• Announcements

    • Zapata

      Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

      Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Charlie Foxtrot

J-22?

Recommended Posts

Since I'm down here in Floriduh, just a Meth-head toss from the Indian River/ Intercoastal Waterway, I'm feeling the need to cough up my anchor. Out on the Left Coast, the small, respectable keel boat daysailer is the Santana 20, or gawd forbid, the Cal 20. Out here on the Atlantic, I'm told it's the J-22.

If you guys could moor your zero-turn mowers for a sec, what does the hive-mindless think about the J-22?  It'd be a single-hander, a daysailer, meebye a sometime PHRF racer. I couldn't race it in class as my fattass is a godly portion of the allowed 605 pounds of crew. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had access to one for a season of beer can races and I thought it was a good little boat. Had a good time on it

Keep an eye on the Spinnaker halyard sheave at the top of the mast. We had one get stuck and we went almost all the way to Capitola before we sent a skinny person up the mast get it loose.

She was scared at first. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

She was the 40 ish investment banker with big hoots that owned the boat.

I was the 26 ish bronzed surf god / boat boy that ran the boat for her.

Boy howdy, them were the days . . .:)

Edit:

Oh yeah, it stayed in the water that year. Forgot what I was doing there for a moment 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I race regularly on a 22, we now have close to 20 boats for Wed beer cans. Not setup well to single hand, no reef points on main jib winch and cleats out of reach so imo not ideal for that.  In phrf they can be a giant killer in light air. Almost all are dry sailed with most using a crane (it's an easy lift) and some have slings.  Probably going to pay a premium since the class is so active over something not being raced 1d.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dorado said:

She was the 40 ish investment banker with big hoots that owned the boat.

I was the 26 ish bronzed surf god / boat boy that ran the boat for her.

Boy howdy, them were the days . . .:)

LOL. With you, it had to be either tits or beer, and hey, I guessed wrong.  ;) 

Thanks d'ranger.  I've read the J-22 forum about self furling jibs, slab reefing, etc, for single handing, but they didn't mention your cogent points about the winches and cleats. However, it does seem like the solutions can be found using the time tested methods of excessive money and time.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What do you think this is......  a sailing forum?

Geeezzzzz us....  what is the world coming to

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, nacradriver said:

What do you think this is......  a sailing forum?

Geeezzzzz us....  what is the world coming to

I know, huh? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Go 2 to 1 on the jib sheets, add a couple of cam cleats accessible to the helmsman.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/15/2017 at 8:24 AM, F_L said:

Go 2 to 1 on the jib sheets, add a couple of cam cleats accessible to the helmsman.

Yup, and Harken ratcheting turning blocks.  That should tame the non-overlapping jib. 

The boat I've got my eye on is about $7k, but it's a VERY early boat, from the first year of production. <shudder>

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

Yup, and Harken ratcheting turning blocks.  That should tame the non-overlapping jib. 

The boat I've got my eye on is about $7k, but it's a VERY early boat, from the first year of production. <shudder>

Don't be afraid of old boats. I have #36. #24 is at my club and pretty damn fast. Old boats can certainly have issues but look it over and see what it needs.Post any issues here and you will get plenty of advice.

Ratchets as jib leads can be a problem with some sails. On #36 we use figure 8 knots for the sheets and small bullet blocks for leads. At max trim we almost kiss the block with the jib clew. A taller block would keep us from max trim. Some sailmakers have raised the jib clew.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/16/2017 at 11:16 AM, F_L said:

Don't be afraid of old boats. I have #36. #24 is at my club and pretty damn fast. Old boats can certainly have issues but look it over and see what it needs.Post any issues here and you will get plenty of advice.

Mostly afraid of the cored decks. I know J-22s are not balsa cored - but still.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

Mostly afraid of the cored decks. I know J-22s are not balsa cored - but still.....

J22's are balsa cored. Still no need to  be afraid. Most core issues are the result of neglect and readily visible. Leaky deck fitting? Seal the damn thing! If the interior is clean and bright, probably a dry boat. Any water trails down below, bulkheads solid at the chain plates? Do be aware that the early J's blistered like a mofo. Has it been drysailed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/22/2017 at 9:10 AM, F_L said:

J22's are balsa cored. Still no need to  be afraid. Most core issues are the result of neglect and readily visible. Leaky deck fitting? Seal the damn thing! If the interior is clean and bright, probably a dry boat. Any water trails down below, bulkheads solid at the chain plates? Do be aware that the early J's blistered like a mofo. Has it been drysailed?

The J website says the 22 is Baltek cored. Is that a later change? 

I'm a big fan of drysailing, launching from dry, mast up storage via a crane. Dry sailed a Hobie 33 like that. Doesn't have the panty-dropping panache of in the water mooring, but it makes things so much easier. Everything dissolves in salt water. I don't know the history of the boat, but I've seen photos of it stored in the water and dry.  I'd call the seller for the skinny, but I'm afraid I'd end up throwing my wallet at him. And the new house here in Floriduh is killing me by a death of $1000 cuts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice boat for what you want, easy to rig and not overly powerful yet go well in light air. The bolt rope main can be a chore to raise single handed but this is easily overcome.

As mentioned above look inside for marks of water ingress through the deck around the chain plates in particular.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this