• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

I keep my boat in Manhasset Bay in Western Long Island sound.  For some reason the birds this year are far worse than ever before.  In fact, there is an Osprey flying around the bay that loves to perch itself on my lower port spreader.  Between the seagulls and this osprey the boat gets hit hard with bird shit and fish guts. I put up streamers running along the boom but that is not good enough.  Any suggestions on what has worked in terms of keeping birds away.  I'd hate to put up metal spikes on the spreader because I have an overlapping headsail....

thanks for the help....

How about some fishing line parallel to and an inch or two above the spreader?

What worked for me based reading that birds hate shiny things blowing in the wind...

Go to your local party supply store and buy one of these for $5:

https://m.partycity.com/products/giant+rainbow+spray+centerpiece?bypass_redirect=1

Make a halyard retriever line with this thing taped to the top of the line such that when the halyard is hauled to the top of the mast thins thing sticks up some above the top of the mast.  

Same theory as above, I took a pile of old CD's, drilled 1/8" holes about a 1/2" away from the CD center hole. Strung them together a couple of feet apart with 50 lb test monofilament fishing line, then ran the string of them up a flag halyard. Any breeze at all gets them moving, spinning and flashing reflected light every which way. Worked pretty well in the Caribbean. (Not my idea BTW, copied it from another boat)

If you don't race...bird spikes work wonders.

We couldn't use them for years when I raced as they would eat an spinnaker we blew into them. So I messed around stringing cans, bottles, CD's, etc. from halyards. Sorta worked, but I still got beshitted a couple of times a year. Cormorants are the worst, in a day or two that can befoul your boat with dead eels and cement-like shit that smells like rotting fish and stains fiberglass.

One of the very first things I did when I bought a cruising only boat was put bird spikes on the spreaders. Fuck those cormorants, but they will NOT sit on them with something poking in their asses.

You can *try* working out a temporary solution with spikes, but they're really hard to line up. We played with that idea for a while - spikes on a bar that you haul up the rig to spreader height. Didn't work out well, but we didn't persist.

We use the plastic ones that fan out in a single row like your fingers in a single plane, rather than the gnarly looking ones in V rows like you see on buildings. And plastic, so they have some give if a sail does catch them. Which is rare, especially now that we don't have a spinnaker.

I can't find them online to show a picture for you, but New England Yacht Rigging up in East Greenwich, RI installed them for us. They'd know what type to order.

Tried almost everything over the years: plastic snakes, CDs, string and tape lines, etc. We're on the outermost line of moored boats in our bay, seagulls love us.

The only thing that works 100% for me is netting. With a bit of practice I can install and remove it in a couple of minutes (it doesn't have to be pretty!).

A neighbouring boat has recently installed a recording of nesting birds on his boat, loops to play every few minutes. Interesting to see how well it works..... (Fortunately no liveaboards next to him - would drive you mad.)

For birds sitting on my spreaders I tied heavy duty fishing line an inch above the spreader. I had to get creative for the scumbag heron that liked the radome on the front of my mast. I didn't want to use spikes or anything rigid because I'm worried that the chute will brush over the radome and get poked. What I eventually came up with was a few heavy duty, exterior grade cable ties zip tied to the radome bracket, sticking up at various angles over the top of the radome.  I clipped the ends nice and sharp to poke his sorry ass and that was the end of that problem. This would probably work on the masthead too but I've never had much trouble there. 

One day I'm going to get hold of one of those guys, tie him down and shit on his head. Do I sound bitter? I spent countless hours washing that heron's shit off my decks and still have stains from it. So yes, yes I am bitter ;). 

I find a traditional burgee on a pigstick does a fine job of keeping the crows off my masthead.  Having neighbours with taller masts helps when the starlings come to call.

5 hours ago, afterguy said:

For birds sitting on my spreaders I tied heavy duty fishing line an inch above the spreader. I had to get creative for the scumbag heron that liked the radome on the front of my mast. I didn't want to use spikes or anything rigid because I'm worried that the chute will brush over the radome and get poked. What I eventually came up with was a few heavy duty, exterior grade cable ties zip tied to the radome bracket, sticking up at various angles over the top of the radome.  I clipped the ends nice and sharp to poke his sorry ass and that was the end of that problem. This would probably work on the masthead too but I've never had much trouble there. 

One day I'm going to get hold of one of those guys, tie him down and shit on his head. Do I sound bitter? I spent countless hours washing that heron's shit off my decks and still have stains from it. So yes, yes I am bitter ;). 

I used to think cormorants were kind of cool.

Then I bought a boat.

Then I started speculating on the evolutionary advantages were to have the ability to shit odious cement, while seeking clarification on the exact penalties involved in slaying a great many one of them.

They don't bug me so much now, since I left all the oily little fuckers on the other side of the globe. The local shags seem completely disinterested at the prospect of shitting on my deck.

I've used plastic fence mesh like this:

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-14713G/Traffic-Safety/Safety-Fence-4-x-100-Green?pricode=WA9751&gadtype=pla&id=S-14713G&gclid=CJL_gonu4NQCFdgJgQodaaUAyA&gclsrc=aw.ds

Make a triangle for each spreader, about 1ft wider than the rig width at the spreaders and 3-4ft high.   Zip tie pvc tube on bottom.   Line through center of fencing (top of triangle) to center of tube.   Loop above and loop or length of line below.  Hoist on main halyard until pvc is just at spreaders.   Tension downhaul line.   

Birds can't land or take off if you block their path.

Worked great on my boats.  Probably not if you have runners/checks.

--Kevin

A rigger working on my boat suggested to a dock neighbor sticking one of those things that holds a pizza box lid off the contents to the top of his anchor light. Points up of course. Probably not very UV resistant so requiring frequent pizzas.

On 19/06/2017 at 8:14 AM, py26129 said:

+1

Motessier in 'Sailing to the Reefs' describes using a catapult to kill cormorants,  He then eats them...

A book well worth reading; it is one of the few sailing books that's funny.  In the cormorant description, the talks about laying in a stock of steel nuts for the catapult, as brass ones are too expensive.  Dog biscuits are on the menu too. 

A little extreme, but why screw around.....?

M167-Vulcan.jpg

Had a heron take a liking to my masthead once so I borrowed my neighbor's pump BB gun and nailed him right in the ass. That got him off with a loud squawk. He didn't come back for several days so I returned the gun and then he came back. But I was ready for him. I'd made a dummy BB gun using a length of doweling, I went through all the motions of pumping up the thing, then hoisted it to my shoulder in a classic shooting pose and........nothing! The damned bird was smarter than I thought. Actually, I think he was more in danger of laughing so hard he fell off the masthead but he wasn't fooled, for sure. 

I was probably lucky I didn't get caught shooting at him and I realized I could have caused some damage to someone else's boat or rig, so I didn't repeat. But it was tempting every time I came down to the dock and found him there crapping all over my deck and mainsail cover. 

Best solution:, get a new slip with a neighbor with a taller rig. 

Higher powered laser pointer works pretty well at dusk, when they often like to roost.  Slingshot/wrist rocket with frozen peas as ammo can give you a sense of accomplishment.  Best defense I found though, was parking (upwind) of a boat with a taller mast.

On 20 June 2017 at 3:14 AM, py26129 said:

Problem with this is having to install a fitting on the mast to tie the line to. I thought about it and then didn't. But in the process I figured that the line should be slack (prevents little birds sitting on it) and about three inches from the spreader to stop it sagging onto the spreader if a heavy bird sits in it.

Where I am moored now we only have little birds visiting normally at deck level and I found thin plastic "buzzing" tape keeps them away.

Brent, can you please bend over so I can put a bullet up your arse

37 minutes ago, Brent Swain said:

When a crow shits on my decks , I  shoot a pellet up his ass.His friends come around to  protest, and I send a couple more up their asses ,then they steer clear of my boat for several  years afterwards.

A friend had to put s piece of plywood full of nails ,on his masthead, to stop the eagles from shitting on his deck,Said it sounded like a pail of rocks  being dropped on his deck.

Crows are extremely intelligent.  I doubt they were attracted to your boats at all.  It was the freakshow that is you they were attracted to--and they wanted to bury you in shit.

IMG_0704.JPG

This zip tie mohawk seems to work very well, along with twine laced between the mast and cap shrouds, about 4" above the spreaders.

I counted 19 fake snakes on a ~40' powerboat last week. No birdshit that I could see. I wonder if the number and deadliness of the snakes around here make fake ones more effective

19 hours ago, Rantifarian said:

I counted 19 fake snakes on a ~40' powerboat last week. No birdshit that I could see. I wonder if the number and deadliness of the snakes around here make fake ones more effective

Plastic snakes worked OK on our boat for a while but the birds eventually realised that they weren't dangerous and resumed their pooping

On 6/30/2017 at 4:24 PM, Whisper said:

Crows are extremely intelligent.  I doubt they were attracted to your boats at all.  It was the freakshow that is you they were attracted to--and they wanted to bury you in shit.

Going to have to disagree here. Crows are scavengers. They prey on things left for dead. Being a Brentboat, they probably just assumed his boat was parked on a reef. Honest mistake any bird could easily make based on the fact his boat basically looks half dead anyway. 

2 hours ago, Monkey said:

Going to have to disagree here. Crows are scavengers. They prey on things left for dead.

Crowes acte smartere then moeste peopel I meette eveyday.  They our obsearvent, cautiouse, and verrey patient birdes of pray. They cane telle differenttes between a broome ora rifle udder you arme from 200 yardes away.

45 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Crowes acte smartere then moeste peopel I meette eveyday.  They our obsearvent, cautiouse, and verrey patient birdes of pray. They cane telle differenttes between a broome ora rifle udder you arme from 200 yardes away.

They can't be that smart. A crow was perfectly content to munch on a dead raccoon in the middle of a highway last week, right up until I had to pluck his carcass out of my intercooler. 

Gotta love our fine feathered friends

IMG_4807.JPG

Not having *anything* on top of your mast is practically an invitation. I watched this eagle try to land on my mast and chose not to, then practically own this one for a couple days.

I have a spike on the top of my mast, but nothing else as a bird deterrent.

So far I've been lucky. Maybe it's the bird seed I scatter on the foredecks of all the boats around me....