• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Dorado

Broken Rib Anarchy

Ribs should always be sistered if found to be broken. Steam bend a triple laminated sister rib of similar dimension, lay it alongside the broken one and fasten to the hull with copper nails and roves in a similar pattern to the original and you'll be sweet in no time.

If you're as big of pussy as I am...

You're fucked for at least a month

No x-ray , because they can't do squat about it anyways

Sleeping in the Lazy-boy recliner

Cough, sneeze, laugh, fart and the surprise lap jump by the 80 lb. Labrador are brutal.

The copper nails are leaving green marks on my chest . . .

1 hour ago, dacapo said:

babyback or short rib??  

Got a recipe?

Just don't breathe for a month or so...

And I would suggest avoiding this...

It's a crutch - but, wrapping yourself up tightly (like w/an elastic back brace) can help prevent some movement, and provide a small lessening of the discomfort.  Last ones I crunched were in a motorcycle wreck a couple years ago, and they hurt worse longer than my broken back did.  IIRC - it was about 8 weeks until I could cough without tensing up first. 

2 hours ago, Rum Runner said:

Doesn't matter.  It's the sauce that counts.  Feel better.

You take that back. It's how they are cooked that matters. 

Oh ditto on the feel better 

Pics or ....

Edit: If they haven't told you already, if you have torn the cartilage as well, that can take longer to heal than the rib bone.

That sucks.   I broke four ribs last fall and tore cartilage... It's still not 100% but on the mend slowly.   The ribs took 8-10 weeks before I could cough without wincing.   I found a heating pad helped but I couldn't explain why.   Oh - and good scotch is a must to go to sleep in the recliner...

7 hours ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

Shi'ite, dooooood, where's the damn story on how you broke your ass? 

I went to Utah in the camper van with my motorcycle on a trailer. I was dry camping in a remote spot near Escalante. I had a great ride around Brice Canyon, Kodachrome Basin, and Hwy 12.  I got a bad case of food poisoning that night and puked my guts out ALL night long and decided that being closer to civilization was probably a good thing that morning. Got a little out of shape on the ramp putting the bike back on the trailer and aborted. Right at the spot where the front wheel is on the ramp and the back wheel still on the ground and your feets can't touch the ground. Flopped right over.  Oooof !

Got up, lifted Piggy off the ground, and hammered it up the ramp the second time successfully. 24 hours and 750 miles later, I was home in the lazy-boy with a scotch in my hand. Rough day.

On 5/31/2017 at 1:16 PM, dorado said:

No x-ray , because they can't do squat about it anyways

Sleeping in the Lazy-boy recliner

Cough, sneeze, laugh, fart and the surprise lap jump by the 80 lb. Labrador are brutal.

The copper nails are leaving green marks on my chest . . .

Run with it! You can get at least a couple of months. The dog'll learn

53 minutes ago, dorado said:

I went to Utah in the camper van with my motorcycle on a trailer. I was dry camping in a remote spot near Escalante. I had a great ride around Brice Canyon, Kodachrome Basin, and Hwy 12.  I got a bad case of food poisoning that night and puked my guts out ALL night long and decided that being closer to civilization was probably a good thing that morning. Got a little out of shape on the ramp putting the bike back on the trailer and aborted. Right at the spot where the front wheel is on the ramp and the back wheel still on the ground and your feets can't touch the ground. Flopped right over.  Oooof !

Got up, lifted Piggy off the ground, and hammered it up the ramp the second time successfully. 24 hours and 750 miles later, I was home in the lazy-boy with a scotch in my hand. Rough day.

Ouch... glad ya got home - ramp drops suck. 

Yer ribs heal like a pond freezes over

it will HURT till one morning it won't

This point = to when a pond gets a thin upper shell that feels like it's frozen

It Hurts because its moving, when it fuses enough to stop it from moving it Feels Fine,

BUT it has No Strength, it's only beginning to fuse together

The temptation is to get all that shit you couldn't do when it was cracked Done

BUT RESIST, it's Thin Ice and won't take Any strain

If you make it move You Start Over from day one !!

First time I ever read a post from Woody that actually made any sense! My 2 times were both sailing related, the second one was being thrown into the boom during a gybe at over 20 knots on my moth. Took about 7 weeks to get back to normal......

So the wife sez,

Don't you think you're getting a little too old to be going off and doing that stuff by yourself ?

Oooof ! :o

On 31/05/2017 at 3:07 AM, DRIFTW00D said:

Forgot about a good night sleep. Pray you never have to cough! Good luck,heal fast...

Add laughing and sneezing to that list. Hurt like fuck the first 3 weeks, admittedly with 2 broken and 2 cracked all in a row. 

After that, the broken ones were tender for about 2 months. Can still feel the lumps where they knitted together. 

No simple cure. 

4 hours ago, dorado said:

Didn't know Madison Bumgarner was a sailor and on the board! How cool is that!

5 hours ago, dorado said:

So the wife sez,

Don't you think you're getting a little too old to be going off and doing that stuff by yourself ?

Let's face it. If you were still 20, you would have vaulted off, landed cleanly still holding the bike vertical and backed it off the ramp while laughing loudly. 

Getting older does have some advantages, reaction time, strength and a love of adrenaline are not the highest on the list  

Broken or fractured ribs hurt.....bad

At least I did mine when you could still get opiodes...

6 weeks for me,

but my wife leads me to believe I might be a pussy....?

9 hours ago, dorado said:

So the wife sez,

Hah! Same shit here.

I was out riding in the four mile area. Rode a couple fairly technical single tracks and was on my way to another trail via a nice forest service road. Riding along having a great time and then BAM. Some tiny little root tossed the front wheel to the left and I went over the bars at about 30. Landed square on my right shoulder and helmet. Laid on the ground for some time gathering my shit. AC separation, had to stand the bike back up and ride home. Hurt like hell. Happened Saturday afternoon, no way I'm going to the ER with my shit insurance. Sunday I was in real bad pain then I was doing something to keep bust and it popped back in. Still have a big knob up there. Stuff moving around there also. I have a bad feeling about the future of my shoulder.

Of course the wife has lots to say about riding and all the other stuff I do solo.

You still going to make it out to Colorado?

Yup

But I'm swapping the Indian out for a Mustang convertible.

Don't know if my ribs would ok by then, so I made the switch while I still could reserve one.

Wife is very happy about it.

1 hour ago, bmiller said:

Hah! Same shit here.

I was out riding in the four mile area. Rode a couple fairly technical single tracks and was on my way to another trail via a nice forest service road. Riding along having a great time and then BAM. Some tiny little root tossed the front wheel to the left and I went over the bars at about 30. Landed square on my right shoulder and helmet. Laid on the ground for some time gathering my shit. AC separation, had to stand the bike back up and ride home. Hurt like hell. Happened Saturday afternoon, no way I'm going to the ER with my shit insurance. Sunday I was in real bad pain then I was doing something to keep bust and it popped back in. Still have a big knob up there. Stuff moving around there also. I have a bad feeling about the future of my shoulder.

Of course the wife has lots to say about riding and all the other stuff I do solo.

You still going to make it out to Colorado?

Slam your shoulder into the wall a few times, it will pop back into place. If that doesn't work, break out the Sawzall.

6 hours ago, dorado said:

Yup

But I'm swapping the Indian out for a Mustang convertible.

Don't know if my ribs would ok by then, so I made the switch while I still could reserve one.

Wife is very happy about it.

With that do you still plan on staging in Georgetown or doing a big ass loop? What were the dates again?

7/13-7/18

Tentatively driving down 285 through Buena Vista on the 16th on the way to the Gunnison Canyon and Ouray.

Ouray Durango Dolores Telluride Ouray Loop on the 17th

On 6/1/2017 at 10:05 AM, dorado said:

So the wife sez,

Par for the course with ribs....everything hurts.  

Had a couple stove in sparring about 12 years ago.  Probably not complete breaks but - for me it was about 6 weeks. 

9 hours ago, dorado said:

7/13-7/18

Tentatively driving down 285 through Buena Vista on the 16th on the way to the Gunnison Canyon and Ouray.

Ouray Durango Dolores Telluride Ouray Loop on the 17th

It's about 2.5 hours from Denver to BV. If it works into your schedule we should meet up.

Are you planning on spending some time in Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP?? If so that will eat up a lot of time. If for some reason the canyon doesn't work out you could go over Owl Creek Pass and check out where they shot the first True Grit. That drops you right into Ridgeway which was also used in the movie. The loop you are going to drive is great. Dallas Divide is one the most photographed places in the US. It's where the Marlboro man rode in the commercials. Ralph Lauren's ranch is up there. Consider Last Dollar road, more stuff from True Grit and just a real nice drive.

You need a road trip thread dedicated to this trip so we can tell you what you should do!

I'm no expert, but if you got X-ray, there are some new  techniques to plate fractured ribs that some thoracic and trauma surgeons do.  Might speed up recovery.  Has to be lateral or lower rib fractures.

This place has fallen off the edge here,,

Usually,  one can find he latest in state of the art info,,

Instead,  we're getting some kind of Dark Ages freakin' torture chamber shit.

OF COURSE the skin is gonna turn green using copper freakin' nails.

Yank those dumbass copper nails , and replace with Titanium socket head screws.

On 6/4/2017 at 1:05 AM, Mike in Seattle said:

This place has fallen off the edge here,,

Usually,  one can find he latest in state of the art info,,

Instead,  we're getting some kind of Dark Ages freakin' torture chamber shit.

OF COURSE the skin is gonna turn green using copper freakin' nails.

Yank those dumbass copper nails , and replace with Titanium socket head screws.

And watch your propeller dissolve....

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 2:49 AM, Last Post said:

And watch your propeller dissolve....

DAMMIT!, Jim! 

shhhh.jpg

Simply bolt or crimp a ZINC to the shaft ,

everybody knows that

The only medical use for copper fittings in a case like this would be if the patient does not want to get pregnant

Good time to break that sneezing habit. After one of those you may decide to keep a ball peen hammer in hand. Unconscious people do not sneeze. 

10 hours ago, Mike in Seattle said:

DAMMIT!, Jim! 

shhhh.jpg

Simply bolt or crimp a ZINC to the shaft ,

everybody knows that

The only medical use for copper fittings in a case like this would be if the patient does not want to get pregnant

But who wants to go through life with a zinc anode on his shaft.

Fuck . . . I haven't slept in like 23 days

Getting a little bored too. Went fishing in AC Anarchy the other day.

I swear, some of them Kiwis make Aussies seem like rational human beings.

3 hours ago, dorado said:

Fuck . . . I haven't slept in like 23 days

Getting a little bored too. Went fishing in AC Anarchy the other day.

I swear, some of them Kiwis make Aussies seem like rational human beings.

There are only about 5 million of our Kiwi cousins and by any measure they do seem to punch above their weight in many areas - AC sailing, Rugby Union, car theft, etc

14 hours ago, Last Post said:

There are only about 5 million of our Kiwi cousins and by any measure they do seem to punch above their weight in many areas - AC sailing, Rugby Union, car theft, etc  sheep.