• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Point Break

Jacques-Yves Cousteau

Had a hell of a lot more impact on peoples attitudes towards the oceans than Greenpeace ever did.

11 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Had a hell of a lot more impact on peoples attitudes towards the oceans than Greenpeace ever did.

I think I may have posted it before but I had occasion on a Project Ocean Search to ask the Captain what he thought of Greenpeace. He said that just like the ocean everybody in the "ecosystem" has a function. Greenpeace's function was to peak people's interest in the issues because of some of their outrageous behaviors/actions. Then.....the politicians and world leaders would come to some of the organizations viewed as more credible to ask important questions. So in his view Greenpeace elevated the subject to everyday discussion and he brought coherent science and unabashed love of the ocean and natural world to the discussion. He said "We teach people to love the ocean....people protect what they love". I never have forgotten that interaction.

One of the founders of Greenpeace had an Olympic Bronze in sailing.  May help to set the tone.

3 hours ago, SV Airlie said:

He was a regular at my parent's house but, he became pretty pessimistic about the overall condition of the oceans. Really interesting guy regardless. Not weekly but, 3 or 4 times a year.

That must have been some interesting dinner table discussions. I've had the chance to meet his son Jean-Michel and chat often online with his grandson Fabien and granddaughter Alexandra. Facinating family. 

14 minutes ago, sailingk8 said:

That must have been some interesting dinner table discussions. I've had the chance to meet his son Jean-Michel and chat often online with his grandson Fabien and granddaughter Alexandra. Facinating family. 

Jean-Michel anchored out the front of the club I was a member of in Papua New Guinea the mid/late 80s. They all came ashore in their silver wetsuits. 

1 hour ago, Laker said:

One of the founders of Greenpeace had an Olympic Bronze in sailing.  May help to set the tone.

Which one?

20 hours ago, Chum said:

I built a model of Calypso as a kid, I loved that Nat Geo program.

(not mine)

IMG_1668_zpskwccalxv.jpg

Hell, I loved it as an adult!

18 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

I stopped giving to Greenpeace in 1992 after I received a newsletter with an unhinged screed against Christopher Columbus on the eve of his voyage's 500th anniversary.  Greenpeace has only gotten worse since then.  People like Jacues Cousteau and Steve Zissou have done far more good than it.

12 minutes ago, RedTuna said:

Hell, I loved it as an adult!

I stopped giving to Greenpeace in 1992 after I received a newsletter with an unhinged screed against Christopher Columbus on the eve of his voyage's 500th anniversary.  Greenpeace has only gotten worse since then.  People like Jacues Cousteau and Steve Zissou have done far more good than it.

I agree Cousteau's TV show and Zissou's documentaries were the best. Original reality TV. I had a Calypso model also and one of my favorite books growing up was his shark book. 

On 6/30/2017 at 11:19 AM, Irrational 14 said:

86e3c5063db7682f130e8b6032aac0a0 la paz.jpg

Okay, okay.  Point taken.  So Cousteau has attracted higher caliber sculptors thas Zissou.

fuv1w8.jpg