jibeho

J27 predomonent sailmaker?

I have had my J27 #149 for 28 years. Bought lots of sails, but none in a while. Previous sailmakers no longer around. Anybody know of any sailmakers that know the J27? Maybe Buffalo/Toronto area or the upcoming New Orleans fleet? Perhaps a group buy?

I have Schurr sails on a J22 and J27. I have a new #1 on order right now for the J27. Great sails and good people to deal with.

Never heard of Schur. Where are they based?

19 minutes ago, jibeho said:

Never heard of Schur. Where are they based?

Pensacola, FL

www.schurr-sails.com

10 hours ago, jibeho said:

I have had my J27 #149 for 28 years. Bought lots of sails, but none in a while. Previous sailmakers no longer around. Anybody know of any sailmakers that know the J27? Maybe Buffalo/Toronto area or the upcoming New Orleans fleet? Perhaps a group buy?

Most are using North...I'm one of the few Quantum guys and get mine from Kerry Klinger out of LIS but Travis in Quantum/Rochester is also designing and making for a couple local boats.  Doyle is also an option.

16 hours ago, bloodshot said:

no idea but it couldn't hurt to talk to @musicman

Thank you, always happy to help. I've done tons of 27 sails over the years. 

I have never dealt with musicman but from his posts here he gives his clients attention.  Almost anybody can make sails for the 27, the difference is getting the cloth you want and need and what conditions you sail in.  That requires someone that knows their stuff and is willing to make sure you know it too.  my .02

Thanks everyone, I will try contacting musicman

John Fries makes very fast sails and his customer support is second to none. You won't go wrong going with Fries.

All my sails come from Doyle RI. And you can buy all the sails and a lovely J27 to go with them! Yes, I DID buy an ad!

I use Doyle.  I sail against other J/27's with North and Haarstick now quantum Inventories.  I sold all the Haarstick sails when I worked for them.  I'm confident Q in Rochester could build a adequate sail.  With that said, the Doyle's are consistently fast and I don't seem to be lacking in any conditions. When I do find myself with a boatspeed issue, it's operator error.  

The core inventory consists of a XC 6.5 Dimension Yarn Temper mainsail, Carbon-Black Aramid Stratis 155%AP and a .6 Airx S2.  

You can't go wrong with Fries sails

UK sails in Kemah TX. Pedro has built and repaired sails for the three J-27's that are in the Galveston Bat area.

6 hours ago, jesposito said:

You can't go wrong with Fries sails

Is this an olive branch being offered up here?

16 hours ago, Squalamax said:

Is this an olive branch being offered up here?

I never had a problem with Fries personally or his sails.

He and Will made it personal and decided to end a friendship and business dealings.

All I did was treat it as a business deal or like a protest. It's a matter of opinion or view on what you feel is right and you bring it to a higher authority and let them decide.

You can't argue he makes fast sails.

Kevlar Edge sailed on a winning J27 for years and made the sails. They crushed the class in KW one year

You couldn't go wrong with him either 

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 6:11 PM, jibeho said:

I've developed my inventory with North San Diego over 12 years, they know the boat inside out and the kites #1's and mains are really fast and fit the boat straiight from the factory. Having said that work with someone who will get to know your boat. I'm in SAN so that's easy. Used to love Q kites, bur now the North 1.5S .5oz is just as fast, maybe faster..

however,  the sails you currently have now, didn;t hurt this past weekend....good job jibeho

where are the Frys and  hamburger sails actually made?

What Country Trump Fans?

Who will recut them if they don't fit?   What loft?

14 hours ago, davesect said:

where are the Frys and  hamburger sails actually made?

What Country Trump Fans?

Who will recut them if they don't fit?   What loft?

His loft is in the Mystic CT area, guarantee they will fit. If not he would make it right.

There is a service called UPS or Fed X

Believe he used to work at a loft in Mystic.   Evolution and may other names before...

I'm guessing sails are made in  South Africa.  Using a service called  Fedex.

Not saying that is a bad thing, but doubt they are made in our country.  Again,  may not be a bad thing.

600 or  more  North workers in Sri Lanka (formerly Ceylon).

an island nation south of India in the Indian Ocean. 

Quantum I believe owns Durtek sails  also in Sri Lanka,  used to be  Dimension Polyants  loft.

thanks,  stopped fishing,   fish store  much cheaper!  

Luv Seawell Seafood !

Nice to see:   you and your friend(s?)   opened for the great Robert Cray.      

On 6/12/2017 at 9:16 AM, dacapo said:

however,  the sails you currently have now, didn;t hurt this past weekend....good job jibeho

Thanks, decapo. As you know well, Chelsea is a very strategic venue. Pay attention to the strong shoreline effects, react swiftly to the changes, and sails play a less important role. Lake sailing with strong current. The J27 excels

in those conditions.