• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Guitar

They're through the wire!

Every good soldier's worst nightmare. It's worse when you hear it at night.

Raised bed in the garden with a lot of thought, dug down 25" clearing all the rocks out, refilling with potting soil/ soil mix with chicken wire in the hole before I filled it.

Fucking gopher got through the wire and is chomping my crops right at ground level. I was able to get my pepper plant in water with just two roots showing and I may be able to save it. Luckily we moved our potatoes, tomatoes and other larger plants into the grow bags this year and have them all up on platforms off the ground. I think the raised bed will be ornamental by next year.

18766801_1096783280453970_21206213826209

Got two cats, thinking about locking them in the garden for a couple of nights.

This is war!

You need some Bouncing Betty's or maybe a Claymore or two. Just remember, with the Claymores the curve goes toward the gophers.......that's important.....

Are you sure it's gophers? If the plants are small enough cut worms can cut them down at ground level. And you won't even know they were there 

A bit of a tunnel system being used, I've called in some tunnel rats to get them out. Rodentator next. 

50 minutes ago, chinabald said:

Are you sure it's gophers? If the plants are small enough cut worms can cut them down at ground level. And you won't even know they were there 

my thouht to, loste allotta broccolli to thoise littelle demones.

Fucking rabbits'll do a job too.....

Ummmmm............. Not .... Never mind......

Cut worms, tomato horn worms, nematodes, grasshoppers, deer, pretty much anything that moves here besides me gets my garden before I do. I started tomatoes and cukes in hanging pots with nasturtiums planted along side, and that's worked OK, but gotta be watered every damned day, and have mulched compost added every week, or they go anemic.

Our new mini aussie pup has the run of the backyard that used to be full of the little varmints. They have since vamanosed!

WL

We did our box with half inch construction wire on bottom wrapped up the sides on outside and stapled very tightly. 2nd year and still no issues and the ground arounf the box has gophers galore. We have a gopher control guy come by and I shoot 2 or 3 per year. Gopher guy kills the rest.

1 hour ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

We did our box with half inch construction wire on bottom wrapped up the sides on outside and stapled very tightly. 2nd year and still no issues and the ground arounf the box has gophers galore. We have a gopher control guy come by and I shoot 2 or 3 per year. Gopher guy kills the rest.

That's a pretty good idea......the wrap underneath. I'm filing that away.

They walk on the surface too. Probably climb a low fence. One was crossing the highway here last week.

Mom used a .22 with a scope from the back porch. Seedling wiggles...pop. But no neighbors here.

Just had a lawn put in. 1/2" square galvanized stuff about 6" down

3 hours ago, daddle said:

They walk on the surface too. Probably climb a low fence. One was crossing the highway here last week.

Mom used a .22 with a scope from the back porch. Seedling wiggles...pop. But no neighbors here.

"If...You might be a redneck."B)

On 6/2/2017 at 0:42 AM, Frers381 said:

Our new mini aussie pup has the run of the backyard that used to be full of the little varmints. They have since vamanosed!

WL

+1 Riley is a very nice old Pit Bull, very nice to humans... If you got four legs he's your worst nightmare. Death on the prowl in my sister in laws fenced back yard. No bunnys, rodents, moles, tunneling gophers, ground hogs, squirrels, chipmunks. He gets them all as meals served warm, when he's not chewing his foot ball.

I think we will make the raised bed a lattice of boards to support grow bags. I've had it with planting in the dirt. Trees, yes, produce, nope. May save my pepper.

7 minutes ago, Guitar said:

I think we will make the raised bed a lattice of boards to support grow bags. I've had it with planting in the dirt. Trees, yes, produce, nope. May save my pepper.

The birds (worms and slugs, too, maybe) will thank you for that. They were frustrated with the gopher's killing of the crop before the fruit set. Heh.

Jesus, the Green Beanies...

The movie that ended with the sun setting over the South China Sea, which is just as reasonable and accurate as the rest of that movie.

First World problems, meh...   For 30 years the Missus did battle with the woodchucks, moles, chimpmunks and deer. Even had snapping turtles come up from the cove and dig up gardens to lay eggs in.   Now her only worries are bees, which she is highly allergic to, at her three ten foot long flower boxes on the railings of the 15 x 15 deck, way up off the ground.  Downsizing can be rewarding in many ways!!

I have seen dry ice used to get rid of rats in their burrows.  Scoop some in and block the hole, as it evaporates it displaces the air and suffocates them.  Works so well that animal rights people don't like it to be used.

5 hours ago, BOKSAROX said:

I have seen dry ice used to get rid of rats in their burrows.  Scoop some in and block the hole, as it evaporates it displaces the air and suffocates them.  Works so well that animal rights people don't like it to be used.

That's an excellent solution!!  How come the "Bunny Huggers" don't like it?  Bycatch of earthworms or moles/voles/chipmunks?  Our previous cat, Caramel (RIP) would sit next to a chipmunk hole staring intentedly for hours, but he was not successful enough to put much of a dent in them...

This is my A team training...

Zombie gophers, they play dead until night.

On 6/1/2017 at 6:40 PM, Point Break said:

You need some Bouncing Betty's or maybe a Claymore or two. Just remember, with the Claymores the curve goes toward the gophers.......that's important.....

:lol::lol::lol:

Gave up on the peppers, didn't make it, but I think the action I put on the garden with the pitchfork may have got that bastard.

C'mon guys! First world problems require a first world solution.

Edit: of course you won't be using a paintball gun.