random

Will Larry replace Jimmy with Peter?

^

I think so too. Has their ever been such a determinedly invisible team principal as a defender?

35 minutes ago, jaysper said:

Larry will walk away from the AC if they lose

No. He'll be booted out!

2 hours ago, Qman said:

PB will lead the AC defence in auckland! Sir peter B..... had a ring 

Nah. Sir Grant has more of a realistic ring to it. Plenty of time for Pistol Pete. He's just getting warmed up.

Besides, it's the money man who is the real winner in this AC game.

2 minutes ago, Jazz Freak said:

If Oracle lose I reckon JS,TS et al would look at challenging with the Roo's

Where will the money come from?

2 minutes ago, Jazz Freak said:

Oatleys

Nah. I'm thinking that was a one-shot pony. And a pretty piss poor effort it was too. It'll have to be a new "investor", IMO.

Just now, Sailbydate said:

Nah. I'm thinking that was a one-shot pony. And a pretty piss poor effort it was too. It'll have to be a new "investor", IMO.

yeah i know, but maybe the appeal of having JS & TS might sway them

Possibly, like all NZ winners before him Peter and the gang will take the money and run to a team like Alinghi or even Artemis. Just like Coutts and Butterworth the cup can't stay in NZ forever as they don't have the money to keep their best sailors. The cup would never have left NZ if it weren't for Alinghi and the Coutts/Butterworth defection. It eventually gave the opportunity for USA to win in the year of stupidity. The Multihulls should stay IMO

27 minutes ago, Alinghi4ever said:

The Money will come see Ben Ainslie and the British Challenge. Spithill & Slingsby are household Names in Australia. If they promote themselves & Sailing correctly it should be easy to find some sponsors similar like it was for Ben in the UK.

Ainslie has a silver and four golds across five consecutive Olympics. He has recognition well beyond those who follow sailing. Are Spithill and Slingsby really household names in Australia?

5 minutes ago, marlowe said:

Ainslie has a silver and four golds across five consecutive Olympics. He has recognition well beyond those who follow sailing. Are Spithill and Slingsby really household names in Australia?

Spithill most definitely not. Nathan and Goobs much more so than most sailors, Slingsby would be 2nd tier.

No Aus challenge in the foreseeable future unless maybe Witty twists the arm of his Chinese Sugar Daddy??

Will Mercedes replace Bottas with Vettel?

PB is a fast driver. If a team owner wants to secure his services for more than one AC, they will have to offer him a contract that makes it worth his while.  He would be wise to prefer a contract that gives him a competitive drive. Say what you like about TNZ but they have been very consistent about producing competitive boats.

23 minutes ago, Last Post said:

Spithill most definitely not. Nathan and Goobs much more so than most sailors, Slingsby would be 2nd tier.

No Aus challenge in the foreseeable future unless maybe Witty twists the arm of his Chinese Sugar Daddy??

That's not likely

On 6/3/2017 at 0:20 AM, Alinghi4ever said:

Actually aside from being a decent Helmsman and a good guy Burlings impact to Team NZ is probably a little bit overrated. The real behind the scenes dirty work so that Burling can enjoy himself on the water is done by Glenn Ashby, Ray Davies, Grant Dalton and the Veterans on Team NZ.

You want to be a really good Team Leader heading into AC 36  Burling wouldn't necessarily my Man to lead a Team. He doesn't have the resume like Spithill, Ainslie, Barker or Iain Percy and that is what do you do when it gets tough.

Has had Peter Burling ever a sticky situation where he had to get out of? He's winning because the Boat(s) he drives is faster than anyone elses most of the time. It's basically kumbaya for him at the moment.

Jimmy, Deano, Benny and Iain had some really, really tough situations to overcome in recent years.

So you reckon winning Moth Worlds, 49 er Worlds and 49er Olympic Gold are not "sticky situations"? Those are 0ne Designs so the boats don't count, its all up to the sailors. Didn't notice Spithill at the Moth Worlds in Melbourne when every other key player in this AC cycle was racing there. Regardless of which ride he's on, PB is hands down the best sailor at the AC this go round. He probably doesn't want to be the Team Leader, he has bigger fish to fry.

As for Spithill, he doesn't enjoy much popular acclaim here in Australia where his greatest achievement is seen as latching on to a  gold plated meal ticket and hanging on with dogged determination while his boss spends like a drunken sailor, because he can. That's what keeps Jimmy on top but he ain't showing up outside of AC because HE knows he wont cut it.

On 6/3/2017 at 0:20 AM, Alinghi4ever said:

Has had Peter Burling ever a sticky situation where he had to get out of? He's winning because the Boat(s) he drives is faster than anyone elses most of the time. It's basically kumbaya for him at the moment.

What made PB's 49er faster than all the others at Rio?

What has Spithill actually achieved other than a win in the last 2 AC's in faster boats?

1 minute ago, Inshallah said:

What made PB's 49er faster than all the others at Rio?

What has Spithill actually achieved other than a win in the last 2 AC's in faster boats?

Pre-Xactly!

JS doesn't show up to race anything else because he knows he wont cut it in today's world of sailing outside the AC bubble

On 6/2/2017 at 9:16 PM, Jazz Freak said:

Oatleys

Have already shown they can't play with the big boys toys.

38 minutes ago, Last Post said:

Pre-Xactly!

JS doesn't show up to race anything else because he knows he wont cut it in today's world of sailing outside the AC bubble

Very evident in the skippers press confs.

Burling would not be first choice on either Oracle, BAR or Artemis. He has been making a lot of mistakes and his starting has been, at best, average. In a slower boat, everybody would be calling for his head. It is hard to tell how much of this is his fault and how much of it is due to too little time on the water, at the venue and not practice racing, plus having too much to do as he is the only helm also calling the shots. Boatspeed makes you a tactical genius.

3 hours ago, Last Post said:

So you reckon winning Moth Worlds, 49 er Worlds and 49er Olympic Gold are not "sticky situations"? Those are 0ne Designs so the boats don't count, its all up to the sailors. Didn't notice Spithill at the Moth Worlds in Melbourne when every other key player in this AC cycle was racing there. Regardless of which ride he's on, PB is hands down the best sailor at the AC this go round.

One design moths, eh?  Whoever knew that?  It's not even an Olympic class, so hardly the creme de la creme worthy of putting on your CV.  And just the one Olympic medal?  

PB is a good sailor no doubt, but actually better than the others?  Hmmmm.

I have to admit (sadly) that Spithill made Burling look like a schoolboy last outing.

But I'm still impressed with Burling, he is on the rise, the force is strong with him.

51 minutes ago, sosoomii said:

One design moths, eh?  Whoever knew that?  It's not even an Olympic class, so hardly the creme de la creme worthy of putting on your CV.  And just the one Olympic medal?  

PB is a good sailor no doubt, but actually better than the others?  Hmmmm.

Worlds in most classes are way harder to win than Olympic medals. Olympics sees the best only  from each country competing whereas some countries might have many  sailors better than the next best Olympian from anywhere else.

Moths are effectively one design at the business end at Worlds level and the point I make here is that they are a foiling class. I guess that's why everyone who matters in AC was there at the Worlds... with the notable exception of Jimmy

PB has just two Olympic medals so far; 1 Gold and 1 Silver. Tell me, how's Jimmy doing on that score?

A well funded campaign isn't going to come from one person (or family) but it does need an individual, preferably influential, ruthless, egotistical, uncompromising to drive it.. (is there anyone like that in sailing?), then get a sponsor with very deep pockets. My personal favorite would be Lotto... after all we built an opera house that way! First it needs Team NZ to win so the Cup is in the neighborhood, Which as an Aussie is tough as up until now I was rooting for Team Oracle Australia. 

51 minutes ago, Last Post said:

Worlds in most classes are way harder to win than Olympic medals. Olympics sees the best only  from each country competing whereas some countries might have many  sailors better than the next best Olympian from anywhere else.

Moths are effectively one design at the business end at Worlds level and the point I make here is that they are a foiling class. I guess that's why everyone who matters in AC was there at the Worlds... with the notable exception of Jimmy

PB has just two Olympic medals so far; 1 Gold and 1 Silver. Tell me, how's Jimmy doing on that score?

There is no doubt JS is not well liked in Melbourne but I am not so sure for the rest of Aus.  By the way JS has won at least two World Champs that I can think of.

1 hour ago, Last Post said:

Moths are most definitely not OD at the front. I'm not going to defend Jimmy but his AC record (the one that really matters) isn't shabby. Don't remember Ben, Giles, Iain doing the Moth worlds?

In the 1980s Worlds may have been harder, but these days just qualifying for the Olympics is harder if you are from a top sailing nation. 

If OR lose the cup, LE will pack up, and take his money.

1. RC will be out of a job (and maybe the best $ job in yachting history will end). RC will continue to advise how he saved the AC and made it sustainable and NZ just can not do, not have the vision, to do the ACWS et al. (please recall that this event actually is the most sustainable sporting event in the world by some margin.

2. JS will be out of a job and will not be hired by any other team bar small new teams

3. ACM equipment will be offered to RNZYS in a sweetheart deal as LE parting gift to AC

4. OR team will be disbanded,as without LE money its massive costs can not be sustained

5. ACWS will stop, as it was only operating with LE balance sheet support.

6. PB LR and TNZ will sit down and restructure an AC which will primarily focus on an international regatta to be held in Auckland in 2021 or 22

7.  Many new teams will look at Auckland as the Mono's will more attractive to new teams.

12 minutes ago, Barnyb said:

If OR lose the cup, LE will pack up, and take his money.

1. RC will be out of a job (and maybe the best $ job in yachting history will end). RC will continue to advise how he saved the AC and made it sustainable and NZ just can not do, not have the vision, to do the ACWS et al. (please recall that this event actually is the most sustainable sporting event in the world by some margin.

2. JS will be out of a job and will not be hired by any other team bar small new teams

3. ACM equipment will be offered to RNZYS in a sweetheart deal as LE parting gift to AC

4. OR team will be disbanded,as without LE money its massive costs can not be sustained

5. ACWS will stop, as it was only operating with LE balance sheet support.

6. PB LR and TNZ will sit down and restructure an AC which will primarily focus on an international regatta to be held in Auckland in 2021 or 22

7.  Many new teams will look at Auckland as the Mono's will more attractive to new teams.

Agree with most of this. But alas I think if etnz were to win, they would retain these stupid fucking cats.

2 hours ago, Last Post said:

Worlds in most classes are way harder to win than Olympic medals.

Bullshit. I know people who have won major Worlds who would also say that is bullshit. Worlds  in most classes can be won by people who actually hold down a real job.

56 minutes ago, barfy said:

fuck you and this stupid fucking thread.

PB is a kiwi FFS.

get a grip

And so is Russell Coutts

laughing-gifs-foolish-human.gif

didnt spithill win every single start on young australia when he was younger than burling is now?

16 hours ago, Last Post said:

Pre-Xactly!

What I'd say. 

He has a big mouth for all it's worth. 

15 hours ago, Barnyb said:

Watch out. We older ones know what many others know, and certainly JS knows, now that he's pushing 40: "The worst thing about growing old is that others stop seeing you as dangerous." —Lt. Rorke, SEAL Team 7

Yep here we go.  They are modelling the entire thing on Formula 1, something they have referred to numerous times.

A travelling biilboard show, the ultimate debasement and death of the AC as we know it.

The only thing that can stop it is NZ winning this time.  But I have this nagging suspicion that Larry has a contingency plan for that anyway.  Nothing left to chance.  People have been made to disappear for less.

24 minutes ago, Captain Gal said:

Aw, Barnyb and jaysper, guess you missed the news. LE will be back in 2019. Me, too. And you?
http://www.royalgazette.com/americas-cup---sport/article/20170125/revamped-americas-cup-proposed-to-usher-new-era

Ok, so this is a busted arse thread.

But, I don't see ANYWHERE in that article that committed Lazza to the next cup if he doesn't win it this time.

4 hours ago, Captain Gal said:

Watch out. We older ones know what many others know, and certainly JS knows, now that he's pushing 40: "The worst thing about growing old is that others stop seeing you as dangerous." —Lt. Rorke, SEAL Team 7

"The best thing about getting old is every year there are more young women." - my dad. ;)

19 hours ago, random said:

And so is Russell Coutts

laughing-gifs-foolish-human.gif

touche :)

But he didn't do it until he got old and greed overcame scruples. I reckon we got a few years of honour left in PB.

4 hours ago, Captain Gal said:

Aw, Barnyb and jaysper, guess you missed the news. LE will be back in 2019. Me, too. And you?
http://www.royalgazette.com/americas-cup---sport/article/20170125/revamped-americas-cup-proposed-to-usher-new-era

Firstly as someone else has pointed out there is nothing that says OTUSA would be back as a challenger.

Secondly it has to be likely that the Match will include ETNZ who have a realistic chance of winning, albeit OTUSA looks stronger.

So the only actual content in that whole piece is the statement that if OTUSA is the defender there won't be a Qualifiers. So presumably (!) the defender wouldn't get to line up against challengers. On the other hand, I find the Qualifiers one of the more interesting stages.

21 hours ago, dogwatch said:

Bullshit. I know people who have won major Worlds who would also say that is bullshit. Worlds  in most classes can be won by people who actually hold down a real job.

What about a Worlds in an Olympic Class?

not disagreeing with you re which is harder to win..... they are both hard in different ways.  You also have fewer opportunities to win an Olympic medal.