Savage2288

Brand new and totally ignorant

yeah i watched that one. and the one of the sealion dragging the little girl in......I feel like those are 2 different situations though because people were actively interacting with the sea lion ( not a good thing) and people seem to be leaving the leopard seal alone and hoping she leaves. I kind of agree that a wildlife management organization needs to rehome her... she IS cute though

but by the same token, our gator is cute and as wildlife advocates/rehabbers we are happy to have it here.....that doesnt mean we wont have it rehomed if its still around when its 11 feet long and trying to eat the neighbors

18 minutes ago, Lark said:

Yes. 

i added it to my cart. my husband approves of you encouraging me to be reasonable.

back to the subject of reasonable expectations of sailing.... here is the log of the guy who sailed up the red river from the mississippi to shreveport if anyone is interested. apparently my little river is rough

The Red River, Louisiana, USA - Rookie Sailing south

2 hours ago, Savage2288 said:
2 hours ago, fastyacht said:

Well they do get gators in Manhattan but that's well, NY and anything goes there.

there arent gators in manhattan! youre pullin my leg!

We had a pest control company up in Rhode Island that offered free alligator removal.

Although tongue in cheek, they may live to regret that.

https://patch.com/rhode-island/eastgreenwich/bp--alligators-in-rhode-island

2 hours ago, fastyacht said:

We had a Manatee up here a year or two back.

One of those was spotted in the bay I used to live on in Rhode Island, too.

18 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

We had a pest control company up in Rhode Island that offered free alligator removal.

the poor thing =[ I am SO SICK of asshole people releasing pets into the wild to fend for themselves.

Just checked out your blog and I'm so impressed! @B J Porter

24 minutes ago, Savage2288 said:

Just checked out your blog and I'm so impressed! @B J Porter

I haven't updated it in months...

I've always wanted to blog but I've never managed to do it more than one or 2 entries.

1 hour ago, Savage2288 said:

I've always wanted to blog but I've never managed to do it more than one or 2 entries.

It helps to be doing something interesting, which the last couple of months have not been.

3 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

very real in queensland very cute as tiny pets but chucked out as they grow, were reports of belly marks in the maroochydore river 1980

37 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

It helps to be doing something interesting, which the last couple of months have not been.

i'd trade that non-interesting australian port for my european office view for a week if you want....

7 hours ago, Savage2288 said:

lol nope. im a vegetarian. hes safe here.

Yeah, but he's not a vegetarian. Stop feeding him or Fido will go missing one day...and perhaps one of your arms or legs.

I was born and raised in Ft. Myers, FL. As a teen, I worked in land surveying and surveyed many undeveloped parcels of land with marsh, etc. I know gators.

1 hour ago, Simon75 said:

i'd trade that non-interesting australian port for my european office view for a week if you want....

I don't know, I've not been to Europe in 20+ years, though we'll be there for Will's graduation next year.

The port are lovely, we just haven't been doing much interesting.

Pretty soon though, I will start a thread to regale you all with the details of my impending battery failure/LiFePO4 upgrade project.

Oooh, do share that, BJ!  I'm very curious about LiFePO4 in the marine environment and what the risks and rewards may be. Costs also.

4 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

well....we run an exotic animal rescue (pets like reptiles...not like zoo animals) and I work at the World's Only Tattoo School that had a show on TLC for a while etc. so I have plenty to blog about, I just never can seem to focus long enough to get my anecdotes down in words.

2 hours ago, Ajax said:

Yeah, but he's not a vegetarian. Stop feeding him or Fido will go missing one day...and perhaps one of your arms or legs.

I was born and raised in Ft. Myers, FL. As a teen, I worked in land surveying and surveyed many undeveloped parcels of land with marsh, etc. I know gators.

I know =/ he came down from the neighbors pond and they were feeding him hot dogs so I gave him a pork chop to get some good photos of him....but you're right. we shouldn't feed him. even after he moves on (our pond is super small) he could end up being a problem for someone else in the future. *sigh* being a grown up sucks.

9 hours ago, fastyacht said:

What is the bird singing in your gator video?

my sister the bird watcher doesn't know what bird that is so now she's all excited lol it's probably a mocking bird

now because I shared some of my "fanciful" personal info I feel like I'm in danger of being called a sock puppet again =/ to be honest that's why I usually try to stay fairly anonymous  and don't engage with people much because people don't believe me....I just like y'all.

49 minutes ago, Ajax said:

Oooh, do share that, BJ!  I'm very curious about LiFePO4 in the marine environment and what the risks and rewards may be. Costs also.

I will be starting a thread soon. Just getting my ducks in a row a little more first.

20 minutes ago, Savage2288 said:

now because I shared some of my "fanciful" personal info I feel like I'm in danger of being called a sock puppet again =/ to be honest that's why I usually try to stay fairly anonymous  and don't engage with people much because people don't believe me....I just like y'all.

I don't think you're in danger of being taken for a sock by anyone.

thanks. that makes me feel better. I should probably add my Facebook account to my profile... I didn't at first because I wasn't sure if I would want to be terribly contactable but I like all of y'all so I don't see a reason not to now.

22 minutes ago, Savage2288 said:

well...I guess I'm not really sure where to add a Facebook account . it's really the only social media I use.

We don't have Facebook listed as one of the social media contact methods for some reason.

Probably not your best option anyway, since that goes direct to the real you. We're a nice lot that you've been dealing with, but there are some creepy people lurking.

Not many of us are on here with real names, which makes finding people on FB more interesting.

Bill Garden once told somebody, "Bob's office is easy to find. It's the place with all the sand bags piled up around it.

BWAHAHAHAHA my kinda folks

Originally saw your threads pop up and thought this was some kind of lunatic fringe nut case and ignored it.  But was bored over lunch and thought oh come on nobody is this... uh... nevermind....  Just know that after taking another look it took just a few clicks and moments to figure out you were real and....  do yourself a favor and delete the FB references and other stuff.  I post under the name that most folks know me by and I'm easy to find and don't mind.  As BJ said there are fruitcakes on this site for sure and if you don't want to be found for whatever reason stop leaving a trail.  Other than that its none my biz... oh and good luck with that boat.  Standing by on 16; out.

4 minutes ago, Wess said:

Originally saw your threads pop up and thought this was some kind of lunatic fringe nut case and ignored it.  But was bored over lunch and thought oh come on nobody is this... uh... nevermind....  Just know that after taking another look it took just a few clicks and moments to figure out you were real and....  do yourself a favor and delete the FB references and other stuff.  I post under the name that most folks know me by and I'm easy to find and don't mind.  As BJ said there are fruitcakes on this site for sure and if you don't want to be found for whatever reason stop leaving a trail.  Other than that its none my biz... oh and good luck with that boat.  Standing by on 16; out.

0_o

oh lord..... I'm not sure how to take that bit about "nobody is this..." this what?

I will go back through and delete stuff but I honestly don't think it will matter. there can't be more fruitcakes on here than there are on Facebook.

Thanks for the luck wishes!

I am not afraid of being found. I use a false name on Facebook because I used to roleplay online in highschool and was trying to reconnect with my friends from that time who didn't know my real name....so I guess I use a fake name in order to BE found. If I were afraid to be found I would not use the internet. =/

It's just the internet.  There are many ways in this world for weirdos to find you, and personally I just don't worry about it.  But there's no reason to over-share unless you want to.  Sailing Anarchy is pretty self-contained and you can be whomever you want to be here.  Just don't be a tiresome jerk.  Savage, I don't think that will become an issue for you here.

5 minutes ago, valis said:

It's just the internet.  There are many ways in this world for weirdos to find you, and personally I just don't worry about it.  But there's no reason to over-share unless you want to.  Sailing Anarchy is pretty self-contained and you can be whomever you want to be here.  Just don't be a tiresome jerk.  Savage, I don't think that will become an issue for you here.

why thankya! the only thing I am usually hesitant to share is health issue related stuff because it tends to spiral on me and I have a difficult time reeling the information flow back in. other than that I tend to be an open book.

Have you been able to get the mast vertical yet?

29 minutes ago, hobot said:

That's kinda personal, don't you think?

18 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

read back....it's pertinent

10 hours ago, Ishmael said:

AHAHAHAHAHA stop it

11 hours ago, hobot said:

it's been raining every day by the time Mr Savage is available to help me so no =/ but I did get all my paperwork mailed off to wildlife and fisheries for my registration yesterday!

On 6/5/2017 at 2:29 PM, d'ranger said:

cbs mentioned sika - is that sikaflex? Never thought about it for boats but it gets specked in for crack repair in concrete pavement. I used some to repair some cracks in my driveway and patio and years later it is still indestructable.  Can now get it at the  Home depot places. 

edit: anything not boat specific costs a fraction of boat parts. 

We use sikaflex when remodel swimming pools. Drill a hole 6" deep, fill with Sika, knock in a piece of rebar. Then we cover it with Shotcrete and plaster before we fill the pool with thousands gallons (read many tons). The plaster will never crack (the steel will never move)

If you look at the strength of shotcrete steel, , and Sika, you will find the Sika is stronger than concrete.  So if you hooked a backhoe to the steel and yanked it out of the concrete you would wind up with a chunk of concrete on the end of the rebar.  

Moral of the story: never use Sika on anything that MAY ever have to come apart again. Very few uses on the boat. 

Same for 5200 I believe

Edit - sorry not sikaflex we use sikadur 32. Same company, but this is is a waterproof structural epoxy. Different than sikaflex. 

Sorry =/ we have a hurricane coming through and between battening hatches and my health problems flaring up I haven't gotten anything done. I promise I will post an update asap

Glad to see you haven't given up on us here.  Looking forward to reading abound your boat adventures.  

Mast is up! Luckily there is a notch in the overhang of the front of the cabin that holds it really secure because I forgot to make sure the spreaders were oriented correctly and now I cant get the shrouds (wrong word?) into the notches lol. I also used the gator patch to fix the little damaged spots on the bow. I think I'm a fan of the gator patches. Once I get the shrouds attached to the chainplates and seal up the fiberglass damage there I will give the whole thing a good scrub. I neglected to sign my paperwork for the registration and LDWF mailed them back =[ ugh I'm so sick of being such a flake. So now I have to wait longer. Also, Lark found me the Owner's manual so that is super helpful.

I made a video of the Gator Patches after I put them on and before they were sanded but it was taking forever to upload so I will upload it from wifi in town. I was going to take some pics or another video after they were sanded so yall could see how they did but I wasnt happy with how much paint was being taken off around them so I had Mr. Savage stop sanding them since I was not planning on painting.

1 hour ago, Savage2288 said:

I made a video of the Gator Patches after I put them on and before they were sanded but it was taking forever to upload so I will upload it from wifi in town. I was going to take some pics or another video after they were sanded so yall could see how they did but I wasnt happy with how much paint was being taken off around them so I had Mr. Savage stop sanding them since I was not planning on painting.

Not sure how much time you would want to spend on that vs being on the water asap, but you could mask the non sanded area with thin sacrificial wood, or thin aluminum until you got close to the level you want, and then use a Dremel or similar to round off any edges. 

Practically you really only need to remove burs so the headsail, sheets or toes don't catch. 

Glad to hear that you got the mast up.

I'm not sure where you're launching the boat but make sure that there are no powerlines between you and the water. This is always a concern with trailered sailboats.

Best case: You rip the boat off the trailer and suffer some embarrassment.

Worst case: You electrocute yourself or an innocent bystander.

8 hours ago, dfw_sailor_wannabe said:

Not sure how much time you would want to spend on that vs being on the water asap, but you could mask the non sanded area with thin sacrificial wood, or thin aluminum until you got close to the level you want, and then use a Dremel or similar to round off any edges. 

Practically you really only need to remove burs so the headsail, sheets or toes don't catch. 

I may be using the wrong word when I say "bow" they are not on the deck. These are on the front between the deck and the waterline and they are damage from the boat not being seated properly on the trailer.

10 minutes ago, Ajax said:

Glad to hear that you got the mast up.

I'm not sure where you're launching the boat but make sure that there are no powerlines between you and the water. This is always a concern with trailered sailboats.

Best case: You rip the boat off the trailer and suffer some embarrassment.

Worst case: You electrocute yourself or an innocent bystander.

We will have to take it down and trailer it to the water and put it back up. This is just to figure out the process, where everything goes , and attempt to look like less of a moron when I actually do it for launch.

Got it.

Don't worry, plenty of antics at the local boat ramp. Your moment of infamy will be short-lived. ;)

Do you have a working motor?     I think once you get the registration you're ready to pick a light wind day and splash her.   I suggest 5-10 mph, no gusts over 15 until you get to know her.  That's been a challenge a few states north, I've reefed all but 2 days out of a dozen so far.   My fearless girlfriend had second thoughts and asked me  not to leave the dock yesterday (winds to 26, gusts to 33 mph) so we just caught up on repairs.    One reefing exception was my nearly windless launch day in early April.   I did it solo but practice what I preach.  Pick a weekday but dodge the fourth to avoid long lines of heat addled three weekend a year powerboaters at the ramp.   The bassboats often have evening tournaments, at least up north, so if you need to pull it back out but see them at the ramp, just wait a couple minutes for the tournament to start and you'll have a couple hours at the ramp all to yourself.   Those guys pull and pluck every week in all weather, so they are fast and efficient.   Planning reduces your pressure.   

I have the coolest little 1945 evenrude 7hp outboard. The Po gave it to me with the boat and he kept it super clean and in great shape.

Just now, Savage2288 said:

I have the coolest little 1945 evenrude 7hp outboard. The Po gave it to me with the boat and he kept it super clean and in great shape.

Those old motors last.    If it dies there is a restaurant in Oscoda on lake Huron decorated with old outboards.   Maybe they will buy it.    A Venture 17 couple also changed their mind yesterday at the ramp.   They use a  1967 Evinrude.   My little boat uses a comparatively new 1981 Evinrude 4, I had to replace the starter spring once.   My mechanic says I'm wrong, but I swear the old polluting 2 cycles are more forgiving for moisture in the ethenol.   Ethanol will corrode any metal fuel tank or lines in your antique.   I have no advice.    I have a modern Tohatso 6 on the 22, since the 4 hp prop was too small and I was blown backward at full throttle.    Fortunately I found an empty slip before I hit the wall.   My class forum (Rhodes 22) is discussing electric motors and aviation ethanol free fuel,  but I'm not sure how the motor would like 100 octane.   I put two additives in the tank and still have to dump fuel often.    Tohatso makes most of the new small motors, so brand name doesn't matter much.   I'll probably buy an electric if the Tohatso is stolen or wears out, unless I start motoring for hours.   

luckily there are still lots of places around here that sell ethanol free gas so I'll probably just keep some of that around. where I will be boating I will probably have to motor quite frequently so I want to take the best care of this little motor I can. eventually I will get a new one but I'm on a shoestring right now

15 minutes ago, Savage2288 said:

luckily there are still lots of places around here that sell ethanol free gas so I'll probably just keep some of that around. where I will be boating I will probably have to motor quite frequently so I want to take the best care of this little motor I can. eventually I will get a new one but I'm on a shoestring right now

LUCKY DUCK!

1 hour ago, fastyacht said:

LUCKY DUCK!

You want Saybrook Lawn & Power, 37 Lynde St, Old Saybrook, CT

They sell 94 octane ethanol-free gas.

I'm going to start feeding that stuff to all of my gas equipment.

46 minutes ago, RedRyder said:

You want Saybrook Lawn & Power, 37 Lynde St, Old Saybrook, CT

They sell 94 octane ethanol-free gas.

I'm going to start feeding that stuff to all of my gas equipment.

REALLY!
But not $20/gal like the auto parts store?

5 minutes ago, fastyacht said:

REALLY!
But not $20/gal like the auto parts store?

It comes out of an actual pump and you don't need to buy it in cans. Probably like $4-5 a gallon. My cost-benefit analysis says that it will probably reduce my need for Tylenol headaches replacing little tubes and miscellaneous corroded stuff in carburetors by at least that much.

https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=OH

You guys inspired me.    It appears I can get ethanol free gas, if I drive a bit.   Maybe this will help somebody else.   You can search by state / province.   

9 hours ago, Savage2288 said:

We will have to take it down and trailer it to the water and put it back up. This is just to figure out the process, where everything goes , and attempt to look like less of a moron when I actually do it for launch.

Congratulations, another step!

The real morons are the ones who don't even try to figure out the process until they get to the ramp, so you're way ahead of the game!

1 hour ago, CruiserJim said:

Congratulations, another step!

The real morons are the ones who don't even try to figure out the process until they get to the ramp, so you're way ahead of the game!

Thank you! I am trying my best to be the least moronic I can manage to be lol

4 hours ago, Lark said:

https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=OH

You guys inspired me.    It appears I can get ethanol free gas, if I drive a bit.   Maybe this will help somebody else.   You can search by state / province.   

Lark:  Site bookmarked. Thank you for posting that. Very cool 

4 hours ago, Savage2288 said:

Thank you! I am trying my best to be the least moronic I can manage to be lol

Damn.  You're the coolest newby in a decade, at least.  I said it before, but I like your style.  I hope you kick ass at sailing--because the attitude is perfect.

2 hours ago, Whisper said:

Damn.  You're the coolest newby in a decade, at least.  I said it before, but I like your style.  I hope you kick ass at sailing--because the attitude is perfect.

Oh my Jesus tap-dancing Christ this makes me so happy! XD and I hope so too because that would be the best thing EVER.

I went through the same stuff when I bought an old trailer sailer a couple of years ago. You learn the setting up fast, just take your time. If you rush you'll probably forget to put the rudder on.

Make sure your halyards are routed properly as they tend to get twisted up after being in storage for a while. Especially if the shrouds have been off.

Lubricating the blocks is a good idea - I dealt with stiff squeaky blocks longer than I should have. Do the swivels as well as the bearings. I used Sailkote but the others here likely have opinions about this. I also found taking the winches apart and cleaning them made a big difference.

There will be plenty of time for maintenance over the next few years. Go sailing early and often. 

ugh. life is wearing me out. just got back from New Orleans (took 3 damn hours to drive through baton rouge because the traffic was so backed up) and now tomorrow we have to drive to Duluth . the only update I have is that I got my registration back so once I get home in a week and put that on I can actually christen it and hit the water!!!!

I wish I could bully my husband into trailering my little boat up to MN with us so I could sail on lake Superior but he steadfastly refuses.

Once you get your boat out on the water, post a picture of the happy moment!

2 minutes ago, py26129 said:

Once you get your boat out on the water, post a picture of the happy moment!

will do!!!

Cool!

21 hours ago, Savage2288 said:

I wish I could bully my husband into trailering my little boat up to MN with us so I could sail on lake Superior but he steadfastly refuses.

Don't bully him. Offer a reward. Easier to catch flies with honey, honey, than vinegar.

FB- Doug

lol any time I say "bully my husband" I'm talking about catching flies with honey ;) it just sounds tougher to call it bullying.

but he still refuses to budge about the boat. He's probably right. Until I get everything  figured out it will probably be better to be near home when I sail.

11 minutes ago, Savage2288 said:

but he still refuses to budge about the boat. He's probably right. Until I get everything  figured out it will probably be better to be near home when I sail.

I think Mr. Savage is wise (this time).   Road trips to follow, but it will make the drive slower and you don't know what your weather window is yet.   Just remember you're missing out on some good sailing.   Saw two people finally launching up here this weekend, and an S2 doesn't have his mast up.   Our season is half over already (April - November if you're enthusiastic and trailer launch after they shut down the marina, June - October for normal people).   

Mr Savage tends to be right about these sort of things....blast his eyes.

He is an excellent Quartermaster but a terrible pirate.....too "by the book" but I suppose one of us should be.

Christening and going in the water today!!!! I'm in the process of getting her all cleaned up now! FYI those "Boat bully" scrubber things from Bass pro are AMAZING.

I'm gonna take pictures and a video. I don't know if the new numbers will be on or not. after scrubbing all the white parts white I'm pretty worn out and the old numbers aren't coming off easily. we also decided to just motor for today since I have never sailed =/ I decided I need to go to the lake the first time I sail and today we are going to the river.

25 minutes ago, Savage2288 said:

I'm gonna take pictures and a video. I don't know if the new numbers will be on or not. after scrubbing all the white parts white I'm pretty worn out and the old numbers aren't coming off easily. we also decided to just motor for today since I have never sailed =/ I decided I need to go to the lake the first time I sail and today we are going to the river.

What material are the old numbers? If decals, a hair dryer held close makes short work of them. If paint, oven cleaner will take them off. If your hull is painted, don't use oven cleaner. (duh).

I got them off. I was using the wrong knife.

The deck and cabin are all scrubbed clean and the numbers are off but I won't be able to put the new ones on yet because I want the old sticky crap off first and I'm just by God ready to go to the river.

20280689_1518470914863307_6043075301369772848_o.jpg

Good pride of ownership, she's looking good.   Can she still swim?    

We successfully got her several miles down the river and back and christened her "Fight Song" and we learned a lot and I'm SO EXCITED!

And I made videos and took pictures

I learned that I don't at all mind going slow but I don't at all enjoy outboard motor =/ BUT this little 1945 Evinrude was a champ and did very well. but UGH it was loud and smelly.

and AND I totally hacked the red, green, and white safety lights because I don't have a battery or any wiring done yet and now I feel super clever.

That old motor is certainly more reliable then my much hated 2 year old Tohatsu.  Ethanol, rain, and misfiring.   I HATE it, though it did better after work, since I drained the fuel tank YET AGAIN.    My fuel is so full of additives Exxon is complaining.   On the other hand when it runs it just sips fuel.   Or stalls.   Keep your antique as long as you can.   

yeah, I was super thankful when the PO gave it to me to get started with. I just need to do more sailing and less motoring. our next trip s gonna be to the lake to figure out how to sail.

10 hours ago, Savage2288 said:

We successfully got her several miles down the river and back and christened her "Fight Song" and we learned a lot and I'm SO EXCITED!

That's great... first time underway is always a thrill.

It gets easier to handle the chores of rigging, launching, etc etc, as you go.

FB- Doug