• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Rudder_NZ

Race Replays

885 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, JaySea said:

Very, Very, grateful you are uploading to the Google Drive.  Spent way too much time trying to understand the viewing options, This is a huge help.

Noticed the request to use torrent, can someone explain how to do that?

Rudder_NZ, what an absolute champ. I can just point my pay-tv-agnostic friends here and they're as happy as larry barry. 

29 minutes ago, JaySea said:

Noticed the request to use torrent, can someone explain how to do that?

It's fairly simple, you need a torrent client qbittorrent is what I use there are plenty of others of them pretty much do the same thing more or less, in this instance here you would download the .torrent file (tiny in size) and then either double click it or open it with your torrent client software you choose.

1 hour ago, Rudder_NZ said:

Unfortunately I as it is 5am when the racing is on I like to watch in bed so my laptop can only handle the quality you see in the ETNZ race (About 500MB for the 15-20 minutes). I will start recording all races at that higher quality. Previously I was only doing it for the ETNZ races as I want to keep those. 
Come the AC finals I will be watching on my PC which should be able to handle the 1080 stream but at 1GB per minute I will need to convert to an mp4 before I upload it which may take some time. 

Sounds like we're in the same time zone :) leave it to the kiwis to fix everything..

27 minutes ago, InnerVoid said:

It's fairly simple, you need a torrent client qbittorrent is what I use there are plenty of others of them pretty much do the same thing more or less, in this instance here you would download the .torrent file (tiny in size) and then either double click it or open it with your torrent client software you choose.

Sounds like we're in the same time zone :) leave it to the kiwis to fix everything..

Thanks InnerVoid,

I found 'torrentopener' on Cnet (which I sort of trust) and installed it.  I downloaded today's ACQualDay4.torrent file, used the Browse button on Torrent Opener to select it. I clicked on the Select button and It gave me this:

(see next post)

It's been 'waiting' for a long time, and seems to indicate there are only two files . . . ?

Can anyone explain what is happening here?

Sorry, I couldn't figure out how to embed the image. I used snip, cntr-C, cntr-V and it looked like it embedded, but it disappeared as soon as I posted it.  The file is attached.

Torrent opener.JPG

50 minutes ago, JaySea said:

Sorry, I couldn't figure out how to embed the image. I used snip, cntr-C, cntr-V and it looked like it embedded, but it disappeared as soon as I posted it.  The file is attached.

Torrent opener.JPG

Not entirely sure what I'm looking at as I don't use that software, but from the looks it's just waiting on the seeds to respond;
592e00474106b_2017-05-3111_28_46-qBittorrentv3.3_12.thumb.png.0c8c25b02c3cc1eda0d53b6195d909e8.png
Of which you've got more than enough, and I'll probably only drop seeding until Qualifiers are over and done with, that is if ETNZ can stop giving me bloody heart attacks otherwise I might be downloading from a cloud or hospital bed. :)

3 hours ago, Rudder_NZ said:

Unfortunately I as it is 5am when the racing is on I like to watch in bed so my laptop can only handle the quality you see in the ETNZ race (About 500MB for the 15-20 minutes). I will start recording all races at that higher quality. Previously I was only doing it for the ETNZ races as I want to keep those. 
Come the AC finals I will be watching on my PC which should be able to handle the 1080 stream but at 1GB per minute I will need to convert to an mp4 before I upload it which may take some time. 

Torrent working great, thanks so much for doing this. The torrent download is so much neater and less fiddly to deal with than Google Drive. The 720p encodes are definitely the way forward. Same quality as the top tier San Francisco youTube videos were. I watched a couple of the 200MB 576p rips last night on the big screen and yeah, the quality just isn't there. It's all blurry and too much detail is lost. Drop the 576p encodes and standardise on 720p if you can.

Going up to 1080p is probably asking for a lot of trouble to be honest. Once you go that big, as you say you're going to have to do an extra generation of h264 compression before you can share and even then the files will be huge like minimum 4GB/hr, Furthermore, you'll run into people complaining they can't play them or have to re-encode them themselves because a lot of older PVR's won't play 1080p content beyond h264 encoder level 3.2 or 4.0 at the very most and if you limit the encoder level for maximum compatibility, then that in turn limits how much smaller you can make the files.

Having said all that, I can't believe how backwards the AC organisers have gone in coverage since San Francisco. I thought as time went on and technologies got better, that things like watching live sporting events from anywhere in the world were supposed to get easier, not harder? It seems to me, the organisers this time around have put in 10x as much effort stopping people from watching the races as they have enabling viewership. Honestly the lengths taken to prevent people watching are quite staggering. Unprecedented I would think. Not even the joke that is professional boxing goes this far to stop people watching their big name matches like the Antony Joshua vs Wladimir Klitschko bout at Wembley Stadium!

Rudder_NZ, so grateful for your early morning downloads..... I've been getting home from work to find them to catch up on the days sailing. Absolutely brilliant!! Canadian's don't seem to care about or even know the America's Cup is happening. 
Alas, I'm not smart enough to know how to help with seeding - but would love to contribute somehow. (I did manage to download to my google drive)

Just now, tui said:

Rudder_NZ, so grateful for your early morning downloads..... I've been getting home from work to find them to catch up on the days sailing. Absolutely brilliant!! Canadian's don't seem to care about or even know the America's Cup is happening. 
Alas, I'm not smart enough to know how to help with seeding - but would love to contribute somehow. (I did manage to download to my google drive)

Glad to hear people are enjoying the replays. It is good having the combination of google drive and torrents. The tech savvy can torrent and those who want a simple solution can use Drive.

1 minute ago, Rudder_NZ said:

Glad to hear people are enjoying the replays. It is good having the combination of google drive and torrents. The tech savvy can torrent and those who want a simple solution can use Drive.

Appreciate your work.

Hey Rudder_NZ - I can't thank you enough for doing this for us. It's just unbelievable that it's just so difficult to be able to see coverage of one of sailings most premier sailing events.

I don't need to get up at 3am to watch racing so am happy with replays (it's not hard to avoid the results as there is very little media coverage here in Oz) so for the ACEA to not even have a decent replay option is just the height of arrogance. 

So many people I speak to have a passing interest in the racing due to the impression the boats are making but for there to be no easy way for them to watch via the internet is just stupid especially if one of your aims to to increase the profile of the event!!

19 minutes ago, TeamLeader said:

Having said all that, I can't believe how backwards the AC organisers have gone in coverage since San Francisco. I thought as time went on and technologies got better, that things like watching live sporting events from anywhere in the world were supposed to get easier, not harder? It seems to me, the organisers this time around have put in 10x as much effort stopping people from watching the races as they have enabling viewership. Honestly the lengths taken to prevent people watching are quite staggering. Unprecedented I would think. Not even the joke that is professional boxing goes this far to stop people watching their big name matches like the Antony Joshua vs Wladimir Klitschko bout at Wembley Stadium!

Isn't it insane!! Especially for North America.... they make this giant farce about how they want to encourage the next generation of sailers - but how will they know about it if they can't watch? We had some American friends staying with us during the San Fran races and they got hooked - watched everything when they got home. This year they can't even watch. How to loose new fans of the sport. 

Very disappointing. 

6 minutes ago, Inshallah said:

...there is very little ZERO media coverage here in Oz) so for the ACEA to not even have a decent replay option is just the height of arrogance.

I fixed that for you :P

Mind you, if it doesn't rate like State of Origin here, the media just ignores it completely. SOP. This last weekend there was the Indy 500, the Monaco F1 GP, the FA Cup final and the start of the America's Cup. I couldn't find even the slightest passing mention of the AC on any mainstream media at all. The ABC didn't cover the Monaco GP at all either. Some of the tabloid trash commercial channels mentioned it when Daniel Ricciardo got third, but you got the very strong impression they were only mentioning it for that reason alone. FA Cup final was mentioned on the host broadcaster here, SBS, but nowhere else and if Scott Dixon hadn't tried to launch his car into orbit at the Indy 500, that wouldn't have got a mention either. Indeed, as it was that was the only thing that happened they did bother covering!

Mind you, on the plus side we did get extensive coverage of who broke a fingernail and who got some new blonde tip hghlights at AFL training this week... so y'know, swings & roundabouts. B)

Well the Chapelle Corby coming home news doesn't leave much room for anything else :angry: (unless that is only a QLD thing).

Having grown up in NZ I was very surprised when I got here to find that the sports news was very selective and the sports covered varied greatly dependent on the channel!! God help you if you follow a 'minority' sport like the World Rally Championship or want to know how other national teams may be going if AU is not involved!!

BTW - the BAR/TF crash did make some free to air news!!!!!!! Crashes and scandal - that's what is considered news worthy here!!!!!!

11 minutes ago, Inshallah said:

God help you if you follow a 'minority' sport like the World Rally Championship or want to know how other national teams may be going if AU is not involved!!

The "World Rally..." what? Is that still a 'thing'? Australian media stopped covering that entirely when all the teams pulled out post GFC and they neutered all the cars down to what are they now? 1.1 litre econobox hatchbacks with hairdryers attached putting out almost enough power to pull the skin off a rice pudding?

I'm finding more and more that if you actually want to find out what's happening in the world beyond the local football ground in Australia, you need to be reading Stuff.co.nz and BBC News. Oz is beyond hopeless.

22 minutes ago, Inshallah said:

Having grown up in NZ I was very surprised when I got here to find that the sports news was very selective and the sports covered varied greatly dependent on the channel!!

Be careful what you wish for though! Do you really want to go back to 24hr rugby union coverage interrupted only by updates on the local Sheep Dog trial results and the 2-tooth lamb prices at the auctions?

Nice .... nothing wrong with a bit of good 2-tooth ... especially boiled with white sauce and capers 

Nice work on the uploads Rudder-NZ ... it is great to actually see a whole race

57 minutes ago, tui said:

Isn't it insane!! Especially for North America.... they make this giant farce about how they want to encourage the next generation of sailers - but how will they know about it if they can't watch? We had some American friends staying with us during the San Fran races and they got hooked - watched everything when they got home. This year they can't even watch. How to loose new fans of the sport. 

Very disappointing. 

I finally figured out that (maybe) I can watch it live here in San Francisco on NBC Sports . . .  that is if my infinity cable package includes NBC Sports . . .

I'm going to try to tune in tomorrow, but I think watching what Rudder is providing us is going to be better.

4 hours ago, Rudder_NZ said:

I very quickly hit the daily google drive limit so you have to get in early or use the torrent.
If you find you cannot download from google drive you can click the add to your drive in the top right then download or watch from your own google drive. 

Mate cannot thank you enough! I'm watching your replays all the way from India! Just on holiday atm from NZ. MUCH APPRECIATED!

3 hours ago, InnerVoid said:

Not entirely sure what I'm looking at as I don't use that software, but from the looks it's just waiting on the seeds to respond;
592e00474106b_2017-05-3111_28_46-qBittorrentv3.3_12.thumb.png.0c8c25b02c3cc1eda0d53b6195d909e8.png
Of which you've got more than enough, and I'll probably only drop seeding until Qualifiers are over and done with, that is if ETNZ can stop giving me bloody heart attacks otherwise I might be downloading from a cloud or hospital bed. :)

Thanks for including your snip - I've downloaded qBittorrent v3.3.12 and it appears to be downloading

19 minutes ago, JaySea said:

Thanks for including your snip - I've downloaded qBittorrent v3.3.12 and it appears to be downloading

Excellent news, just in case... and for anyone else too I guess, it might be wise to download http://www.videolan.org/ as the video files are .ts and I've not seen that format before but VLC handled it without skipping a step, and it's freeware too.

5 minutes ago, InnerVoid said:

Excellent news, just in case... and for anyone else too I guess, it might be wise to download http://www.videolan.org/ as the video files are .ts and I've not seen that format before but VLC handled it without skipping a step, and it's freeware too.

The TS extension just means Transport Stream, the wrapper container format the broadcaster uses to transmit them. Inside the TS wrapper, they are just normal garden variety MP4 files encoded with AVC for video and AAC for audio just the same as every other MP4 you've ever encountered. Don't be scared by the TS extension you haven't seen before.

If you want to save a little filesize and make them even more compatible for players that kick up a fuss playing TS extensions, just run them through Avidemux (free software) by Open | Output Format = MP4 Muxer | Save and you'll get a perfect lossless (no re-encoding conversion), MP4 version in a couple of seconds that literally any player will handle perfectly well.

14 minutes ago, InnerVoid said:

Can confirm VLC is great. TS is an MPEG format used for streaming. It should work on most good video players and some that aren't so good. 

For those looking for torrent clients, i recommend Transmission. Its lightweight and FOSS and is the default torrent client included in most Linux distros.

https://transmissionbt.com/

2 hours ago, Rudder_NZ said:

Everything seamless, cheers, n cheers again.

2 minutes ago, ians said:

For those looking for torrent clients, i recommend Transmission. Its lightweight and FOSS and is the default torrent client included in most Linux distros.

Thanks for that. Looks good. I'm still using μTorrent 2.2.1 here as the last version that was still genuinely free and not bloated with built-in advertising sponsor crap. Still works, but it's thoroughly ancient by now, even if completely annoyance free.

1 hour ago, Inshallah said:

Well the Chapelle Corby coming home news doesn't leave much room for anything else :angry: (unless that is only a QLD thing).

Having grown up in NZ I was very surprised when I got here to find that the sports news was very selective and the sports covered varied greatly dependent on the channel!! God help you if you follow a 'minority' sport like the World Rally Championship or want to know how other national teams may be going if AU is not involved!!

BTW - the BAR/TF crash did make some free to air news!!!!!!! Crashes and scandal - that's what is considered news worthy here!!!!!!

Schappelle Corby is wonderful huh :D

FANtasic! 

Thanks Rudder_NZ et al.

Sad your out of pocket, let us know if there's a way to chip in.

1 hour ago, jaysper said:

Schappelle Corby is wonderful huh :D

Corby.jpg

10 minutes ago, random said:

Corby.jpg

That's just beautiful!

Her whole family was a bit dodge weren't they?

22 hours ago, Rudder_NZ said:

Ok guys. Torrent for days 2 and 3 is here. I would be grateful if you could help me seed this. 

ACQualDay2&3.torrent

LEGEND, MATE!

Very international mix to the swarms which is cool. I up'ed over 10Gb for the day 3 file so popular as well. A lot more high speed seeds today so props OP and peeps. B)

2 hours ago, ians said:

+100

10 minutes ago, Man Overboard said:

Very international mix to the swarms which is cool. I up'ed over 10Gb for the day 3 file so popular as well. A lot more high speed seeds today so props OP and peeps. B)

I'll keep at seeding it until my internet falls off the planet, it's sort of a rebel middle finger for it not being free to air here in New Zealand.

3 hours ago, Rudder_NZ said:

Can confirm VLC is great. TS is an MPEG format used for streaming. It should work on most good video players and some that aren't so good. 

Shit Rudder, what a bloody ripper.

Here I am stuck in Fiji and not able to see the bleedin' races. 'cept now I can.

Chur Bro. Kia

Very international indeed based on who I have been seeding to. With the S3 hosting and torrent seeding I have done there has been over 700GB of traffic. I imagine many people used the google drive files on top of the other traffic so it is great so many people are getting into the racing. 

4 races to come tomorrow so the torrent should be up around 7.30am NZ time. 

Thanks Rudder_NZ -- I just have the in-laws skygo login so nice to be able to replay or watch what I missed.  I have a Gbit seedbox with a TB of storage, so will keep seeding.  Been taking a long time for the torrents to start, but hopefully they will come through....otherwise using the add to drive trick to try to keep your download usage down.

22 hours ago, jcow001 said:

Bought the $99 fanpass and then realised can't actually watch replays after work! Thanks for posting, would offer to have your children ... but that would be weird right?

I think you can - they are available to reply up to about 24hours later I think

I've got the fanpass too ($99, ye gods), and I get a little blue play button to the right of the 0500 scheduled show for this morning (but not yesterday morning)

So you should be good to watch it

8 minutes ago, ianz said:

I think you can - they are available to reply up to about 24hours later I think

I've got the fanpass too ($99, ye gods), and I get a little blue play button to the right of the 0500 scheduled show for this morning (but not yesterday morning)

So you should be good to watch it

The funny thing is that if sky didn't put their price up just before the AC and remove the option for weekly passes I would have purchased fanpass. And if that was the case then I wouldn't be posting the replays on here. 

43 minutes ago, Rudder_NZ said:

Can't wait! You are a dead set rock-god!

yes Sky has done themselves no favours  .... but be happy to help you out if there is a way so that you are not out of pocket ... 

54 minutes ago, Rudder_NZ said:

Just signed up to say thank you for the great torrents :lol:

45 minutes ago, wetstuff said:

Just signed up to say thank you for the great torrents :lol:

Seems like there have been a few members because of this thread. Aiming for all 720p videos tomorrow but that is dependant on the source stream handling the load. 

35 minutes ago, Rudder_NZ said:

Aiming for all 720p videos tomorrow but that is dependant on the source stream handling the load. 

Looking forward to it Rudders. Can I make one small request/suggestion please? If the stream drops out mid-record for whatever reason and you have to stop/restart mid-broadcast and thereby end up with a part 1 + part 2 scenario as per the day 2 recordings, could you please do your best to not change the resolution between part 1 + part 2?

A part 1 + part 2 result is not the end of the world and is definitely better than nothing. As long as they're the same resolution they can easily be joined back together again afterwards. But different resolutions can't without full-on re-encoding of one of the parts to match the other.

2 hours ago, Rudder_NZ said:

Very international indeed based on who I have been seeding to. With the S3 hosting and torrent seeding I have done there has been over 700GB of traffic. I imagine many people used the google drive files on top of the other traffic so it is great so many people are getting into the racing. 

:( lagging behind here on an upstream of 30GB guess it's my slow ADSL2+ line, good chunk of it's going to Australia, New Zealand & Spain probably other places too, it's not like I sit and salivate at it going off shore or anything, just sits in the background doing whatever. :)

Thanks everybody! Great job! I will seed all torrents as soon as it will be done!

For those of us on the move...

Ta muchlu Mr Rudder-NZ - sterling work... and muchas gracias, merci beaucoup... danke vielmals.... erg bedankt for the uploads....

4 hours ago, InnerVoid said:

I'll keep at seeding it until my internet falls off the planet, it's sort of a rebel middle finger for it not being free to air here in New Zealand.

Even if you pay for Sky TV in New Zealand the times they show the replay are rubbish for me (when I'm travelling to / from work). Being asked to pay an extra $15/month for my-sky to enable recording is just another way for Sky NZ to stick it to their customers (has been free for Sky UK subscribers for 10+ years). So my middle finger is joining yours.

Thanks Rudder_NZ for your work. Have 100Mb link and will seed 24/7

1 hour ago, TeamLeader said:

Looking forward to it Rudders. Can I make one small request/suggestion please? If the stream drops out mid-record for whatever reason and you have to stop/restart mid-broadcast and thereby end up with a part 1 + part 2 scenario as per the day 2 recordings, could you please do your best to not change the resolution between part 1 + part 2?

A part 1 + part 2 result is not the end of the world and is definitely better than nothing. As long as they're the same resolution they can easily be joined back together again afterwards. But different resolutions can't without full-on re-encoding of one of the parts to match the other.

Just joined them on a mac like this...

Open terminal and 

Username-MBP:~ username$ cat /Users/username/Downloads/30-5-2017-ETNZvsARTEMIS-part1.ts /Users/username/Downloads/30-5-2017-ETNZvsARTEMIS-part2.ts > ETNZvsARTEMIS.ts

it does drop the new file at the root of the user folder, but easy to find

8 minutes ago, Flags said:

Yeah I'm using a PC here so I really don't understand what that instruction is doing, but I would imagine it being a Mac, everything is hidden under the bonnet and you really have limited control over what's actually happening. You just have to trust that Steve Jobs knows best is how things Mac seem to be. You have to assume that one of other of the streams is being re-encoded on the fly to match the other. The frames simply don't match. You can't seemlessly and losslessly join a 1280x720 stream to a 720x576 one. They're obviously not the same size for a start, but they also don't have the same pixel aspect ratio. The first is 1:1 and the second is 64:45 or 1.4222. Neither are compatible with each other when joining into one video. A single video can't have two different PAR's & resolutions.

The larger video is being downsized to 720x576 or the smaller video is being upscaled to 1280x720 in order to join them.

1 hour ago, Flags said:

Open terminal and 

Username-MBP:~ username$ cat /Users/username/Downloads/30-5-2017-ETNZvsARTEMIS-part1.ts /Users/username/Downloads/30-5-2017-ETNZvsARTEMIS-part2.ts > ETNZvsARTEMIS.ts

it does drop the new file at the root of the user folder, but easy to find

Change your command to 

cat /Users/username/Downloads/30-5-2017-ETNZvsARTEMIS-part1.ts /Users/username/Downloads/30-5-2017-ETNZvsARTEMIS-part2.ts > ~/Desktop/ETNZvsARTEMIS.ts

And it will drop it your Desktop, swap out the 

~/Desktop/

for any path you want 

51 minutes ago, TeamLeader said:

Yeah I'm using a PC here so I really don't understand what that instruction is doing, but I would imagine it being a Mac, everything is hidden under the bonnet and you really have limited control over what's actually happening. You just have to trust that Steve Jobs knows best is how things Mac seem to be. You have to assume that one of other of the streams is being re-encoded on the fly to match the other. The frames simply don't match. You can't seemlessly and losslessly join a 1280x720 stream to a 720x576 one. They're obviously not the same size for a start, but they also don't have the same pixel aspect ratio. The first is 1:1 and the second is 64:45 or 1.4222. Neither are compatible with each other when joining into one video. A single video can't have two different PAR's & resolutions.

The larger video is being downsized to 720x576 or the smaller video is being upscaled to 1280x720 in order to join them.

All he did was read the files into one file, would be the same as copying and pasting contents of the files, if read by a text editor, into one.

Love your comment about under the hood, as he pretty much used an under the hood command that has been in linux / unix systems since the beginning of time ;-) 

here's what I'm using.  I live in Jamestown RI (zip 02835) and have cox as my cable provider.  If you download the nbcsn app (NBC sports network) and then tell it that town/location and cox as the cable provider it works.  Not sure if it's checking my location with the GPS in the phone/tablet I'm using.  I also have the NBCsn app on my roku and it asked for an access code to install it but it used similar info to confirm (no account number etc).  Both apps, phone and roku, have replays in the afternoon after it was on live on cable.  Now sure how much later but I've been watching them around 3:30pm the same day.

Good Luck!

16 hours ago, ians said:

I don't have any experience with any of this, but I can confirm that qBittorrent v3.3.12 worked for me once I realized could right click on the filename within the software and 'open container' to figure out where the files were.  Then I could just doubleclick on the filename and windows media player would play them.

- another set of files somehow wound up somewhere else and when I double clicked on them, WMP would not play them.  So there was some initial confusion

10 hours ago, TeamLeader said:

Unfortunately the 720 source I was using stopped so I had to switch to the lower quality source so my hands were tied there. 

19 hours ago, TeamLeader said:

I fixed that for you :P

Mind you, if it doesn't rate like State of Origin here, the media just ignores it completely. SOP. This last weekend there was the Indy 500, the Monaco F1 GP, the FA Cup final and the start of the America's Cup. I couldn't find even the slightest passing mention of the AC on any mainstream media at all. The ABC didn't cover the Monaco GP at all either. Some of the tabloid trash commercial channels mentioned it when Daniel Ricciardo got third, but you got the very strong impression they were only mentioning it for that reason alone. FA Cup final was mentioned on the host broadcaster here, SBS, but nowhere else and if Scott Dixon hadn't tried to launch his car into orbit at the Indy 500, that wouldn't have got a mention either. Indeed, as it was that was the only thing that happened they did bother covering!

Mind you, on the plus side we did get extensive coverage of who broke a fingernail and who got some new blonde tip hghlights at AFL training this week... so y'know, swings & roundabouts. B)

F! Monaco was on channel 10 at 2130 but they don't play all the races so stream is here http://live.robinwidget.org/streamvideo8/formula-1-vs-shanghai-china-qualifying-live-stream-live-stream-178524.html  ignore shanghai it'll open the stream

2 minutes ago, bruiserdor said:

F! Monaco was on channel 10 at 2130 but they don't play all the races so stream is here http://live.robinwidget.org/streamvideo8/formula-1-vs-shanghai-china-qualifying-live-stream-live-stream-178524.html  ignore shanghai it'll open the stream

Like so many of those live streaming links they just completely fail for me or they work for awhile and poof gone, 1st day of racing literally felt like I was being chased by an invisible force on the internet hell bent on stopping me, it almost felt like my ISP was IP banning the stream well they can't stop it now. 

1 minute ago, InnerVoid said:

Like so many of those live streaming links they just completely fail for me or they work for awhile and poof gone, 1st day of racing literally felt like I was being chased by an invisible force on the internet hell bent on stopping me, it almost felt like my ISP was IP banning the stream well they can't stop it now. 

HAHAHA 

Just now, bruiserdor said:

HAHAHA 

It's you isn't it :) lol

I was laughing at this line lol  " it almost felt like my ISP was IP banning the stream well they can't stop it now. "

I still don't see any seeders for the torrents after 14 hours.  I am more than happy to keep them up on my seedbox nearly indefinitely (at least for several months) as I have tons of space and bandwidth, but I can't get them to download first.  Any ideas?

2 minutes ago, ibsailn said:

I still don't see any seeders for the torrents after 14 hours.  I am more than happy to keep them up on my seedbox nearly indefinitely (at least for several months) as I have tons of space and bandwidth, but I can't get them to download first.  Any ideas?

That's weird, what software are you using to torrent with?

My seedbox doesn't list a tracker for the torrents.  Might that be the problem?

rtorrent running on xirvik server

2 minutes ago, ibsailn said:

rtorrent running on xirvik server

592f4806d5fb2_2017-06-0110_46_50-qBittorrentv3.3_12.thumb.png.a6230e9ed4d16abf872e34331c9b6903.png

That's what you should be seeing.

I don't really know enough about the technical aspects of torrents to know why it isn't finding any seeders other than possibly the lack of a tracker.  My other torrents always work fine, but come from private trackers.

Capture.JPG

Holy Crap Batman .. there seems to be nothing but high tech talk on this link .... I don't put my seedbox out till the spring -:)

I have never had so many emails into my inbox and hardly one about the real issue ... Sailing and can Team NZ get back the cup 

Thanks to Rudder-NZ for the links - can you post up when there is now sailing or it is cancelled as we like to watch your link with coffee in the morning when we wake up and we don't watch the news so we don't know the result ... but this morning we had to to find out racing was cancelled ... sorry for the small gripe ... where can we send money for this great service ( other than Sky -:) ) 

Thanks for sharing your google drive links, please keep showing the races in that format too :) 

You Da Man

32 minutes ago, TimBits said:

Holy Crap Batman .. there seems to be nothing but high tech talk on this link .... I don't put my seedbox out till the spring -:)

I have never had so many emails into my inbox and hardly one about the real issue ... Sailing and can Team NZ get back the cup 

Thanks to Rudder-NZ for the links - can you post up when there is now sailing or it is cancelled as we like to watch your link with coffee in the morning when we wake up and we don't watch the news so we don't know the result ... but this morning we had to to find out racing was cancelled ... sorry for the small gripe ... where can we send money for this great service ( other than Sky -:) ) 

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody hears it . . .

This thread is about the racing replays, so I think it's appropriate for most of it to be dedicated to how we can see this stuff.

I'm in San Francisco and my internet provider is the Xfinity service by comcast.  I can tune in for 2 hours to watch the NBC Sports Network broadcast,  But it is like getting lost in the forest:

Oh! Look!, Artemas is ahead! (cut to a commercial . . .) Now New Zealand is ahead [how did that happen] (cut to a scene of about 30 people in bleachers, all of whom start to wave at themselves when they see themselves in the broadcast . . .) Now New Zealand is rounding a mark . . . how far back is Artemas . . . wait for them to get around the mark and maybe we'll see (if we don't cut to a commercial) - wait! a ribbon is finally at the bottom of the screen: the races are postphoned, were are showing replays from . . . while we wait for wind..

hmm

I think the funniest moment today was when a commentator said something like "there is a huge crowd of spectator's in the race village" . . . then they cut to a shot of the race village, and there are maybe 30 people milling about.

So here is an interesting thought - this round seems to be all about 3 boats tied for last place.  Just like American TV, it's all about who will be kicked off the island.

----------

But seriously, at the start of the series I got the impression that New Zealand was going to be at the end of the standings, with Artemis nipping at the heels of Oracle.  Now it looks like . . . something very different, and I haven't got a clue who the skipper of the New Zealand boat is, or where he came from.

yes my inbox has never been so full ... Peter Burling is a World and Olympic sailing champ with Blair Tuke 

Peter Burling MNZM  is a New Zealand sailor who won the gold medal at the 2016 Summer Olympics,[1][2] and the silver medal at the 2012 Summer Olympics as helm in the 49er class alongside Blair Tuke.[3]

Burling with Blair Tuke was Olympic flag bearer for New Zealand at the 2016 Olympics.[4] They are just the 4th New Zealand flagbearer to win a gold medal at the same Olympics.[5]

Burling and Tuke were named New Zealand sports Team of the Year at the Halberg Awards in Feb 2017. [6]

So he has some heritage in the sailing world ... Tuke is also on Team NZ 

always had faith that the Kiwi's would be there in the hunt 

13 minutes ago, TimBits said:

yes my inbox has never been so full ... Peter Burling is a World and Olympic sailing champ with Blair Tuke 

Peter Burling MNZM  is a New Zealand sailor who won the gold medal at the 2016 Summer Olympics,[1][2] and the silver medal at the 2012 Summer Olympics as helm in the 49er class alongside Blair Tuke.[3]

Burling with Blair Tuke was Olympic flag bearer for New Zealand at the 2016 Olympics.[4] They are just the 4th New Zealand flagbearer to win a gold medal at the same Olympics.[5]

Burling and Tuke were named New Zealand sports Team of the Year at the Halberg Awards in Feb 2017. [6]

So he has some heritage in the sailing world ... Tuke is also on Team NZ 

always had faith that the Kiwi's would be there in the hunt 

I like the fact that the New Zealand boat is sailed by sailors from New Zealand,

I wish the 'America's Cup' hadn't become the Sir Russell Coutts Cup

I hope that if America loses, it won't be to Sir Ben Anisile (which looks pretty unlikely right now), I'm in San Francisco, so I just can't feel good about an 'America's Cup', managed by Sir Russell Coutts, where all of the skippers are 'America's Cup' 'mates'.

So, yes, I'm happy for Peter Burling and New Zealand, there is hope yet, and thanks TimBits for the background.  New Zealand must be proud.

4 hours ago, Rudder_NZ said:

Unfortunately the 720 source I was using stopped so I had to switch to the lower quality source so my hands were tied there. 

Fair enough mate, I thought that might have been the case anyway. Wasn't having a go at ya. As said, in the environment of the organiser doing all they can to prevent anyone watching the races, anything is better than the alternative of nothing! You're doing a sterling job!

58 minutes ago, JaySea said:

I like the fact that the New Zealand boat is sailed by sailors from New Zealand (Glenn Ashby),

Yes I like this too. I also like how Artemis is sailed by sailors from Sweden Nathan Outteridge, how the USA Team is sailed by sailors from the USA Jimmy Spittle and Softbank Japan is sailed by Japanese sailors Dean Barker.

Oh wait... scratch all that. Does this mean the only worthwhile winners of the event will be France or Britain?

Rudder this is awesome mate!

Cheerz!

12 hours ago, maritimesailski said:

All he did was read the files into one file, would be the same as copying and pasting contents of the files, if read by a text editor, into one.

Thanks for that. I assume the cat command is just doing as you say a very basic concatenation. That's my mistake then. I should have specified that I was talking about joining video files that would still function as playable video files when joined together. I (wrongly as it turns out) assumed that was implied.

I just concatenated a Word document with an Excel spreadsheet file here. The end result doesn't work as either a Word document or an Excel spreadsheet, but hey, I did join them!... so WIN! :D

2 hours ago, TimBits said:

there seems to be nothing but high tech talk on this link

I have never had so many emails into my inbox and hardly one about the real issue

Hi Tim. You seem to have found yourself in the wrong thread mate. This one is about the race replays and where to download them for whomever would like to watch. Yes, it is technical in nature. That's because the extreme technical lengths the organisers have gone to to block everyone from watching the event for free require an extreme technical response to circumvent. It's the nature of the beast I'm afraid. It's not unnecessarily technical, it is very much necessary.

Rudder is not doing what he's doing for profit or professionally. He is just a guy with the right hardware and know-how to make a difference for the rest of us who have been locked out of the event by the organisers. For him to make it simple and non-technical to share what he's doing would cost him a fortune in hosting which is money that comes straight out of his personal bank account. There is already someone who is spending a lot of their own money to make it easy for you to watch, they're called BT Sport/Sky/Foxtel/NBC etc. and they'll be only too happy to take your money to help pay for the priviledge.

Rudder is also not here to provide you with a running commentary of the day's events so you can stay informed for free. You can get that for yourself from heaps of other places that are not a thread about where to download the race replays for free. That's the "real issue" in this thread at least.

36 minutes ago, TeamLeader said:

Yes I like this too. I also like how Artemis is sailed by sailors from Sweden Nathan Outteridge, how the USA Team is sailed by sailors from the USA Jimmy Spittle and Softbank Japan is sailed by Japanese sailors Dean Barker.

Oh wait... scratch all that. Does this mean the only worthwhile winners of the event will be France or Britain?

Groupama has kiwi Adam Minoprio on the wing.  Only Sir Ben has an all-national squad aboard, while NZ and GTF each have one foreigner.

2 hours ago, JaySea said:

Oh! Look!, Artemas is ahead! (cut to a commercial . . .) Now New Zealand is ahead [how did that happen] (cut to a scene of about 30 people in bleachers, all of whom start to wave at themselves when they see themselves in the broadcast . . .) Now New Zealand is rounding a mark . . . how far back is Artemas . . . wait for them to get around the mark and maybe we'll see (if we don't cut to a commercial) - wait!

Yep, this is exactly what the youTube highlight videos they're putting up are like! Cutting down a ~25min race into a minute & a half of highlights means getting 2 seconds of a boat sailing along, then cut to 2 sec of another boat, then 2sec of another boat. You get dizzy trying to follow what they're showing! It's like watching a powerpoint presentation on super fast speed. I don't bother even looking at their youTube channel anymore. It's worthless. The biggest turnaround since San Francisco.

I think the funniest moment today was when a commentator said something like "there is a huge crowd of spectator's in the race village" . . . then they cut to a shot of the race village, and there are maybe 30 people milling about.

I've noticed this too. Looks to me like they're having to stage manage the crowd/spectator shots very carefully to give the impression of a big attendance where there isn't one. Wide shots are very few and far between and aerial shots of the on shore village area are so far non-existant since racing started. If you look into the background of shots, you'll see acres of vacant concrete hardstanding area, with all the people crowded in some place as thick as one person deep around the railings as the boats pull into the dock. It's interesting how there hasn't been a single shot of the crowds watching the racing on the giant screen area right in the middle of village yet. That's supposed to be the hub of all the action, but they're not covering it. I wonder why that would be?

4 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

NZ and GTF each have one foreigner.

But those foreigners are the skippers in each case calling the shots. Kind of a significant member of the crew.

I see 28 seeders for the day2-3 and 30 for day 4.  And now my computer will be seeding as well.

I suppose day 1 is too much to ask for?

You are doing the lord's work my friend rudder!

But those foreigners are the skippers in each case calling the shots. Kind of a significant member of the crew.

Isn't Peter Burling the skipper?, or is he the helmsman? I'm a little confused.

Australia is kind of a state of New Zealand anyway :)

Mate, the modern America's cup has never been country of origin.
But ever since the Kiwi's won it the first time, most of the teams have been stacked with a disproportionate number of Kiwi's and Aussies, both in the design / build crew and the sailors.

I haven't run the numbers, but it feels like this Americas Cup is much more diverse than before.

Country names at this point are really just about who's paying the bill.
But I think that's awesome for our sport.

How many professional sailors are getting to compete, who wouldn't have a shot if it was about country of origin.
I reckon there's enough Kiwi's and Aussies to put tother 3 or 4 teams each, but money isn't there.
The Aussies haven't managed to give it a proper shot since they won and then lost it decades ago.

1 minute ago, JaySea said:

Gashby is the skipper, wing trimmer & tactician calling all the shots. Burling is just the one holding the wheel and given the uneviable task of having to attend the post race press conferences to talk to the media.

1 minute ago, JaySea said:

Helmsman..

9 minutes ago, jdtan0 said:

I suppose day 1 is too much to ask for?

You are doing the lord's work my friend rudder!

I was wondering that too, it's shame Sir Rudder doesn't have someone else backing him up with help with all this, I would have done it but I don't have any sources.

1 minute ago, TeamLeader said:

Gashby is the skipper, wing trimmer & tactician calling all the shots. Burling is just the one holding the wheel and given the uneviable task of having to attend the post race press conferences to talk to the media.

ah, ok, that's helpful.  maybe that's why his replies to questions in the farce that calls itself the 'press conference' seem so . . .  wooden?

Thanks for that. I assume the cat command is just doing as you say a very basic concatenation. That's my mistake then. I should have specified that I was talking about joining video files that would still function as playable video files when joined together. I (wrongly as it turns out) assumed that was implied.

I just concatenated a Word document with an Excel spreadsheet file here. The end result doesn't work as either a Word document or an Excel spreadsheet, but hey, I did join them!... so WIN! :D

Two points. Whilst I'm more a window/ASUS user, your comment about Macs particularly the laptop/desktop OS are a little ill-informed and contradictory. Particularly given that I was working at the command line. Its just that at the time I have a Mac in my hands. Secondly for whatever reason, both files I have are the same resolution, so I have a single 1280x720 file now.

26 minutes ago, shuave said:

Firstly, yes it has. That's why the teams in the recent past have very much had national identities attached to them. Look at the very name of the competition! It's called the "America's Cup"! It could easily be argued that is now changing with team names like BAR (Ben Ainslie Racing), which is clearly designed to reflect the more commercial/private nature of the entries these days coupled with the disinterest of governments to help fund entries brilliantly exhibited by the New Zealand government pulling out of their financial backing of ETNZ.

Secondly, I wasn't making any suggestion that it was a country of origin competition anyway. All I was doing was pointing out that most of the teams are not sailed entirely by sailors of the nationality the team purports to be from... including New Zealand.

4 minutes ago, Flags said:

for whatever reason, both files I have are the same resolution, so I have a single 1280x720 file now.

I stand by my ill-informed comments. By definition, if you have a single homogenous video file made up the two parts joined together and its resolution all the way through is 1280x720 as you say, then part 2 has been re-encoded and upscaled (losing quality) as a part of that joining process. That's not surprising, heaps of programs will do this automatically, hiding all the complicated & messy nastiness of what's actually going on under the bonnet away from the user.

Your admission that you didn't know this is what was happening

"for whatever reason"

proves my point that the Mac you used has done exactly as I described it would.

26 minutes ago, JaySea said:

ah, ok, that's helpful.  maybe that's why his replies to questions in the farce that calls itself the 'press conference' seem so . . .  wooden?

Possibly. On board the boat he might largely be just following instructions, since this is his first AC, though not his first time match racing of course. A little of that inexperience perhaps showed through with the penalty for entering the start box area early. Maybe when it comes to difficult questions from the media about why certain decisions were made, he might be floundering a bit without being able to read Gashby's mind.

2 hours ago, shuave said:

Wasn't it a competition between yacht clubs?!?!?!?!

2 hours ago, TeamLeader said:

Firstly, yes it has. That's why the teams in the recent past have very much had national identities attached to them. Look at the very name of the competition! It's called the "America's Cup"! It could easily be argued that is now changing with team names like BAR (Ben Ainslie Racing), which is clearly designed to reflect the more commercial/private nature of the entries these days coupled with the disinterest of governments to help fund entries brilliantly exhibited by the New Zealand government pulling out of their financial backing of ETNZ.

Secondly, I wasn't making any suggestion that it was a country of origin competition anyway. All I was doing was pointing out that most of the teams are not sailed entirely by sailors of the nationality the team purports to be from... including New Zealand.

And that's where you are wrong.  Its called the Americas Cup after the name of the boat which first won the trophy, not named after the country.  In the day of the magnificent "J" class the sailors were mostly Scandinavian fishermen which the owners taking a back seat and writing the cheques.

4 hours ago, TeamLeader said:

Hi Tim. You seem to have found yourself in the wrong thread mate. This one is about the race replays and where to download them for whomever would like to watch. Yes, it is technical in nature. That's because the extreme technical lengths the organisers have gone to to block everyone from watching the event for free require an extreme technical response to circumvent. It's the nature of the beast I'm afraid. It's not unnecessarily technical, it is very much necessary.

Rudder is not doing what he's doing for profit or professionally. He is just a guy with the right hardware and know-how to make a difference for the rest of us who have been locked out of the event by the organisers. For him to make it simple and non-technical to share what he's doing would cost him a fortune in hosting which is money that comes straight out of his personal bank account. There is already someone who is spending a lot of their own money to make it easy for you to watch, they're called BT Sport/Sky/Foxtel/NBC etc. and they'll be only too happy to take your money to help pay for the priviledge.

Rudder is also not here to provide you with a running commentary of the day's events so you can stay informed for free. You can get that for yourself from heaps of other places that are not a thread about where to download the race replays for free. That's the "real issue" in this thread at least.

Wow all a bit serious here ... I was being "tongue in cheek" .... quite happy to send Rudder NZ some money as he seems out of pocket doing us all a big favour so we can see Team NZ race ..... We should all chip in a $ or two and he would be all sorted ... just checking some of the other threads and people do seem to get their nickers in a twist very quickly on this sight .... enjoy the racing 

10 minutes ago, TimBits said:

Wow all a bit serious here ... I was being "tongue in cheek"

Nice backpedal there. Jimmy might be able to use you on his BMX :P

just checking some of the other threads and people do seem to get their nickers in a twist very quickly on this sight

Site, yes. Now you see what happens when you come in mid-thread and start telling everyone what the "real issue" is in a thread so very obviously laser targeted at one very specific subject.

42 minutes ago, TeamLeader said:

Site, yes. Now you see what happens when you come in mid-thread and start telling everyone what the "real issue" is in a thread so very obviously laser targeted at one very specific subject.

And now it's as off course as one of BARs boat Moorings.

Arr yes being anonymous allows everyone to be a critic ... and I see love to spell and grammar correct .... I would not see my comments being off tread ... just trying to bring a humour to an otherwise eye glazing tech talk ... all good