• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Assuming Lazza bows out who will fund the next US team and almost as importantly will they employ any seppos?

For bonus points who is more likely to be driving a boat at the next event?  Jimmy or Dean?

80% nationality rule, all helms must be nationals.

I expect at least 2 US teams as of today.

With all their billionaire oligarchs, why have no Russian Challenge materialised in recent times? Is it because it's called the "America's" Cup, I wonder??

10 minutes ago, Indio said:

With all their billionaire oligarchs, why have no Russian Challenge materialised in recent times? Is it because it's called the "America's" Cup, I wonder??

imagine if the russians got hold of it. 

Maybe Travis kalanick could sponsor one American team. Seems to have the right temperament 

how much did a challenge cost for this cup?

what was the total budget - since the SF cup - for, say, Artemis?

I think you could probably talk Elon Musk into it.

You know, get rid of the Grinders/cyclors  and use stored power for the next one. 

Musk Brand Batteries 

One stop shopping for all your AC battery needs ^_^

Hell, he's already got spaceships and hyperloop's. This is right up his alley

22 hours ago, SCARECROW said:

Assuming Lazza bows out who will fund the next US team and almost as importantly will they employ any seppos?

For bonus points who is more likely to be driving a boat at the next event?  Jimmy or Dean?

Deano is DONE as a helmsman and possibly in the cup also. I think he is a great guy, but he has the stinky smell of failure all over him and I don't see anyone wanting to hire him.

Jimmy on the other hand will still be sought after IMO, but not hugely as he was just pretty comprehensively schooled (much to my amazement) by Burling..

I predicted a week or so ago that the US will have AT LEAST 2 challengers, probably more regardless of whether or not Lazza turns up.

38 minutes ago, Dorado said:

I think you could probably talk Elon Musk into it.

You know, get rid of the Grinders/cyclors  and use stored power for the next one. 

Musk Brand Batteries 

One stop shopping for all your AC battery needs ^_^

Hell, he's already got spaceships and hyperloop's. This is right up his alley

Musk doesn't seem to do anything without a massive Government subsidy, so look out for a 8 or 9 figure bill if he does!

22 hours ago, Qman said:

imagine if the russians got hold of it. 

Wouldn't they hack all the American teams? :P

14 hours ago, Alinghi4ever said:

I expect no US Teams for the next 30 years.

Clean is probably passed out on the yacht club lawn by now but I think we can expect him to start hinting at all the scoops from last night's parties.

If he can remember anything.

23 hours ago, SCARECROW said:

Deans too old i reckon.  How shit must dean be feeling today ? Turns down amazing role with ETNZ to pursue redemption and instead signs on with his rivals and comes up total Silvers !

Would be great to have NYYC back in the game plus at least one more major US club, and why not a Dutch one given J and gunboat involvement , lots of talent in Germany and Austria (tilt) too, Switzerland back in, how about Denmark, S Africa, Brazil, Argentina make it affordable but never cheap but blood as many new nations as possible...

On 26/06/2017 at 4:38 PM, Indio said:

Perhaps the heavy ice breaking bows make them feel they'd have no chance.

8 minutes ago, Eiar said:

Would be great to have NYYC back in the game plus at least one more major US club, and why not a Dutch one given J and gunboat involvement , lots of talent in Germany and Austria (tilt) too, Switzerland back in, how about Denmark, S Africa, Brazil, Argentina make it affordable but never cheap but blood as many new nations as possible...

Spanish?

7 hours ago, us7070 said:

how much did a challenge cost for this cup?

what was the total budget - since the SF cup - for, say, Artemis?

BAR have said around 100million spent.

NZ slightly north of that supposedly.

FR somewhere around 15-20million as a complete guess given the comments of "pretty much a 10th of the big teams".

Not much sign of the team sizes changing between 2007 and 2017. Which suggests that the budget for a competitive campaign is around 80-100 million what ever.

11 minutes ago, rgeek said:

FR somewhere around 15-20million as a complete guess given the comments of "pretty much a 10th of the big teams".

Not much sign of the team sizes changing between 2007 and 2017. Which suggests that the budget for a competitive campaign is around 80-100 million what ever.

Fwiw BAR said their next challenge would cost a lot less assuming the protocols were adopted. A large chunk of their money went to infastructure like the base and buildings they won't have to re-buy. 

If etnz really spent $100mill I have to wonder where they got it from. 

3 hours ago, Lartitude36S said:

Maybe an American/Mexican team...

Maybe an American team paid by the Mexicans like the Trump Wall.

1 hour ago, StumbleNola said:

Fwiw BAR said their next challenge would cost a lot less assuming the protocols were adopted. A large chunk of their money went to infastructure like the base and buildings they won't have to re-buy. 

May be but running the campaign out of Portsmouth while the racing is in Aukland is going to add cost back in.

10 minutes ago, rgeek said:

May be but running the campaign out of Portsmouth while the racing is in Aukland is going to add cost back in.

They will spend as much money as they can lay their hands on even if the next boat is the size of an opti. 

We saw this with the AC50 that were predominantly one design.

What happened? All the $$$ went into areas not covered by the 1d rule.

4 hours ago, jaysper said:

Deano is DONE as a helmsman and possibly in the cup also. I think he is a great guy, but he has the stinky smell of failure all over him and I don't see anyone wanting to hire him.

Jimmy on the other hand will still be sought after IMO, but not hugely as he was just pretty comprehensively schooled (much to my amazement) by Burling..

I predicted a week or so ago that the US will have AT LEAST 2 challengers, probably more regardless of whether or not Lazza turns up.

I think we'll see Taylor canfield at the helm of the next US challenge lead by Ken Read, backed by Jim Clark.

4 minutes ago, sclarke said:

I think we'll see Taylor canfield at the helm of the next US challenge lead by Ken Read, backed by Jim Clark.

Do you think Read has the skills? 

2 hours ago, StumbleNola said:

remember BAR build a base and also had 4 test boats, there is no way ETNZ spent half of what BAR did. 

6 minutes ago, jaysper said:

Do you think Read has the skills? 

I think he's done a great job as skipper and team leader of Comanche. He's an American sailing icon and well respected in the sailing world. So yes, I think Kenny definitely has the skills.

5 minutes ago, Qman said:

remember BAR build a base and also had 4 test boats, there is no way ETNZ spent half of what BAR did. 

Dunno, could have. The cost of establishing the beach head in Bermuda would have run into the millions very comfortably. They may not have had 100 million cash but tack on all the freebies (fright,  airfares,  etc) and. I reckon it'd be up there. 

Just now, sclarke said:

I think he's done a great job as skipper and team leader of Comanche. He's an American sailing icon and well respected in the sailing world. So yes, I think Kenny definitely has the skills.

America's cup is quite different though. 

That said, I think if we are to see a proliferation of new teams for the next cup, the shortage of people with this capability will need to be filled through the cultivation of talent like Artemis has done.

5 minutes ago, jaysper said:

That said, I think if we are to see a proliferation of new teams for the next cup, the shortage of people with this capability will need to be filled through the cultivation of talent like Artemis has done.

Agreed. I also think we'll see a team from Aussie under David Witt and the Scallywag brand.

4 minutes ago, sclarke said:

Agreed. I also think we'll see a team from Aussie under David Witt and the Scallywag brand.

Nice thing about taking the Artemis approach is that you develop a greater skill base capable of supporting more teams rather than fighting over the same small pool of people. I greatly respect Torborjn for that. Totally different approach to Ernie and Lazza.

Am guessing that barker will front the japan challenge but not sail.

Percy will manage art but not sail, 

Ainslie will try sail but prove a bad choice. 

NO will be hot property. 

Jimmy will move to offshore racing with commanche 

franck will front the french but not sail.

Olympic and class champs will lead the way

8 hours ago, Trickypig said:

Clean is probably passed out on the yacht club lawn by now but I think we can expect him to start hinting at all the scoops from last night's parties.

If he can remember anything.

3 teams.  One West Coast.  One middle.  One East Coast.

All working on initial budgets and personnel as we speak.  All with some real backing.

51 minutes ago, Qman said:

Am guessing that barker will front the japan challenge but not sail.

Percy will manage art but not sail, 

Ainslie will try sail but prove a bad choice. 

NO will be hot property. 

Jimmy will move to offshore racing with commanche 

franck will front the french but not sail.

Olympic and class champs will lead the way

Pretty prescient I think, other than Franck stuff.

I'm almost certain Groupama will not be back, there is another French challenger building and they don't get along with Cammas.  Neither do the kiwis, for that matter.  More sworn to secrecy stuff, but the Gpama stuff will come out.

6 hours ago, rgeek said:

Depends slightly on time frame? If AC36 isn't until 2020/21...? 

7 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Pretty prescient I think, other than Franck stuff.

I'm almost certain Groupama will not be back, there is another French challenger building and they don't get along with Cammas.  Neither do the kiwis, for that matter.  More sworn to secrecy stuff, but the Gpama stuff will come out.

Mr Clean, when will you be in Auckland next...must be a chance to set up a SA drink or three maybe??

56 minutes ago, rgeek said:

.. or AR will relocate to Australia in order to keep NO on borad

Or he will get Swedish citizenship, not too difficult, although his crew might have to change his name to Jönsson, sounds to Danish now

1 hour ago, MR.CLEAN said:

All working on initial budgets and personnel as we speak.  All with some real backing.

I imagine ETNZ also has to confirm venue and rules of engagement before anyone gets serious.

You're up at 8.20am after the party. Strong coffee I'm thinking.

I enjoyed your commentary. Not too much shit stirring although I can sometimes see the `oh no, it's Alan' in some interviewee's eyes.

That would be awesome. LE corporate America approach  took most of the American passion for Sailing, with little areas, out of this. We need some homegrown blood sweat and tears challenges like Melges did. 

And the good news is I had powerboaters asking me "how do they do that(foiling)?"… They seem to have a product now that inspires interest. My kids are into it as well, only because  I forced him to sit next to me and watch but anyway there are exposed and think it's cool. 

US  teams probably have less potential for raising a large percentage of the budget by sponsorship than most of the other teams.

that means someone with a lot of money needs to get interested enough to spend say $50M or more.., say half the budget

The USA has lot's of people with enough money that they can drop $50M or more on something like this.., and lot's of people with interest in the AC...

but the problem is that they are not the same people!

for all the bitching abut LE.., he had both the:  interest and the money

5 hours ago, sclarke said:

Ken Read is a sailing icon in the US?  Not so sure about that. 

Having said that, Reid would be my first choice to be CEO of a true American challenge.  He has Cup experience, he ran two pretty successful VOR campaigns and is curretly running Jim Clark's boats in Comanche and Hanuman.  He also is high up in North Sails.  Reid has sailing organzational skills.

What about Terry Hutchinson?  Haven't heard much from Casper since The Stache booted him out of Artemis back during AC34.  I would think he has some unfinished buisness with the AC, and a score to settle.  I wonder if in the slim chance ETNZ goes back to mono's if Hutchinson would/could flip his Quantum sailing team into the AC.

WetHog  :ph34r:

5 hours ago, jaysper said:

he's too old to skipper the boat, and hasn't been sailing the small high performance boats that are the training platform for this generation of AC boats

but, i guess we don't know what the next boat will be...

whoops - screwed up the quote i guess... that's in reference to KR driving a boat in the next AC

10 minutes ago, rgeek said:

The one Bora 'apparent wind' Gulari is driving for and Doug 'mid coast money' DeVos is funding?

the DeVos family is rich, but are they rich enough?

i'm not sure...

On 6/26/2017 at 5:38 AM, Indio said:

Nobody cares about sailing in Russia. It is just too far from being a national sport. And the oligarchs are having fun in RC44 which they can actually sail, as opposed to modern AC.

There is also a language barrirer and the price of oil.

There was an interesting endeavour of Gazprom with ESS, but it failed.

1 minute ago, rgeek said:

More Russian yotters on Facebook than you can shake a stick at!

I can assure you - you woudn't see a potential AC founder there :)

Interesting to note that Larry's personal wealth increased by 5 Billion in two days last week so he won't be crying over the costs of this adventure. 

11 hours ago, SloopJohnB said:

Bit hard with a wall between them.:rolleyes:

And what happens if you build half a boat in MEX and half in the US and the 2 halves don't join together properly.  Uh oh.

:lol:

32 minutes ago, Paddywackery said:

Interesting to note that Larry's personal wealth increased by 5 Billion in two days last week so he won't be crying over the costs of this adventure. 

Share holders are probably relieved he's not distracted by the cup any more!

I'm confused. Is this a thread about the team or the billionaire softies who'll be roped into paying the team?

OK OK....

If you take it that the helm likely needs to have come from a Moth or 49er background that leaves Bora and ... ? Taylor Cannfield did himself some big favours going on the M32 series but went off the boil in last years WMRT (?) How about some kind of roll for Chris Larson? At least he's been around skiffs ad apparent wind sailing.

Or how about Stu McNey and Dave Hugh as a Burling/Tuke style combo?

8 hours ago, sclarke said:

They can be guaranteed a good disco on soft sails too 

35 minutes ago, Dave Clark said:

I'm confused. Is this a thread about the team or the billionaire softies who'll be roped into paying the team?

Is there a difference?

More or less I am dreaming here. I do think there are a whole bunch of Americans brands that depend on international markets for growth.

Under Armor Kevin Plank

Tesla Elon Musk

I could see Elon Musk and the Tesla brand filling the gap left by Oracle for the GGYC. If he jumped in now he maybe able poach a lot of team Oracle or partner with Larry. I would love to see Larry out and Paul Cayard jump back in. I would also love to see the NYYC marry the stars and stripes brand with Under Armor if DC could give the blessing to Ken Read to be CEO of that team. Kevin Plank’s Under Armor band is banking on international growth. I believe these teams should partner behind the scenes and rival each other in front of the cameras.  It’s clear we will need to create a whole new generation of sailors to compete.

26 minutes ago, rgeek said:

OK OK....

If you take it that the helm likely needs to have come from a Moth or 49er background that leaves Bora and ... ? Taylor Cannfield did himself some big favours going on the M32 series but went off the boil in last years WMRT (?) How about some kind of roll for Chris Larson? At least he's been around skiffs ad apparent wind sailing.

If they keep sailing cats or very fast foiling boats, the apparent wind sailors will be required. Guys deano and spitty are a bridge between to the two.  Skiff and cat sailors are the future helms in these apparent wind machines.  

47 minutes ago, rgeek said:

OK OK....

There's not just Bora, though he's a pretty obvious choice if foiling and skiff and cat stuff is as important as it is proving to be.

I don't know the next generation that well yet, but there are doubtless a pile of good up and comers too.

Just a quick list of great foilers/skiffies off top of my head with age (also guessed some of that)

Patrick Wilson (25 ish)

Brad Funk (30 and change?)

Morgan Larson (early 40s?)

Jonny Goldsberry (early 30s)

George Peet (late 20s?)

Anthony Kotoun (dual citizen?) Late 30s or early 40s?

Kevin Hall (46 i think)

Jonathan McKee (mid to late 40s)

Charlie McKee (early 40s?)

DeVos I'm sure puts a ton of money into the 52, I could tell that in Miami just by the number of sails Q loaded onto their chase boat vs the other teams, no comparison even with Azzura. Really, how much more would it take for an AC team? They do quite a bit of work on design, sail technology, rigs, etc. for 6 regatta's a year so how much difference?

21 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

There's not just Bora, though he's a pretty obvious choice if foiling and skiff and cat stuff is as important as it is proving to be.

I don't know the next generation that well yet, but there are doubtless a pile of good up and comers too.

Just a quick list of great foilers/skiffies off top of my head with age (also guessed some of that)

Patrick Wilson (25 ish)

George Peet (late 20s?)

Kevin Hall (46 i think)

All too old - to helm vs burling 

need to get the best sailor in US under 22 and go two cycles 

7 minutes ago, Big Show said:

maybe but you have to start somewhere, and there are precisely zero American moth or 49er world champions younger than Gulari or the McKees.  

5 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

maybe but you have to start somewhere, and there are precisely zero American moth or 49er world champions younger than Gulari or the McKees.  

5 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Agreed, which is why you 'teach' the best talent under 22 yrs old. Christophe Killian. 

Top 20 in World in match racing. NCAA champion. 

Most potential that I can see in the US that young but it will take a couple of cycles. 

14 hours ago, Lartitude36S said:

Maybe an American/Mexican team...

How great would that be, the venue could be having to climb a wall, like in the American Ninja and the a sailboat race

Patrick Wilson (25 ish)

George Peet (late 20s?)

Kevin Hall (46 i think)

Matt Struble is equal or better in any foiling craft to the list above.

Google & Facebook with unlimited budgets

SAYC  ???

1 hour ago, Big Show said:

There are some amazing kite foilers in that range....

4 minutes ago, AClass USA 230 said:

I was thinking of Struble as well. 

The problem is there really isnt anyone in the world as good as Glen on an A-Cat. Even Mishka, while fantastic, is second. If you want to draw from the 49er, well PB just got the Olympic gold so everyone is a step down. Combine Gashby and PB and you have the best Catamaran sailor of all time coaching the best 49er sailor (Sailors with Turk) of his generation. That's a pretty hard combination to beat. Even if Glens reaction times start to slow down a bit, and they will as he passes 40, his depth of knowledge and skill are so far ahead it's just scary. But allow him another cycle to train PB and Turk and ETNZ may have a dynasty that lasts not just a one off Cup challenge. 

To me the real question is do you want to build a one off Cup challenge just to get it away from ETNZ, or do you want to build a dynasty like BAR is trying? For the first you retread Oracle, with or without LE. For the second you need to build a base, buy a bunch of 49ers, Moths, and A-Cats, then find a crap load of 16-22 year olds to sail them. With Bora, Glaser, Randy Smith, etc hired as coaches. It takes years and a lot of support an coaching to find the next legacy, and we just don't have it in the US. Everyone graduates from Opti's to 420's to J30's instead. 

1 hour ago, StumbleNola said:

...The problem is there really isnt anyone in the world as good as Glen on an A-Cat. Even Mishka, while fantastic, is second. If you want to draw from the 49er, well PB just got the Olympic gold so everyone is a step down. Combine Gashby and PB and you have the best Catamaran sailor of all time coaching the best 49er sailor (Sailors with Turk) of his generation. That's a pretty hard combination to beat. Even if Glens reaction times start to slow down a bit, and they will as he passes 40, his depth of knowledge and skill are so far ahead it's just scary. But allow him another cycle to train PB and Turk and ETNZ may have a dynasty that lasts not just a one off Cup challenge...

This. 

If you keep the tight three of Burling, Tuke and Ashby together there are no other three on earth you can put together to match. You had better get the rest of the package better than them because hands down you have to know you're racing against three better sailors. 

NZ should pay them and keep them together for this defence and at least another. 

That's why the US should go super young - find the best talent and go two cycles. That kid would be Burling's current age or a bit older in two cycles. 

4 hours ago, jerseyguy said:

And what happens if you build half a boat in MEX and half in the US and the 2 halves don't join together properly.  Uh oh.

:lol:

Then there's that darned wall to negotiate B)

7 hours ago, us7070 said:

he's too old to skipper the boat, and hasn't been sailing the small high performance boats that are the training platform for this generation of AC boats

but, i guess we don't know what the next boat will be...

whoops - screwed up the quote i guess... that's in reference to KR driving a boat in the next AC

Yeah, I was referring to Read's ability to manage/lead the campaign, not sail it.

Right now, there is a paucity of those skills because the number of AC challengers has been so low for so long.

Hence my comment that it is good that Artemis are actually developing these skills rather than just buying them in.

This isn't about age. Superior boatspeed, power and controls make any skipper look like a genius.

That said, burling is advantaged over other skippers like jimmy and deano on one count: Spithill and Barker are fundamentally not fast boat sailors. They rose onto the world stage via keelboat match racing and the finn respectively because they likely felt genuine affinity for those avenues. Strip down Barker's instincts and I bet you at the very base there's hard earned lessons from his early Finn campaigns. You can pay Julie Andrews to rap and she'll apply herself mightily. But you're unlikely to get a true masterpiece out of it.

DRC

3 hours ago, Big Show said:

This. 

If you keep the tight three of Burling, Tuke and Ashby together there are no other three on earth you can put together to match. You had better get the rest of the package better than them because hands down you have to know you're racing against three better sailors. 

NZ should pay them and keep them together for this defence and at least another. 

That's why the US should go super young - find the best talent and go two cycles. That kid would be Burling's current age or a bit older in two cycles. 

I was thinking about this...

Glen is staying put. He could have moved to Oracle if he wanted to this time around, and probably written his own paycheck. I think so long as there is an ETNZ he will be there. 

Pb would be an idiot to leave. He's a national hero right now, and will be making whatever is reasonable plus getting lessons from Gashby. moving would just be a loose loose unless he gets a massive offer ETNZ can't match. 

So Turk is the only one I can see leaving... ETNZ will probably want to keep him, but may not pay him as well. On the other hand four years of training with Gashby would mean a lot to his development. 

I really think Gashby is the foundation of this team, and I think they will keep it together. 

Tuke isnt going anywhere. He and Burling have been together for many years now, as friends, 49er crew over 2 Olympics and 4 years of world champs, and now a full ETNZ campaign. After what happened to Coutts & Butterworth in the NZ media when they jumped ship to Alinghi for the '03 cup, I'm sure the memories and feelings are still pretty strong. Any of those 3 leaving to a new team would become overnight the most hated people in NZ. Not gonna happen.

19 hours ago, StumbleNola said:

I find $100 million hard to believe too (for ETNZ)

Pretty sure I recall reading/hearing someone from ETNZ say they'd done it on half the budget of the previous challenge, and I thought that was around the $120 million mark

Those will be NZD figures, so in USD will be around 75% of those numbers.

17 minutes ago, Thriller! said:

Tuke isnt going anywhere. He and Burling have been together for many years now, as friends, 49er crew over 2 Olympics and 4 years of world champs, and now a full ETNZ campaign. After what happened to Coutts & Butterworth in the NZ media when they jumped ship to Alinghi for the '03 cup, I'm sure the memories and feelings are still pretty strong. Any of those 3 leaving to a new team would become overnight the most hated people in NZ. Not gonna happen.

Yup, and if BAR offers three times what ETNZ does? Turk is probably making $300-500,000 usd (based on what Oracle was paying Campbell). If someone rolls in and offers $1m or more it would be hard to turn down even if he wanted to stay.

Just like any athletes these guys are one bad car wreck from working at McDonalds. Walking away from that much money would just be foolish  

2 minutes ago, StumbleNola said:

Turk

Blair TUKE. Come on man let's get that right to start with. Still, I don't think that he's for sale no matter the salary offered.

Even PB point-blank refused to say if he will be with ETNZ for AC36. He will get a negotiating agent, if he doesn't already have one.

Bigger, is Gashby.

I hope that East coast entrant is the NYYC.

Would be really good for the regatta to have those guys back.

2 minutes ago, ~Stingray~ said:

Even PB point-blank refused to say if he will be with ETNZ for AC36. He will get a negotiating agent, if he doesn't already have one.

Bigger, is Gashby.

PB and Tuke are not going anywhere. Anyone want to wager with me?

6 hours ago, AClass USA 230 said:

not in results, but he's damned talented!

6 minutes ago, ~Stingray~ said:

Bigger, is Gashby.

Yes I noticed PB skirting that yesterday too, although today he was interviewed on Radio NZ and talked about "the matter of an upcoming defence."

He's obviously a driven person. In yesterday's press conference, GD talked about when they first met (in 2013) and that PB had said he "wanted to be skipper helm" (GD quickly correcting himself, presumably a mistake but mildly interesting nonetheless). At that time PB was only around 22 years old but had the confidence to request it, knowing full well that DB was already in that role.

Speculation in the papers today is that PB/BT want to get a Volvo under their belts too. So on face value, it's probably the case that he's not really considering jumping to another syndicate, but more keeping his options open to ensure it fits with his goals.

I agree though, the big deal is GA. Keeping him is key. GD gave him a lot of credit yesterday for key design decisions and his cool head was clearly hugely significant. (e.g. in that first LV final at the final gate).