• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Well, the new trimaran by Corsair saved my sailing life anyway...

In short, I found myself without a fleet in my early 40's asking the question "what's next?".  I learned to sail at age 7.  I won my first national championship at 11, was a four year letter at USMMA with a few national titles in hand by graduation in 1997.  After college, like many others, I continued to sail lasers and V15s though many of my fellow collegiate sailing competitors went into full time Olympic campaigns.  I qualified and competed in the Olympic Trials in 2000, 2004 & 2008 to showcase how much better the full time campaigners became over the years. For my personal fleet, I traded usage of an S525 for a J22 along the way and raced it for 13 years.  I ended up with a J30 that my wife and I enjoyed overnight cruising on but now with three kids, two boys 9 & 6 and a girl now 3, the contentment and solice the J30 brought my wife and I does not quite do it for all of us.

One day about three years ago, the owner of the J22 Green Flash called requesting his boat back.  We originally traded boats because we were both moving simultaneously, I left my boat where it was in Port Arthur for him to use, he left the J22 in Houston for me to use.  Sadly, I delivered Green Flash back to Port Arthor and the two of us decided I would donate the S525 along with some cash from him to the sea scouts.

I looked around for a new fleet and was not pleased with the state of the sailing world.  It was the new age of the handy sport boat with new fleets popping up every six months.  I went to a regatta that had 8 fleets of sport boats under 30 feet none of which had more than 6 boats and I could only think "this could be an awesome regatta with 50 boats on the line but instead it is a whole bunch of mini-regattas going on simultaneously, yipee, what is wrong with this picture?".    I had no intention on waiting for one fleet to take over the others which may take years and didn't care to buy a boat that propaganda dictated "that's where the competition is going."  

Watching the sport get stretched so thin was depressing and, frankly, I just wanted to go sailing again, have fun and go fast.  After much research, I bought the Corsair Pulse 600 last spring and can't say enough good things about this boat.  I have raced it with my family of five, single handed and with an experienced crew or two .  I have hit 25 knots with three experienced crew and I have returned to port at 19 knots with my 6 year old attempting to do flips on the windward trampoline.  One Friday afternoon, I left the office, splashed the boat left the dock at 2:45, went sailing came back put the boat away and left for home at 5:07 after logging 21 miles of blasting around Galveston Bay in my button down shirt and slacks.  For the first time in a long time, I am excited about just going out for a sail.  

The boat is fast while staying within the envelope of control and comfort.  Over the last year I have had the opportunity to push the limits of the Pulse 600 and have become more pleased with my decision to purchase it each time.  The boat rounds up when it should and plows through pitch-pole situations just as the designers intended.  It weight 992 lbs rigged and trailers at 90 mph with no problem.  You can take my word this boat is fast and easy or check this out this fast replay of the Galveston Bay Cruising Association's Rum Race #2, an 11.3 mile, staggered start with fast boats starting last and everyone theoretically finishing the triangle course at the same time.  TEAM AMERICA 142 is the green track leaving the dock when the first boat is rounding Mark #1.

https://www.facebook.com/chadtroywilson/posts/10213254384977377?notif_t=like&notif_id=1497797056038278

And a first attempt of some on board footage, admittedly not the best but it doesn't suck either  

So the message here goes to all those Anarchist who may be contemplating suicide of their sailing life, THERE IS HOPE and it is the Corsair Pulse 600.  

IMGP9444c.thumb.jpg.e2340a8ea38c9ec37031263feb9684ae.jpg

wonder if a great boat needs that kind of advertising ?

4 hours ago, ChadTWilson said:

Well, the new trimaran by Corsair saved my sailing life anyway...

In short, I found myself without a fleet in my early 40's asking the question "what's next?".  I learned to sail at age 7.  I won my first national championship at 11, was a four year letter at USMMA with a few national titles in hand by graduation in 1997.  After college, like many others, I continued to sail lasers and V15s though many of my fellow collegiate sailing competitors went into full time Olympic campaigns.  I qualified and competed in the Olympic Trials in 2000, 2004 & 2008 to showcase how much better the full time campaigners became over the years. For my personal fleet, I traded usage of an S525 for a J22 along the way and raced it for 13 years.  I ended up with a J30 that my wife and I enjoyed overnight cruising on but now with three kids, two boys 9 & 6 and a girl now 3, the contentment and solice the J30 brought my wife and I does not quite do it for all of us.

One day about three years ago, the owner of the J22 Green Flash called requesting his boat back.  We originally traded boats because we were both moving simultaneously, I left my boat where it was in Port Arthur for him to use, he left the J22 in Houston for me to use.  Sadly, I delivered Green Flash back to Port Arthor and the two of us decided I would donate the S525 along with some cash from him to the sea scouts.

I looked around for a new fleet and was not pleased with the state of the sailing world.  It was the new age of the handy sport boat with new fleets popping up every six months.  I went to a regatta that had 8 fleets of sport boats under 30 feet none of which had more than 6 boats and I could only think "this could be an awesome regatta with 50 boats on the line but instead it is a whole bunch of mini-regattas going on simultaneously, yipee, what is wrong with this picture?".    I had no intention on waiting for one fleet to take over the others which may take years and didn't care to buy a boat that propaganda dictated "that's where the competition is going."  

Watching the sport get stretched so thin was depressing and, frankly, I just wanted to go sailing again, have fun and go fast.  After much research, I bought the Corsair Pulse 600 last spring and can't say enough good things about this boat.  I have raced it with my family of five, single handed and with an experienced crew or two .  I have hit 25 knots with three experienced crew and I have returned to port at 19 knots with my 6 year old attempting to do flips on the windward trampoline.  One Friday afternoon, I left the office, splashed the boat left the dock at 2:45, went sailing came back put the boat away and left for home at 5:07 after logging 21 miles of blasting around Galveston Bay in my button down shirt and slacks.  For the first time in a long time, I am excited about just going out for a sail.  

The boat is fast while staying within the envelope of control and comfort.  Over the last year I have had the opportunity to push the limits of the Pulse 600 and have become more pleased with my decision to purchase it each time.  The boat rounds up when it should and plows through pitch-pole situations just as the designers intended.  It weight 992 lbs rigged and trailers at 90 mph with no problem.  You can take my word this boat is fast and easy or check this out this fast replay of the Galveston Bay Cruising Association's Rum Race #2, an 11.3 mile, staggered start with fast boats starting last and everyone theoretically finishing the triangle course at the same time.  TEAM AMERICA 142 is the green track leaving the dock when the first boat is rounding Mark #1.

https://www.facebook.com/chadtroywilson/posts/10213254384977377?notif_t=like&notif_id=1497797056038278

And a first attempt of some on board footage, admittedly not the best but it doesn't suck either  

So the message here goes to all those Anarchist who may be contemplating suicide of their sailing life, THERE IS HOPE and it is the Corsair Pulse 600.  

IMGP9444c.thumb.jpg.e2340a8ea38c9ec37031263feb9684ae.jpg

The Minister of Multihull Propaganda (MoMP) approves of this message.......

Great write-up. I've seen you out there, CW, and watched with a sense of increasing, I don't know - despair.... I have also followed you around the race course in Lasers years ago (and folks - the man is GOOD). I, too, went to KP (`81) and used to own a Corsair 28R. Loved it, loved it, but it was a bit too athletic for us after our older sons left home, so we went back to dragging lead around (I have a special needs daughter so the accommodations are more important now, and the Admiral doesn't like a bucket). Switched boats a few times over the past eleven years, and have settled on one for the moment to finish a bucket list solo trip to Key West, then she's for sale, pronto. Been thinking about what's next... and I do believe you are on the right track. 

Thanks for sharing.

Some high quality douchebaggery in that post, but my favorite is how it "trailers well at 90 mph no problem." Are we supposed to be impressed with your driving skill? Please advise us where and when you plan to trailer this thing at 90 mph so we can avoid you.

Please explain what kind of trailer is designed to go 90 MPH with a large boat on it. Be sure to compare and contrast stopping distances with and without the trailer. Then buy an ad!

WTF does he need to buy an add for? I've hit 85 multiple times towing my bigass boat, Cat2Fold...which is probably 10 times as much boat. What's wrong with that? The guy wrote a piece about how much he likes his boat, why, what he can do with it, and a bit about his sailing background for reference, and you gotta pick him apart for nothing? He's fucking psyched, for Christ sake! Just because you are not, doesn't mean you need to try and drag he, and everyone else down with you. 

Same to the rest of you dis'ers. 

Fuck Off. 

34 minutes ago, superg said:

Some high quality douchebaggery in that post, but my favorite is how it "trailers well at 90 mph no problem." Are we supposed to be impressed with your driving skill? Please advise us where and when you plan to trailer this thing at 90 mph so we can avoid you.

If I may respectfully comment.  They guy shared his story and I see that a lot of my most distinguished fellow SA posters are dick heads.  Of course, that is par for SA.  I knew it was coming when I read his post.  I thought I had blocked most of the true dick heads but I guess I missed a few.  Flame on, I am not subscribing to this post so I won't see your reply so don't worry about hurting my feelings.

I have two of the Pulse 600's on either side of my runabout (Yes, I have a sailboat, so don't go there...).  I have wondered about their suitability for places with actual wind and wave action.  I have heard such varying responses as "The boat will need highly experienced multihull sailors," to "Looks like an easy way to have a lot of fun."  I am in no way in the market, but anybody have thoughts about this boat for the average Joe or Jill in trade wind conditions?

I've only see one sailing from a distance on a windy day, and it looked pretty placid in decent wind (like the photos posted).  Kite I saw was a very conservative small fractional asso.

I agree with im on many points, but having all those sailing history and this is his first post makes me wonder. going 90 is absurd, sailing 25 knots is absurd, just way to many crazy embellishments...  yes 15 might feel like 25 ... and is pretty cool anything over 20 .... well ...??

thor

7 hours ago, allene222 said:

If I may respectfully comment.  They guy shared his story and I see that a lot of my most distinguished fellow SA posters are dick heads.  Of course, that is par for SA.  I knew it was coming when I read his post.  I thought I had blocked most of the true dick heads but I guess I missed a few.  

+1 for this and Solarbri's comments.  Do you geniuses with the dickhead posts think you're doing anything positive for the sport, and/or otherwise contributing anything useful?  Get a life.

The Pulse 600 looks like a great ride.  It would be fun to hear more about how to sail it well.

I don't know.  I had a Corsair F31R and with a Ford F-150 got it up to 70mph + on a trailer and that is a much, much bigger boat.  Comparing the Pulse 600 which is signficantly smaller.  Plus I had the F-31 up to a verified 24.5 knots on the GPS with a pretty in-experienced crew and I am probably not anywhere in the same league of sailor as Chad.  I have been boatless for almost 10 years after selling the F-31 - it was my dream and nightmare.   The Pulse 600 has me thinking about getting back in the game.  Thanks for the great write up.

Fk not  the speed claims  again .. . Sick  of people claiming  being as fast as an A cat or moth. Or F18. Take your gps Files, average 20sec and  then come back

8 hours ago, dayneger said:

+1 for this and Solarbri's comments.  Do you geniuses with the dickhead posts think you're doing anything positive for the sport, and/or otherwise contributing anything useful?  Get a life.

The Pulse 600 looks like a great ride.  It would be fun to hear more about how to sail it well.

Since sailing is a lot about tradition, I provided the Traditional SA Greeting.  Doesn't seemed to get used much any more, which is a shame.  It's a rite of passage, and this guy, being a lifelong sailor and someone who might contribute real content to the boards, seemed worthy of it.  Few seem worthy, and the forums have gone to mush, which is perhaps why it's fallen out of favor.  This ain't didn't used to be Cruiser's Forum.

Carry on.

yes, traditional greeting indeed!

I own and older verison (F24) and they are great boats.  Forgiving yet fast, easy to sail singlehanded in all but the worst conditions.  It is an absolute hoot blast reaching in flat water/offshore breeze.  I think I've seen (very) low 20's in those conditions with 3 on board who know when to blow the traveler

Last w/l race in 15kts TWS and moderate short chop (coastal conditions) saw 11kts / 17kts up/down respectively.  Obviously the 17kts down used some of the wave action.

I would imagine a well sailed F22 or Pulse 600 would do better, as it's significantly lighter (I have a "cabin").

Trailer ability is huge... Think of how much a slip costs ... and bottom paint.

Setup from arrival in boat-park to pulling boat off trailer in water is roughly 45 minutes.  About another 15 to hank on sails and load coolers/kit after tied up at dock.  Maybe 90 minutes to break it all down and pull out of the boat-park.

Things I wouldn't do with my 24:

- Pinch.  Pinching is slow death on any multihull.  Easy to do with mixed fleet racing when you are trying to drive over some S2 7.9 who's got it in for you... (and you know who you are, J!) 

- Race singlehanded in over 20 kts TWS.  Spinnaker dousing would be relatively difficult :)

- Trailer at 90.  Single axle trailer and a lot of windage will make it wobble above 75 and my gas mileage would suck worse than it does

- Blue water cruising.  I wouldn't go blue water cruising with any boat less than 40' for that matter.  Waves and wind stack up big-time when far from land.  Coastal cruising is fine, but without a cabin or other protection from the elements, I'd probably shy away from serious long distance coastal races like the T500 or even FTL-Key West if conditions aren't right.

-Long cruising.  If you want accommodations and amenities for a month off the grid, get a cruising cat

- Brag about it's good looks.  If you want graceful lines, get a classic wood monohull with huge overhangs... Or that Alerion daysailer..

If you want fast, fun, light and easy, consider trailer multis (cats and tris)

21 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:

Well, aren't you special?

Hahahahaha!...first thought was there goes the USN slagging off on the MM...klassik!!!

Nice write up Chad.  Sorry the Melges 24 didn't do it for you.

I talked to another owner of one the Pulse 600 on Galveston Bay and he says these things are wicked fast.  

2 hours ago, Grabbler said:

Hahahahaha!...first thought was there goes the USN slagging off on the MM...klassik!!!

Imagine you have someone in their mid 40's walk into the bar and starts telling you how important he was 25 years ago as a teenager. I suspect I'd remember I needed to get ready for a root canal and leave. That is how he impresses me. 

YMMV

8 minutes ago, Innocent Bystander said:

Imagine you have someone in their mid 40's walk into the bar and starts telling you how important he was 25 years ago as a teenager. I suspect I'd remember I needed to get ready for a root canal and leave. That is how he impresses me. 

YMMV

No...MMDNV... :lol:

17 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:

YMMV

Exactly my reaction. A decent boat review is undermined by gratuitous bragging and hyperbole. 

Yeah - the boat looks like a ton of fun, but the review was a bit over the top. Also I will maintain trailering boats at 90 MPH is not something I can see doing safely. If you are some deserted road, have at it, you'll only kill yourself, but I don't want anyone I know headed the other way when it yanks you over into the oncoming lane.

Reading this this thread really shines a light on the problem with our sport.  A bunch tossers that couldn't sail out of a wet paper bag jump on a thread as an anonymous person and bash someone that actually has a sailing resume.  

Well, I am a Pulse 600 owner, I haven't been over 20 kts yet, since I sail most of the time single-handed on a lake with a TWA of 90°, so no chute, but I can confirm, that it is quite easy to get to 17 kts in probably as much wind.

You can check my tracks on: www.sailingrecord.com

19 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:

YMMV

I guess you read my comments differently than most and certainly with a meaning not intended nor present.  

Per your scenario, I suspect I would buy a round for the entire bar upon your exit and ask the barkeep "What is wrong with that guy?" and the barkeep would reply "He's here every single day.  He takes out is frustration of never being accepted by his father by lashing out at anyone he thinks will listen.  He tries to elevate himself by demeaning others.  He lives in his mother's basement and is not a good tipper."   

I would respond "That is so sad, I hope he finds what he is looking for someday."

Chad, for me at least, your sailing resume didn´t come across as boasting, but just the context, to know where you came from to better gauge your enthusiasm for the Pulse.

My one minor criticism was the title of the thread.  With three young kids and a wife (who I am sure you adore), I hardly believe the 600 'saved your life'.  How about 'saved (or resurrected) your sailing life'.   Other than that, I enjoyed the read.

7 hours ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Yeah - the boat looks like a ton of fun, but the review was a bit over the top.

6 hours ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Because you know every word of the OP is true and also somehow know what everyone else sails too?

Your ESP is awesome!

You are such an ass.  You have a 4 KSB, and can't race to save your life, yet you pontificate endlessly on things you know nothing about.

I have sailed the Pulse.  Its an accurate review, right down to where he said he wanted a fleet and likes big fleets, yet bought a boat that has no fleet presence except in isolated, once in a blue moon regattas.

On 6/22/2017 at 8:14 AM, bplipschitz said:

Since sailing is a lot about tradition, I provided the Traditional SA Greeting.  Doesn't seemed to get used much any more, which is a shame.  It's a rite of passage, and this guy, being a lifelong sailor and someone who might contribute real content to the boards, seemed worthy of it.  Few seem worthy, and the forums have gone to mush, which is perhaps why it's fallen out of favor.  This ain't didn't used to be Cruiser's Forum.

Carry on.

+1......  Where R da bewbs???  Good on ya OP...  but ya gotta show da bewbs....  

Oh yea, if MOMP gives it his blessing I am 100% on board.... B)

On 6/21/2017 at 2:40 PM, Solarbri said:

WTF does he need to buy an add for? I've hit 85 multiple times towing my bigass boat, Cat2Fold...which is probably 10 times as much boat. What's wrong with that? The guy wrote a piece about how much he likes his boat, why, what he can do with it, and a bit about his sailing background for reference, and you gotta pick him apart for nothing? He's fucking psyched, for Christ sake! Just because you are not, doesn't mean you need to try and drag he, and everyone else down with you. 

Same to the rest of you dis'ers. 

Fuck Off. 

You drive 85mph towing a trailer? You belong in Mexico asshat. Stay there!

Traffic cops and keyboard warriors,i wonder how they got to be on a sailing forum.

Good on you Chad, I came back to sailing after nearly 30 years in motor sports, auto restoration. After the death of my son I needed a complete change to quite literally "save my life' I bought a farrier Tramp trimaran, your boats equivalent 30 years ago, went out and relearnt racing,broke the boat, broke my demons in the process and despite it weighing nearly twice what yours does achieved a max speed over 7 years of racing of 18kts. I up graded to a more modern lighter Ostac tramp a couple of years ago, no faster 'yet' but higher average speed,  Best fun you can have with your Pants on, beat many bigger more expensive fully crewed boats, I sail mine almost exclusively singlehanded with a spinnaker. Wish I could afford a Pulse 600, love to give one a go. Good Luck with yours in the future.

Strange first post but I like the material. A lot of sailors just get tired of racing slow boats. I got a deal on a Tornado and it just completely changed my outlook. New or older design multi between 20 - 25 feet that EASILY fits your budget is the sweet spot in sailing.  Fast is a lot more fun.

10 hours ago, By the lee said:

You drive 85mph towing a trailer? You belong in Mexico asshat. Stay there!

Do you have any idea what the posted speed limit is where I drive? Yeah, I didn't think so. 

Staying in Mexico? I'm all for it! Asshat? ...Mmmmkay...pretty damn sure you wouldn't say that to my face.

Fuck Off!

People, can we PLEASE add to the conversation? If not, can you just sit on your fucking hands?

All righty I will add.. For the Original Poster- (OP) Check out Viper threads and their web site. IMHO the best internet fleet building for both local and national that I have seen. Multi fleet building is a bit different but it appears that the Viper altitude works very well. 

How long to go from water to 95 kilometers per. hour?.....I am sure he meant kph not mph!