• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SASSAFRASS

We seem to actually be cruising??

76 posts in this topic

So we are almost a month off the dock and it is starting to settle in that we are actually cruising!!  After 12 years of refitting our boat this is pretty cool to say the least.  Enjoying a cozy day with both stoves going in the rain on the hook in Silva Bay.  Our NA for the boat Tad stopped by for a nice visit yesterday evening.  We are using a cell data day to feed our trackerjunkie fix for the r2ak today, our good friend and former neighbor Karl is giving it another go on his new SUP made the run in 7hrs plus not bad.

Boat is happy as stated in the overly long rudder thread the new bits have made a huge difference.  I have to say the Jefa AP motor in conjunction with the geared steering seems to be very efficient. Have just started tracking data, a must for a former marine engineer, and will update as we go.  So far very happy with our lack of fuel consumption,  we have some solar panels to instal and a few more to buy,  they should be a nice float cycle in conjunction with a quick bulk charge from the engine. Installed our water maker in Ganges and I have to give some major kudos to Spectra.  Excellent manual and just a very thouroughly put together package.  They need to work on the Z ion control box as it is wonky and not the best configuration for mounting but other than that I love it.  Few things you can put in turn on and not have any issues.

Off to hunt for petroglyphs tommoro or maybe read a book...

good on ya Sass for getting underway - keep us posted.

btw - your picasa link 'The Boat' in your sig gets a 404.

ML

Congratulations. :)

Long range plans?

Need to get rid of the Picasa link....

Some ominous sightings, watched a big searayish thing run hard aground by moneymaker reef a few days ago wife saw it and it was almost slow motion bang and wave over the stern, then a boat ran right on the rock in commodore channel they actually got out and pushed it off....

Pulled into Nanaimo harbor today at the gun for the Van isle 360, unplanned but pretty cool, hung out by the log boom and watched them all go by, got a couple good pics of them squeezing by the harbor bouy.

Enjoy, stay safe, and and keep a weather eye for Rimas...........

Where'd I put that envy font.......?

So have to say BC is pretty awesome.  All the nay saying bs about crowds etc seems to have missed us or we really hit the shoulder season right.  Awesome trip up Jervis, harmony is were great. Sore necks and 5,000 waterfall pics.  Had Louisa to ourselves and one other boat for a day.  Cortez island rocks.  Spent a week n Squirrel cove. Went into Gorge Harbor, not too stoked on the anchorage but after a dingy trip with the handheld sounder the nw courner seemed all right.  Had our first dock treat in about a month I a half.  This is one of the nicest resorts we have been to. Tie up and go have a fire on the beach just a great spot.  Schools out and it's getting a little busy but not too bad.  Hanging in Tenedos had a great swim at the lake.

Very cool.

Well done and good luck. I too am envious.

Bbbbbby PNW!!!

we all passed our ham tests today in Friday Harbor, did the nightmare storage unit unload which now needs to disappear below.  Leaving from Deer Harbor Monday am heading south.  Got pre approved to anchor in SF at the aquatic park center.

Yahoo

Thanks All,

Hoping for a happy run south, boat is full of crap to stow busy busy, will probably catch the AM ebb tommorro night going out. 

Super hard to say goodbyes, especially to the ones that might be real.  Love the San Juans and all the amazing friends we have been lucky enough to make.

Coos Bay and Charlestown are pretty cool. On our way out after a night at the dock and a fuel stop. $.50 a ft. and $2.40 diesel, that's a bargain stop.  Bar was as advertised and a easy transit although it looked like a can had moved inside.  Lots of fog so far but it is Fogust... have seen lots of life Sun fish, whales, sharks porpoise etc.  Lots of motoring but a nice slide into all things ocean for all on  board.

Met a nice couple from BC on the dock heading for MX  about the same age we were last time we went south.

next stop San Francisco 

yahoo....

More envy.

Sail/motor safe.

In the Aquatic park looking at Ghiradelli square!! Secound half of our trip proved to be more adventurous than we would have hoped.  Cape Mendocino still has dragons lurking.  The boat showed us a whole lot, we tested the scuppers, hatches, cockpit drains and port lights.  Multiple times.  I am a firm believer in our big rudder project now more than ever.  I think it would have been pretty ugly a few times with the old setup.  Not big on throwing numbers out other than the distinct possiblity of number two in my pants on several occasions.  Was the biggest weather  I have been in.

Boat did great, family did great we all learned a lot about what does and doesn't work.  Have a few things to deal with we already knew about and a few surprises.  Was happy with the interior layout safe and worked as planned.  Deck was good too.  So now we can be tourists and have some fun.  Will start harbor hopping down the coast to San Diego in a few days.

Congrats, Sassy!  Enjoy the bay.  Heck, enjoy GGAC, I love paddling around the old ships. They have kids stay on the Balaclutha, you might hear them in the mornings.

A good daysail around the bay is to make a counter-clockwise loop; from GGAC, head down the city front, cross under the Bay bridge, round Treasure Island, north around Angel Island (time your passage through Raccoon strait with the tide).  Maybe stop in Tiburon for lunch at Sams (free dock).  Take a detour up Richardson bay towards Sausalito, then back across the gate, downwind to where you started.  The CCW direction is so that you aren't slogging upwind though the slot late in the day.

For the rest of you, here's a peek at the GGAC:

IMG_2009

Off we go headed for Half Moon Bay.  Had a great time at the Aquatic center other than last night we were the only transient boat for our whole stay.  Lots of fun being tourists and looking at the old boats. They had steam up on the Jeremiah when my daughter and I toured it, pretty cool, finally got to see a actual double acting steam pump in use, lots of CG test questions on that.

The parks people and the dolfin club people were super nice we got a tour of the Thayer amazing job they have done and are doing, especially having spent so much time around the Wawona in LU. Liked the Tug Hercules too way cool. Kid loved the wax museum of course.

Great holding and the swimmers were nice lots stopped by to say hi and used us as the bouy.  Ton of current in there.  If we stay more than a night or two I usually rig two snubbers to the bow hawse holes with lots of length so I don't have bobstay banging.  The current against wind was so strong it kept unhooking the snubber, never seen that before, went back to a single over the bow roller.

Great visit, highly recommended for a short stop.  I finally got tired of dragging the dingy and dug the wheels out of the laz a must if you are in and out a lot, easy to lock right to a light pole or the dolphin club piling.

Have lots of pics, just fed up with the third party BS at the moment. Photobucket was horrible to use but I was ok with it, then after posting the rudder rebuild project pics they shut me down on excess 3rd party usage so I said enough for a bit.  Will sort it out here soon.

In Pillar Point, like this place but I am a 20 year commercial fisherman so.....

Heading south, really enjoyed Halfmoon Bay.  Nice people, neighbor gave us fresh fish and Asian pears, bought a beautiful king salmon off a local troller.  Nice visit, sort of surreal watching sups play around in the little waves off the point at Mavericks. Saw some family, was a nice spot for a visit. Moorage was cheep and the marina is clean with nice facilities.

Off to Santa Cruz for a night then Monteray for a couple nights to see the aquarium.

On 8/19/2017 at 3:07 PM, SASSAFRASS said:

Have lots of pics, just fed up with the third party BS at the moment. Photobucket was horrible to use but I was ok with it, then after posting the rudder rebuild project pics they shut me down on excess 3rd party usage so I said enough for a bit.  Will sort it out here soon.

Just use the SA forum upload features; "Drag files here to attach, or choose files... Max total size 1MB Choose Files"

1MB limit per post is a drag but otherwise works fine.

DropBox stopped support for their /Public folder so the images I posted to your rudder thread disappeared. :(  I still have them, of course, but loss of that feature was a blow.

Did you eat at Ketch Joanne's in Pillar Pt. Harbor?  Great breakfast.

On 8/19/2017 at 4:07 PM, SASSAFRASS said:

In Pillar Point, like this place but I am a 20 year commercial fisherman so.....

If it's not too much, smugmug.com offers a good basic hosting plan with no limits for $49 a year. No crap, no advertising, no restrictions, lots of professional photogs use it.

When our girls were heavy into the highschool volleyball scene, it's how we shared photos and videos with other parents. No hassle, resolution restrictions, etc. Sent off some long videos of a recent sailing/diving trip in the Grenadines, everyone got to see them. 

No connection, just thought the service was worth the cost.

9 hours ago, rattus32 said:

If it's not too much, smugmug.com offers a good basic hosting plan with no limits for $49 a year. No crap, no advertising, no restrictions, lots of professional photogs use it.

When our girls were heavy into the highschool volleyball scene, it's how we shared photos and videos with other parents. No hassle, resolution restrictions, etc. Sent off some long videos of a recent sailing/diving trip in the Grenadines, everyone got to see them. 

No connection, just thought the service was worth the cost.

SmugMug +1

Thanks will check out smug mug sounds pretty reasonable.

So we are officially around the courner!!! Hanging in Santa Barbera for a few days than off to Catalina where my wife started sailing and our boat called home for most of its life.

We started and finished our West coast trip in a haze, no pun intended. Pea soup fog around Flattery and Conception.  We certainly appreciate how dumb lucky we were last time we came south.

Monterey was great am re-reading Dana again so a cool stop.  Going do a home school project with the Kid following Steinbeck and Rickart into the sea of Cortez.  Excited!

Well done! Dana is on a three year rotation for me. It never gets old. Same thing with "The Terror", though not much in common other than being centered around a voyage.

3 hours ago, SASSAFRASS said:

So we are officially around the courner!!! Hanging in Santa Barbera for a few days than off to Catalina where my wife started sailing and our boat called home for most of its life....

Is Santa Barbera where the Flintstones and the Jetsons lived? ;-)

I can't keep up with the weird shit apple spell check puts out so I guess Flintstone would be a suitable pun.

Some thoughts on things that have worked...

This was the first passage we have made with anything resembling integrated electronics. I have to say it's pretty nice.  There was no AIS last time we left at least non commercial under $6000. We have a new Garmin radar but still have the small 740 plotter. One of my complaints was loosing AIS with radar overlay.  After one watch my wife solved it with the radar plotter split screen which is what we used for most of the trip.

None are perfect, but together they give a fair bit of security.  I still plot on paper if I can't see the bow though in fog, just in case.

One thing I like about AIS was that although you could not count on any vessel big or small to have it.  More often than not in a fleet setting there are usually some.  So when we hit a mob of radar targets in the fog, knowing that one is a 100' fishing vessel at anchor. So odds are the rest are the same.

We have had some electronic bugs but I'll wait till it's sorted to post on it, 99% there but still want more hours.  The Jeffa helm has been great.  Our cheepo sport fishing seat is awsome, I can't image not having it.  Super comfortable.  If anything the Jefa pilot motor is too strong.  It doesn't care how messed up your trimmed it just keeps on steering.

Since we motorsailed the majority of the big legs have to give some love to the Beta too.  This was a huge expense in the refit of the boat.  It had a factory re-man Perkins 75hp.  The rear seal leaked but it would not have cost a lot to get kosher.  We have just shy of a 1000hrs on the Beta and I am pretty impressed.  Even without having all the sound proofing done it's a quiet motor and not a nightmare to have on.  The fuel consumption is about 30% under there generic power curve.  We only run about 60% to 70% load.  But have the rest when needed.  We can also throw 200amps of alternator load on the front end without any worries.  The jury is still out on the serpentine belts, in not a fan of how tight they have to run but as long as the bearing life of the alternators and freshwater pump hold up should be fine, will see.

I bought a kiss counterpoise before we left too. So far no big difference but it's there as a backup.  I have a basic dynoplate and copper strap.  I switched them back and forth for some signal reports but nothing crazy.  I think it may earn its money on Sailmail and some of the specifics he has tuned radials in it for.

Some of the need to get dones....

hand holds on deck, kind of a no brainer but will make it a bit safer. We are always clipped in as a rule and I have never embraced lifelines in any capacity other than psychological security and sail catchers.

Need some smoke stack covers. They are pretty grabby at sea.

have to finish mounting the solar panels.  Another no brainer

galley cook top needs some fab work.

Some various lockers etc and other minor things will add to creature comforts..  the UV will now be high on the list so canvas work finishing sail covers a African queen etc.

and let's not forget our most favorite Brighwork!!

I recently did a 3000 nm trip using Sail Mail constantly. SSB had a minimal ground plane, just a sintered block about 5' away from tuner. We hooked up a KISS & tried different positions, layouts, & together with original gp. Did not detect any noticeable difference. I've only ever seen improvements after adding copper tape to gp.

Neat to hear. Must have followed your rebuild for a great number of years.

We're in Fiji ,all eastern side and away fom the resorts etc to date.. heading that way soon I suppose.  But back to nz and work in a month or so. AIS has been a great addition for us. We bought the vesper vision with its own screen etc and get the app repeater slash slave onto phone or ipad plus overlay onto the old c80 plotter. Can't recommend it too highly... all sorts of uses I hadn't thought of... like pinging waypoints on boats you know are in front doing a reef pass.  The anchor watch is a great tool.

Have a great cruise.

Longy, I have only tried one or the other counterpoise not both together. I figured if there was a issue with the bronze plate it would be nice to have a non- haulout fix.  I talked to Hawaii from the SF water front with the kiss, and worked Indiana with the plate in HM bay so both seem to work.

JBE,

the WBF thread died with Picasa still bummed about it going away. Fiji is in the works someday, we are still pinching ourselves to be waking up to sunshine and heat each mourning!!  I definitely jumped the gun on the AIS getting the Garmin unit, our friends have the vesper and I think it is a much better product offering a lot more features.  Unfortunately pleasure craft are sometimes the biggest PITA on passing situations, but having all the info via AIS seems to get them to pick up.  By the time you get past vessel name, radio call sign and are broadcasting their mmsi number with the hail they seem to answer.

Will be interesting to see how much it gets used in Mexico. 

14 hours ago, JBE said:

AIS has been a great addition for us. We bought the vesper vision with its own screen etc and get the app repeater slash slave onto phone or ipad plus overlay onto the old c80 plotter. Can't recommend it too highly... all sorts of uses I hadn't thought of... like pinging waypoints on boats you know are in front doing a reef pass.  The anchor watch is a great tool.

https://www2.vespermarine.com/watchmate-vision.html/  $1249 USD

P.S.  These two versions of the same product look interesting too, using your own tablets or phones:

https://www2.vespermarine.com/transponders/xb8000-ais-transponder.html  ($799 USD)
https://www2.vespermarine.com/transponders/xb6000-ais-transponder.html ($595 USD)

vesper_marine_xb-6000_web_1.png.06c181f855bc7cf1bd181acafbe5dbdc.png

My Friend with the vesper gives it big thumbs up, it's data rate is a bit faster than the Garmin and he said it works well with navionocs and IPad, there was a bug but the latest firmware fixed it. I bought one of the nmea 2k wifi units from the Russian co Yacht something or other.  Will see how it works, one of the nice things with the vesper being it has all that built in.

A question for So Cal cruisers, to tow the dingy or not?

We plan on hitting the islands back and forth for the next month, would be nice to tow our tender, a 10' Aquapro aluminum RIB, rather than back and forth on the deck.  The tender is not really all that bad but I don't have a great setup for the outboard yet so there is some hernia excersises involved.  We always towed it in the San Juans, not sure about down here, past conception looks like a maybe?

I've got the Vesper 8000 and like it a lot. My only complaint is that if you accidentally set an anchor alarm and then turn off your phone or otherwise lose access to it, you can't easily kill the anchor alarm. You can silence it with an external switch but it'll alarm again as soon as you leave the specified radius. Lots of fun when you set it before bed, weigh anchor early the next morning after forgetting to cancel the alarm, and head out of the harbor with your family fast asleep and your cell phone tucked away safely belowdecks. Once the alarm blares it's a goddamned fire drill to find the phone, open the app, and "weigh anchor" in the app as your spouse is rudely awoken thinking the boat's going down.

5 hours ago, SASSAFRASS said:

My Friend with the vesper gives it big thumbs up, it's data rate is a bit faster than the Garmin and he said it works well with navionocs and IPad, there was a bug but the latest firmware fixed it. I bought one of the nmea 2k wifi units from the Russian co Yacht something or other.  Will see how it works, one of the nice things with the vesper being it has all that built in.

A question for So Cal cruisers, to tow the dingy or not?

We plan on hitting the islands back and forth for the next month, would be nice to tow our tender, a 10' Aquapro aluminum RIB, rather than back and forth on the deck.  The tender is not really all that bad but I don't have a great setup for the outboard yet so there is some hernia excersises involved.  We always towed it in the San Juans, not sure about down here, past conception looks like a maybe?

You'd probably be fine as long as you don't go further west than mid  Santa Cruz. 

That's about as far as we will go I imagine, the guide book we have had big wx caution about messing around in the outer islands.

Any thoughts on anchoring at the Isthmus?  It's hard to tell how much of its eaten up by moorings on the chart.  Would like to be there a week or more weather permitting, on the hook.

Take a mooring!  Anchoring is in deep water on the inside and not so great holding in Cat Harbor--but doable in both cases.  You'll enjoy your stay a whole bunch more on a mooring.... jus sayin'

Just asked our buddy who was harbor master at isthmus for many moon.  He was like what the fuck get a mooring camp so there you go.....

Santa Barbara is pretty awsome for anyone heading south, easy stop buck a ft to 14 days the. It doubles.  All in all a great place to chill out for a bit

Been doing a little easy wx relaxing and reflecting,  we have some friends following our exploits and one of the ones I respect the most told me recently that fear is a cleansing thing, that is very true.  I think about my life in boats most of it in the Bering Sea.  The evolution of real raw fear as you make it through a event with weather and nature and crew good and bad is forever.  Being put in the unfortunate position of being in charge and having things go south on you without a safety net then coming through the other side is a cleansing and epifanous moment.  When we were getting the shit kicked out of us north of San Fran and I was stuck steering I had that thing in my gut, I've been here before and it's going to suck but we will get through it.  These are not things you think about sitting in a amazing anchorage in the PNW watching another amazing sunset, or in So Cal watching yet another amazing sunset.  Fear is a good thing, having spent my whole adult life at sea I tend towards the superstitious,  never forget where you are, you aren't in charge, just a visitor....

Nailed it Sass.

(At storm force the thought of those sunsets and anchorages starts feeling pretty good though! :))

For anybody pulling into Santa Barbara.  It's a easy walk up Castillo from the marina.  There is a chevron that will fill propane on one courner, a liquor store across from it, and a awsome local grocery store Santa Cruz market on the other side!!  Easy provisioning for those without wheels.

Holy shitcakes Lydia just said "hi" to SB.  On our way to the market and a 30 min micro burst from he'll came through shit all over dindys kayaks etc, lots of blown up roller jibs one snapped mast on a littlest guy.  Our flag pole snapped off.  It is in a bronze socket and because I'm me was seaized with spectra seine twine above, that's a serious gust. Squished Prius in the parking lot lots of downed trees, no power as of yet.  Didn't see too many EMS, had happy topless girl out for a swim they pulled up on our dock she was breathing so hope she is ok. Regular shit show for a bit.

Seems like all is well, unconfirmed report of a broken hip on the pier but that's it so far.  Sky looks like she has a wee bit more to give just hanging out waiting.

So out of my whiny sickbed today.  Wife got a bug in Santa Barbara and was out for a day, I picked it up soon after.  We had a great sail over to Santa Cruz, Prisoners Harbor.  Lots of back patting till our arms were sore on turning a courner on shitty wx. Towed the dingy over and all.  About lights out time the swell hooked in and it was a rolling shitshow, too rough to get the dingy stowed safely.  Don't have things setup very well for it.  Wind was counter to swell so our stern was slamming and a no go for me.  We hauled up the hook and headed for the se side.  A nice guy in the anchorage hailed us and offered recommendations on where to go.  Then we got out into the real swell and l spent the next several hours praying to the dingy gods it would make it around the courner.  A few it's gone for sure moments but, luck prevailed and we made it. Got up by the CG bouy in smugglers cove and got the hook out for sleep.  Had a early am dept for the isthmus.  Not a bad run down till the end when things got a bit steep.  We have learned that "mixed swell" in NOAA for around here means stay put unless you really need to get there.  Just a shitty ride any way you slice it.  Got a mooring at Cherry cove for a week.  Pretty nice here.

Full circle for us and the boat.  My wife grew up coming here with her family, they used to have a mooring.  Our boat used to be home ported out of Emerald bay and owned by a harbor patrol person here in the early 80's.

Keep it coming. Very nice reportage. I know and understand dinghy anxiety - how we curse our idleness for towing not stowing!

Some sort of race from the land of smog coming in. Looks like a decent amount of boats and a really nice day to be on the water.

I once spent several days 'trapped' in Prisoners with a bad flu bug. No way I was going to go anywhere.  The Admiral wasn't quite ready to bring me home by herself but we were hoping it would pass quickly  (and it did after 24-30 hours).  There are worse places to be sick.... way worse.

Santa Cruz was Beautiful for sure. We didn't plan on a extensive channel island trip so we did not do the permit etc,  in retro it would have been worth it to get the permit for landing as I think we would have enjoyed it,  next time I guess.  Catalina is a mixed bag for me.  My wife spent so much time here as a kid she loves it.  Had a nice walk today.  It reminds me a lot of peak Desolation sound lots of natural beauty but you need to have some serious people patience.  The weekend crowd have left so looks like we will get a couple quiet nights then off to San Diego for a bit.  More family visits etc. then on to the Haha.

working on a smugmug act for all the cruising pics.

Definitely some reflections on weather and choices here with all that's currently going on.  It's been along time since I had the hurricane stress.  We were only in the eastern PAC for about three years but I was still working so gone a lot and had a newborn baby on the boat.  We are on the edge of the line where all the boats fall off into the land of dragons and really big fucked up storms.  Feeling for all those who lost in the Caribbean, Fl, TX, eastern MX, and whatever else comes.  Life's about choices times like these make sure you really own yours.

Sass,

How was last night out there?  Did you get the big lightning show?

Lots of light but no thunder. Brought everything  in and buttoned up the boat, thought rain was coming but no.  It looked to be pretty high up and west of the island.  

So this was the first time the kiddo has seen lightning, kinda cool. She woke the wife up last night asking if we were being invaded by aliens.  She has spent most of the cognitive years in the PNW and no t storms..

Coasties bouy tender just rolled in and dropped the hook in front of us. Little back patting as I called it quite a ways out, the black hull orange strip is pretty unique.  As soon as they had the hook down there must be 10 poles out jigging.  Pretty funny, go coasties and the little bit they get to have fun.

You've had some weird weather the past two weeks in So Cal.  Enjoying the thread, thanks.

Yes weather is a little weird but it is what it is.  The kid is on notice no matter how enibriated her parents are we still hold her to our hi standards.  She was a working it today.  Had a nice hike to Cat harbor.  I would say it's pretty awsome other than the permanent lee shore thing.  So pretty out there.  Really nice place and super nice people working here.  Off we go in the AM to San Diego, really glad we came here and had the visit we did.  Kudos to Brian Fagan.  His book is spot on would highly recommend no issues to anyone cruising this coast.

sassy signing off for a bit

Saying goodbye to Catalina. Home of our little ship and where the missus discovered her love for all things marine.  Walked out to cat harbor today. Really beautiful place.  Her parents used to be in CYC so we walked out to the old out sation on the spit.  Lots of memories of abalone shells  in the cut.

All in all the missus is pretty amazed, it's been 30 years since she has been here and for the most part not a whole lot has changed.  We had a wanker neighbor dude was a d bag not his wife. She apologized for running there gen 24-7 but he never showed his head till they left and he had a rage fit on her abilities at the helm leaving the mooring d bag for sure.

after Monday it's mostly a ghost town.  So bye bye Catalina.  Thanks Rick for being the great dad you were there B.  The ashes will be as you saw fit "halfway to Catalina "

San Diego wins the prize for boats Sailing so far on our trip. On the coast, in the harbor, day time and night time people sailing in all sorts of boats.  Shelter island is probably the least friendly we have experienced as far as people walking by giving the stink eye.  The tweakers on the public dock are pretty chatty and friendly though so there you go.  Got our permit to throw the hook out for a month or so.  Checked out Downwind Marine, super nice people and store, pretty much took care of our punch lost of things we need to do before MX.

Have a few things to wrap up and maybe some day sailing on Sun if lucky.  

If you dinghy into the 'nook of the T' on shelter Island, there's Humphreys, a concert venue (past Bay Club, across from SDYC).  You can watch and hear the acts from the water, and it's a kind of fun party atmosphere with the people on boats and other floating things. Steve Winwood is playing tonight (9/14). 

We saw he was playing when we went by, then my wife looks dup pics of people watching shows there and was deterred but the mass congestion.  Maybe later will see.  We are figuring out the schedule of al things local, enjoying a quiet day on the dock weekends seem to be a good time to be here.

A couple gear related things for anyone who is interested.  On the Max prop front.  There zincs suck no way around that, shitty design with shitty mechanical fasting.  We are in the one to two month conservative mode now planning on stocking spares to accommodate 12 changes per annual.  I am figuring conservatively you need to be re-tightning fasteners at least bi weekly if you are in use full time.  PYI told me to pay special attention to greasing and pick some random interval to give it a check in the 6 month ballpark.  I can say for sure you should be greasing the prop at about 150-200hrs of service or 6 month.  We were at about 400 hrs and 6 months and I put a whole tube of grease in. Not a oh shit moment  but PYI said most props coming to them are beat to shit by no lube from wash out.  I think A 4 times per year hit with the grease gun is probably a good service schedule.  On the Cold galv compound, we used Petit prop coat.  Big thumbs down.  I have use this in the past and been happy but that is with very little boat use.  What i'm seeing now with lots of motoring is the zinc tends to pill on the prop blade making a dimpled surface area ripe for errosion.  I saw no electrolysis issues or pink metal but initially thought we had cavitition or some other weird shit going on.  After polishing the blades it is pretty obvious its just the zinc cold compound making a meteor field.  I hit it all with scotch bright and went back to the tried and true Kiwi juice Lanacoat.  Will require more attention for growth but I'm not sold on the zinc treatment.  Going to finish the bottom tomorrow and send in our anometer for yet another warranty return.  I would stear pretty clear of Garmin's GND 10 nexus interface if you are looking at new products.  My non official opinion is itsshitting out a lot of conflicting sentences still.  I hope they have sorted it out.  After segregating it from our simrad pilot all the pilot issues went away.  There customer service is 50-50.  Not making this up but I have a huge file going on this issue and lots of my own money and time trouble shooting the issue for them;  of the 4 long calls I have had the two with woman have been great and helpful.  the two with dudes have been very annoying and on the verge of hang ups.  So I guess Garmin tech is all about who you get.  I have two independent N2K networks now after the "issues"  will slowly try to bring its all back to one big happy family.  My guess is the GND 10 may be the one who will not play nice so wind data may be on its own display.

You have a 4 blade prop, correct? I have no experience with those, lots of time with 3 blades. I've used up to wheel bearing grease on them with good shifting  response, the stock white lithium grease is pretty thin. If the zinc fastener sockets are dissolving before the center mass of zinc, paint the sockets & 1/2" around them with nail polish or whatevers handy - this drastically slows the loss of zinc in those thin areas, letting the center do more work. You should be getting close to 6 months out of a zinc.

7 hours ago, longy said:

You have a 4 blade prop, correct? I have no experience with those, lots of time with 3 blades. I've used up to wheel bearing grease on them with good shifting  response, the stock white lithium grease is pretty thin. If the zinc fastener sockets are dissolving before the center mass of zinc, paint the sockets & 1/2" around them with nail polish or whatevers handy - this drastically slows the loss of zinc in those thin areas, letting the center do more work. You should be getting close to 6 months out of a zinc.

Agreed. A fast and easier technique is to wrap the perimeter of the zinc with electrical tape. It'll last the 6 months that you should be getting out of the zinc. How zinc'd up is your prop shaft? Any chance your lead keel is bonded to your prop? That's a killer for sure.

I like the nail polish idea, thats pretty simple and should help.  The last zinc we had on was OEM from PYI, specific for the 4 blade easy we have.  This time I'm using a 83mm universal.  It has more mass and I think it might have the metal ring cast in it as well not 100%.  6 months seems about right for us, with min motoring and static dock time, thats what we used to get with the old standard prop nut zinc.  I' guessing that you have to cut you consumption times down considerably for motoring just based on erosion.  Will be interesting to see.  I was concerned about things at the old marina we were in and had our marine electrical friend, who is also a wood boat owner check our whole boat and verify our zincing.  We did this at the same time we put in a isolation transformer.  Used a 1/2 cell and measured all metal to water points, made me feel pretty good about things.  We have very minimal zincs on here a couple plates on the cast iron keels one small disc on the cutlass and stern tube and the prop nut.  So far we are doing well just the prop one wasting at the ss fasteners.  It's a double effect as the small amount of wasting at the faster makes the zinc a slop fit and it most likely rattles itself away motoring.  Just a bad design IMO.  I like the paint scheme think I will give the one a try. 

The grease type seems fine in the prop, I like the check routine as well.  I have lots of years dealing with seawater grease applications and white lithium is about the best so will probably stick with it.

Up the mast today and maybe some bottom cleaning.

So cool to see the insane amount of boats heading out to go sailing today. Clubs, racers, fun, charters etc... have to admit seeing Stars and Stripes heading out was pretty cool regardless.  Got the old Annometer and GND10 sent back today maybe a fun day sail tomorrow will see.  Wind here is interesting seems to do one thing in the bay and be sort of consistent but maybe some more info outside but a little less predictable. 

So feeling like a bit of a moron today.  Our outboard water discharge stopped running other than a drizzle in Catalina.  Since I was way overdue on maintenance I figured the water pump had died.  Of course the closest evinrude dealer in SD is in El Cajon.  Took the bus and train up.  Great public transit here!  The parts guy there told me that most small new Evinrudes and mercurys are just rebranded Tohatsus and a lot of the parts are interchangeable.  Good to know, got two new impellars and serviced it today, new oil lower unit etc.  The old impeller was not that bad but worn some.  At running same problem no water.  A quick google search came up with the "one of three issues for no water" the first being a bug crawled up the outlet hose and died plugging it.  And yes that was it.....

Over in the cruisers anchorage A9,  so far so good, have to say the color was interesting at the police dock but The midnight to 400 am constant party and or tweeker fight got old.  I used to smoke as did the wife and we both finally kicked it this summer in BC.  Wow!!! Whole boat was getting filled with cig smoke from the upwind 24-7 party it's fucking nasty!!

Have to give the major kudos to fortress anchors.  We have had the same smaller guy around as a gift from my father in law.  It's the lunch hook at the ready etc.  I through it out as a stern hook when we got here as I needed to re splice our secoundary, which is a rocna with some chain and three strand.  After I got my chores done and the other hook set. It was the usual insane pull fest to get the fortress out.  They really do hold great in soft bottom.  

Seems like a lot later sun here than Shelter island too.

If you are anchored bow and stern with a given hull type is there a formula for calculating anchor loading based on wind angle in refrencd to cl bow?

2 hours ago, SASSAFRASS said:

If you are anchored bow and stern with a given hull type is there a formula for calculating anchor loading based on wind angle in refrencd to cl bow?

Yes, but we're not going to tell you what it is.

Surface area of side of hull x sin a (wind pressure ) where a is 0 degrees at bow and stern and 90 degrees beam on .....

P=.00256 V squared pounds per square foot, where V is wind speed in miler per hour

so, SA hull x sin a (.00256 V squared) pounds

19 hours ago, olaf hart said:

Surface area of side of hull x sin a (wind pressure ) where a is 0 degrees at bow and stern and 90 degrees beam on .....

P=.00256 V squared pounds per square foot, where V is wind speed in miler per hour

so, SA hull x sin a (.00256 V squared) pounds

If only I had made it past algebra I might actually know what you mean, I barely graduated HS.

So first day in downtown.  Have to say San Diego and San Fran really put Seattle and the others to shame as far as maritime history and support.  It's really embarrassing thinking of the money that's in Seattle and how little they do.

Took the kid on the tour with me, Star of India was the boat that both me and my wife saw as kids and started the addiction to life under sail.  Great exhibits and boats to see.  The new Spanish boat was pretty cool.  They need to up the crew on America seebig her sail trim going by is painful.! Beautiful boat though. So is California.  So cool to see.

The A9 cruisers anchorage is not that bad, a friend informed us the environmental no anchor area behind us is actually a superfund site from General dynamics. The flights are not so bad as they seem to stop before mid and it's all quiet till about 500 am.