• Announcements

    • Zapata

      Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

      Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
nacradriver

Xbox Power Supply

Recommended Posts

Kid has Xbox One and we have gone through a few of the power supply adapters.  Hasn't been a problem as we got the extend warranty where we just brought it back on got new one...But the jig is up as Fry's will no longer honor the warranty... I am guessing I have worn out the welcome with this and I don't blame them as we have replace one just about every four months for the past year or so... 

With that, any one else burning through these things like this?  We have done everything right, that is it has it's own plug, keep the air slots clean, keep in a well ventilated area to stay cool, etc....  and yet they keep burning out..

Or, are these things just Chinese crap?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We haven't lost a power supply yet but these suckers do run hot. I don't stack anything on top of it so it can get max air flow. We also set it not to auto update, as that keeps the system on 24/7. 

They are just Chinese crap. Ours lost its optical drive within a month.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had an xbox. I traded her in for the current one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The game consoles of today are mainly PC derivatives, designed for minimum manufacturing cost. Power supplies are basically expensive parts (power handling is always expensive), thus these are made just on minimum budget, there is no power margin.  Generally, when designing electronics one tries to have some nice 1.5 - 2.0 x  power marging, the meet the power peak when everything is used at peak power for a bit longer time. Apparently not for the game consoles.

I am just in the process of chaning the power supply for a PS4. Had a look into the broken unit - was not inmpressed at all. Obviously, Sony had outsourced design of this as well - the unit is consists of a plastic module with electronics inside, probably in order for Sony to be able to buy these from some few different suppliers. 

Quality, reliability and all such - bye bye.

//J

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ross said:

Do you have an additional air cooler for the thing?

Me? No. There is no space internally, of course no power, so no. Then it is not terribly hot where I live :(, ambient temps are low. 

But, it is an idea, thanks! I'll think about how an external fan can be used. 

Not fully convinced it is temps that kills these. When I get the replacement and everything works then I will have a deeper look on the old one. 

J

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Jaramaz said:

Me? No. There is no space internally, of course no power, so no. Then it is not terribly hot where I live :(, ambient temps are low. 

But, it is an idea, thanks! I'll think about how an external fan can be used. 

Not fully convinced it is temps that kills these. When I get the replacement and everything works then I will have a deeper look on the old one. 

J

They make fans like this, you model may vary.

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/442994028575484300?lsf=seller:6136318,store:13700668029539397784&prds=oid:4918416720791203151&q=x+box+one+external+fan&hl=en&ei=vMtHWbPDGYLWmwHPo63QBQ&lsft=gclid:CjwKEAjw7J3KBRCxv93Q3KSukXQSJADzFzVS5whd0lVwWfPfDxphnlzNIjHfs4buYFc7-ApPDyuSBxoCpjnw_wcB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ross said:

Pretty cool (pun)..  and thanks

The part we have an issue with is this piece of crap..  We have been told the new ones have a cooling fan

c700x420.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/15/2017 at 5:34 PM, nacradriver said:

Kid has Xbox One and we have gone through a few of the power supply adapters.  Hasn't been a problem as we got the extend warranty where we just brought it back on got new one...But the jig is up as Fry's will no longer honor the warranty... I am guessing I have worn out the welcome with this and I don't blame them as we have replace one just about every four months for the past year or so... 

With that, any one else burning through these things like this?  We have done everything right, that is it has it's own plug, keep the air slots clean, keep in a well ventilated area to stay cool, etc....  and yet they keep burning out..

Or, are these things just Chinese crap?

was there an expiration date on the warranty? if not, they cannot ignore the warranty..   I would suggest a letter to both Fry's and Microsoft .. why not ask Fry's to replace the whole unit as it seems defective..  you know, fire hazard etc..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, dreaded said:

was there an expiration date on the warranty? if not, they cannot ignore the warranty..   I would suggest a letter to both Fry's and Microsoft .. why not ask Fry's to replace the whole unit as it seems defective..  you know, fire hazard etc..

Fry's has actually been pretty good about it as we have replaced a few of them no questions asked under the extended warranty...  And they did give me a 15% discount on the purchase of a new one with an extended warranty of course...  my time is worth more that the $35.00 for the new part..    And MS... well just getting to the right place to seek help is an issue....  We finally did, they acknowledged the issue and noted the new units have a better cooling fan...  But there is only a 90 day warranty on the power bricks..

We'll see how this plays out...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this