• Announcements

    • UnderDawg

      A Few Simple Rules   05/22/2017

      Sailing Anarchy is a very lightly moderated site. This is by design, to afford a more free atmosphere for discussion. There are plenty of sailing forums you can go to where swearing isn't allowed, confrontation is squelched and, and you can have a moderator finger-wag at you for your attitude. SA tries to avoid that and allow for more adult behavior without moderators editing your posts and whacking knuckles with rulers. We don't have a long list of published "thou shalt nots" either, and this is by design. Too many absolute rules paints us into too many corners. So check the Terms of Service - there IS language there about certain types of behavior that is not permitted. We interpret that lightly and permit a lot of latitude, but we DO reserve the right to take action when something is too extreme to tolerate (too racist, graphic, violent, misogynistic, etc.). Yes, that is subjective, but it allows us discretion. Avoiding a laundry list of rules allows for freedom; don't abuse it. However there ARE a few basic rules that will earn you a suspension, and apparently a brief refresher is in order. 1) Allegations of pedophilia - there is no tolerance for this. So if you make allegations, jokes, innuendo or suggestions about child molestation, child pornography, abuse or inappropriate behavior with minors etc. about someone on this board you will get a time out. This is pretty much automatic; this behavior can have real world effect and is not acceptable. Obviously the subject is not banned when discussion of it is apropos, e.g. talking about an item in the news for instance. But allegations or references directed at or about another poster is verboten. 2) Outing people - providing real world identifiable information about users on the forums who prefer to remain anonymous. Yes, some of us post with our real names - not a problem to use them. However many do NOT, and if you find out someone's name keep it to yourself, first or last. This also goes for other identifying information too - employer information etc. You don't need too many pieces of data to figure out who someone really is these days. Depending on severity you might get anything from a scolding to a suspension - so don't do it. I know it can be confusing sometimes for newcomers, as SA has been around almost twenty years and there are some people that throw their real names around and their current Display Name may not match the name they have out in the public. But if in doubt, you don't want to accidentally out some one so use caution, even if it's a personal friend of yours in real life. 3) Posting While Suspended - If you've earned a timeout (these are fairly rare and hard to get), please observe the suspension. If you create a new account (a "Sock Puppet") and return to the forums to post with it before your suspension is up you WILL get more time added to your original suspension and lose your Socks. This behavior may result a permanent ban, since it shows you have zero respect for the few rules we have and the moderating team that is tasked with supporting them. Check the Terms of Service you agreed to; they apply to the individual agreeing, not the account you created, so don't try to Sea Lawyer us if you get caught. Just don't do it. Those are the three that will almost certainly get you into some trouble. IF YOU SEE SOMEONE DO ONE OF THESE THINGS, please do the following: Refrain from quoting the offending text, it makes the thread cleanup a pain in the rear Press the Report button; it is by far the best way to notify Admins as we will get e-mails. Calling out for Admins in the middle of threads, sending us PM's, etc. - there is no guarantee we will get those in a timely fashion. There are multiple Moderators in multiple time zones around the world, and anyone one of us can handle the Report and all of us will be notified about it. But if you PM one Mod directly and he's off line, the problem will get dealt with much more slowly. Other behaviors that you might want to think twice before doing include: Intentionally disrupting threads and discussions repeatedly. Off topic/content free trolling in threads to disrupt dialog Stalking users around the forums with the intent to disrupt content and discussion Repeated posting of overly graphic or scatological porn content. There are plenty web sites for you to get your freak on, don't do it here. And a brief note to Newbies... No, we will not ban people or censor them for dropping F-bombs on you, using foul language, etc. so please don't report it when one of our members gives you a greeting you may find shocking. We do our best not to censor content here and playing swearword police is not in our job descriptions. Sailing Anarchy is more like a bar than a classroom, so handle it like you would meeting someone a little coarse - don't look for the teacher. Thanks.
Blue Crab

Sock Puppets

25 posts in this topic

I've noticed a bunch of name changes over time. Most are easy to figure ... but not all. Under the old format, one could see the previous iterations of a sock. My brief investigation suggests that element has been discontinued. So, in wondering who "Moderate" used to be, he sez in his profile he used to be Ian Dublin. I don't believe it.

Anyone know of a reliable way to keep track of who's who?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This thread maybe? There are a few posters whom I enjoy and follow, then they change their sock and I've no idea whom to look for their posts anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think if Moderate were Lorn Nubbins we would know in two posts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not all socks are used for evil my child...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chum said:

I think if Moderate were Lorn Nubbins we would know in two posts.

Moderate has a man crush on Lord Dubin. I'm pretty sure Ian would let me know if he came back. I can categorically state that Moderate has about 15% of the Dubin's smarts and none of the class.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the whole sock thing is pretty silly but it really doesn't matter.......the worst that happened is you may have to put another sock on ignore. I think I have going on 3 pages of ignore and I bet its 4 people................

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Point break my child that is harsh! Sock puppets are people too you know. They have feelings like other people. Their feelings are a little more easerly hurt than most, obviously.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, G.O.D. said:

Point break my child that is harsh! Sock puppets are people too you know. They have feelings like other people. Their feelings are a little more easerly hurt than most, obviously.

Hey G.O.D., must be tough knowing that you don't exist.

I think I have you figured out: Gobbler Of Dick, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Point Break said:

I think the whole sock thing is pretty silly but it really doesn't matter.......the worst that happened is you may have to put another sock on ignore. I think I have going on 3 pages of ignore and I bet its 4 people................

The only time I ever found them problematic is when banned users keep coming back with them. We have a couple of those active right now. The burden on those is proving they are the same person you banned.

Not my circus now though; not my monkeys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

The only time I ever found them problematic is when banned users keep coming back with them. We have a couple of those active right now. The burden on those is proving they are the same person you banned.

Not my circus now though; not my monkeys.

Just curious.....how many sock dummies - not folks who sorta do it for humor but the real repeat assholes - do you suppose we have? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Just curious.....how many sock dummies - not folks who sorta do it for humor but the real repeat assholes - do you suppose we have? 

Active right now? Two that I know of that were banned under multiple previous names and have returned with socks.

Maybe a third, depending on how you count (actually banned from SA vs. "just a giant asshole that would be banned on any other forum"). And maybe a fourth that I have not identified, but I suspect may have come back but is behaving properly just on principles because he'd rather be in the forums than act like a douche and get flicked again.

Most notable off the top of my head...a dozen or so over the years. Maybe a few more...probably about one / year on average, really, though they aren't evenly spaced out and can take months to get rid of for good so there may be several active at a time.

Because we are far more lenient than any other sailing forum, we tend to pick up many of the floaters every time places like WBF, Sailnet, etc. flush their forums. Some of them are more problematic than others...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BJ have you made it to Port Stevens yet?

Please update your blog now you have more time !!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Just curious.....how many sock dummies - not folks who sorta do it for humor but the real repeat assholes - do you suppose we have? 

I've never had an objection to people creating socks for the purposes of humor. Guy Le Douche is a good example...freaking hysterical, keep it coming as far as I'm concerned.

It's when they are used to fling shit and grenades to disrupt the forums, or to get around a suspension or a banning that they become a problem.

And some are WAY more persistent than others. My favorite was the guy we finally got to knock it off when Scot called him on his cell phone and told him to knock it the fuck off (or was it Clean...I forget who made the call). Needless to say, I saw that guy on another forum freaking out over how we got his cell number and how he got called.

Anonymity isn't what most of these clowns think it is...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DtM said:

BJ have you made it to Port Stevens yet?

Please update your blog now you have more time !!!

Port Stephens is 300 miles behind me now. Currently we're in the Gold Coast Seaway, anchored off of Sea World.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

Active right now? Two that I know of that were banned under multiple previous names and have returned with socks.

Maybe a third, depending on how you count (actually banned from SA vs. "just a giant asshole that would be banned on any other forum"). And maybe a fourth that I have not identified, but I suspect may have come back but is behaving properly just on principles because he'd rather be in the forums than act like a douche and get flicked again.

Most notable off the top of my head...a dozen or so over the years. Maybe a few more...probably about one / year on average, really, though they aren't evenly spaced out and can take months to get rid of for good so there may be several active at a time.

Because we are far more lenient than any other sailing forum, we tend to pick up many of the floaters every time places like WBF, Sailnet, etc. flush their forums. Some of them are more problematic than others...

 

 

Oh dear.  (Likely quote).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sol Rosenberg said:

Oh dear.  (Likely quote).

That's one of the floaters...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After reading what you've been describing that just makes me wonder who the heck would want the job now?

 

It sounds like it's a bit of a beating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hobot said:

After reading what you've been describing that just makes me wonder who the heck would want the job now?

 

It sounds like it's a bit of a beating.

Perhaps I've been too honest...

Though really it's most fending off all the strippers with bags of blow that Scooter keeps sending you. Every now and then you have to push the "Flag as Spammer" button to earn your keep.

Mostly though, it's the babes. My wife made me stop because of all the panties that were getting flung at me every time I showed up in a sailing venue.

Scout's honor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You have read "Even Cowgirls ..."? :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, G.O.D. said:

Not all socks are used for evil my child...

Spoken like a true sock

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, G.O.D. said:

Point break my child that is harsh! Sock puppets are people too you know. They have feelings like other people. Their feelings are a little more easerly hurt than most, obviously.

Hey God.... why didn't I win the $435,000,000.00 lottery the other week... didn't you get my prayer about this.... especially the part about hookers and blow for the whole SA community.... sock puppets included...!!!!

WTF dude.... wazup wid dat shite!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, nacradriver said:

Hey God.... why didn't I win the $435,000,000.00 lottery the other week... didn't you get my prayer about this.... especially the part about hookers and blow for the whole SA community.... sock puppets included...!!!!

WTF dude.... wazup wid dat shite!

I've been told he works in mysterious ways. That may account for it.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps on the topic, perhaps not, WTF did Sailnet and Scuttleburger and Cruisers Net *all*  burn down?  Where the fuck are all these newbies coming from?  It's like the fifth plague. . .

 

. . .and damned few tits!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now