

jezza's review of the reliant robin. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/30/2017 at 0:50 PM, chester said:

Watching fawlty towers, the rat and the health inspector

How could you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The funniest Fish moment was when Barney reminded him that yesterday was his wife's birthday.

The next scene Fish is on the phone "Hello - day old bakery? Whattya got lying around that says "Happy Birthday Bernice"? :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The hash episode was great. Yemana: " What do you say we guys go down to the beach, and shoot some clams? "

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this