strider470

Luna Rossa Challenge. AC 36

On 7/19/2020 at 10:18 AM, buckdouger said:

God damn, I'm putting my money on Luna Rossa, first they defeated Batman, Team New Zealand couldn't compare to a Billionaire Philanthropist could they?!

Batman: Bane Masks Sales Surge During Quarantine

On 7/18/2020 at 12:30 AM, Xlot said:

V&P must have heard you, they just put out a video “is a tactician needed?”, hope they do the English version too since it’s rather interesting

Basically, they agree with VV tha the main tactical decisions will be taken before the race. Quite nice similitude with a bobsled, where the “push” phase is the start, then you bounce from turn/boundary to the next one, and in the meantime you keep the thing straight/flying

Still, they say that dispensing with an onboard tactician is too big a risk. Rather, the tactician should earn his keep by also grinding, like TH’s planning to do

They detest boundaries, and say a mid-course very wide gate would have offered more tactical situations

• Like 1

On 7/20/2020 at 4:08 PM, darth reapius said:

God damn, I'm putting my money on Luna Rossa, first they defeated Batman, Team New Zealand couldn't compare to a Billionaire Philanthropist could they?!

The Kiwis are probably still trying to work out how the CoR managed to get its name on every boat, while the defender has its name on none.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xlot said:

<  snip>

Always interesting I find.

Funny in the entire discussion no mention of the fact that helm/tactition worked so well for etnz last time, and the entire plan may just be a bit of xerox. I understand Pete B. was getting some input from Glen and Blair, but as they mention things are happening fast and those other team members have a lot on as well.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, barfy said:

Funny in the entire discussion no mention of the fact that helm/tactition worked so well for etnz last time, and the entire plan may just be a bit of xerox. I understand Pete B. was getting some input from Glen and Blair, but as they mention things are happening fast and those other team members have a lot on as well.

I think how jobs are distributed depends very much on the team. The winning team will likely keep things much the same if they are happy with how things are. The boat itself is a massive change so keeping the team roles the same might be a very good idea. Of course if a challenger cleans up with a very different approach, it will become the new paradigm.

But as NO said, you can't just keep turning up with the same formula, you have to keep improving. I think ETNZ knows that and is continuing to develop, just not in ways that are obvious to those observing vicariously via postings in these forums.

I’m sure GA will be calling the shots when crunch time comes, in all kinds of ways.

During AC34 SF, (and maybe AC35 Bermuda too?) ETNZ flaunted the media rules, claimed their onboard comms were simply disfunctional, and so nobody could hear the calls being made and by whom. Yes, that communications and decision-making process is a critical factor. 

• Downvote 1

8 hours ago, RobG said:

I think how jobs are distributed depends very much on the team. The winning team will likely keep things much the same if they are happy with how things are. The boat itself is a massive change so keeping the team roles the same might be a very good idea. Of course if a challenger cleans up with a very different approach, it will become the new paradigm.

But as NO said, you can't just keep turning up with the same formula, you have to keep improving. I think ETNZ knows that and is continuing to develop, just not in ways that are obvious to those observing vicariously via postings in these forums.

The biggest change as I've been noticing is etnz always doing the no look.they only got to shake it outta the bag once last time, but it's the way they roll now. Other teams have certainly taken notice.

It's all we can do to vicariously observe. :D

• Downvote 1

8 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

During AC34 SF, (and maybe AC35 Bermuda too?) ETNZ flaunted the media rules

Proof or STFU Muppet.

Edit: ohhh, I'll git out me database...

• Downvote 1

On 7/22/2020 at 10:38 AM, RobG said:

The Kiwis are probably still trying to work out how the CoR managed to get its name on every boat, while the defender has its name on none.

Or rubbing there hands together this challenger thats all they are at this stage and on the other side of the world,

Has paid for there name on everything on a event that only kiwis will be watching.....

14 hours ago, NZL4EVER said:

Or rubbing there hands together this challenger thats all they are at this stage and on the other side of the world,

Has paid for there name on everything on a event that only kiwis will be watching.....

Not true. Sports starved Americans will watch even on replay. We are now watching baseball with nobody in the stands...

Novel type of training for the LR crew? Borlenghi photo

Do that on the Waitemata without a wet suit :) 

0BD0F64A-E671-4572-91E2-B24F3A038BB6.jpeg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Xlot said:

Somehow, I don’t envision the guy in the picture being told “you know, after all we’re not going to AKL”

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Xlot said:

Somehow, I don’t envision the guy in the picture being told “you know, after all we’re not going to AKL”

Maybe he just secured a new job as a rock shifter after getting his DCM from the Handbags.
99A35B87-EBAE-41AA-8F0D-2EE8FC6875F4.jpeg.7f43a72b88c00aee4abd6e3f50df0c75.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Almost looks like Blake on the right - Is it? 

Not sure if Blakey was a diving cyclor.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Almost looks like Blake on the right - Is it? 

It was a fundraising event for the Spirit of New Zealand, so highly possible he was there mucking in.

11 hours ago, Xlot said:

Do that on the Waitemata without a wet suit :) 

0BD0F64A-E671-4572-91E2-B24F3A038BB6.jpeg

Standard surf training actually

• Like 1

9 hours ago, buckdouger said:

this boat has the sexiest sails IMHO...the sheen off the weave shows up the trim like no other boat. basic black...yummm

• Like 1

6 hours ago, barfy said:

this boat has the sexiest sails IMHO...the sheen off the weave shows up the trim like no other boat. basic black...yummm

UK, ITA, and NZL are all using North 3Di, while USA is backed by Quantum. 3Di is a non-woven composite material comprised of thin plys of uni-directional fiber. I could be incorrect, but looking at AM's sails in the most recent pics from Auckland, Quantum are still using "string sail" technology where the strings (fibers) are sandwiched between two outer layers- typically mylar, but in some cases an ultralight woven polyester. I believe they have been using the tafeta (ultralight poly) to attempt to mimic the appearance of the 3Di sails as opposed to the typical use case for tafeta in laminates, durability at the expense of weight. Either way, what you're seeing should be visible on both UK and NZL boats given the right lighting conditions. Each team is likely testing their own fiber layouts (to best handle the loads in a particular area of the sail), and in the case of 3Di they might be able to also vary the tapes they are using to achieve some desired result. Think back to the IACC days when the 3DL headsails used higher modulus carbon (black in color) up the leech and luff, and lower modulus and more forgiving aramid (yellow/gold in color) in the foot and areas subjected to impacts on the rig or deck as a simple use case. The finish (what you're considering sheen) of the 3Di would, however, be very similar from team to team.

Edit: It is possible that "external" tapes (HMPE, aramid, or poly, or even a blend)  could be applied to 3Di, but unlikely as this is typically reserved for off shore sails which need to withstand a lap of the planet. Inshore specific sails, and in particular sails for the AC would focus more on weight savings and having just enough fiber to support the sail shape.

• Like 5

And...aren't the "Quantum" sails on AM actually being built by Doyle?  Another great DeVos PR move.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, zenmasterfred said:

And...aren't the "Quantum" sails on AM actually being built by Doyle?  Another great DeVos PR move.

I am unsure of that. I do believe they both share a lamination process, or maybe even the same manufacturing site? Or maybe Q can build sails up to X luff dimension, and they contract the larger sails to Doyle. Pre 3Di, Doyle sails were very popular among the super yacht group, which would mean they had the equipment/process/space to handle larger sails.

I would be fairly confident saying that most teams are finishing their own sails, or at least heavily involved in the finishing of the sails at either North or Quantum/Doyle facilities.

1 hour ago, zenmasterfred said:

Could also have something to do with Hap's relationship to Mike Sanderson ala the Bella Mente program.

• Like 1

AM sails, as per the other Quantum badged sails on Maxi72 programs etc, are Doyle membranes built in their NZ plant which will be finished by the AM sail makers - the same finishing process will apply for all the other teams with their 3Di sails. Usually the final luff curves, edge tapes, corners etc are all finished 'in-house' by the teams after receiving raw panels with plot lines for the modelled shape. This may be slightly different for the structural headsails - their luff edge may be 'pre-finished' but I'd expect they still need some tapes and corner detailing...

It is interesting seeing the fibres so clearly in the AM sails - typically the Doyle/Q membranes are finished with a less transparent taffeta. I'm guessing this is a weight saving choice (and the usual taffetas used by Maxi teams etc may be aesthetic choices)??

I think Quantum did make some of the headsails for their TP52 and other smaller GP programmes in-house still but this may have changed.

The sheen off the Luna Rossa sails that @barfy mentioned could be coincidence from camera angles, images from heavy-air sails that have more fibres in them or just the Mediterranean sun being a shit-load stronger than UK summer and NZ winter light... 

• Like 1

On 7/29/2020 at 10:57 PM, Forourselves said:

Quick!

Lack of seagull so speed isn’t relative.. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

Lack of seagull so speed isn’t relative.. 

Oh we’ve got flying Kiwis so that will do us here.

10 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Oh we’ve got flying Kiwis so that will do us here.

Do the Italians have well dressed sparrows? 

25 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

Yes, yes they do.images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS8WluNx1JVcnZ4XABeYEe

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Forourselves said:

Yes, yes they do.images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS8WluNx1JVcnZ4XABeYEe

Oh dear.  If there was ANYTHING these guys were supposed to get right, it was their apparel.  Those lifejackets look like they were designed by the handbag department.

4 minutes ago, NSP said:

^ SF presumably

Ah. That’s explain the catamaran they’re standing on. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ex-yachtie said:

Oh dear.  If there was ANYTHING these guys were supposed to get right, it was their apparel.  Those lifejackets look like they were designed by the handbag department.

Ffs. 

2 hours ago, Ex-yachtie said:

Well at least they made an effort unlike S&S who will be wearing their long johns and some leased children’s flotation devices.

CAB33D16-5699-4017-91BD-984D78828A1F.thumb.jpeg.3da3e35dff2a6920e8933ef1ee4e65da.jpeg

A1FC05E5-4198-4FF4-B683-CB0308D401C6.jpeg.e5eb06337f01a8c6d16c82e87e785e6b.jpeg

• Like 1

21 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

They may not have ever been that fast, but they've always looked good...

https://www.sport2u.tv/sail2u-con-vasco-vascotto/

Here an interesting interview with Vasco Vascotto about LR and his role in the team. Basically, he says that: 

-  They doubted from the start that a tactician would be on-board on the AC75, the boat is too power dependent. The tactical decision are made before the start, so he is the tactician, but probably he won't be on-board. 

- This Cup is such a technological leap forward from the previews one that he wanted to be part of it to learn how to manage this new boats, and create a gap with sailors out of the Cup circuit. 

- He didn't sail a lot on LR, he was onboard only at the first stages of development. Every minute is crucial, because AC75 are hard to sail and sailing time is not huge (they get out for training 2-3 time per week, in a good week, at first) so they train with the people that will be onboard on the Cup. 

- He's not only tactician but also the manager of the sails development, and it's better for him to see sails performance from outside the boat. 

- The boat is very stable. They sail faster than 40 knots without perception of such a speed. It's like drivig a Ferrari or a McLaren, cars that go easily at 300Kh/h, so if you drive at 250Km/h  you don't realize the speed until you watch the speedometer. 

- At first the main focus of the boat development were hull and foils. Now they put a lot of resources on sails development, since it's a key part of the boat and they found great ways to develop it. He makes important calls deciding what line of development can work, and how to make it work in time for the Cup. 

- Challengers and Defender will meet only ten days before the Prada Cup, so although every team can see the boat design of the other competitors there's no way to understand what really works. He jokes about the fact that the designers have different ideas but the computer also must read those ideas differently, because the teams endend up with very different concepts. He says great things about LR design team, and he' sure that they are on the right way of design, but also the competitors have top designers, and they designed different concepts, so it will be very interesting Cup, and designers will be fundamental, since there are only few one-design parts on this boats. (sorry for the word repetition)

- The AC75 are so new that there are a lot of leaks in the Rule to develop the boats. 

- The boat go faster day bay day, they have to decide a fair trade off between the speed and the risks to get that speed. 

- He wanted to be part of this Cup not only to use all the knowledge he get in the Valencia Edition (he was tactician on Shosholoza) but also to learn how to manage a Cup campaign

- He's very proud that the sailing team is all italian + JS, that is now italian by adoption 

• Like 13

On 7/20/2020 at 1:15 AM, Zaal said:

https://www.corriere.it/sport/20_gennaio_05/coppa-america-luna-rossa-sta-sorgendo-il-doppio-timoniere-df5bf6d4-2ff1-11ea-8ee1-1d9fce076d0e.shtml

Trying to understand who will be on LR, I found this interview  (not very recent) where Checco Bruni says that the minimum people required to sail the boat is three: two helmsman (that can be also trimmers) and the mainsail trimmer. He says also that they're trying the double helmsman configuration. 

Nobody talks about a flight controller, but I think is quite obvious that there will be such a role.

My opinion is that they will have two helmsman, JS and Bruni, and they will switch from the helmsman to the flight controller role. When one of them is helming, the other one controls the foils, than they switch.  The LR web serie shows JS both helming and with a sort of computer / box in the hands. And he seems to be always portside. Do you think this could be possible? Looking at the LR roster, I can't think at anyone else but these two at the flight control, while they have other very good trimmers. 

So a possible starting crew could be: JS / Bruni ( switching helmsman / flight controller), De Felice (mainsail trimmer) , Mongelli (navigator) and I think Shannon Falcone will be also onboard. Any ideas about the others?  Looking at LR sailing team, VV seems to be the only tactician. 

Still wondering the starting crew of LR. Any ideas? 

Don't let Smack see that interview. Especially the part where he says "The boat is very stable"

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Zaal said:

https://www.sport2u.tv/sail2u-con-vasco-vascotto/

Here an interesting interview with Vasco Vascotto about LR and his role in the team. Basically, he says that: 

- The AC75 are so new that there are a lot of leaks in the Rule to develop the boats. 

- The boat go faster day bay day, they have to decide a fair trade off between the speed and the risks to get that speed. 

Those 2 look tasty, and could lead to some 'excitement' later.

& thanks for the effort

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nav said:

@Zaal says this.

But always the trade for the dangerous speed is...VMG

3 hours ago, barfy said:

@Zaal says this.

But always the trade for the dangerous speed is...VMG

Sailing for max VMG may reduce boat speed some, but saying that going for VMG can take you out of "dangerous speed" is a bit much.

While max VMG is the objective, sometimes a little less angle can make for better VMG due to better sustained speeds.  And with wind above 10 knots, all of the foiling AC boats have been going pretty fast even when at max VMG. 

Also, the "dangerous speed" aspect is mostly in the maneuvers where you are not choosing any specific heading looking for better VMG.

Now when you get into discussion of cavitation avoidance, going deeper to get more VMG at slightly lower speeds does seem to be the well accepted "tradeoff" that has existed since the days of the 72' foilers.  

from this Gtran 

https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&nv=1&pto=aue&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&sp=nmt4&tl=en&u=https://www.ansa.it/sardegna/notizie/2020/08/03/coppa-america-centralabs-cagliari-realizza-simulatore-ac75_6f5c5fe0-85cd-4435-bbd9-d9ece8c53b0f.html&usg=ALkJrhhy_T9k1SsdtmCZkdNIs-yvjRlPhQ

The Cor36 decided to rely on CentraLabs, for the realization of the simulator which, for information purposes, will be installed in the America's Cup regatta village. It will be available to visitors and will allow you to understand the difficulties and sensations of navigating on a flying monohull like the AC75

??

I take it not that the speed itself is the risk, it is desirable, but that the diminished control surfaces, (or other changes) that make it possible introduce added risk and therefor need to be carefully considered......

17 hours ago, P Flados said:

Sailing for max VMG may reduce boat speed some, but saying that going for VMG can take you out of "dangerous speed" is a bit much.

While max VMG is the objective, sometimes a little less angle can make for better VMG due to better sustained speeds.  And with wind above 10 knots, all of the foiling AC boats have been going pretty fast even when at max VMG. 

Also, the "dangerous speed" aspect is mostly in the maneuvers where you are not choosing any specific heading looking for better VMG.

Now when you get into discussion of cavitation avoidance, going deeper to get more VMG at slightly lower speeds does seem to be the well accepted "tradeoff" that has existed since the days of the 72' foilers.  

Good points. But going by the last two cycles it's wind above 20 knots, not ten, where downwind speeds build to the point where bits blow off the boats. What's the pointy end, 3x windspeed downhill? That puts ten knot wind at 30, but 20 knot pushing the cavitation limit and hydro control to the limit.

4 hours ago, buckdouger said:

weren't there supposed to be proximity 'diamonds'?

fuck that was actually pretty close!

So we know Jimmy steers on stbd then....

• Like 2

... and it’s simply criminal that these LR fans won’t be allowed into NZ 

• Like 1

which ones

you have around 6 months to get covid free

should be able to do it at a doddle

so no worries if you have faith in your leadership and population you can book the tickets now

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Xlot said:

Surely you jest good sir. You know how hard we have worked to get to this point. Whatever it may be, it's a fuck of A lot better than your position, and the fact that I can say that irrigardless of wherever you are located is telling. But, truly, stay well.

28 minutes ago, phill_nz said:

you have around 6 months to get covid free

should be able to do it at a doddle

Sure, but won’t you feel lonely - now that unfortunately the events in Victoria have proven the fallacy of the vaunted Oceania Bubble?

In fact, if you deign to consult Worldometer, you’ll see that Italy is currently (touch wood) surprisingly successful in managing the dance phase - which was from the start the only viable strategy waiting for a vaccine / monoclonal antibodies

But back to sailing, I’m reminded of how cheerful the Alinghi Fans cowbells were ...

52 minutes ago, Xlot said:

Sure, but won’t you feel lonely - now that unfortunately the events in Victoria have proven the fallacy of the vaunted Oceania Bubble?

no not at all

and

im not sure it was ever taken as more than a remote possibility here,  as most here were never confidant that they would not have another major outbreak

But there goes 5% of your GDP, no?

Whats the GDP loss from having wild Covid?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, hoom said:

Whats the GDP loss from having wild Covid?

No wild Covid, but a reasonably managed dance phase, with efficient tracing. Living around the corner from the Colosseim, I was pleasantly surprised to see the first tourists trickling back - Germans (god bless ‘em), but we even love the Dutch. Of course, one has to be extra careful to avoid a second wave, as in Spain 

Tracing has other benefits too, like the idiot Austrian tourist who damaged a. Canova statue was quickly identified and nabbed, since he had to register at the entrance

• Like 1

People who think it's "criminal" AC fans are prevented by law or regulation from watching live perhaps don't grasp how fortunate or privileged  they may  have been if they watched live. They not only had the interest, they had the time and resources to be at the venue in person.  Could be considerable time and resources...not every fan has one or the other or both. In ANY Cup cycle. 

So now the fortunate 5% have joined the other 95% to watch remotely

• Like 1

8 hours ago, barfy said:

Surely you jest good sir. You know how hard we have worked to get to this point. Whatever it may be, it's a fuck of A lot better than your position, and the fact that I can say that irrigardless of wherever you are located is telling. But, truly, stay well.

Lighten up, I took his comments more to mean it is a shame that LR fans will not be able to watch the races in person.  Not that he literally that it was a severe crime!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, The_Alchemist said:

fans will not be able to watch the races in person

Best watched on the telly anyhow as these new fangled flying machines travel so wickedly fast that water based spectating has become a thing of the past.

23 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Best watched on the telly anyhow as these new fangled flying machines travel so wickedly fast that water based spectating has become a thing of the past.

It all depends upon the venue and the race courses.  It was awesome to be in the grand stands in Bermuda, we had large screen monitors, separate commentators and the finish line was right in front of the grandstands. 

SF was a spectacular place to hold the Cup. 

If the city had allowed LE to purchase Pier 80 (instead of letting some other party get it, to build a sports stadium on) then AC35 would have been held again on the SF Bay. 

35 minutes ago, The_Alchemist said:

It all depends upon the venue and the race courses.  It was awesome to be in the grand stands in Bermuda, we had large screen monitors, separate commentators and the finish line was right in front of the grandstands. 

Auckland offers only 2 realistic viewing options with North Head the best for courses B and C with A D and E too far away.

Course C from Bastion Point will be great.

Davenport is going to be a traffic nightmare.

m314_crop169014_1024x576_proportional_153568914103EE.thumb.jpeg.24390e9a632f1909b80bac826dc5db70.jpeg

hop on a ferry and walk up Rangitoto with a deck chair, snacks and a few cold beers. A,B,C,D covered

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lickindip said:

hop on a ferry and walk up Rangitoto with a deck chair, snacks and a few cold beers. A,B,C,D covered

Bugger the walk racing would be over by the time you reached the summit tractor would be the go.

C7E46B9A-CA3A-4698-A815-0C3160EE4AB3.jpeg.68d57b785fced01eb26a5802228d4923.jpeg

1 minute ago, Priscilla said:

Bugger the walk racing would be over by the time you reached the summit tractor would be the go.

C7E46B9A-CA3A-4698-A815-0C3160EE4AB3.jpeg.68d57b785fced01eb26a5802228d4923.jpeg

is that actually available??? might have to bring a few more beers

as long as the racing is App viewable so you can follow the living racing what a mint spot to watch it from

17 hours ago, Xlot said:

Nonsense!! If they're covid-free and they're happy to quarantine for 14 days, they're welcome. Otherwise, stay-the-fuck-away and watch AC36 on livestream...

32 minutes ago, Indio said:

Nonsense!! If they're covid-free and they're happy to quarantine for 14 days, they're welcome. Otherwise, stay-the-fuck-away and watch AC36 on livestream...

Any news about what broadcasters will have the stream around the world?

5 minutes ago, nroose said:

Any news about what broadcasters will have the stream around the world?

That was all part of the brief for Mayo & Calder who, as has transpired, are now looking for new jobs. There won't be a shortage of interested parties - Amazon's AWS platform being one.

There should be some more information coming out soon..

bt usually has it for the uk

and it's one of the easiest streams to find