• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
bhyde

Argo Anarchy

Need some of that ever so helpful Anarchy advice, especially if you're Canadian.

Just bought a vacation home up in the Sierras. The home sits at about 6500ft (2000m for normal people) right on the edge of the Tahoe National Forest. It has great access to rugged trails and remote streams/lakes in the summer and is a snowy wonderland in winter. I'd like to get an ATV/UTV that will let me explore the mountains and lakes in both summer and winter as well as haul my garbage to the community dump. My knowledge of ATV/UTV's is exactly zero, so I've been doing a little research and ran across this thing:

750_bare.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

According to many ATV enthusiasts, it's the biggest piece of shit ever made. According to people that have them, it's the ATV of The Gods. Anyone have any real world experience with them?

As far as I can tell the pros and cons are:

Pros:

• Truly an all terrain vehicle (dirt, mud, swap, snow, water).
  • It has a good load capacity.
  • Can carry up to six people.
  • It fucking floats!
  • Inexpensive, simple track system. Right on the wheels.
  • Kind of stands out in the crowd.

Cons:

• Slower than shit (25mph max), but how fast can you actually go in rough terrain?
  • Let's face it, it's ugly.
  • Rough ride.
  • Differential steering like a tank.
  • Not sure about the maintenance/reliability.
  • No cup holder.

You will not be able to drive that into any waterways in California without getting shit. I've got a big 2005 Polaris (Sportsman 700) and it gets the job done. Pulling boulders, dragging downed trees, etc. Maxes out at 65 mph, plenty of hp. Any trails you might want to ride that are open to ATV's (rare to none) are restricted to width, I think something like 54". Also, think of replacing all those tires at $50 to $90 ea. Where bouts is your place? At 6500 ft you will be shoveling some snow so looking at a blade for the front of whatever you get would be a good idea. Desert riding has more opportunities but you will be replacing tires at a good clip. Picked it up for $4200.00

232352-165a2a4b5f366b040ebd3c72b2b4e052.

You don't want either one of these things to land on top of you so consider that as well.

Google up Jim Shockey he's a hunting guide in Alaska and all over the world for that matter with a TV show and he uses these a lot. Plenty of YouTube video with these in action in Alaska. They might be a little too wide for heavily wooded areas that you're likely to encounter

My friend's family had one when I was a kid, the six or eight wheel model, not the one with tracks.

It was a slow, plodding slug. That was the bad.

The good? It could get over nearly anything except logs, it could ford streams with no effort, it could float over deep lakes and rivers with the paddle tires as propulsion, it handled mud, sand, and snow with no discernable decay in ability. And his was surprisingly quiet!

As long as you're not in a hurry to get where you want to go, and prefer transport over excitement, I think it's one of the greatest off road transports ever invented. Because it's a high torque, low speed system, it behaved a lot narrower than its width suggested. The wheels chewed through the scrub and the facets on the hull didn't hang up on much.

Not sure about CA but out here in CO 50" width is a standard for trails. That's on national forest trails so I imagine it's the same. Any ATV can go on those trails, RAZR's and other side by sides can't.

Looks like a very limited use vehicle for CA. Sure if your hunting in AK that's an OK tool. Not so much in the lower 48

Guitar, Chesapeake, Mrleft8

The property is in Pla Vada/Serene Lakes near Donnor Lake (yes, Dabs Central). My first choice was a 50" side-by-side. Several models out there at pretty reasonable prices, but this thing is beyond funky. I'm looking more for utility than sport. I need to be able to carry at least one other person and haul a couple hundred pound of stuff. Speed is no factor since within the community everything is limited to 15mph.

This is my new backyard: https://www.google.com/maps/search/maps/@39.3463453,-120.448744,6269m/data=!3m1!1e3

1 hour ago, DarthSailor said:

you could also contact Fleegle, Bingo, Drooper and Snork as they used a version of this as a daily driver a while back. 

OK, Now I can die a happy man....  A freeking Banana Splits reference on SA....  now I gotta go change my ring tone to the theme song.....  

+1000000

HAHAHAHA

1 hour ago, DarthSailor said:

you could also contact Fleegle, Bingo, Drooper and Snork as they used a version of this as a daily driver a while back. 

ok , now I have that theme song stuck in my head. 

I've been around an Argo for almost ten seasons in the Alaska Range near Tok. We also have a fish wheel on the Copper River near Slana, and often hunt deep into the Wrangell Mountains. Our terrain is a mix of tundra, truly wet squishy bog areas, dry and rocky, often steep, and for a few months: frozen the fuck over.  

The Argo is a funky rig and has amazing capabilities when in top shape and well-maintained. We mostly use it to haul in the camp setup weeks ahead of hunting time, and to transport the fish wheel up the banks before winter so that the Spring breakup flows don't take it all downriver. Every Spring the channels are new, so the wheel is set in a new spot each year. Some of Dad's old friends are simply big, fat Old Guys and the Argo helps a bunch when hauling out fish or game that the guys simply can't carry anymore. 

Now: Argos are expensive, demand consistent maintenance, and are not without limitations. They don't handle being overloaded very well, or the drives get strained and when something breaks on a Argo you're pretty much up to your armpits inside that tub trying to access the broken shit. They are an ENORMOUS pain in the ass to work on. The engines are stone-reliable but much noisier than most ATVs, and are fairly fuel-thirsty. 

When one thing breaks, the entire thing breaks. It either works well-ish or it doesn't work at all. 

From this distance, I can't see the Argo being an ideal machine for your uses and region of use. A sideXside is a much better tool for you. Again, if your waterways are off limits then most of the unique capability is wasted and you're living with all its compromises. When this one breaks again, it's going to get shot and buried. 

well there you go. first hand experience.

29 minutes ago, bhyde said:

The property is in Pla Vada/Serene Lakes near Donnor Lake (yes, Dabs Central). My first choice was a 50" side-by-side. Several models out there at pretty reasonable prices, but this thing is beyond funky. I'm looking more for utility than sport. I need to be able to carry at least one other person and haul a couple hundred pound of stuff. Speed is no factor since within the community everything is limited to 15mph.

This is my new backyard: https://www.google.com/maps/search/maps/@39.3463453,-120.448744,6269m/data=!3m1!1e3

Check out the Polaris Ranger

20 minutes ago, shaggy said:

OK, Now I can die a happy man....  A freeking Banana Splits reference on SA....  now I gotta go change my ring tone to the theme song.....  

+1000000

HAHAHAHA

Fuck, I'm laughing my ass off...

banana-splits.jpg

14 minutes ago, tekton said:

I've been around an Argo for almost ten seasons in the Alaska Range near Tok. We also have a fish wheel on the Copper River near Slana, and often hunt deep into the Wrangell Mountains. Our terrain is a mix of tundra, truly wet squishy bog areas, dry and rocky, often steep, and for a few months: frozen the fuck over.  

The Argo is a funky rig and has amazing capabilities when in top shape and well-maintained. We mostly use it to haul in the camp setup weeks ahead of hunting time, and to transport the fish wheel up the banks before winter so that the Spring breakup flows don't take it all downriver. Every Spring the channels are new, so the wheel is set in a new spot each year. Some of Dad's old friends are simply big, fat Old Guys and the Argo helps a bunch when hauling out fish or game that the guys simply can't carry anymore. 

Now: Argos are expensive, demand consistent maintenance, and are not without limitations. They don't handle being overloaded very well, or the drives get strained and when something breaks on a Argo you're pretty much up to your armpits inside that tub trying to access the broken shit. They are an ENORMOUS pain in the ass to work on. The engines are stone-reliable but much noisier than most ATVs, and are fairly fuel-thirsty. 

When one thing breaks, the entire thing breaks. It either works well-ish or it doesn't work at all. 

From this distance, I can't see the Argo being an ideal machine for your uses and region of use. A sideXside is a much better tool for you. Again, if your waterways are off limits then most of the unique capability is wasted and you're living with all its compromises. When this one breaks again, it's going to get shot and buried. 

Good info, thanks. Cool machine, but I'm starting the lean towards a traditional side-by-side. On the other hand, I could always buy a side-by-side for the more mundane activities AND an Argo to freak out the neighbors. I'm looking for a Banana Splits costume right now.

I'm biased but I've had my Honda for 14 years now. Oil, filter and hydro for the trans. Some tires and new batteries. That's it.

Almost 30K on it. I should think about getting the seat re-covered. It's pretty used up but mechanically the machine has been bombproof. Oil changes are a bit of a pita because the skid plate is a very tight fit against the oil filter (on purpose so the filter can't shake loose).

It doesn't do anything special. It just does what it was built to do.

8732990445_b50cd9b061_b.jpg

A 50" side X side will likely be hard to come by. My Yamaha Rhino 450 is 54" and that's pretty narrow and too heavy. I love it for what we use it for hauling things and pushing a 60" blade to scrape a gravel drive and it will push 12" of medium weight snow with hubs locked and terrain (paddle) tires. It fits in my 5x10 utility trailer for transport  

I would not use it for spirited trail riding due to rollover risk. 

A friend has a Ranger and it's bigger, wider and beefier. Good machine but a lot bigger than the Yamaha. 

1 hour ago, austin1972 said:

I'm biased but I've had my Honda for 14 years now. Oil, filter and hydro for the trans. Some tires and new batteries. That's it.

Almost 30K on it. I should think about getting the seat re-covered. It's pretty used up but mechanically the machine has been bombproof. Oil changes are a bit of a pita because the skid plate is a very tight fit against the oil filter (on purpose so the filter can't shake loose).

It doesn't do anything special. It just does what it was built to do.

8732990445_b50cd9b061_b.jpg

and it has a drink holder !

Welcome to the Sierras. Nice area you're in.

We're a few miles to the southwest.

Just don't start sayin "we're from Taaaa Hoe" like a lot of the locals. You will need the typical green sticker to ride on any USFS or BLM land and no offroading on trails unless specifically marked and they are few and far between. Side by sides are the rage and so are the medical calls for them when they roll over. 

Anything that splashes in water around Tahoe will require an inspection for invasive shit. 

My neighbor has a Razor (Or something like that) which he loves. It's like half dunebuggy, half ATV, and he says it'll go anywhere. Side by side, with a small cargo area in back.

Personally, I'd get an old M38a1, put good M/S radials (narrow tread) on it and just go. My '53 M38a1 wouldn't go over 55mph downhill with a tailwind, but it'd just about climb a tree in 4 wheel low.

1 hour ago, Guitar said:

Welcome to the Sierras. Nice area you're in.

We're a few miles to the southwest.

Just don't start sayin "we're from Taaaa Hoe" like a lot of the locals. You will need the typical green sticker to ride on any USFS or BLM land and no offroading on trails unless specifically marked and they are few and far between. Side by sides are the rage and so are the medical calls for them when they roll over. 

Anything that splashes in water around Tahoe will require an inspection for invasive shit. 

Yeah, the Tahoe crowd can be a little, let's just say "interesting" and leave it at that. Thanks for the info on the BLM/USFS. I have pretty much zero offroad experience. Most of my new neighbors have ATV's. While I was standing in front of the house, a dad and son in a side-by-side came out of the hills and drove by (helmets/rollcage/gloves). Looked pretty fun. 

As I recall, you're in/near GV?

10 hours ago, Guitar said:

You will not be able to drive that into any waterways in California without getting shit. I've got a big 2005 Polaris (Sportsman 700) and it gets the job done. Pulling boulders, dragging downed trees, etc. Maxes out at 65 mph, plenty of hp. Any trails you might want to ride that are open to ATV's (rare to none) are restricted to width, I think something like 54". Also, think of replacing all those tires at $50 to $90 ea. Where bouts is your place? At 6500 ft you will be shoveling some snow so looking at a blade for the front of whatever you get would be a good idea. Desert riding has more opportunities but you will be replacing tires at a good clip. Picked it up for $4200.00

232352-165a2a4b5f366b040ebd3c72b2b4e052.

You don't want either one of these things to land on top of you so consider that as well.

Quad bikes are the leading cause of farm deaths in Australia. Just sayin'.

16 minutes ago, austin1972 said:

If you're not an idiot, they're perfectly safe. 

Shit. That could be a problem.

5 hours ago, austin1972 said:

If you're not an idiot, they're perfectly safe. Like I said, almost 30K on mine. All on a farm and I don't wear a helmet....Well, I have done some offroad parks but not many. Mostly this place. https://www.thecliffsinsaneterrain.com/

Here's one of my hillbilly fence ramps.

2726721688_79a1bfa491_b.jpg

Looks like you got some serious air there, that thing is flying. :)

13 hours ago, Point Break said:

Ask Mahmoud. Some here might remember.

The rightful heir to the Ottoman Empire? And tractor driver? Or Arminadinnerjacket? (Ex iran pres)

8 hours ago, bhyde said:

Yeah, the Tahoe crowd can be a little, let's just say "interesting" and leave it at that. Thanks for the info on the BLM/USFS. I have pretty much zero offroad experience. Most of my new neighbors have ATV's. While I was standing in front of the house, a dad and son in a side-by-side came out of the hills and drove by (helmets/rollcage/gloves). Looked pretty fun. 

As I recall, you're in/near GV?

Garden not Grass Valley. 

18 hours ago, bhyde said:

You don't need an ATV - you need a powered para-glider.... .

References wise, this is one of the best threads going!

:lol:

8 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

You don't need an ATV - you need a powered para-glider.... .

Ha! Can you imagine how fast you would have to run at a density altitude of 10,000'!

"Let's do this."

7 hours ago, Betel Buai said:

The rightful heir to the Ottoman Empire?  Yes

And tractor driver?   Yes

Or Arminadinnerjacket? (Ex iran pres)  No

20 hours ago, tekton said:

,,, When this one breaks again, it's going to get shot and buried. 

:o

If in AK,   :(  damn shame to see even a funky old rig have to be put down.

If in WA,  :angry:  I'm gonna go all activist on ya , protest,  signs, the whole nine yards,,

;)   , or offer yaz the price of a centerfire round, ta let me "rescue th' poor Endangered Argo frum extinction",,

21 hours ago, bhyde said:

oooh, I hear they have some "interesting" restaurants up there..

52 minutes ago, dreaded said:

oooh, I hear they have some "interesting" restaurants up there..

Having a few friends for dinner really does have a different meaning here.

6 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Ewwwwwww..... 

"Mrs. Murphy said here yesterday that she thought she would commence on Milton and eat him. I do not think she has done so yet; it is distressing."  - Breen Diary

You know, if Donner and Reed had an Argo or a motorized paraglider, none of this shit would have happened.

51 minutes ago, bhyde said:

"Mrs. Murphy said here yesterday that she thought she would commence on Milton and eat him. I do not think she has done so yet; it is distressing."  - Breen Diary

You know, if Donner and Reed had an Argo or a motorized paraglider, none of this shit would have happened.

Fugger..   I just spewed coffee all over the place.  I was hoping to get another couple days outta this shirt, too. 

16 hours ago, Betel Buai said:

Quad bikes are the leading cause of farm deaths in Australia. Just sayin'.

My brother already rolled his and broke his collarbone. Took on a hill too steep and attempted to back down and over he went.

I've been chucked off over the handlebars on mine when descending into a creek bottom, still don't know how I landed on my feet. Didn't roll but came to a sudden stop with the ass end giving me a boost off.

Just helped the neighbor put his Polaris Razor Ranger up on the flatbed of his 1 1/2 ton Dodge.... It climbed the ramps like nothing.

He's on his way to NoDak tonight..... Not sure why he's taking that, seeing as he's bringing back a 34' pontoon boat, but......

In any case, he loves it. It has trail passes for Oregon, Florida, and California on it. I measured the outside tire track at 52" (setting up the ramps to the truck, I just happened to remember this was a consideration.) It clearly has piles of power, and the speedometer goes to 70mph......

Just passing on info.

I hope he strapped it down. I can't tell you how many people I know who have had to buy a new back window from hitting the brakes or a bump in the road.

How does a 52" vehicle fit in a 51" wide bed at the wheel wells? Let a little air out of the tires? Or, is it a cab and chassis with a flatbed?

1 hour ago, Mrleft8 said:

Just helped the neighbor put his Polaris Razor Ranger up on the flatbed of his 1 1/2 ton Dodge.... It climbed the ramps like nothing.

He's on his way to NoDak tonight..... Not sure why he's taking that, seeing as he's bringing back a 34' pontoon boat, but......

In any case, he loves it. It has trail passes for Oregon, Florida, and California on it. I measured the outside tire track at 52" (setting up the ramps to the truck, I just happened to remember this was a consideration.) It clearly has piles of power, and the speedometer goes to 70mph......

Just passing on info.

Plus, it comes in orange, which has a speedo that goes to 80mph. 'Cuz orange is flipping fast. If you carry a knife while driving it, you can get an extra 5mph out of it.

PolarisRZR-115.jpg

1 hour ago, austin1972 said:

I hope he strapped it down. I can't tell you how many people I know who have had to buy a new back window from hitting the brakes or a bump in the road.

How does a 52" vehicle fit in a 51" wide bed at the wheel wells? Let a little air out of the tires? Or, is it a cab and chassis with a flatbed?

Pretty sure the RZR will fit a standard bed truck.

2167d1407455820-loaded-up-polaris-rzr-57

or you can just go full retard.

UTV-TruckRack-1.jpg

On 6/8/2017 at 1:26 PM, DarthSailor said:

I thought I was the only one that could name all 4 Banana Splits.

2 hours ago, austin1972 said:

Crew cab flat bed, w/ diamond plate. The guy used to build orange juice plants, and his son builds elevators..... The extruded aluminum ramps are a work of art.

When he ran the razor up the ramps, he may have goosed it a little too much, and when it hit the bull bars (keeping him from going through the rear window) the razor jumped about 12" sideways.... With only about 16" of clear space behind the rear wheels, he was determined to move the ramps over, back it down, and then re ramp up..... I suggested we use a come along to ootch the razor sideways. "Can't be done! It'll just compress the suspension!" I said let's just try.....

5 minutes later he was muttering under his breath "Fuckin' yankees come down here..... I've been rigging, and building steel shit for 50 years, and a fuckin' yankee comes down and.... Fuckin' A I hope nobody hears about this....."

I said that's why we won the war... And left quickly.:D

1 hour ago, bhyde said:

Pretty sure the RZR will fit a standard bed truck.

2167d1407455820-loaded-up-polaris-rzr-57

Looks like he just drove over the wheel wells. I suppose that works.

I'm more curious about the black things on the gate. Are those like EZ Lift things? You can see the cable is even slack. I wonder how hard they are to remove when you want to ditch the gate for stuff like shoveling out CA6 or mulch. Though, based on that pic, the truck isn't seeing a lot of dirty work.

I'm guessing those are stronger replacements for the stock cables & ball connectors, in case you're worried that the cables aren't strong enough to bear a RZR. 

Jesus, I just looked up the curb weight on the RZR 1000 (~1400 lbs) and saw that they're asking $20K for the top trim model. Seems a bit steep. 

2 hours ago, austin1972 said:

Looks like he just drove over the wheel wells. I suppose that works.

I'm more curious about the black things on the gate. Are those like EZ Lift things? You can see the cable is even slack. I wonder how hard they are to remove when you want to ditch the gate for stuff like shoveling out CA6 or mulch. Though, based on that pic, the truck isn't seeing a lot of dirty work.

Tailgate Support Bars for Trucks

Tailgate Support bars, same company makes the ramps too.

2 minutes ago, Chum said:

My little Kawi Bayou gets it done. Light enough to drag out of trouble too, major bonus.

I was just typing a similar thought but you beat me to it.

Why screw around........

1977-mercedes-benz-unimog-arnold-schwarzenegger-right-front-angle.jpg

11 hours ago, Chum said:

Grammar Police raid!

It's Sierra, not Sierras. There's only one Sierra Nevada mountain range.

sorry....

Guilty as charges. Sierra is plural already. In my weak defense I would point out that it's a very common mistake and I have a California public education.

ClovisSierras1.jpg

11 hours ago, Chum said:

image.jpg1_zpsjn8yq1mh.jpg

I think you may not fully appreciate the situation here.

005.jpg

12 hours ago, dorado said:

Is that your shack  ?

No. We went in a very different direction than the ubiquitous Chalet Condo.

20 minutes ago, Chum said:

Everyone says it. 

Makes me wonder if I should be saying 'Clovi' instead of 'Clovis.' 

7 hours ago, bhyde said:

Makes me wonder if I should be saying 'Clovi' instead of 'Clovis.' 

No points, people.