• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Boatzilla

Find me a 30 footer in PNW with a turn of speed

33 posts in this topic

Looking for a 30 foot cruiser with a turn of speed for Puget Sound. Budget < 50k. Top candidates are C&C MKII, Olson 911 (Ericson version is fine), S2 9.1, Tartan 31, Pearson 31-2, Mirage 30 or similar. You get the idea, late 80's or newer racer/cruiser. Needs to fit in a 30 foot slip with a little wiggle room. 

Boat won't be raced, but needs to be fun to sail. Light air performance is important. Tiller is a plus. I have a dry sailed Antrim 27 for racing. 

Any leads or suggestions for boats that I should consider would be appreciated. Cheers!

Santana 30/30PC?

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1982/Santana-30-30-3048270/Alameda/CA/United-States#.WT4YOOsrI0Q

S2 9.1 or Olson 911/SE are probably better all condition boats, but the 30/30PC likely amongst the best of the 30 footer Racer/Cruisers in light air...

Frers 30 or Goman Express 30 also viable alternative with good light air speed...

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/65938

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1984/Express-30-2773889/Georgian-Bay/Canada#.WT4Y2usrI0Q

I've owned a 30/30RC, a Bene First 30E, and a S2 9.1 FWIW...

I spent a while hunting for the same thing in 2016 (with a size goal of 34' or less).  Good luck!  Boats like that don't show up too often, and when they do they sell pretty fast.  We ended up pushing up the budget and size range to get the right boat for us.

I'm surprised that you have the Pearson 31-2 on your list.  I had a Pearson 28-2 as my last boat and it's a really great boat (and well built), but more cruiser/racer than racer/cruiser.  The Pearson 31-2 appears to be the same with a base PHRF in the 160s.  With stock parts (furler, smaller sails, fixed prop, no kite) it is probably closer to the 190s.

One boat that does show up a lot that isn't on your list and should be is the J/30.  The later model interior is nicer for cruising and a lot less common, but they occasionally show up too.

CS 30 would be another candidate.  Not sure how many are available in the PNW

38 minutes ago, Boatzilla said:

There is a 30/30 PC on the market. Never sailed one but I'm somewhat concerned about the build quality 

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/boa/6103212010.html

Looks pretty nice. 

I owned mine for 5 years.  Build quality was good, better than some, but not great.  Hull was single skin with no core.  Deck was cored.  Toerails leaked, but not too hard to fix.  Good deck hardware, right sized for job, etc.  I'd buy another...just don't expect swan quality.  But you're not getting macgreggor crap either, so....

I've got a 9.1 for sale cheap. Unfortunately it's on the east  coast. The 9.1 would fit the bill though

DSC_0423-1024x681.jpg

This is my idea of the perfect 30' cruising boat for the PNW, since you already have a cool sailboat. With 18 knots on all points of sail in most conditions, you can get to Desolation Sound in a long day..

Moonglow for sale.

That's a Sam Devlin boat I walk by all the time in Oly. She's a beauty. I have a C-Dory 22 Cruiser so got that covered too. 

Made an offer on a C&C 30 MKII yesterday. Unlisted boat. Fingers crossed that the survey turns out OK. It's freaking huge for a 30 footer. 

Thanks for the replies. Pretty sure I've lost my mind but fuck it. Life is short. I'll follow up if the deal goes through, or plead for more leads if it does not. Cheers. 

Well that was a disaster. Bottom had structural blisters and areas of delimitation. Rudder was toast too. 

I'm back pleading for more leads on loved 30 footers in the PNW. 

Here's a PNW twofer -  Hotfoot 31 and Ross 930 (in previous Van Isle 360) and TC at Inner Harbour.  Both may be lighter than you'd like but decent coastal cruisers

22086716871_7f2cc63e40_z.jpg

879355_orig.jpg

Good luck finding them for sale though!

8 hours ago, Alex W said:

Good luck finding them for sale though!

Agreed,

Only 7 maybe 8 real HF 31s built.  Strider sold fairly recently (surprised me given the asking price, but don't knows what the selling price was).  X-Centric is kind of on the market so a little birdie told me.

Not many Ross 930s either, but they do pop up every now and then.  Probably more of them than the HF 31

8 hours ago, Zonker said:

I've had 2 over the years.  Nice fast easy to sail boat with decent interior for what it is.  Sweptback rig means you don't need to use the runners except to get that last little bit of point.  They've won just about every major PNW event over the years.  I think Fetish has won their Div at Cow Bay something like 8 of the last 10 years

But for not too many more dollars, a Laser 28 would be a better choice.  Better interior with more headroom plus an inboard diesel with saildrive

On 6/14/2017 at 9:24 PM, Boatzilla said:

That's a Sam Devlin boat I walk by all the time in Oly. She's a beauty. I have a C-Dory 22 Cruiser so got that covered too. 

Made an offer on a C&C 30 MKII yesterday. Unlisted boat. Fingers crossed that the survey turns out OK. It's freaking huge for a 30 footer. 

Thanks for the replies. Pretty sure I've lost my mind but fuck it. Life is short. I'll follow up if the deal goes through, or plead for more leads if it does not. Cheers. 

I have a C-Dory 22 also. Are you a C-Brat?

There have been a few cool 30' racer/cruisers that have been on the market the past few years, the Jespersen and Kennedy 30's come to mind. Hope you can find something, it'd be fun to see another quick 30' cruiser down here!

There were at least 3 Wilderness 30s for sale recently in this area.  They seem like they have some cool potential, but I never actually got out and sailed on one.

The thread here might be useful, I was looking for similar boats to what you want (ignore that I ended up buying something fairly different):

12 metre: I'm curious what Strider went for too.  He wouldn't budge on price when I was trying to buy it, but maybe the looming fall (it was on the market for 8 months before it sold) got him to change his mind.  I also know that the buyer is a sailmaker, so the lack of functional sails was probably not a big concern to him (it was to me).

41 minutes ago, Alex W said:

There were at least 3 Wilderness 30s for sale recently in this area.  They seem like they have some cool potential, but I never actually got out and sailed on one.

The thread here might be useful, I was looking for similar boats to what you want (ignore that I ended up buying something fairly different):

12 metre: I'm curious what Strider went for too.  He wouldn't budge on price when I was trying to buy it, but maybe the looming fall (it was on the market for 8 months before it sold) got him to change his mind.  I also know that the buyer is a sailmaker, so the lack of functional sails was probably not a big concern to him (it was to me).

I raced on a Wilderness 30 quite a few times last summer.  Decent boat.  Sails to its rating of something like 135 or 138.  Interior better than an O30, but far short of a HF 31 or Ross 930.  What I find a bit disturbing is that a well designed ULDB of this size with no regard to rating rules and minimal interior should be as fast as an O30 IMHO - yet the Wilderness 30 rates slower than a HF 31 or Ross 930, both of which make decent coastal cruisers.

I know a guy who bought a W30 recently for next to nothing ($5k asking price or thereabouts IIRC).  Allegedly as an interim boat after the mast folded on his Davidson 29.  I say allegedly because I heard a rumour that the cost to replace the mast on the Davo exceeds it's insured value.  A real shame if true.

A Davidson 29 with no mast must still have significant value.  Those boats, all 2 of them, have a serious fan club in the PNW.  I hope it is saved.

50 minutes ago, Alex W said:

A Davidson 29 with no mast must still have significant value.  Those boats, all 2 of them, have a serious fan club in the PNW.  I hope it is saved.

I'm one of the biggest fans.  What's not to like?  I believe it has more interior volume and accommodations than a Catalina 30 and faster than a J/29.

The thing is, a D29 without a mast will have to have one at some point.   I heard the replacement cost for the mast was about $30k all in.

I suppose if it were written off, it could be bought for very cheap and if a suitable used section were found, it could work.

There is a guy in Port Townsend who has been sitting on a new Sparcraft Soverel 33 mast that he bought for something like $1k several years ago, but I've been told he refuses to sell.

The Sov mast is a bit short (due to less bury) but has about the same I measurement.  You could jack the mast step up say 6" or so and whack the top mast portion off and it would be almost perfect.

I'd buy the Davidson 29 w/ no mast and bring her back. PM me if you have any info. I assume this is Kodiak?

The Wilderness 30 sold for 3.5K. Oly owner quit paying moorage and so it went fast. Project for sure, but cool boat.

35 minutes ago, Boatzilla said:

I'd buy the Davidson 29 w/ no mast and bring her back. PM me if you have any info. I assume this is Kodiak?

The Wilderness 30 sold for 3.5K. Oly owner quit paying moorage and so it went fast. Project for sure, but cool boat.

I'll PM the owner (on another sailing site) to see if he is okay with that - and see if he has any info.

Yes, Kodiak.

2 hours ago, 12 metre said:

I'll PM the owner (on another sailing site) to see if he is okay with that - and see if he has any info.

Yes, Kodiak.

Thanks! Cheers!

21 hours ago, Boatzilla said:

Thanks! Cheers!

Apparently Kodiak's new rig is already in the works. Trust me on that. It was a shame to have it written off as it's rare, special boat that couldn't be replaced so they made it happen. 

Funnily enough that Wildy 30 was bought by on of the Kodiak sailors and has a moorage in Bainbridge Is. near his home. A pic below. And I know all about Wilderness 30's - trust me on that too. 

18485667_10158722829835302_335829961919833294_n.jpg.1dfc2e3b97b1645756f40c951a7beaf1.jpg

14 minutes ago, Maxx Baqustae said:

Apparently Kodiak's new rig is already in the works. Trust me on that. It was a shame to have it written off as it's rare, special boat that couldn't be replaced so they made it happen. 

Funnily enough that Wildy 30 was bought by on of the Kodiak sailors and has a moorage in Bainbridge Is. near his home. A pic below. And I know all about Wilderness 30's - trust me on that too. 

Very glad to hear Kodiak will survive to race another day.

It would be great if someone were able to step up and have another one built (the hull/deck molds still exist, but none of the other tooling).  I was seriously looking at it at one point until circumstances changed.  I still think it is a near perfect PNW cruiser/racer even though the design is going on 30 years old.  Okay, maybe the rudder could be enlarged a tad to handle all the power these boats generate.

Good to hear that Kodiak is on her way back and that the Wilderness 30 is getting some love. 

For now I'm enjoying the Antrim 27 with the floorboard and full cushions - cruise mode! Did a bunch of great family sailing this past weekend with just the jib. 

I picked up an Ericson built Olson 911-S from Tyee Marina. Big-ass 30 footer and sails well. We are pretty happy with the new family cruiser. Thanks for the leads and input on the hunt. 

Cheers. 

On 6/14/2017 at 5:37 PM, Trevor B said:

DSC_0423-1024x681.jpg

This is my idea of the perfect 30' cruising boat for the PNW, since you already have a cool sailboat. With 18 knots on all points of sail in most conditions, you can get to Desolation Sound in a long day..

Moonglow for sale.

After the fact, and I know it's turning to the dark side, but yeah.  We just spent a week in BC - South Pender ad the Saanich Peninsula (which usually has some wind), and no breeze except for spotty light tidal generated apparent wind.  Motorboat with some daysailing dinghies aboard, motor someplace with wind, anchor, explore, enjoy? RV with a daysailer in tow might do the trick too.....

18 knots seems a bit fast with all the crap in the water over there- 10 knots gives you time to avoid stuff and relax rather than the team effort.  May an older fishing boat with a bunch of lasers or aeros aboard?

Roger Martin's 30' Presto Sharpie might do the trick if you could find one at your price range- trailerable etc.

On 6/14/2017 at 9:24 PM, Boatzilla said:

You do realize that once you have more than one boat they multiply like rabbits-