DTA

RS700 Newbie Video

On 11/12/2017 at 7:07 AM, robjwilkinson said:

Awesome...reminds me of when I first started out on the 700.  I had a lot of previous time on a Laser Vago, solo trapezeing and using the kite etc.

You might want to consider two things, I should lock the top of the main sail.  Mine had a habit of dropping down a few inches which lost any downhaul or cunningham? (as the USA calls it) which is totally crucial in depowering/opening up the top part of the leach.  Its no ordinary sail, think windsurfer sail ;) I tip my 700 on its side and tie off the sail head to a shackle that i used to replace the sheave pin, I use thin dyneema cord. 

20 ltr float bag, maybe tie one of these to the sail head?  I have no safety boat and a lot of kelp along the shores of my area.  Keeping the 700 on her side so she cant possibly invert is a great comfort.  Yeah it looks sissy, and i lose a knot or two going upwind but for me its just plain common sense.

Keep your trim, going upwind...step up forward, get that leading foot right up next to the shroud, keeping the bow down. 

They are good boats, I tried out a musto skiff while on holiday, had a huge smile as I zipped up and down the bay (Menorca, Fornells Bay) took very few minutes to get use to the layout of the musto..and drew some admiring looks from others...some puzzled as I dont look like a skiff ace ;)

You know, I do that "shackle-the-top-of-sail" thing w/ my Aero. Good to know it's possible to do the same on the RS700.

Yep, pop the sheave pin out, you will need a shackle thats fairly 'deep' if thats the correct term.  I got so fed up with the sail losing its tension, especially when the wind was starting to pick up.

Next regatta we would be glad to switch boats before/after for fun or just let you take ours around. The ufo is fun to learn. Sharing a boat with the husband has pros and cons to say the least. But someone has to watch the little one for now. 

Also would love to have you at some more Texas centerboard regattas. We have a thread on here which is how we communicate. Our misfit fleet is getting more misfit all the time. 

Dude I totally dig your videos!

I like your passion for sailing and the fact that you're really doing it, independent of what others people say.

How often have you been out in the RS700 now and do you have a preliminary resume for blokes like you and me how are dreaming about the high performance dinghy experience?

What's your take on the undertaking so far?

DTA, it was nice meeting you at Wurstfest.  

We have regular, monthly, centerboard races at LCYC.  would be nice to have you out for some of those.  Sail fast....

1 hour ago, High Flow said:

How often have you been out in the RS700 now and do you have a preliminary resume for blokes like you and me how are dreaming about the high performance dinghy experience?

What's your take on the undertaking so far?

High Flow: I've had the boat for about 1 year, and I've probably taken it out sailing 20 times. In my opinion, it's totally doable for anyone who is (1) fit and (2) is very very confident in a Laser or Aero. I've been out in 10-15 mph winds now numerous times, and feel OK in those conditions. Of course, I'm sailing in a small inland lake, so I can't get into too much trouble.

It's true that I still look like an idiot while sailing the RS700, but it's also true that I've had many very long, stable upwind and reaching runs where I'm trapped out on the wire and having an absolute blast. So, yes - you can learn it well enough on your own to have lots of fun and feel like you know how to sail the boat. But to put it in perspective, I was bringing up the rear of the fleet when I sailed at Wurstfest.

The biggest thing is time in the boat. If I sail two weekends in a row, then the third weekend I feel very confident in the boat. But if I miss two weekends of sailing the RS700, then when I hop back in, I feel kind of scared and jittery. So, it seems to be all about time in the boat and in safe conditions.

The biggest asset to have is no ego. I've had drunk redneck boaters ask me: "are you sure you know what you're doing?" because I'm flopping around on the boat, especially during launch and landing, which are the most difficult. But as long as you can get through that initial humiliation, there's a promised land of fun on the other side.

DTA,  Couple of things that may help.

When launching or landing make sure the vang is off.  The main will not be powered up and the boat will be more docile. 

When launching in any breeze when you hold onto the racks head to wind the boat will keep trying to bear away.  If you pull the rig over on top of you while holding the rack the bear away tendency is reduced. This lets you pick your moment to climb on and launch. 

Keep it up. 

Hey, DTA,

Dust off the Garmin.  Let's see what's happening.

As much as I liked the keyball system, I had to ditch them for the hook since the ball wouldn't drop out on its own.  Just have to be more careful not to stab my boat with the hooks on my many capsizes.  Last Sunday had 16 knots of wind so pretty wicked.  Had 3 cameras on the boat and 2 shook loose - fortunately, I had safety straps on both.  Snapped the port shroud so am waiting for the replacement.  Last part of video, did a full teabag, feet off the rack, and still managed to recover by some miracle.

Kurio99 - you're looking good!!!! I've been getting out every couple weeks, but I just haven't been taking my Garmin/camera with me. It's such a hassle setting it up that I just end up leaving it in the care lately.