H3LlIoN

Tracking the Lindenberg 28's

Hello all,

As a bit of a personal interest/research project, I am trying to track the lindenberg L28's. Wondering if anybody can help fill in the blanks. 

I'm still missing:

#4 Last known as Starstruck and owned by Steve Schultz of Kissimmee, FL circa '05.

#8 Last known as Zulu Warrior and owned by Jeff & Kristen Mason of Bath, ME circa '05

#9 Last known as Meatloaf, last known Julian Guildersleeve, Antigua circa '04

#11 Last known as Boondoggle, last known Gerry DeRay, Ft. Walton, FL circa '02

#12 Last known as Tiberon, Art Perez, Miami, FL circa '02

#13 Last known as Addiction, Mark Cloutier, Bermuda circa '03

I have possitive ID's and locations for the rest. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

- h3

11 minutes ago, TBone said:

How many were built?

11 by Lindenberg when they were still in business. A 12th by Lightwave after Lindenberg ceased operations. The 13th is rumored and I don't know who built it.

19 minutes ago, sshow bob said:

Aren't they all in Maine and racing under one family?

Hulls 1,5,6 and 10 are in Maine under one family. Hull 7 is also in Maine, and is a friend of said family.

Of those, 1 and 5 are racing. 6 is in refit and 7/10 are laid up.

4 minutes ago, H3LlIoN said:

Hulls 1,5,6 and 10 are in Maine under one family. Hull 7 is also in Maine, and is a friend of said family.

Is #7 the old Ligero? There used to be 3 at DIYC in Tampa...Ligero, Starstruck, and a third I can't remember name of. This was back in the late 80s though. Good boats. 

2 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Is #7 the old Ligero? There used to be 3 at DIYC in Tampa...Ligero, Starstruck, and a third I can't remember name of. This was back in the late 80s though. Good boats. 

7 is indeed ex. Ligero. Currently Drekker, ex Bang?!?, ex Coyote Ugly.

14 minutes ago, H3LlIoN said:

7 is indeed ex. Ligero. Currently Drekker, ex Bang?!?, ex Coyote Ugly.

Third boat I was thinking of was Panache. Working on #.  May have been a 4th boat too. Starstruck carried # 284 when it was in Tampa.

I can't edit the first post, but previous names as follows:

#4 Originally Starstruck, then Masthead Madness, then last known as Starstruck again.

#8 Originally Zulu Warrior, then Panache, then last known as Zulu Warrior. Sail number possibly 40692

#9 Originally Meatloaf, then Spanish Fly. May currently be known as Seeya

#11 Originally Per de Mer, last known as Boondoggle

#12 Originally Peregrine, last known as Tiburon. Ex. Cotton Picker

#13 Unknown origin. Last known as Addiction. Ex. Crab Apple, Ex. Turbo Dog. Sail Number 73367 (or 73376)

Ah yes, Spanish Fly was a 4th boat in Tampa. I sailed on it once, brought Dawn Riley along as she was in town. Sailed on Starstruck several times. I measured all those boats for MORC ratings back then...there was quite a discrepancy in weights and rig heights.

I think Per de Mere was sailing out of Jacksonville at the time. And Teddy Turner brought one down from Atlanta for a MORC Midwinters about then...don't know if he was owner or just skipper.

We at one time had five of them sailing at Melbourne YC in Florida.

From the results of the 2007 MYC Fall Regatta: #3 Fast Lane, pictured above owned by Sherry Beckett. Sail# 284 Starstruck owned by Steve Schultz, #5 Five Speed owned by Gary Smith, #12 Mouse owned by Jim Henry, and Sail# 32591 Bad Penny owned by Jim Yates.

Sail #4 is now called Slippery Ghost and owned by Lachlan and Warrick Smith, Gary Smith's sons. They sail it in Melbourne.

44 minutes ago, Foxy said:

Sail #4 is now called Slippery Ghost and owned by Lachlan and Warrick Smith, Gary Smith's sons. They sail it in Melbourne.

So that would be ex. Starstruck, hull 4? Thank you for the info.

Five Speed is still Five Speed, and sailing out of Portland Maine. Mouse is hull #2, and is currently sailing as Big Blue out of Telemar Bay Marina, Fl. Bad Penny is now known as as Last Red Cent, and is also out of Portland. Fast Lane pictured above is now sailing as Luna Sea and sailing out of Bristol, RI.

Starstruck is now Slippery Ghost, in Melbourne. Gary Smith built #12, I believe.

# 11 just showed up in Melbourne will have to find the name. I believe it's Boondoggle, or something like that.

Fast Lane went to Ohio and was called Sea Turtle, I believe it's, was for sale. Lost track

Per De Mere was recently for sale. (Florida Panhandle)  Not sure if it sold yet or not.

A few of the later boats had tall rigs.  Back in early 90's, Lightwave (Rockledge, FL) wanted to build a "turbo" hull # 13. It would have had a plumb bow, wider cockpit with traveler on the floor, Airex bulkhead, vacume bagged West System layup.  Would have  been  a nice boat.

Boondoggle/Per de Mer are the same hull.

Fast Lane went to Ohio as Sea Turtle. She sold recently and is in Bristol as Luna Sea.

The one in Texas was Tiburon/Cotton Picker/Peregrine.

Thank you guys for chiming in, it is greatly appreciated.

IIRC they're a good bit lighter than a J-29. PHRF ratings are very close, or identical. A J-29 has a bit of an edge upwind, particularly in a breeze. Lindenberg has an edge offwind...they'll plane pretty readily.

28 minutes ago, By the lee said:

Because, form stability in the form of another 18" of beam, which needs as I remember reading somewheres a deeper cut main to drive it.

Form stability is hull shape and waterline beam...both are pretty similar. J-29 has more beam on deck IIRC, for crew righting moment, and also a bit more weight and ballast. Maybe a little more draft. 

21 minutes ago, By the lee said:

You're right. In actuality they ain't all that similar. J weighs 2000# more! W/only 100#/few " more in the keel.

35% vs 50% ballast ratio for Lindy.........

I weighed 4 for MORC, weights were from about 4300-4900. Ligero was the heaviest. I don't think any built were 4000. Js I don't know.

If I remember right Creole Cooking became Mouse.

I remember doing a Father's  Day Regatta  on Bad Penny. We sailed side by side, dead down, with Five Speed for about 8 miles. Both of us planeing.

Great ride.

So Creole Cookin' actually became Bad Penny. She is now Last Red Cent, and the same gentleman owns both her and Five Speed. Both are in Maine.

I believe there was one named Fearless in Charleston in the 1990s.  Any word on what happened to her?  It was a great beer can / inshore racer.

Fearless, hull 10, was purchased by her current owner in 1999. She is still called Fearless and was last racing out of Maine. She is currently laid up as her owner has gone cruising.

5 speed was in Norfolk for a while.  Was replaced by a Melges 24

1 hour ago, H3LlIoN said:

Fearless, hull 10, was purchased by her current owner in 1999. She is still called Fearless and was last racing out of Maine. She is currently laid up as her owner has gone cruising.

Awesome - thank you.  Fond memories of Wednesday nights on her...

27 minutes ago, jewingiv said:

Awesome - thank you.  Fond memories of Wednesday nights on her...

Of course! I've raced on Cat's Paw and they are a ton of fun.

On 6/15/2017 at 10:30 PM, RKoch said:

Third boat I was thinking of was Panache. Working on #.  May have been a 4th boat too. Starstruck carried # 284 when it was in Tampa.

I crewed on Panache the Lindenberg 28 as well as Panache the J-24 regularly and Ligero occasionally.    I was in college and was suppose to crew on Ligero for the 1985 Labor Day Race from Davis Islands to Sarasota, which was the year that Hurricane Elaina took up residence offshore from St. Petersburg.   Parents basically said if I stepped on the boat, I would be paying for the rest of my college on my own.   I liked being in college, so I didn't ride.

Thanks for making the ganglia dance in recall!

On 6/16/2017 at 6:35 PM, RKoch said:

I weighed 4 for MORC, weights were from about 4300-4900. Ligero was the heaviest. I don't think any built were 4000. Js I don't know.

If I remember correctly, provisions were allowed to be on the boat when weighed.    

My father would stow cases of beer under the quarter berths and forward vberths.   I did a deep cleaning of the boat out on several occasions and would remove between 24 and 27 cases of beer stowed on a Morgan 24.    That was between 755 and 800 pounds of beer!    Boat never ran out of beer on an outing, as long as you didn't mind the label faded off of the cans.

Were sails allowed to be onboard for weighing in MORC?

7 minutes ago, stumblingthunder said:

I crewed on Panache the Lindenberg 28 as well as Panache the J-24 regularly and Ligero occasionally.    I was in college and was suppose to crew on Ligero for the 1985 Labor Day Race from Davis Islands to Sarasota, which was the year that Hurricane Elaina took up residence offshore from St. Petersburg.   Parents basically said if I stepped on the boat, I would be paying for the rest of my college on my own.   I liked being in college, so I didn't ride.

Thanks for making the ganglia dance in recall!

I was on the boat that beat Ligero by 1 sec in the Hurricane Elena Race. Morgan 24 Makaira, with Jeff Linton driving. Averaged 8 knots up Hillsborough Bay downwind in 40kn with the kite up. 

7 minutes ago, stumblingthunder said:

If I remember correctly, provisions were allowed to be on the boat when weighed.    

My father would stow cases of beer under the quarter berths and forward vberths.   I did a deep cleaning of the boat out on several occasions and would remove between 24 and 27 cases of beer stowed on a Morgan 24.    That was between 755 and 800 pounds of beer!    Boat never ran out of beer on an outing, as long as you didn't mind the label faded off of the cans.

Were sails allowed to be onboard for weighing in MORC?

No provisions or water allowed weighing or measuring. No sails except mainsail on boom. Allowed was 25# tools and spare parts, 50# batteries (or 2% of weight), 6 gal gas, anchor (lbs <LOA), chain <LOA, and cushions. Sheets, blocks, sailing gear , and OB allowed. No bedding, no personal effects. No galley gear except permanently mounted stove. All loose gear and batteries had to be placed at 50% LOA. Portable gas tank at 50%, permanent tank could stay in place. 

Just now, RKoch said:

No provisions or water allowed weighing or measuring. No sails except mainsail on boom. Allowed was 25# tools and spare parts, 50# batteries (or 2% of weight), 6 gal gas, anchor (lbs <LOA), chain <LOA, and cushions. Sheets, blocks, sailing gear allowed. No bedding, no personal effects. No galley gear except permanently mounted stove.

Then Dad must have pulled all of that prior and put it back in.    He was not one to even try to bend the meaning of the rules.  

I knew Makaira well.   Spent most of the 70s on the weather rail of Tina, racing against them.

On 6/19/2017 at 8:20 AM, H3LlIoN said:

So Creole Cookin' actually became Bad Penny. She is now Last Red Cent, and the same gentleman owns both her and Five Speed. Both are in Maine.

I stand corrected.You are right, Creole Cooking became Bad Penny.

Mouse is still in Melbourne, new owner spent mega bucks restoring, But I have never seen it off the dock.

On 6/16/2017 at 7:30 AM, Foxy said:

We at one time had five of them sailing at Melbourne YC in Florida.

From the results of the 2007 MYC Fall Regatta: #3 Fast Lane, pictured above owned by Sherry Beckett. Sail# 284 Starstruck owned by Steve Schultz, #5 Five Speed owned by Gary Smith, #12 Mouse owned by Jim Henry, and Sail# 32591 Bad Penny owned by Jim Yates.

32591 Last Red Cent used to come to Marblehead for the PHRF-NE's. Do they go to the NE's in Maine now?

On 6/16/2017 at 9:21 AM, Junkyard Dog said:

There was one in Texas in the late 90s. I ran into it on Lake Waco, but it was from Dallas or Canyon Lake. Don't remember which.

In the 90s one was on Lake Belton, they brought it to the NOODs in Galveston Bay where it won it's class 1998

Paul Lindenberg ...drew some fast boats and built his fair share too....I owned a  Lindenberg OK dingy and sailed aboard his 60' OSTAR commingled design (Lars Bergstrom) Thursday Child....

IMG_0085.jpg

There was one on Lake Lanier. Search showing it was named "Just Friends" sail #12. Last results posted in 2004 or so. That was about the time I picked up a J/29. That Lindenberg was a great looking boat.

Paul Lindenberg is alive and well in Melbourne, Fl.

He is putting the finishing touches on a 14ft. sailing skiff he built from wood, with the help of friends.

A work of art, can't wait to see it sailing.

Know this boat well, in the same harbor with my boat.

They really did a nice job of fixing it up. I believe the sails only have two or three races on them.

Unfortunately, only about 10% of 'fix-up' costs are recovered in subsequent sale. So $15,000 in new sails (as an example) only adds about $1500 to the selling price of boat.

I sailed regularly on Mouse in Melbourne from 2009 - 2011. According to http://gya-phrf.com/ under their rating listings, Boondoggle sails out of Bluewater Bay Sailing Club in Niceville, FL. Had some great times on those boats! Here is a picture of Mouse and Fast Lane in 2010.DSC_2010-10-24_11-41-32.jpg

The above Craigslist ad is/was a dud.......

I called/texted in regards to the L28 he supposedly had for sale......He had no idea what I was talking about.

Saw the thread on tracking the Lindenberg 28's. Addiction was written off in a hurricane in Bermuda 2 years ago - sitting in my yard as a possible project but doesn't make economic sense. Sad ending to an awesome boat. Reach out if you now of a lindenberg 28 for sale or someone interested in spares, sails etc.