• Announcements

    • UnderDawg

      A Few Simple Rules   05/22/2017

      Sailing Anarchy is a very lightly moderated site. This is by design, to afford a more free atmosphere for discussion. There are plenty of sailing forums you can go to where swearing isn't allowed, confrontation is squelched and, and you can have a moderator finger-wag at you for your attitude. SA tries to avoid that and allow for more adult behavior without moderators editing your posts and whacking knuckles with rulers. We don't have a long list of published "thou shalt nots" either, and this is by design. Too many absolute rules paints us into too many corners. So check the Terms of Service - there IS language there about certain types of behavior that is not permitted. We interpret that lightly and permit a lot of latitude, but we DO reserve the right to take action when something is too extreme to tolerate (too racist, graphic, violent, misogynistic, etc.). Yes, that is subjective, but it allows us discretion. Avoiding a laundry list of rules allows for freedom; don't abuse it. However there ARE a few basic rules that will earn you a suspension, and apparently a brief refresher is in order. 1) Allegations of pedophilia - there is no tolerance for this. So if you make allegations, jokes, innuendo or suggestions about child molestation, child pornography, abuse or inappropriate behavior with minors etc. about someone on this board you will get a time out. This is pretty much automatic; this behavior can have real world effect and is not acceptable. Obviously the subject is not banned when discussion of it is apropos, e.g. talking about an item in the news for instance. But allegations or references directed at or about another poster is verboten. 2) Outing people - providing real world identifiable information about users on the forums who prefer to remain anonymous. Yes, some of us post with our real names - not a problem to use them. However many do NOT, and if you find out someone's name keep it to yourself, first or last. This also goes for other identifying information too - employer information etc. You don't need too many pieces of data to figure out who someone really is these days. Depending on severity you might get anything from a scolding to a suspension - so don't do it. I know it can be confusing sometimes for newcomers, as SA has been around almost twenty years and there are some people that throw their real names around and their current Display Name may not match the name they have out in the public. But if in doubt, you don't want to accidentally out some one so use caution, even if it's a personal friend of yours in real life. 3) Posting While Suspended - If you've earned a timeout (these are fairly rare and hard to get), please observe the suspension. If you create a new account (a "Sock Puppet") and return to the forums to post with it before your suspension is up you WILL get more time added to your original suspension and lose your Socks. This behavior may result a permanent ban, since it shows you have zero respect for the few rules we have and the moderating team that is tasked with supporting them. Check the Terms of Service you agreed to; they apply to the individual agreeing, not the account you created, so don't try to Sea Lawyer us if you get caught. Just don't do it. Those are the three that will almost certainly get you into some trouble. IF YOU SEE SOMEONE DO ONE OF THESE THINGS, please do the following: Refrain from quoting the offending text, it makes the thread cleanup a pain in the rear Press the Report button; it is by far the best way to notify Admins as we will get e-mails. Calling out for Admins in the middle of threads, sending us PM's, etc. - there is no guarantee we will get those in a timely fashion. There are multiple Moderators in multiple time zones around the world, and anyone one of us can handle the Report and all of us will be notified about it. But if you PM one Mod directly and he's off line, the problem will get dealt with much more slowly. Other behaviors that you might want to think twice before doing include: Intentionally disrupting threads and discussions repeatedly. Off topic/content free trolling in threads to disrupt dialog Stalking users around the forums with the intent to disrupt content and discussion Repeated posting of overly graphic or scatological porn content. There are plenty web sites for you to get your freak on, don't do it here. And a brief note to Newbies... No, we will not ban people or censor them for dropping F-bombs on you, using foul language, etc. so please don't report it when one of our members gives you a greeting you may find shocking. We do our best not to censor content here and playing swearword police is not in our job descriptions. Sailing Anarchy is more like a bar than a classroom, so handle it like you would meeting someone a little coarse - don't look for the teacher. Thanks.
    • B.J. Porter

      Moderation Team Change   06/16/2017

      After fifteen years of volunteer moderation at SA, I will no longer be part of the moderation team. The decision to step aside is mine, and has been some time in the works but we did not wish to announce it in advance for a number of reasons. It's been fun, but I need my time back for other purposes now. The Underdawg admin account will not be monitored until further notice, as I will be relinquishing control of it along with my administrative privileges. Zapata will continue on as a moderator, and any concerns or issues can be directed to that account or to the Editor until further notice. Anyone interested in helping moderate the forums should reach out to Scot by sending a PM to the Editor account. Please note that I am not leaving the community, I am merely stepping aside from Admin responsibilities and privileges on the site.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LB 15

3 cheers for BJ!

79 posts in this topic

On behalf of the SA community may we say thank you for your tireless efforts to keep this place on the straight and narrow bent and wide over the years. As someone who contributed to many of the aisle spills you have had to clean up over the years I know first hand how thank-less this must have been. Glad to hear you are not leaving and the Ed should grant you a lifetime immunity from warning points. Don't get mad - get even.

I would like to take this opportunity to throw my hat in the ring as a moderator. I think my common sense,wisdom and centrist politics make me an ideal candidate. I will be fair to all (except Bent sailor and Randumb) and will introduce the 'dunces hat' to be awarded to the biggest Deuchebag each day and displayed on each of their posts. We might need look at the rules so Dabs doesn't win it every day. I will also remove the ignore function (it is for pussies with no self control) and will add a "I think you are a fuckwit" tab. This to would be shown under the number of posts .

For Example..

Bent Sailor

Pedant

247 000 posts.

1726 posters think you are a fuck wit.

 

Anyway Ed, i can start imminently so let me know how much you are paying.

Thanks BJ, we do appreciate it. .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you left your sense of humour off the list of attributes !!

Maybe you could (as part of your job application) seek out Lord Dubin and get him back on the board.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks man.  I don't know how you did it as long as you did, but it is much appreciated.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No. Just no. We're not mature enough to pursue anarchy all on our own yet. 

Thanks, though, for all the time and effort you put in to this place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks BJ for doing a thankless job for so long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks BJ.  Appreciate you being the occasional "Designated Adult".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks bj. Having a mod who takes an active role in our discussions gives us commoners a chance to see the mods as human. It's appreciated.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thanks BJ - particularly for the clean up Q&A you conducted on the new forums, you eased the transition for many. Now get your batteries sorted ! (cuz I am learning from your issue !)

Enjoy the cruising.

ML

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I second Ladyboy15 as the next mod. 

 

What could possibly go wrong?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, slap said:

I second Ladyboy15 as the next mod. 

 

What could possibly go wrong?

I'm not sure I'm ready for a moderator with 38 active socks. Other than that, I think it's a splendid choice, at least as good a pick as Trump for President.

 

And thanks to BJ for putting up with all the bullshit. What are you going to do with all that free time?

Edited by Ishmael
Practising my glottal stops.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wfd BJ !

 

I dunno LB.

Anybody who would actually want this job is probably not mentally stable enough to have it. Sort of like the POTUS gig.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

I'm not sure I'm ready for a moderator with 38 active socks. Other than that, I think it's a splendid choice, at least as good a pick as Trump for President.

 

And thanks to BJ for putting up with all the bullshit. What are you going to do with all that free time?

He could use 90 of those new free hours to pull a Brentboat together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Point Break said:

:lol: Kiss ups.................

Doesn't do them any good any more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, slap said:
1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

I'm not sure I'm ready for a moderator with 38 active socks. Other than that, I think it's a splendid choice, at least as good a pick as Trump for President.

 

And thanks to BJ for putting up with all the bullshit. What are you going to do with all that free time?

He could use 90 of those new free hours to pull a Brentboat together.

With 180 maybe I could build a Brentamaran. That'd be like 4 or 5 hours of maintenance a year though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, slap said:

I second Ladyboy15 as the next mod. 

 

What could possibly go wrong?

You might want to revisit that 'ladyboy' quip. Things are going to be different around here as soon as I get my thumb on the button. Still haven't heard from the Ed. Must be still working on my package. What kind of car did you get BJ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually I thought BJ did a fine job.......why I'll never guess but it's worth a thanks.

Now, are nominations open?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

You might want to revisit that 'ladyboy' quip. Things are going to be different around here as soon as I get my thumb on the button. Still haven't heard from the Ed. Must be still working on my package. What kind of car did you get BJ?

'Ladyboy' and 'your package' all in the same post. Freudian?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wait, this forum is moderated? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, bhyde said:

Wait, this forum is moderated? 

Not any more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just ask yourselves when applying for the job opening....

What would Shife do?

______________________________________

Job well done BJ, now go and have fun in the Sanatorium.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can we start calling each other Pedos again? Life was so much simpler in the old days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

btw...what's involved with being a moderator?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hobot said:

btw...what's involved with being a moderator?

Before the upgrade, about 95% of it was dealing with spammers. That's cut down a lot, though not to zero.

Various tasks include...

  • Cleaning up the spammers that get through
  • Cleaning up after shitfights when people start calling out real names and throwing pedo flags. Extra fun when they all start quoting one another in the offending posts (though now somewhat mitigated by the lack of auto quote nesting!).
  • Dealing with reports. Some require judgement, some are pretty much no brainers. Every now and then you get something really, really ugly you wish you didn't want to deal with and wish you didn't know. Most are irritating and minor from people that don't get the culture here and get easily offended.
  • Dealing with some software updates on the board
  • Dealing with trolls and repeat offenders. This is one of those things that doesn't happen often, but when it does it's a major pain in the ass. It frequently involves running down real world information, cross referencing evidence like IP address, etc. and arguing with the nitwits when they've been banned and they keep e-mailing and PM'ing you.
  • Sticking your head in a lot of threads, especially the ones that tend to get more contentious or abusive, just to keep an eye on things before they completely deteriorate.
  • Dealing with user requests - lost passwords, forget my login name, delete this duplicate post, oops...I didn't mean to post THAT please delete it, answering questions about how to do XYZ, etc. etc.
  • Approving manual account validations. The new board rates new accounts from 1 to 4 in terms of likelihood to be a spammer. 1 is clean and gets auto approved, 3 & 4 get rejected...and 2 ends up in an approval queue. So you need to look into the account; look up the ip and email in known spammer databases, etc. to see if it is legit or dodgy. Most...are dodgy.

Some other irregular tasks included things like finding tools and plugins to help the site management, figuring out the new features of the software and how to implement them, etc. That's more sporadic and as needed.

On figure on average it was an hour or so a day. Some days a lot more (major spam outbreaks, or abusive trolls coming back with socks, or the last major upgrade), some days little or nothing at all. I never got much involved with the server end of things, there are people at the company that hosts the site that Scot deals with when I started yelling too loudly that he needed to fix something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, LB 15 said:

On behalf of the SA community may we say thank you for your tireless efforts to keep this place on the straight and narrow bent and wide over the years. As someone who contributed to many of the aisle spills you have had to clean up over the years I know first hand how thank-less this must have been. Glad to hear you are not leaving and the Ed should grant you a lifetime immunity from warning points. Don't get mad - get even.

I would like to take this opportunity to throw my hat in the ring as a moderator. I think my common sense,wisdom and centrist politics make me an ideal candidate. I will be fair to all (except Bent sailor and Randumb) and will introduce the 'dunces hat' to be awarded to the biggest Deuchebag each day and displayed on each of their posts. We might need look at the rules so Dabs doesn't win it every day. I will also remove the ignore function (it is for pussies with no self control) and will add a "I think you are a fuckwit" tab. This to would be shown under the number of posts .

For Example..

Bent Sailor

Pedant

247 000 posts.

1726 posters think you are a fuck wit.

 

Anyway Ed, i can start imminently so let me know how much you are paying.

Thanks BJ, we do appreciate it. .

Serve you right if you get the job :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

Serve you right if you get the job :D

Well in the true spirt of anarchy I am appointing myself moderator. BJ just flick me the codes and I will get started.

Now has anyone seen Randumb...?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, My name is Legion said:

That won't change. He's not dead.

See now, this is the worst part. Yesterday, I'd know who this twat was in a heartbeat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Well in the true spirt of anarchy I am appointing myself moderator. BJ just flick me the codes and I will get started.

Now has anyone seen Randumb...?

I don't know. Having met in person with you, Random and Bentsailor, I think we'd need an "Ozzie Asshat Summit" with all of us around a table and lots of beer to figure this all out.

Frankly I think you'd all get on famously if you didn't know each other's SA handles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks BJ! You are now at a top place to not only build a folded steel bentomaran but not only find a buyer,but sell it for enough ( tax free via gumtree under a sock name & generic email address) to finance your next 5 years adventures!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey BJ, 15 years is an exceptional stint at any volunteer job.  That's dedication.  Without your input this place could have really got out of hand!  Ah, well, there was the time when ... ah forget it.

Enjoy the extra time to be creative.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for your good works BJ.  A voice of reason crying in the wilderness which will be impossible to replace.

 

Now go fuck off through the Torres Straight and let us know what's going on in Darwin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

See now, this is the worst part. Yesterday, I'd know who this twat was in a heartbeat.

I think even after they obtain the services of another moderator, you should keep your access and stick your nose in once in a while......."Moderator Emeritus".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

Thanks BJ, your rants and self restraint will be missed. :aikido:

 

6 hours ago, My name is Legion said:

That won't change. He's not dead.

BJ PB, please see the context. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

I don't know. Having met in person with you, Random and Bentsailor, I think we'd need an "Ozzie Asshat Summit" with all of us around a table and lots of beer to figure this all out.

Frankly I think you'd all get on famously if you didn't know each other's SA handles.

I'm trying to picture it...

Thanks for doing a thankless job.

 imagesqtbnANd9GcRhilE8n_Es2yRsn2W9K_zps9

LB for moderator!

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Silly me.... I thought this was a tribute to Linda Lovelace...

Cheers B.J.  keep up the good work...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the years of service BJ, I vote LB for mod, but he has to ride the scooter.

Mod_Mirrors_scooter_mod_revival.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chum said:

I'm trying to picture it...

Thanks for doing a thankless job.

 imagesqtbnANd9GcRhilE8n_Es2yRsn2W9K_zps9

LB for moderator!

 

 

 

Whack a Troll 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chum said:

I'm trying to picture it...

Thanks for doing a thankless job.

 imagesqtbnANd9GcRhilE8n_Es2yRsn2W9K_zps9

LB for moderator!

 

 

 

It's a tough job but many thanks, B.J. for helping to keep this place up & running.

-DSK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

See now, this is the worst part. Yesterday, I'd know who this twat was in a heartbeat.

Name history would help, too bad it's gone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very simply, Thanks, BJ.

Always very considered and even-keeled comments -- leading me to think BJ is possibly one of the fairest people that I know (but I don't mean like as in SnowWhite... )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, chinabald said:
6 hours ago, Chum said:

I'm trying to picture it...

Thanks for doing a thankless job.

 imagesqtbnANd9GcRhilE8n_Es2yRsn2W9K_zps9

LB for moderator!

 

 

 

Whack a Troll 

Been there. I think there is a T-shirt on the boat somewhere...though I admit to not wearing much, since walking around foreign countries with a giant "Anarchy" A on my back has seemed impolite.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ishmael said:
12 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

See now, this is the worst part. Yesterday, I'd know who this twat was in a heartbeat.

Name history would help, too bad it's gone.

It exists as a function - I found a plugin that enabled it and we could turn it on in literally about a minute.

The problem is that it exposed the REAL account names of a bunch of people that never showed before. A feature with the new board upgrade that converted people back to login, not Display names when the upgraded happened. A handful of people registered with login names matching their own, and Display names that differed.

We could turn it back on, but those that changed back to their display names after the upgrade would get their names exposed if someone checked their history.

To fix that would require a carefully constructed SQL query do delete the first name change record for everyone that changed their names in the first couple of weeks after the last upgrade. I didn't feel up to the task of doing that without enthusiastic backing...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

It exists as a function - I found a plugin that enabled it and we could turn it on in literally about a minute.

The problem is that it exposed the REAL account names of a bunch of people that never showed before. A feature with the new board upgrade that converted people back to login, not Display names when the upgraded happened. A handful of people registered with login names matching their own, and Display names that differed.

We could turn it back on, but those that changed back to their display names after the upgrade would get their names exposed if someone checked their history.

To fix that would require a carefully constructed SQL query do delete the first name change record for everyone that changed their names in the first couple of weeks after the last upgrade. I didn't feel up to the task of doing that without enthusiastic backing...

 

I'm sure I can figure it out since it's someone I already had on ignore. It sure would make the whack-a-troll easier, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

I don't know. Having met in person with you, Random and Bentsailor, I think we'd need an "Ozzie Asshat Summit" with all of us around a table and lots of beer bongs to figure this all out.

Frankly I think you'd all get on famously if you didn't know each other's SA handles.

Only way to get randumb there...

Sounds like a plan - I am in. Hey I got an idea -why don't we make it paint balling?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And whilst I am out of the drawer, let me add the thanks of the many socks that you 'let through to the keeper' BJ. On behalf of the Coalition of Unidentified Nautical Trolling Sockpuppets (or 'C.U.N.T.S' as we prefer to be called) we thank you for our continuing existence.

Bless you my child.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

I'm sure I can figure it out since it's someone I already had on ignore. It sure would make the whack-a-troll easier, though.

Administrators have access to it, so that's not really a problem. But yeah, it would also make life easier for everyone else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, G.O.D. said:

And whilst I am out of the drawer, let me add the thanks of the many socks that you 'let through to the keeper' BJ. On behalf of the Coalition of Unidentified Nautical Trolling Sockpuppets (or 'C.U.N.T.S' as we prefer to be called) we thank you for our continuing existence.

Bless you my child.

Gods based out of Australia? ('caus us seppos don't work with that word very well).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Disappointed I didn't get to meet you in NZ. One day maybe.

Now you can tell us what you really think!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, wal' said:

Disappointed I didn't get to meet you in NZ. One day maybe.

Now you can tell us what you really think!

 

We should, if things go as planned be back in NZ in Oct/Nov.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

See now, this is the worst part. Yesterday, I'd know who this twat was in a heartbeat.

It's beetle..yesterday for a short while the old name shows up on the New posters content search.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

Administrators have access to it, so that's not really a problem. But yeah, it would also make life easier for everyone else.

Figured it out. Beetle boy.

Edited by Ishmael
missed it by that much

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Figured it out. Beetle boy.

I thought it was Wanking Dud, initially, but he wasn't really nasty enough to be him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

I think we'd need an "Ozzie Asshat Summit"

So you are going to back in Moreton Bay?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, random said:

So you are going to back in Moreton Bay?

'You know the answer sure ain't there,

but I am drifting north to check things out again...'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, random said:

So you are going to back in Moreton Bay?

Presently I'm anchored off of Seaworld...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cool, not good outside right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

It's beetle..yesterday for a short while the old name shows up on the New posters content search.

You must be so fucking bored. I can send you some batteries.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

I thought it was Wanking Dud, initially, but he wasn't really nasty enough to be him.

That's what I don't get. I didn't say anything nasty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, My name is Legion said:

That's what I don't get. I didn't say anything nasty.

Which is why I ruled you out as Wanking Dud, though you can be pretty nasty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

Which is why I ruled you out as Wanking Dud, though you can be pretty nasty.

And I have seen you at your best as well. :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, My name is Legion said:

And I have seen you at your best as well. :rolleyes:

Hardly...you have no idea what gets deleted before the "Submit Reply" button is clicked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0