• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

sweet looking boat.  like how the mainsheet winches are placed.  the only thing not sitting well for me is the grinder in the rear.  kind of an air brake profile?  knowing Mortie, she will clean up!!!  congratulation on the new boat.

Was expecting a longer thread already...

To me that grinder in the back is likely in turbulence, so aero doesn't matter much. That is where you want the heavy guy who is grinding, so that's good. That tiller looks like it would let people step over it, which is good, but what if they try to step over it when it is being moved? Perhaps not a big deal. In my dreams I even get to see that boat in person...

Looks like a day boat Sweet Chance it will offshore

Trick tiller? No, that's just good design. I would love to drive even smaller boats with that...

40 minutes ago, peculier said:

Trick tiller? No, that's just good design. I would love to drive even smaller boats with that...

you could actually put the tiller under the deck and just have an arc shaped slot in the cockpit sole.  Much better for moving about in the cockpit.  In fact with a bit of cleverness you could just have a straight slot across the cockpit.

i remember some Dubious IOR boats with that setup.  actually looked real cool then.  but it allowed people you did not want around you, access to your space. especially the ones that sneak up on your rear end!!

On 6/19/2017 at 3:58 AM, ITA602 said:

Poor throttle lever :-)

That lever is removable, leaving a flush socket.

4 hours ago, DickDastardly said:

you could actually put the tiller under the deck and just have an arc shaped slot in the cockpit sole.  Much better for moving about in the cockpit.  In fact with a bit of cleverness you could just have a straight slot across the cockpit.

Didn't the dutch use something like that back in the early sailing ship days? a vertical lever that just moved across the boat instead of a wheel or tiller?

13 minutes ago, ColinG said:

Didn't the dutch use something like that back in the early sailing ship days? a vertical lever that just moved across the boat instead of a wheel or tiller?

Yep, called a whipstaff

and I always thought a whipstaff was much more interesting that that... no black leather and chains?

More Seriously, a modern version with a tiller attached could be quite a clean option for some of those boats with the forward tiller position

24 minutes ago, Rawhide said:

You'd need a airlock on that companionway to do the fastnet

and it should come equipped with the sound of the doors in the Enterprise on Star trek!!

5 hours ago, DickDastardly said:

Yep, called a whipstaff

Many small Marina launches have that, but mounted inside the side gunnel and moving fore and aft, instead of athwartship....

Interesting that the primaries are so far aft, might be tough to see the top spreader- jib leach 

Looks cool and would not turn down a chance to go for a sail

Pulled out of racing in 25-30kts yesterday due to pump failure and 2 tons of water in the boat, this thing is a fucking pond yacht, not an offshore racer.

Should not be allowed to race if that's indicative of its watertight integrity. Do they have to drown a crew to see where this is leading?

43 minutes ago, Last Post said:

Pulled out of racing in 25-30kts yesterday due to pump failure and 2 tons of water in the boat, this thing is a fucking pond yacht, not an offshore racer.

You couldn't work that out from looking at the pictures?

On 21/06/2017 at 6:42 AM, ColinG said:

More Seriously, a modern version with a tiller attached could be quite a clean option for some of those boats with the forward tiller position

IIRC, there was a ?Dubois? boat in the early days of IMS with a whipstaff. 

On 6/22/2017 at 1:25 AM, ctutmark said:

Interesting that the primaries are so far aft, might be tough to see the top spreader- jib leach 

Looks cool and would not turn down a chance to go for a sail

Are you looking at the primaries? They are only just behind the pit winch, so about 2-3ft behind the mast.....

Are you looking at the mainsheet winches?

nope - mainsheet winches are forward of the primaries (which are on the "pods", aft of main trim & helm positions)

certainly gets the weight aft... "them and us"?!

DDAB_q2XUAAYXdL.jpg:orig

On 6/24/2017 at 5:43 PM, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

Update: not a pump failure, all pumps in place and working but had not been plumbed in yet, work being done overnight to get it sorted.

Tell me how a boat can race and comply with safety requirements with non-operational (not yet plumbed = non-operational) bilge pumps? Great respect for Morty who has put together some amazing boats and campaigns over many years but this looks to be a serious infringement of the rules.

The video I saw only mentioned electric pumps, most likely with that amount of water downstairs they decided the manuals would take too long to empty it out.

On 26/06/2017 at 0:36 AM, Last Post said:

Tell me how a boat can race and comply with safety requirements with non-operational (not yet plumbed = non-operational) bilge pumps? Great respect for Morty who has put together some amazing boats and campaigns over many years but this looks to be a serious infringement of the rules.

The boat is fully rules compliant with manual pumps but we had an issue with the seal on the fore hatch which let a lot of water in the bow. It would have taken a long time to manually pump it out as the electric pumps were not connected. I took the decision to call it a day in the last race to gets all the little jobs done as this was our first ever sailing day in not perfect conditions. 

I am not planning on any more Fastnet Races, I'm sure the boat would be OK but not my back. I think you will find that all these boats and the TPs racing in the Med have a number of small electric pump as they do ship a lot of water in a breeze. Good fun though!

4 hours ago, Peter Morton1 said:

The boat is fully rules compliant with manual pumps but we had an issue with the seal on the fore hatch which let a lot of water in the bow. It would have taken a long time to manually pump it out as the electric pumps were not connected. I took the decision to call it a day in the last race to gets all the little jobs done as this was our first ever sailing day in not perfect conditions. 

I am not planning on any more Fastnet Races, I'm sure the boat would be OK but not my back. I think you will find that all these boats and the TPs racing in the Med have a number of small electric pump as they do ship a lot of water in a breeze. Good fun though!

Cheers Morty, hope you keep her a whole lot dryer in future.

On 2017-06-24 at 0:34 PM, foobar said:

nope - mainsheet winches are forward of the primaries (which are on the "pods", aft of main trim & helm positions)

certainly gets the weight aft... "them and us"?!

DDAB_q2XUAAYXdL.jpg:orig

Really interesting to see how visible the slewing is in the wake track right at the transom - the steering adjustments for the waves slide the stern so easily side to side on the water.  Same in any planing boat, I suppose, I just hadn't noticed it in the same way.