• Announcements

    • Zapata

      Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

      Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
LB 15

3 cheers for BJ!

Recommended Posts

On behalf of the SA community may we say thank you for your tireless efforts to keep this place on the straight and narrow bent and wide over the years. As someone who contributed to many of the aisle spills you have had to clean up over the years I know first hand how thank-less this must have been. Glad to hear you are not leaving and the Ed should grant you a lifetime immunity from warning points. Don't get mad - get even.

I would like to take this opportunity to throw my hat in the ring as a moderator. I think my common sense,wisdom and centrist politics make me an ideal candidate. I will be fair to all (except Bent sailor and Randumb) and will introduce the 'dunces hat' to be awarded to the biggest Deuchebag each day and displayed on each of their posts. We might need look at the rules so Dabs doesn't win it every day. I will also remove the ignore function (it is for pussies with no self control) and will add a "I think you are a fuckwit" tab. This to would be shown under the number of posts .

For Example..

Bent Sailor

Pedant

247 000 posts.

1726 posters think you are a fuck wit.

 

Anyway Ed, i can start imminently so let me know how much you are paying.

Thanks BJ, we do appreciate it. .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you left your sense of humour off the list of attributes !!

Maybe you could (as part of your job application) seek out Lord Dubin and get him back on the board.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No. Just no. We're not mature enough to pursue anarchy all on our own yet. 

Thanks, though, for all the time and effort you put in to this place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thanks BJ - particularly for the clean up Q&A you conducted on the new forums, you eased the transition for many. Now get your batteries sorted ! (cuz I am learning from your issue !)

Enjoy the cruising.

ML

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I second Ladyboy15 as the next mod. 

 

What could possibly go wrong?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, slap said:

I second Ladyboy15 as the next mod. 

 

What could possibly go wrong?

I'm not sure I'm ready for a moderator with 38 active socks. Other than that, I think it's a splendid choice, at least as good a pick as Trump for President.

 

And thanks to BJ for putting up with all the bullshit. What are you going to do with all that free time?

Edited by Ishmael
Practising my glottal stops.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wfd BJ !

 

I dunno LB.

Anybody who would actually want this job is probably not mentally stable enough to have it. Sort of like the POTUS gig.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

I'm not sure I'm ready for a moderator with 38 active socks. Other than that, I think it's a splendid choice, at least as good a pick as Trump for President.

 

And thanks to BJ for putting up with all the bullshit. What are you going to do with all that free time?

He could use 90 of those new free hours to pull a Brentboat together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Point Break said:

:lol: Kiss ups.................

Doesn't do them any good any more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, slap said:
1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

I'm not sure I'm ready for a moderator with 38 active socks. Other than that, I think it's a splendid choice, at least as good a pick as Trump for President.

 

And thanks to BJ for putting up with all the bullshit. What are you going to do with all that free time?

He could use 90 of those new free hours to pull a Brentboat together.

With 180 maybe I could build a Brentamaran. That'd be like 4 or 5 hours of maintenance a year though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, slap said:

I second Ladyboy15 as the next mod. 

 

What could possibly go wrong?

You might want to revisit that 'ladyboy' quip. Things are going to be different around here as soon as I get my thumb on the button. Still haven't heard from the Ed. Must be still working on my package. What kind of car did you get BJ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually I thought BJ did a fine job.......why I'll never guess but it's worth a thanks.

Now, are nominations open?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

You might want to revisit that 'ladyboy' quip. Things are going to be different around here as soon as I get my thumb on the button. Still haven't heard from the Ed. Must be still working on my package. What kind of car did you get BJ?

'Ladyboy' and 'your package' all in the same post. Freudian?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just ask yourselves when applying for the job opening....

What would Shife do?

______________________________________

Job well done BJ, now go and have fun in the Sanatorium.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can we start calling each other Pedos again? Life was so much simpler in the old days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hobot said:

btw...what's involved with being a moderator?

Before the upgrade, about 95% of it was dealing with spammers. That's cut down a lot, though not to zero.

Various tasks include...

  • Cleaning up the spammers that get through
  • Cleaning up after shitfights when people start calling out real names and throwing pedo flags. Extra fun when they all start quoting one another in the offending posts (though now somewhat mitigated by the lack of auto quote nesting!).
  • Dealing with reports. Some require judgement, some are pretty much no brainers. Every now and then you get something really, really ugly you wish you didn't want to deal with and wish you didn't know. Most are irritating and minor from people that don't get the culture here and get easily offended.
  • Dealing with some software updates on the board
  • Dealing with trolls and repeat offenders. This is one of those things that doesn't happen often, but when it does it's a major pain in the ass. It frequently involves running down real world information, cross referencing evidence like IP address, etc. and arguing with the nitwits when they've been banned and they keep e-mailing and PM'ing you.
  • Sticking your head in a lot of threads, especially the ones that tend to get more contentious or abusive, just to keep an eye on things before they completely deteriorate.
  • Dealing with user requests - lost passwords, forget my login name, delete this duplicate post, oops...I didn't mean to post THAT please delete it, answering questions about how to do XYZ, etc. etc.
  • Approving manual account validations. The new board rates new accounts from 1 to 4 in terms of likelihood to be a spammer. 1 is clean and gets auto approved, 3 & 4 get rejected...and 2 ends up in an approval queue. So you need to look into the account; look up the ip and email in known spammer databases, etc. to see if it is legit or dodgy. Most...are dodgy.

Some other irregular tasks included things like finding tools and plugins to help the site management, figuring out the new features of the software and how to implement them, etc. That's more sporadic and as needed.

On figure on average it was an hour or so a day. Some days a lot more (major spam outbreaks, or abusive trolls coming back with socks, or the last major upgrade), some days little or nothing at all. I never got much involved with the server end of things, there are people at the company that hosts the site that Scot deals with when I started yelling too loudly that he needed to fix something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, LB 15 said:

On behalf of the SA community may we say thank you for your tireless efforts to keep this place on the straight and narrow bent and wide over the years. As someone who contributed to many of the aisle spills you have had to clean up over the years I know first hand how thank-less this must have been. Glad to hear you are not leaving and the Ed should grant you a lifetime immunity from warning points. Don't get mad - get even.

I would like to take this opportunity to throw my hat in the ring as a moderator. I think my common sense,wisdom and centrist politics make me an ideal candidate. I will be fair to all (except Bent sailor and Randumb) and will introduce the 'dunces hat' to be awarded to the biggest Deuchebag each day and displayed on each of their posts. We might need look at the rules so Dabs doesn't win it every day. I will also remove the ignore function (it is for pussies with no self control) and will add a "I think you are a fuckwit" tab. This to would be shown under the number of posts .

For Example..

Bent Sailor

Pedant

247 000 posts.

1726 posters think you are a fuck wit.

 

Anyway Ed, i can start imminently so let me know how much you are paying.

Thanks BJ, we do appreciate it. .

Serve you right if you get the job :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

Serve you right if you get the job :D

Well in the true spirt of anarchy I am appointing myself moderator. BJ just flick me the codes and I will get started.

Now has anyone seen Randumb...?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, My name is Legion said:

That won't change. He's not dead.

See now, this is the worst part. Yesterday, I'd know who this twat was in a heartbeat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Well in the true spirt of anarchy I am appointing myself moderator. BJ just flick me the codes and I will get started.

Now has anyone seen Randumb...?

I don't know. Having met in person with you, Random and Bentsailor, I think we'd need an "Ozzie Asshat Summit" with all of us around a table and lots of beer to figure this all out.

Frankly I think you'd all get on famously if you didn't know each other's SA handles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey BJ, 15 years is an exceptional stint at any volunteer job.  That's dedication.  Without your input this place could have really got out of hand!  Ah, well, there was the time when ... ah forget it.

Enjoy the extra time to be creative.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for your good works BJ.  A voice of reason crying in the wilderness which will be impossible to replace.

 

Now go fuck off through the Torres Straight and let us know what's going on in Darwin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

See now, this is the worst part. Yesterday, I'd know who this twat was in a heartbeat.

I think even after they obtain the services of another moderator, you should keep your access and stick your nose in once in a while......."Moderator Emeritus".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

Thanks BJ, your rants and self restraint will be missed. :aikido:

 

6 hours ago, My name is Legion said:

That won't change. He's not dead.

BJ PB, please see the context. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Silly me.... I thought this was a tribute to Linda Lovelace...

Cheers B.J.  keep up the good work...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the years of service BJ, I vote LB for mod, but he has to ride the scooter.

Mod_Mirrors_scooter_mod_revival.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chum said:

I'm trying to picture it...

Thanks for doing a thankless job.

 imagesqtbnANd9GcRhilE8n_Es2yRsn2W9K_zps9

LB for moderator!

 

 

 

It's a tough job but many thanks, B.J. for helping to keep this place up & running.

-DSK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

See now, this is the worst part. Yesterday, I'd know who this twat was in a heartbeat.

Name history would help, too bad it's gone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very simply, Thanks, BJ.

Always very considered and even-keeled comments -- leading me to think BJ is possibly one of the fairest people that I know (but I don't mean like as in SnowWhite... )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, chinabald said:
6 hours ago, Chum said:

I'm trying to picture it...

Thanks for doing a thankless job.

 imagesqtbnANd9GcRhilE8n_Es2yRsn2W9K_zps9

LB for moderator!

 

 

 

Whack a Troll 

Been there. I think there is a T-shirt on the boat somewhere...though I admit to not wearing much, since walking around foreign countries with a giant "Anarchy" A on my back has seemed impolite.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ishmael said:
12 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

See now, this is the worst part. Yesterday, I'd know who this twat was in a heartbeat.

Name history would help, too bad it's gone.

It exists as a function - I found a plugin that enabled it and we could turn it on in literally about a minute.

The problem is that it exposed the REAL account names of a bunch of people that never showed before. A feature with the new board upgrade that converted people back to login, not Display names when the upgraded happened. A handful of people registered with login names matching their own, and Display names that differed.

We could turn it back on, but those that changed back to their display names after the upgrade would get their names exposed if someone checked their history.

To fix that would require a carefully constructed SQL query do delete the first name change record for everyone that changed their names in the first couple of weeks after the last upgrade. I didn't feel up to the task of doing that without enthusiastic backing...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

It exists as a function - I found a plugin that enabled it and we could turn it on in literally about a minute.

The problem is that it exposed the REAL account names of a bunch of people that never showed before. A feature with the new board upgrade that converted people back to login, not Display names when the upgraded happened. A handful of people registered with login names matching their own, and Display names that differed.

We could turn it back on, but those that changed back to their display names after the upgrade would get their names exposed if someone checked their history.

To fix that would require a carefully constructed SQL query do delete the first name change record for everyone that changed their names in the first couple of weeks after the last upgrade. I didn't feel up to the task of doing that without enthusiastic backing...

 

I'm sure I can figure it out since it's someone I already had on ignore. It sure would make the whack-a-troll easier, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

I don't know. Having met in person with you, Random and Bentsailor, I think we'd need an "Ozzie Asshat Summit" with all of us around a table and lots of beer bongs to figure this all out.

Frankly I think you'd all get on famously if you didn't know each other's SA handles.

Only way to get randumb there...

Sounds like a plan - I am in. Hey I got an idea -why don't we make it paint balling?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And whilst I am out of the drawer, let me add the thanks of the many socks that you 'let through to the keeper' BJ. On behalf of the Coalition of Unidentified Nautical Trolling Sockpuppets (or 'C.U.N.T.S' as we prefer to be called) we thank you for our continuing existence.

Bless you my child.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

I'm sure I can figure it out since it's someone I already had on ignore. It sure would make the whack-a-troll easier, though.

Administrators have access to it, so that's not really a problem. But yeah, it would also make life easier for everyone else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, G.O.D. said:

And whilst I am out of the drawer, let me add the thanks of the many socks that you 'let through to the keeper' BJ. On behalf of the Coalition of Unidentified Nautical Trolling Sockpuppets (or 'C.U.N.T.S' as we prefer to be called) we thank you for our continuing existence.

Bless you my child.

Gods based out of Australia? ('caus us seppos don't work with that word very well).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Disappointed I didn't get to meet you in NZ. One day maybe.

Now you can tell us what you really think!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, wal' said:

Disappointed I didn't get to meet you in NZ. One day maybe.

Now you can tell us what you really think!

 

We should, if things go as planned be back in NZ in Oct/Nov.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

See now, this is the worst part. Yesterday, I'd know who this twat was in a heartbeat.

It's beetle..yesterday for a short while the old name shows up on the New posters content search.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

Administrators have access to it, so that's not really a problem. But yeah, it would also make life easier for everyone else.

Figured it out. Beetle boy.

Edited by Ishmael
missed it by that much

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Figured it out. Beetle boy.

I thought it was Wanking Dud, initially, but he wasn't really nasty enough to be him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

I think we'd need an "Ozzie Asshat Summit"

So you are going to back in Moreton Bay?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, random said:

So you are going to back in Moreton Bay?

'You know the answer sure ain't there,

but I am drifting north to check things out again...'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, random said:

So you are going to back in Moreton Bay?

Presently I'm anchored off of Seaworld...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

It's beetle..yesterday for a short while the old name shows up on the New posters content search.

You must be so fucking bored. I can send you some batteries.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

I thought it was Wanking Dud, initially, but he wasn't really nasty enough to be him.

That's what I don't get. I didn't say anything nasty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, My name is Legion said:

That's what I don't get. I didn't say anything nasty.

Which is why I ruled you out as Wanking Dud, though you can be pretty nasty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, My name is Legion said:

And I have seen you at your best as well. :rolleyes:

Hardly...you have no idea what gets deleted before the "Submit Reply" button is clicked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017-6-19 at 7:31 AM, B.J. Porter said:

It exists as a function - I found a plugin that enabled it and we could turn it on in literally about a minute.

The problem is that it exposed the REAL account names of a bunch of people that never showed before. A feature with the new board upgrade that converted people back to login, not Display names when the upgraded happened. A handful of people registered with login names matching their own, and Display names that differed.

We could turn it back on, but those that changed back to their display names after the upgrade would get their names exposed if someone checked their history.

To fix that would require a carefully constructed SQL query do delete the first name change record for everyone that changed their names in the first couple of weeks after the last upgrade. I didn't feel up to the task of doing that without enthusiastic backing...

 

This shouldn't be too hard assuming  there is a date or  unique id to chase. It's not run all the time or by a large number of people at once so would select count(user-id) row number order by date then use that number, minus 1 to selext the top "x-1" rows ordered by date desc via dynamic sql. Use a cursor if you need to select name history for multiple users..

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bowman81 said:

This shouldn't be too hard assuming  there is a date or  unique id to chase. It's not run all the time or by a large number of people at once so would select count(user-id) row number order by date then use that number, minus 1 to selext the top "x-1" rows ordered by date desc via dynamic sql. Use a cursor if you need to select name history for multiple users..

 

The SQL is trivial and could be written in minutes if I had a copy of the data diagram to refer to.

Taking responsibility for running a DELETE query against a live database is a completely different kettle of fish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, B.J. Porter said:

The SQL is trivial and could be written in minutes if I had a copy of the data diagram to refer to.

Taking responsibility for running a DELETE query against a live database is a completely different kettle of fish.

Shouldn't require a delete, original records always exist, the dynamic sql is written to only grab everything except the first record by date or primary key id. Pm me, or. Now it's not your responsibility, someone else can  pm me if they want some help here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bowman81 said:

Shouldn't require a delete, original records always exist, the dynamic sql is written to only grab everything except the first record by date or primary key id. Pm me, or. Now it's not your responsibility, someone else can  pm me if they want some help here. 

So you are suggesting modifying the app source code to develop the function?

The issue is NOT writing the code to add the name history - that exists and works fine. In fact, it seems to have been re-added into the software in a recent patch.

The issue is disposing of the history for the handful of people that shouldn't have it shown when the forum upgrade took place.

When you have no name changes, you have no history records. When you change your name, a record is added. A small group of people had to changer their names when the upgrade happened because the board reverted everyone to their original login names instead of Display Names. Some people used personally identifiable login names, but never used them as Display Names.

So the history for that small handful of people has a record that we don't ever want to show. If you delete the first name change history record for everyone that made their first Display Name change ever in the two weeks following the upgrade, that history we don't want to show won't be there.

Take a close look at the profile page.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

So you are suggesting modifying the app source code to develop the function?

The issue is NOT writing the code to add the name history - that exists and works fine. In fact, it seems to have been re-added into the software in a recent patch.

The issue is disposing of the history for the handful of people that shouldn't have it shown when the forum upgrade took place.

When you have no name changes, you have no history records. When you change your name, a record is added. A small group of people had to changer their names when the upgrade happened because the board reverted everyone to their original login names instead of Display Names. Some people used personally identifiable login names, but never used them as Display Names.

So the history for that small handful of people has a record that we don't ever want to show. If you delete the first name change history record for everyone that made their first Display Name change ever in the two weeks following the upgrade, that history we don't want to show won't be there.

Take a close look at the profile page.

Yea ok. understand the concern here, to not change  the app then yea, you could  delete the primary name record but I'd think you'd want to keep that. The more robust way would  be to modify the app so it only looks at all records except the first one unless there is only one record.  I've just finished writing sql to do  this for an internal report, the sql. Is trivial but not sure how to integrate to the app. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

So you are suggesting modifying the app source code to develop the function?

The issue is NOT writing the code to add the name history - that exists and works fine. In fact, it seems to have been re-added into the software in a recent patch.

The issue is disposing of the history for the handful of people that shouldn't have it shown when the forum upgrade took place.

When you have no name changes, you have no history records. When you change your name, a record is added. A small group of people had to changer their names when the upgrade happened because the board reverted everyone to their original login names instead of Display Names. Some people used personally identifiable login names, but never used them as Display Names.

So the history for that small handful of people has a record that we don't ever want to show. If you delete the first name change history record for everyone that made their first Display Name change ever in the two weeks following the upgrade, that history we don't want to show won't be there.

Take a close look at the profile page.

Did the old forum software not show original names in name history?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolutely!

All these years, BJ has been a living example of Adam Smith's Invisible Hand. A wise, benevolent but firm influence; unseen and unfelt by the vast majority.  

Thank you. Fair winds and following seas, my friend. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Did the old forum software not show original names in name history?

The prior version of the board had a "Login Name" and a "Display Name". You could create them differently when you joined the board. Some used a personally identifiable Login Name, and picked an anonymous Display Name - though most people kept the two identical. But there was never a name change made. I believe if you never picked a Display Name, it just showed Login Name by default.

The upgraded board did away with the concept of "Display Names" and went to a single name.

Somewhere in the upgrade process (which I did not execute and wasn't involved in) a question is asked "Would you like to keep and use Display Names or Login Names for all users?"  The person doing the upgrade picked "Login Names", so ALL users were converted to login names. For many users this wasn't an issue. But anyone who had ever changed their Display Name (or picked one when they signed up) had their names reverted back to their original Login Name. So if they wanted their old Display Name back, they had to change it again. And a very, very small percentage used a Login Name which could identify them personally (e.g. an e-mail), but a Display Name to mask that. THOSE people had that information exposed, and the Name History function would show the change from the original Login Name to their present name they they had to make to not post with that "real" name.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Think you could come out of retirement for an hour or two?  I'll get you a bottle of really good Cuban rum in return....

I still think my "Moderator Emeritus" idea is the way to go.................

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks B.J. It was refreshing to see you say things straight up. I hope we have a seamless transition to a new moderator.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites