Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jabrams

J 105, to reef or not

On a recent delivery my crew was playing with the spin and seeing how high they could carry it in 12-15 knots. They said that they put a reef in the main and were able to come up 10 degrees more with good control and speed. It makes sense but is this something useful on longer courses or just something for delivery ? 

Thoughts ? 

How did they put a reef in? The J105 I know does not have a reefable main. It would be nice to have a reef point for 20 plus knots.

Totally makes sense.  Do it regularly on Hunter 54, tender boat, loves the forward COE of the big kite and reduced main.

Some mains on 105's do not have reef points.  If you are in the Great Lakes contingent you know that as a safety requirement reef points are part of the OSI for port racing.

In 20+ years of racing 105's, reefed once prior to a race as 45 kts blew across the racing area for a quick squall and another playing the waiting game while the microbursts figured out where they wanted to come from.

Yesterday I looked at the main on the J105 and saw reinforcements for what looked like a reef line but there were no holes so they were non-functional. Class rules require a reef point but racers don't rig for them.

We reefed for the first time ever this weekend on the Farallon race. It was not particularly windy when we put the reef in - 17 kts, but it was building and hit 25 kts by the island in some very big waves. Also, we overstood a little, so it was tough to depower at 40 degrees apparent. The boat went well with the reef, which we shook out when we rounded for the ride home. We took second (first place beat us by 30 mins - he went a different, correct, route there and back) so I'm pretty sure that reefing was the right move because we beat the rest of the fleet that came our side of the course. The ride was more comfortable, easier to control with less slamming and drama with the reef in. 

Thankfully the reefing rig worked - we probably should have tested and practiced it before trying it in a race in a blow. The only thing that I would change is to add some purchase to stretch out the new reefed foot of the sail more. The most difficult thing was that we could not get the sail grommet over the reefing horn without removing the bottom few slugs, which were painful and slow to put back in when we shook the reef out later.

On 2017-6-1 at 8:13 PM, jabrams said:

On a recent delivery my crew was playing with the spin and seeing how high they could carry it in 12-15 knots. They said that they put a reef in the main and were able to come up 10 degrees more with good control and speed. It makes sense but is this something useful on longer courses or just something for delivery ? 

Thoughts ? 

who the hell bothers with a kite during deliveries ?

12 hours ago, duncan (the other one) said:

who the hell bothers with a kite during deliveries ?

someone more motivated then you...

6 hours ago, Starbuck said:

someone more motivated then you...

there's many reasons not to fly a kite during deliveries.  More potential for gear breakages, reduced crew (exacerbating the potential for breakage), sail wear and damage etc etc.  Most importantly, you might spill your beer.

A responsible delivery crew wouldn't fly extras unless the RFO was onboard and requested it.

If you can't get where you're going fast enough with a delivery main and jib, turn on the donk.

You are most certainly not concerned about eeking out that extra 10deg on a shy reach.

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 3:37 PM, duncan (the other one) said:

there's many reasons not to fly a kite during deliveries.  More potential for gear breakages, reduced crew (exacerbating the potential for breakage), sail wear and damage etc etc.  Most importantly, you might spill your beer.

A responsible delivery crew wouldn't fly extras unless the RFO was onboard and requested it.

If you can't get where you're going fast enough with a delivery main and jib, turn on the donk.

You are most certainly not concerned about eeking out that extra 10deg on a shy reach.

sense of humor much?

Crew was using an old kite, and my feeling is if they want to use it on a nice day and have fun, they are doing me a favour delivering the boat so more power to them. 

Both class mains I have contain reefing points. We have used it in an offshore race once upwind, but not yet down. 

We will keep playing and see what happens 

thanks 

On 6/21/2017 at 6:37 PM, duncan (the other one) said:

Sounds like you are a PITA.