• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Shortforbob

70 years for protesting?

Remember the protests outside trump tower on the 21 Jan..yeah some protesters from both sides got a little out of hand, a number of free lance journos were arrested..and some stupid kid burned a car..I don't recall anything reported at the time about sound grenades and rubber bullets, maybe I missed it.

Still, 70 years behind bars seems a little OTT. Is this real..or fake news?

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/2017/05/anti-trump-protesters-facing-decades-bars-170522063956218.html

When Olivia Alsip travelled to the capital to protest against the inauguration of right-wing US President Donald Trump, she didn't imagine she would end the day behind bars and later face up to 80 years in prison.

Thousands of people journeyed from across the US to Washington, DC, to protest on the first day of Trump's presidency, January 20.

During the swearing-in, Alsip was among the more than 230 protesters arrested when officers from the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) blocked off a large area and hauled off nearly everyone. 

"I am wondering if my 24th birthday next week will be my last as a free person," she says by telephone from Chicago. "I've never in my life had such a painful and stressful experience. There are no words to convey the severity of this."

"Our experience in police custody [that day] was totally dehumanising. We were kettled, treated like animals and denied basic human rights and dignity," she recollects. "People were forced to urinate on the streets and denied water and food."

The arrests came after Black Bloc anarchists and anti-fascists clashed with police. Officers fired rubber bullets and tear gas at protesters.

Anti-Trump chants were occasionally drowned out by the thuds of sound grenades and smoke bombs.

Left behind was broken glass from the windows of cafes, restaurants and banks. Declarations of resistance marked the walls and pavements: "Make racists afraid again," and "F*ck Trump".

Images of a limousine in flames later made it onto television screens and the front pages of news websites around the world.

READ MORE: US anti-fascists 'can make racists afraid again'

On January 21, most of the 230 protesters and bystanders arrested the day before were charged with felony rioting, which carries a maximum prison sentence of 10 years and a $25,000 fine. 

But on April 27, the Superior Court of the District of Columbia returned a superseding indictment which added additional charges for some 212 defendants, three of whom had not previously been charged.

With new felony charges including urging to riot, conspiracy to riot and destruction of property, many of the defendants are facing up to 80 years in prison. Many other defendants, among them journalists, are facing more than 70 years

Oooh!  A deeply thoughtful, considered response.  Thanks for your contribution. 

We've met. I know you, your wife and your son. You're a very handy sailor, tactically very clever and would be welcome on my boat anytime. Your young son was still in Minnows.

I'm only new here but I suggest you check ShitforBrains track record. :rolleyes:

Both you and Al Jazeera are jumping to the conclusion that

• they will be found guilty
  • the maximum possible sentence permitted by law will be given.

3 minutes ago, Saorsa said:

Well not exactly. I just find it odd that such an extreme sentence is even being suggested.

Of course it's highly unlikely that most if any of these people, even the rock chuckers would get 70 years..but how do they come up with that idea? 

21 minutes ago, Betel Buai said:

We've met. I know you, your wife and your son. You're a very handy sailor, tactically very clever and would be welcome on my boat anytime. Your young son was still in Minnows.

I'm only new here but I suggest you check ShitforBrains track record. :rolleyes:

What track record?

And I must say that your response to recidivist sounds like a veiled threat.

1 minute ago, Shortforbob said:

Well not exactly. I just find it odd that such an extreme sentence is even being suggested.

Of course it's highly unlikely that most if any of these people, even the rock chuckers would get 70 years..but how do they come up with that idea? 

The offenses noted in your source are not political protesting.

Just now, Saorsa said:

The offenses noted in your source are not political protesting.

What are they then? OK even if the offences are to do with civic unrest, damage, riotorous behaviour..70 years?? hell, rapists don't get as much.

please explain.

41 minutes ago, Betel Buai said:

No, you're not.

26 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

The Bigfella..(original ID)..owns scratchnut sock and probably MikeHunt,

Been a member here many years but only lets his socks into PA

Interesting....

50 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

What are they then? OK even if the offences are to do with civic unrest, damage, riotorous behaviour..70 years?? hell, rapists don't get as much.

please explain.

Arson, vandalism, destruction of property are included with the riotous behavior.

In the US there is a tendency to overcharge with offenses with long minimum sentences so that some of the charges can be negotiated away pretrial.

Looks good for the lawyers on both sides.  The prosecution gets a conviction on misdemeanor butterfly battery and the defense tells the accused that he saved him from a life sentence, pay up.

3 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

Remember the protests outside trump tower on the 21 Jan..yeah some protesters from both sides got a little out of hand, a number of free lance journos were arrested..and some stupid kid burned a car..I don't recall anything reported at the time about sound grenades and rubber bullets, maybe I missed it.

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/2017/05/anti-trump-protesters-facing-decades-bars-170522063956218.html

When Olivia Alsip travelled to the capital to protest against the inauguration of right-wing US President Donald Trump, she didn't imagine she would end the day behind bars and later face up to 80 years in prison.

Thousands of people journeyed from across the US to Washington, DC, to protest on the first day of Trump's presidency, January 20.

During the swearing-in, Alsip was among the more than 230 protesters arrested when officers from the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) blocked off a large area and hauled off nearly everyone. 

"I am wondering if my 24th birthday next week will be my last as a free person," she says by telephone from Chicago. "I've never in my life had such a painful and stressful experience. There are no words to convey the severity of this."

"Our experience in police custody [that day] was totally dehumanising. We were kettled, treated like animals and denied basic human rights and dignity," she recollects. "People were forced to urinate on the streets and denied water and food."

The arrests came after Black Bloc anarchists and anti-fascists clashed with police. Officers fired rubber bullets and tear gas at protesters.

Anti-Trump chants were occasionally drowned out by the thuds of sound grenades and smoke bombs.

Left behind was broken glass from the windows of cafes, restaurants and banks. Declarations of resistance marked the walls and pavements: "Make racists afraid again," and "F*ck Trump".

Images of a limousine in flames later made it onto television screens and the front pages of news websites around the world.

On January 21, most of the 230 protesters and bystanders arrested the day before were charged with felony rioting, which carries a maximum prison sentence of 10 years and a $25,000 fine. 

But on April 27, the Superior Court of the District of Columbia returned a superseding indictment which added additional charges for some 212 defendants, three of whom had not previously been charged.

With new felony charges including urging to riot, conspiracy to riot and destruction of property, many of the defendants are facing up to 80 years in prison. Many other defendants, among them journalists, are facing more than 70 years

1 minute ago, Saorsa said:

Arson, vandalism, destruction of property are included with the riotous behavior.

In the US there is a tendency to overcharge with offenses with long minimum sentences so that some of the charges can be negotiated away pretrial.

Looks good for the lawyers on both sides.  The prosecution gets a conviction on misdemeanor butterfly battery and the defense tells the accused that he saved him from a life sentence, pay up.

Okay..but aren't sentences served concurrently? like I said..rape doesn't get even 25 years..It fact a 70 year sentance would be life for most of these ofenders..I don't get it.

7 minutes ago, Betel Buai said:
39 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

The Bigfella..(original ID)..owns scratchnut sock and probably MikeHunt,

Been a member here many years but only lets his socks into PA

Interesting....

7 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

I clicked your link. What has that got to do with anything? I don't get it.

5 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

Okay..but aren't sentences served concurrently? like I said..rape doesn't get even 25 years..It fact a 70 year sentance would be life for most of these ofenders..I don't get it.

Some are, some aren't.

If you throw 15 rocks through 15 windows and get the max sentence for each rock as a separate crime, you could possibly turn petty vandalism into a life sentence. Not likely in the real world, but this is not the real world lately :rolleyes:

18 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

OK. I'll put it down to the mysterious workings of your legal system.

Shouldn't you be concerned with your own legal system? I see they're digging up the bones of a murder victim from 2007 today. The prime suspect, who has been granted immunity showed them where the remains are.

The parents cried.

6 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Need more detail. If they did violence, they'll do time. Rioting is not protected speech. 

I remember at the time there were some freelance journalists caught up in swoop, everyone there was arrested, 200 or so people being charged is rather a lot for one small demonstration.

1 hour ago, Shortforbob said:

I remember at the time there were some freelance journalists caught up in swoop, everyone there was arrested, 200 or so people being charged is rather a lot for one small demonstration.

Everyone was arrested? 200 (or so) people? Swoop?

Arrests & charges only happen after criminal activity.

2 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

Anyone who threw something, lit something, hit something (or someone) or otherwise damaged something physically gets no sympathy from me. 

Anyone whose protest was peaceful or who merely covered it as a journalist should face no charges. 

Pretty simple. Common sense, IMO. 

1 hour ago, Betel Buai said:

Arrests & charges only happen after criminal activity.

Yes, but not necessarily is the person arrested & charged the one that conducted the criminal activity. Kind of the point.

Arresting a whole bunch of people at once kinda changes the flow of the activities.  It's fucking disruptive kinda like a community disorganizer.

13 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

Nobody is getting those sentences and being charged with rioting isn't being charged for protesting. Sensational journalism from an outfit that bases it's operations in a country where the penalty for protesting is death I might add...but I've decided not to. Why go down that road? I'll limit my comment to mentioning that maximum penalties are extremely unlikely to be laid on these folks. 

I think the news here is some of these guys just didn't want to cop a plea and SOP is to toss the book at them to frighten-up a reconsideration. 

11 hours ago, Betel Buai said:

Shouldn't you be concerned with your own legal system? I see they're digging up the bones of a murder victim from 2007 today. The prime suspect, who has been granted immunity showed them where the remains are.

The parents cried.

5 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

Garp!

"Garp!" Indeed.

14 hours ago, Betel Buai said:

Hah!  G'day mate.  Sorry, PUI last night.  Thursday night at the club. I know you too (but I won't out you), and you're smarter than the throw-away line I jumped on.  I guess if you gave a more fullsome response it might make it easy for others to pick your ID.  Anyway, hope all is well.  

Thanks for the kind words (I only wander into PA occasionally to try to fathom what the seppos think of their place in the world these days - it must be deeply embarrassing, eh)

Cheers

14 hours ago, Saorsa said:

No conviction... no crime

8 hours ago, Recidivist said:

Hah!  G'day mate.  Sorry, PUI last night.  Thursday night at the club. I know you too (but I won't out you), and you're smarter than the throw-away line I jumped on.  I guess if you gave a more fullsome response it might make it easy for others to pick your ID.  Anyway, hope all is well.  

Thanks for the kind words (I only wander into PA occasionally to try to fathom what the seppos think of their place in the world these days - it must be deeply embarrassing, eh)

Cheers

Good day to you too sir. You've always been a gentleman that I respect.

I appreciate that you will protect my anonymity. I think you'll be bombarded with PMs though! I want none of these folks linking to my boat blog or FB page. None.

. I think the vociferous left brought the quiet right to the voting booth while they all stayed home and smoked joints. "We won the internet already, we've got this"  :rolleyes:

Oh, Christ that has to be the most narcissistic public wank I've seen. Get some fucking help, BB. That's bloody pathetic.

30 minutes ago, Bent Sailor said:

Oh, Christ that has to be the most narcissistic public wank I've seen. Get some fucking help, BB. That's bloody pathetic.

Barra-Jumping-not-blue.jpg

12 minutes ago, Saorsa said:

Recidivist must chair the Race Committee.

Hey, I often used to (pretty much retired these days), and the protest committee, and the appeals committee. But sorry, Saorsa, I don't get the meaning of your comment?

Anyway, it doesn't matter.  PA is so full of USA centric insider sniping that I'm not interested in engaging. As I said, I just pop in from time to time for insight into the (oops, maybe that's a sensitive topic)...

The only time I post these days is when I'm pissed.  But I'm still watching you ...

Bye

50 minutes ago, Recidivist said:

Hey, I often used to (pretty much retired these days), and the protest committee, and the appeals committee. But sorry, Saorsa, I don't get the meaning of your comment?

Anyway, it doesn't matter.  PA is so full of USA centric insider sniping that I'm not interested in engaging. As I said, I just pop in from time to time for insight into the (oops, maybe that's a sensitive topic)...

The only time I post these days is when I'm pissed.  But I'm still watching you ...

Bye

I probably should have multi-quoted.  That was a response to BS lauding you but the new format only quotes the last entry which was the fish picture.

It was a sort of sailing reference that seems to be missing around here.

13 hours ago, Saorsa said:

I probably should have multi-quoted.  That was a response to BS lauding you but the new format only quotes the last entry which was the fish picture.

It was a sort of sailing reference that seems to be missing around here.

I think I was chair of the race committee when R & I last crossed swords on the race track. BS isn't a sailor.

14 minutes ago, Betel Buai said:

I think I was chair of the race committee when R & I last crossed swords on the race track. BS isn't a sailor.

Liar.

On 6/1/2017 at 7:10 PM, Bent Sailor said:

Yes, but not necessarily is the person arrested & charged the one that conducted the criminal activity. Kind of the point.

One must be careful of whom they associate with.  

12 minutes ago, Rockdog said:

Ah..I see. Guilt by association...Is your middle name McCarthy by any chance?

2 hours ago, Rockdog said:

It is not illegal to be in the same vicinity as someone who riots. Police need to be careful of whom they arrest.