Sign in to follow this  
rumfustian

How do I ask this? Aussies

Recommended Posts

So, I'm visiting Sydney this November for a conference and would like to get out on the water.

But, I'm a black guy and I've heard that some Australians might have some issues with that.

Looking for feedback regarding clubs where I would feel welcome or other black folks down there that sail.

TIA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't say I have seen any evidence of that.  If you can sail and (preferably) drink, then you should do just fine in Sydney.  You might get bagged out for being a "seppo", but that's about it.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If anyone at any Sydney club I've known was to give you a hard time, they'd get a dressing down at least. Hopefully they would be thrown out for ever.

I've sailed with Pacific islanders and there was never any trouble at the club.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/2/2017 at 3:34 AM, rumfustian said:

So, I'm visiting Sydney this November for a conference and would like to get out on the water.

But, I'm a black guy and I've heard that some Australians might have some issues with that.

Looking for feedback regarding clubs where I would feel welcome or other black folks down there that sail.

TIA

You heard wrong.

I'm just trying to imagine some poor old Sydney club receptionist receiving that in an email...:P

You should try it and come back with the responses!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a couple of somali guys, (one on the committee) and a few indians at my club.(though I haven't been there for a while. But were in Melbourne..Can't see Sinney being any different.

It really isn't an issue 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CYCA or MHYC would be best bets to try.   There are some places with crew registers.   

Whoever told you there would be a problem because of skin colour is clearly talking out their arse.   You might get some crap for being American though.  Just bring your drinking money and you will fit right in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/07/2017 at 1:48 PM, Modernrate Buai said:

In 2017 we have issues with Americans, skin colour less so, unless you are an Aboriginal, that in our constitution planned for them to die off, for those law makers a sad situation that led to a referendum in 1967 to allow our original inhabitants to be legally human. Note while many volunteered to fight in WW1,2, Korea they were neve recognised or awarded medals.

This year marks 50 years... http://www.naidoc.org.au/event/when-sky-fell-legacies-1967-referendum

Facts about the goverment fake good news 1967 referendum https://www.creativespirits.info/aboriginalculture/history/australian-1967-referendum#axzz4lpXzKeHB

1967 saw the right to vote and be counted on the census, however we have a big push at the moment to have a new referendum to complete the constitutional rights for First Nation people.

If you look like a Somali then expect some resistence as many have only been here a few years and still scarred from abuse and war, so go off the rails being violent on our streets. If you look at some news outlets it seems an epidemic, but the stats when you include wite Australians sees about 15 to 1 ratio of crime the locals way, that gets a nano second of reporting, compared to the long outrage media cycle against a single event from a refugee.

Remember our media owner became an American citizen so could buy and be your media owner and a fox friend to the trumpster!

If you like wet sailing on the harbour give me a PM & i can set you up for some dinghy fun.

If you visit the CYC and someone thinks you are a boat Nigel then the cash rate is $30 per hour, MHYC $25 lol

I'm not trying to diminish the size of the chip on your shoulder, but please get your facts straight on the 1967 referendum.

The 1949 Commonwealth Electoral Act  gave them the right to vote.

The census did not exclude aboriginies -- the constitution was originally written to exclude them from the count when allocating the number of seats in the lower house. It was intended to prevent Qld and WA from gaining extra seats in the government.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/07/2017 at 1:48 PM, Modernrate Buai said:

In 2017 we have issues with Americans, skin colour less so, unless you are an Aboriginal, that in our constitution planned for them to die off, for those law makers a sad situation that led to a referendum in 1967 to allow our original inhabitants to be legally human. Note while many volunteered to fight in WW1,2, Korea they were neve recognised or awarded medals.

This year marks 50 years... http://www.naidoc.org.au/event/when-sky-fell-legacies-1967-referendum

Facts about the goverment fake good news 1967 referendum https://www.creativespirits.info/aboriginalculture/history/australian-1967-referendum#axzz4lpXzKeHB

1967 saw the right to vote and be counted on the census, however we have a big push at the moment to have a new referendum to complete the constitutional rights for First Nation people.

If you look like a Somali then expect some resistence as many have only been here a few years and still scarred from abuse and war, so go off the rails being violent on our streets. If you look at some news outlets it seems an epidemic, but the stats when you include wite Australians sees about 15 to 1 ratio of crime the locals way, that gets a nano second of reporting, compared to the long outrage media cycle against a single event from a refugee.

Remember our media owner became an American citizen so could buy and be your media owner and a fox friend to the trumpster!

If you like wet sailing on the harbour give me a PM & i can set you up for some dinghy fun.

If you visit the CYC and someone thinks you are a boat Nigel then the cash rate is $30 per hour, MHYC $25 lol

I'm not trying to diminish the size of the chip on your shoulder, but please get your facts straight on the 1967 referendum.

The 1949 Commonwealth Electoral Act  gave them the right to vote.

The census did not exclude aboriginies -- the constitution was originally written to exclude them from the count when allocating the number of seats in the lower house. It was intended to prevent Qld and WA from gaining extra seats in the government.

 

To the OP - as others have said.  Just tell everyone you're Canadian and you'll be fine.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017-06-01 at 2:04 PM, rumfustian said:

I'm a black guy and I've heard that some Australians might have some issues with that.

Some Americans have issues with that too, as I'm sure you know; there are always a few bigots around, in every country. But that small minority does not set the standard in the USA, much less Australia.

The vast majority of sailors value people for their enthusiasm and skill in the sport, rather than such incidentals as race, gender, wealth, social status, etc. There is no need to restrict yourself to specific clubs.

Oz is a wonderful country and you'll have an excellent time. But please don't lie about being Canadian.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having a great time so far in Sydney. I'm working a conference at the ICC so if anyone wants to grab a beer send me a PM. Still working on plans for after the conference ends, thinking of heading up to Surfers Paradise or down to Melbourne. Any suggestions on cheap lodging would be appreciated.

John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/4/2017 at 1:19 PM, gun_fordeckie said:

CYCA or MHYC would be best bets to try.   There are some places with crew registers.   

Whoever told you there would be a problem because of skin colour is clearly talking out their arse.   You might get some crap for being American though.  Just bring your drinking money and you will fit right in.

And don't wear a hat into the club bar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, rumfustian said:

Having a great time so far in Sydney. I'm working a conference at the ICC so if anyone wants to grab a beer send me a PM. Still working on plans for after the conference ends, thinking of heading up to Surfers Paradise or down to Melbourne. Any suggestions on cheap lodging would be appreciated.

John

Your timing is poor...we've been anchored out near Surfer's Paradise for a while, but moved up to Coomera to get the bottom painted this week.

If you will be in SP next week, we'll be back there on Saturday, and will be happy to catch up for a beer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/4/2017 at 1:00 PM, Svanen said:

Oz is a wonderful country and you'll have an excellent time. But please don't lie about being Canadian.

The temptation is pretty huge though, if nothing else to avoid all the damned questions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this