• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Guitar

A Stitch in Time...or not

Got a bit of a scratch on my hand and didn't think it was too bad so didn't go to the VA hospital until the next day. Cool new way to deal with problems that sutures won't.

We could add this to the "things that have been replaced by zip ties" list.

Must have hurt?  Hope you're mended soon.

Actually the head of a deck screw got me. Was hanging some 2x8 redwood trim for the new siding, 13 foot long vertical, drill in one hand, holding it against the house with the other. Needless to say, it slipped, I dropped the drill and ran my hand into the screw head. It's pretty dull so it "plowed" its way through.

PB, he left it hangin.

I was thinking nip / tuck but without the nip. 

The siding, along with everything else I had planned is on hold. Vacation starts on the 9th so it should be ok. My right armpit is beginning to draw attention though.

Could be worse...buddy from Capetown's mast man...

Edit: maybe this should have gone in "Knee Club" thread...

received_10154995121425189.jpeg

Edited by Grabbler

Please tell me that didn't happen on the boat!  Fuck - best wishes that it improves quickly ...

^^ ...and we get censured by the angry mobs for posting pics of Blue Waffle.  Aauuggghhhh!

3 hours ago, Guitar said:

In my youth, I hated wearing gloves, and rarely did. Fortunately I never had anything as serious as Guitars scratch!!  I always wear them now.  Heal fast, mate!

Doing well, still quite sore but able to use the hand a bit more today. Was able to get up and shower with the wife this morning so the right armpit (and a bit more) is thoroughly scrubbed.

Appreciate the well wishes everyone.

I'm with you Billy, using my hands most of my life, I hardly wore gloves. Still don't when swinging a hammer and holding nails. My left hand really, really hates my right hand.

Maybe because of the obsessive focus on safety at work, I ALWAYS wear gloves appropriate to the task and have for years. I even wear gloves on the table saw - but usually not other power tools. Even wearing gloves, I've had hand burn/cut/crush injuries (mostly crush/smash and burn). Nope.....I'm an obsessive glove wearer.......

Although.....when I was first a Paramedic (1976) we only wore the vinyl gloves when things were "icky" which was code for anything that came out of your butt or barf. AIDS wasn't described just yet (that happened 1981ish) and I worked part of that prior time in a very well known gay community. Didn't bother with gloves for really any patient care procedures, starting IV's etc. wasn't uncommon to be pretty much covered in blood, tissues  and fluids. We used to hose our turnouts off in the driveway and then at the end of the shift, take them (and uniforms) home and wash them in the home washer.....where you wash all your other clothes.....and your family's.......that doesn't happen anymore! After AIDS was "discovered" and appropriate precautions were developed, all those things changed. Worried me for a number of years but after about 10 years the Doc's said we were good. I actually had a greater risk from Hepatitis but I skated that one too!

Well 10 days later and I'm pretty impressed with the zip stitch system.

18839752_1097211530411145_21241221175538

8 hours ago, Guitar said:

Well 10 days later and I'm pretty impressed with the zip stitch system.

18839752_1097211530411145_21241221175538

Well done Guitar!!

While we are tangentially on the subject of PPE, I cannot stress enough that we try to educate our children and grandchildren about protecting our bodies largest organ, our SKIN, from sun damage!!  As I eschewed, and never wore gloves in my youth to middle age, I also hated wearing hats, visors and long sleeved shirts, and/or long pants while racing boats many hours a year, for many decades.  I hope that today's youth are not like many of use, having to go to the dermatologist once a year, to have pre-cancerous, or WORSE! stuff removed from our bodies, by lasers, freezing, or carving on our precious carcasses!!