• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Chris Burns

Knee club part deux

Old one is buried somewhere and I'm lazy. 

This is is the second week after the left knee received stem cell injections. I dropped the crutches Friday. Probably overdid it Saturday and today so I'm a bit sore and stiff. Nothing a good night's sleep won't cure. Both knees feel a lot better. Still stiff ( now I can start re-stretching them)  and they do not like impact yet. Going downstairs or stepping off a curb still hurts a bit. 

But regular walking just. Doesn't. Hurt. So far that's a win. I'll slowly build it up. 

10 hours ago, Bruce T. Shark said:

Nice, what did the stem cell injections actually do?

yah,, what were the injections treating? 

Right knee was first scoped 4 years ago. 3 significant tears, couple of bone spurs, laterally displaced kneecap which had filed its underside off on the projection of bone on the shin, couple of places where I'd worn through the cartiledge into the bone beneath. Surgeon who did it went in expecting two modest tears ...  The MRI lied.  He told me I should have had a replacement right the. And there but ...

4 years later I tore the left meniscus. Not as badly, but enough. Lots of broken off bits floating around in the joint and the right knee had more of the same. Several friends had tried the stem cell knee therapy with some success.  Both are very athletic ladies of about my age - late 50s and both were runners and had similar damage. Both are back to running - fewer miles but - hey. The orthopedic group that had done the first scope had just begun trying the stem cell therapy and I liked their approach and pricing - this is out of pocket. It's an attempt to rebuild the articular surfaces. They anticipate 60% function and reduced/no pain for 5 years or so. 

7 weeks after the right one and 3 after the left one. Both are far less painful. Up stairs no problem - down is still a bit tender. Flat surface no problem. No pain getting down on the ground but getting up is awkward yet. Anything with impact is still touchy. But definitely better. 

Previous surgeon is bringing his son in. They both worked on the scopes this time, cleaning up rough edges and removing broken bits to allow the stem cells a clear field. While I was in recovery they told my wife and son they didn't know how I was still walking ...

Nice, my dad is 84 and has knee problems but wont go see his gp about them, says "old age" sigh...We just lost mom a month ago (2 days before their 58th wedding anniversary), his quality of life would be improved so much...my brother and I have a durable power of attorney and hippa relaease...time to start calling...

7 hours ago, Bruce T. Shark said:

..............my brother and I have a durable power of attorney and hippa relaease...time to start calling...

...I don't suppose you'll -force- him to surgery!? :o

No...Dad has been thru a lot these past few months..long story short, looks like my mom had dementia a while, plus dad (iaw moms living will) agreed to put her in a palliative care unit.  My sister had the balls to call him (and my brother and I) murderous bastards.  I took dad up the night before mom died to visit with her (an hour away).  I think Dad has made his peace with his life...and it is a shame as while he is not in as good as shape as his mother (who lived to 105, and was lucid up to her last 3 months), his quality of life could  be good with minimal effort..

I am more for trying to get him some predazone for his arthritis or something to help his mobility, it is a major effort to get him up out of a sitting position.