monkey_feet

RS Aero 5, 7 & 9 US portsmouth rating

I'm trying to find the US portsmouth rating for the Aero in all three configurations.  Anyone know them?

As far as I know, US Sailing has never published any handicap numbers for the RS Aero.

At our club we use the RYA Portsmouth Yardsticks from the UK, if racing only RS Aero 5s 7s and 9s e.g. at a regatta.

If racing other classes in handicap or pursuit races, we convert the RYA numbers to the US scale using the same ratio as for another similar class which is on both scales - the Laser in our case. Seems to work well.

It should work good. We had similar cases where we used UK vs US ratings of laser to rate NS 14. Great starting point.

Does the choice of Aero 5/7/9 rig roughly correspond to the Laser rig size choice for sailor size and sailing conditions?

Several of us discussed this while watching the MYC regatta last weekend. In wind condition 4, we estimated the Aero 7 to be close to a Laser even though it accelerates slightly faster off the turn.  That makes sense when you feel how light an Aero is. We actually had one fly out of it's beach dolly and it took 4 of us to snatch it out of the air and pull it back down, and the sail was not cleated.

The Aero is a really nice boat and everything is laid out well. The only complaint I heard was from the Laser sailors who kneel downwind. The hull texture is very aggressive. Warm weather sailors will need a neoprene pad in the bottom or possibly sand down the texture a little. 

1 hour ago, Eddie_E said:

Several of us discussed this while watching the MYC regatta last weekend. In wind condition 4, we estimated the Aero 7 to be close to a Laser even though it accelerates slightly faster off the turn.  That makes sense when you feel how light an Aero is. We actually had one fly out of it's beach dolly and it took 4 of us to snatch it out of the air and pull it back down, and the sail was not cleated.

The Aero is a really nice boat and everything is laid out well. The only complaint I heard was from the Laser sailors who kneel downwind. The hull texture is very aggressive. Warm weather sailors will need a neoprene pad in the bottom or possibly sand down the texture a little. 

Hi Eddie - it was good to meet up with you and your wife on Saturday.

Kneeling downwind is not the best form. It's better to keep your weight mainly on your feet and your butt on the side deck, facing across the boat, so you can move your weight around to balance the boat more effectively. But it seems that many sailors new to the Aero (including myself originally) do default to that "kneeling facing forward" stance downwind at first. The non-skid surfaces on the Aero are quite aggressive although they get smoothed a bit with use, and I hear the new boats are not quite so rough. I lightly sanded the non-stick on my boat a bit to make it less abrasive on bare skin. But you will find that many Aero sailors end up wearing knee pads, or long pants that cover the knees. 

1 hour ago, torrid said:

Does the choice of Aero 5/7/9 rig roughly correspond to the Laser rig size choice for sailor size and sailing conditions?

Roughly.  There is a more detailed guide here on the RS Aero forum about what rig to choose based on weight, ability, fitness, and wind and wave conditions.

I researched Aero ratings along with John D in April for the Melbourne YC Spring Regatta (Florida). I was at first a little skeptical of the Texas numbers of 87.5 for the nine and 90.3 for the seven after we compared the RYA numbers.  We finally decided that the numbers should really be more like 88 and 90, but that we would use the Texas numbers.  My belief is that the RYA numbers reflect that there is generally more wind in the UK.  The Aero's have the chine which gives them more wetted surface, but more stability and better planing ability in the higher winds. Lasers have less wetted surface and are probably faster in light winds. That makes a direct comparison of RYA to USA  Portsmouth numbers invalid.

At the end of the day, it is really difficult to base valid conclusions on limited observation because it is hard to separate sailor skill from boat performance in a small sample. As it turned out, the Aero's came up with enough boats to sail one design so we did not get good times between them and other boats.

NINE:          87.5          Portsmouth

Seven:        90.3          Portsmouth

We use, for our well-sailed Aero 7 rig in the fleet, based on input from several quasi-official sources and one very well known Aero sailor:

89.8 for all but 0 - 4 winds, when it goes to 90.3.

This has proved to be working well for us.

Dave Ellis